Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games > Walkthroughs and Let's Plays

Notices

Search this Thread
Old December 17, 2010, 12:47:55 PM
Kyurem

Default Hustling Through Kanto: A Nuzlocke Run

Hello everyone! Thanks to Flow, I have been pumped full of the desire to do a Nuzlocke Challenge. I will be playing one of the first Pokemon games: Pokemon Red Version. I will be observing the following rules:

1) When a Pokemon faints, it is 'dead' and must be released.

2) Only the first Pokemon seen on a route may be captured. If one flees from it, it faints, or it itself flees, no Pokemon may be obtained on that route.

3) Event Pokemon count as Pokemon for that area (i.e. Eevee in Celadon City)

4) Items and Pokemon Centers can be used without limit.

5) One Pokemon can be caught per area in the Safari Zone.

And with rules in place, I have started the first part of this unique play style!

1: A Tentative Start    
Day 1: A Tentative Start

I started the game like many other runs of Red version, but this time I knew things would be far different. I withdrew the single Potion from my PC, and dashed into the grass outside of Pallet Town knowing Oak would stop me. At his lab, I chose Charmander, opposed to my usual choice of Bulbasaur. SALALAVA is its name, a pitiful combination of "salamander" and "lava". After besting BLUE, I head to Viridian and back to complete the Pokedex mini-quest. On Route 1 I encountered Pokemon without having Pokeballs, so no Pokemon for me on that route!

After obtaining the glorious Pokedex, I head to the west of Viridian and catch a fine level 4 Rattata. CHEDDAR is the little deviant's name, and after training a bit we head on up to the menacing Viridian Forest. A Weedle named JIB JAB then joins the party, proving it's worth with Poison Sting. Bug Catchers whimper following their losses, and out of the forest we go. YORKER the Pidgey is the last Pokemon I obtain today, and the rest of my time was spent grinding. With NORMAL, FIRE, and POISON moves as my only options, fighting Brock will not be easy...

PARTY

:4: SALALAVA Level 12
:19: CHEDDAR Level 10
:16: YORKER Level 10
:15: JIB JAB Level 10

GRAVEYARD

None

2: Cold, Bitter Loss    
Day 2: Cold, Bitter Loss

What I perceived to be a threat, Brock, proved out to be nothing but a full-blown stall war. Growls, Leers, and Sand Attacks kept his Rock Pokemon weak, and SALALAVA could Ember to take advantage of their poor Special stats. With Boulder Badge in hand, I tore through the trainers East of Viridian City, and obtained PECKER the Spearow in the grass. (my genius at nicknames is shining through right now). I dash into Mt. Moon hoping for a Geodude, but I end up with SCREECHER the Zubat. (more top-quality naming) I train the two up a bit, and maul some of the mountain's trainers. CHEDDAR learns how to spit on Rock Pokemon thanks to TM Water Gun, which finally handles my severe weakness to Rock-types. Things are clearly going well for the team, but I get greedy.

We go deep into the cave, team in less-than-great condition, when a Rocket pops out of the blue. Level 16 Raticate. The team struggles to lower the behemoth's HP, and my Pokemon are being brought in and out constantly. Disaster strikes when a vicious critical hit is dealt by the disgusting rat. You will be sincerely missed. SALALAVA. I won't lose another to this putrid cave. Looks like KOIPHISH the Magikarp can fit on the team.

PARTY

:19: CHEDDAR Level 16
:15: JIB JAB Level 14
:41: SCREECHER Level 10
:16: YORKER Level 16
:21: PECKER Level 12
KOIPHISH Level 5

GRAVEYARD

:4: SALALAVA Level 15; Mt. Moon

3: A Watery Grave    
Day 3: A Watery Grave

Hustling out of Mt. Moon, I snatch up the Helix Fossil generously offered to me by the Super Nerd. I teach TM Whirlwind to SCREECHER, for lack of better moves, and HISSY the Ekans joins the party. Anything to get rid of KOIPHISH. I head into Cerulean in need of more Potions, Pokeballs, and the health of my Pokemon. More powerful training is done, but my battle with BLUE was a regrettable one. A Level 18 Pidgeotto overwhelmed my team, causing me to use all of my 11 Potions. More importantly, though, I suffered the loss of precious JIB JAB. Fury Attack was simply not reliable enough, and the poor thing fell. Rattata and Abra were jokes. Squirtle however, blasted its way through my team, leaving me with no Potions, and a pocketful of unhealthy Pokemon. The constant shuffling lead to a team full of Pokemon that could each be destroyed with a single Water Gun. Having no choice, I had to sacrifice precious SCREECHER to allow for the survival of its comrades. The Nugget Bridge proves just as bad for KOIPHISH, who worked as a suitable sacrifice for the good of the team. Thankfully, though, I find nothing but an Abra in the grass! Thanks to HISSY's Wrap, Abra can not escape, and TELEKINESO is the newest member of the party! I shall endeavor to keep this one around longer.

PARTY

:19: CHEDDAR Level 16
:16: YORKER Level 17
:21: PECKER Level 14
:23: HISSY Level 16
:63: TELEKINESO Level 10

GRAVEYARD

:15: JIB JAB Level 14; Route 24
:41: SCREECHER Level 12; Route 24
KOIPHISH Level 7; Route 24

4: A Long Silence    
Day 4: A Long Silence

The silence refers to the fact that I forgot about this thread existing, but got re-excited when I saw people comment on it a week ago. ANYway, with TELEKINESO in party, I had another complex similar to KOIPHISH. Thankfully, TELEKINESO evolves into something more useful, and in much shorter time than KOIPHISH. With the useful switch-in switch-out strategy, I can evolve TELEKINESO after defeating the trainers creeping around Bill's house. Misty's blubbering apprentices make for some easy pickings, but Misty is a different story. HISSY can take down Staryu (just barely), but must avoid confrontation with the powerful Starmie. TELEKINESO is brought in to deliver a useful Thunder Wave, crippling the speedy starfish, but a Bubblebeam to the face nearly kills the spooned fox! My options are limited. I have no choice but to bring in deer sweet PECKER. I would rather not discuss how I ended up with one more TM but one fewer friend.

The mediocre police officer dozing in front of a train-wrecked house finally rolls out of the way, letting me wander inside. I wonder what sort of brouhaha occurred here, and I meet up with a charming Rocket Grunt outside. He yields bountiful returns in the form of a single TM: Dig. Near the daycare man's house I catch a useful friend! A Grass-type! (admittedly it would have been useful earlier, but I shall take what I can get). Expecting Bellsprout? TOO BAD. THIS IS RED VERSION. I get CANNASNIFF the Oddish. Geodude beware!

More training to be had in the grass north of Vermillion City, with some close calls. (CHEDDAR at 2 HP!) Thankfully, I catch CHIMPS the Mankey, who will be useful if I ever need a Fighting-type (which will likely be never). I also catch SNOOZER the Drowzee (also useless) and GUACA the Diglett! Now this is what I am talking about! And right before the Electric Gym, too! Now, it is time for a voyage. Upon the S.S. Anne I go, with evolved Pokemon in pocket.

PARTY

:20: CHEDDAR Level 21
:17: YORKER Level 20
:43: CANNASNIFF Level 17
:23: HISSY Level 21
:64: TELEKINESO Level 21
:50: GUACA Level 21
GRAVEYARD

:21: PECKER Level 16 Cerulean Gym

5: Welcome to S.S. ANNE!    
Day 5: Welcome to S.S. ANNE!

Boarding the creaky old cruise ship while hearing water splashing against the nearby coast, I knew that this ship would have some surprises in store for me. Most of the ship's crew seems to be exhausted from the party that I missed, because they don't seem to mind me stealing their Potions and TMs, and some are delusional enough to think of me as a waiter bringing them cherry pie. Most notably, I obtained TM Rest, which will be insanely useful when I acquire the Pokeflute. The ship proves to be rather simple, as none of the challengers prove much of a fight. Even BLUE was downright mediocre! His Pokemon have barely gained any levels. Thankfully, the Water-types on board allow dear CANNASNIFF to evolve into a Gloom! Huzzah! In fact, the ship proved to be good news for both of my Poison types, as HISSY evolved as well! After I give the Captain one of my "special" massages (wink) I hop off the ship and watch it sail into the distance. Gee, I sure hope BLUE didn't forget something on the ship. Like a Pokemon or something. That would be awful. Anyway, Cut allows for instant travel to Lt. Surge's Gym, which is where I shall be heading next with my buffed up team!

PARTY

:20: CHEDDAR Level 22
:17: YORKER Level 21
:44: CANNASNIFF Level 21
:24: HISSY Level 22
:64: TELEKINESO Level 22
:50: GUACA Level 22
GRAVEYARD

6: Old Switches in the Trash    
Day 6: Old Switches in the Trash
Since CANNASNIFF is the only one that can learn it, the walking rafflesia was forced to learn Cut! The Electric-types of this Gym proved mediocre at best, since CANNASNIFF and GUAVA can take Electric hits all day, HISSY and spam Dig, and TELEKINESO is great in general. After some battles and Pokecentering, I challenge the kooky war veteran. A level 21 Voltorb. No problem! TELEKINESO whips this thing into shape easily, mostly because Surge is too busy spamming X Speeds on the thing. Next up is a level... 18 Pikachu? 18? Really? The devastatingly under-leveled mouse goes down for the count with ease thanks to GUACA. Finally... the trump card. A level 24 Raichu. It seems unlikely that I will be able to escape without casualties of war. I send in noble CHEDDAR, as he is the strongest of the bunch. Courage! The durable rat endures a powerful Thunderbolt with minimal HP to spare! Mayday! Hyper Fang lowers Raichu's HP drastically, but not low enough for a Quick Attack. I use the move anyway, and am surprised to see Surge use an X Speed. The next Quick Attack finished the thing off, and I leave the gym with all of my team members safe and sound. But will they stay that way?

:20: CHEDDAR Level 22
:17: YORKER Level 21
:44: CANNASNIFF Level 22
:24: HISSY Level 22
:64: TELEKINESO Level 23
:50: GUACA Level 22
GRAVEYARD

7: I Keep Stubbing my Toe!    
Day 7: I Keep Stubbing My Toe!

Oh gracious, after beating Surge I knew I had to go through one of my least favorite dungeons: Rock Tunnel. After fighting my way through Diglett's Cave to get HM Flash, I used TELEKINESO to Teleport over to Cerulean, where I could make my way to Rock Tunnel. Thankfully, I am able to catch KAMIKAZE the Voltorb outside of the Tunnel! He should make for a good back-up Pokemon if things... go wrong. Inside the tunnel. LITIUM the Geodude finds his way into the PC, who may also prove useful in the future. Inside the tunnel are trainers galore, from Hikers to Cool Trainers. After the devastatingly long cavern, I enter Lavender Town. Inside of Pokemon Tower is BLUE waiting for me, and he proved to be a thoroughly under-whelming opponent! Things are going well for the team, and I should hope that they stay like that...

:20: CHEDDAR Level 26
:17: YORKER Level 25
:44: CANNASNIFF Level 26
:24: HISSY Level 25
:64: TELEKINESO Level 26
:51: GUACA Level 26
GRAVEYARD

Day 8: The Longest Chapter Ever

Uh, so, I ended up playing a lot more than I could write, so this Gym is going to cover my time from Pokemon Tower to Cinnabar Island. Get ready for a long read...

After trouncing BLUE at Pokemon Tower, I knew that without a Silph Scope there was no use going further, so I headed to my favorite city! Celadon City! To the East of Lavender I find a Growlithe in the grass, and HOWLER is added to the party, at the expense of HISSY. It saddens me to have to deposit HISSY, but her use is diminishing and seeing her die would not be nice. HOWLER is not great, since the only good move he learns is at level 51 (Flamethrower), but having team diversity is still nice. Upon arriving at the gorgeous City of Celadon, I pop into the giant skyscraper in the middle and snatch up a free Eevee! BLITZKRIEG the Eevee replaces CHEDDAR, who is also proving less useful. I quickly pop into Celadon Dept. Store, and shove a Thunderstone, a Rare Candy, and TM Thunderbolt down Eevee's mouth to make it a killing machine. I also buy a Leaf Stone and Water Stone in case I need them in the future.

After spending literally all of my money on Game Corner coins, I head out east of Celadon and pick up SPEEDSTER the Doduo in the grass, as well as HM Fly. I did some stat checks, and Doduo is a very good Flying-type compared to Pidgeotto. Sorry, YORKER, but I have to make a substitution.

Last edited by Alakazamaster; January 23, 2011 at 02:23:27 PM.
Old January 1, 2011, 07:09:06 AM
Zoroark

Interesting rules, this is fun to follow! I can't imagine how hard the Elite Four is going to be, though.
Old January 1, 2011, 07:46:08 AM
Giratina

Sounds like a good challenge to pass time as the release of Black/White is approaching. I must ask, though: are those rules 'fixed' or can someone change them according to their preference?
Old January 1, 2011, 04:46:06 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Sounds like a good challenge to pass time as the release of Black/White is approaching. I must ask, though: are those rules 'fixed' or can someone change them according to their preference?
First 2 (possibly the 3rd as well) rules are fixed. The other ones are up to the player.

I'd certainly like to see more of this Kaz. I'm sad to see you had a Magikarp that fainted though... D:
Old January 1, 2011, 04:47:53 PM
Giratina

You still doing this? o3o I wanna follow along, it's cool. xD
Old January 8, 2011, 07:37:55 PM
Kyurem

...people care about this? : D

Time to get restarted! Expect a large update on the main post~! ^_^
Old January 8, 2011, 08:29:56 PM
Regigigas

This is pretty awesome. It's a shame that Salalava (the Charmander, which SHOULD be your usual choice always because Charizard is awesome, not to mention you're supposed to be biased towards Flying-types) got knocked out.
Looking forward to more parts to this.
Old January 9, 2011, 07:55:55 AM
Giratina

Hmm, I say you are lucky for having a good balance of Pokemon at this point... What sucks is that you lost Charmander because he would have owned the Magnemites in gym #3. Good luck with it, hopefully you don't lose too many... o3o
Old January 9, 2011, 08:06:50 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK View Post
What sucks is that you lost Charmander because he would have owned the Magnemites in gym #3.
This is old-skool Pokémon. Magnemites are pure Electric types, Steel doesn't exist.

Anyways, Kaz, keep doing this, it's a fun read!
Old January 9, 2011, 10:37:02 AM
Celebi

Same here Nin!
Old January 11, 2011, 03:41:03 PM
Kyurem

Bump for two chapter updates! Two updates without any deaths, safely to say.
Old January 11, 2011, 03:58:06 PM
Giratina

You still have an ossim party, already looks like you'll be good when you get tot he E4. >:3
Old January 11, 2011, 06:23:13 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK View Post
You still have an ossim party, already looks like you'll be good when you get tot he E4. >:3
How to Beat Elite 4: DIGLETT AND PIEDGEOTTO

But yeah I get what you mean. Oh, and next chapter to be uploaded soon!