Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General

Notices

Search this Thread
Old March 19, 2013, 12:43:31 PM

Default 10 years ago today...

Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire were released in North America.

Just let that sink in for a moment.

God I feel like an old man now. ._. Can you hardly believe it's officially been a DECADE since R/S? It certainly doesn't feel that it's been that long to me.
Old March 19, 2013, 01:38:19 PM

I think I was in 2nd grade when I got Pokemon Sapphire, so it really does feel like forever. I remember level grinding until my Swampert and Gardevoir were level 100 (I used only those two in the first time playing through the game), killing Kyogre on accident, and wasting my Master Ball on a Relicanth. Even though we don't have RSE remakes yet, I'm still really glad I still have the original GBA games. :3
Old March 19, 2013, 02:18:35 PM
Kyurem

I was 4 years old at the time, so it actually feels like it's been that long for me. I hadn't even started playing Pokemon yet.
Old March 19, 2013, 03:06:21 PM
Administrator

Sapphire was the first game I actually got on release day. Man, I was so excited.
Old March 19, 2013, 03:41:18 PM
Kyurem

I didn't get Pokemon Ruby until I was around 8 1/2, so it hadn't been ten years for me.
Old March 19, 2013, 04:03:37 PM
Volcarona

Hard to believe. The game really doesn't feel that old. And to think, the first time I played it was perhaps 7 years ago. First Pokémon game I ever played, too. I remember having a Level 88 Blaziken, and 5 or 4 other Pokémon, all Levels 23 to 43 which were not trained very much, either. Now I can get an entire team of Pokémon up to level 65 to 72. Looking back now, as someone who never had the patience to grind my team, I think I've improved rather well, I guess. Perhaps I should go back to my copy of Sapphire and put my new skills to the test? It's a possibility. Can't guarantee that it'll be done to celebrate it's anniversary. I've never really liked Sapphire or Ruby. Personally, I like Emerald better.
Old March 19, 2013, 04:05:27 PM
Landorus

Pokemon Sapphire was my first game, but I think it was a couple of years old by then; I was at least 7 or 8, and I would've been 6 when it came out. My brother got it for Christmas that year, and he'd started it when I took a look at it. I remember thinking, "There's enough room on the menu for a second save file, right?"
Wrong. I overwrote the save file. Looking back on it, I'm just glad he hadn't gotten all that far; I felt bad enough back then as it was. I got my own copy a couple of weeks later, and things went pretty smoothly from there, even though I completely missed the Master ball and ended up KOing Kyogre because I was unable to catch him, and I hadn't learned that saving before encountering a Legendary was practically protocol. Following the Braille messages to get the Regi Trio was fun, though; I remember my Mom using the Braille alphabet later that year for an Easter hunt for me and my Brother, and that was when we got Emerald (Which I kinda liked better, though Sapphire will hold a place in my heart forever.)
Old March 20, 2013, 08:59:47 AM
Haxorus

I was 6, but I didn't even know about Pokemon at the time.
Old March 20, 2013, 09:15:27 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikyEaredPichu96 View Post
Pokemon Sapphire was my first game, but I think it was a couple of years old by then; I was at least 7 or 8, and I would've been 6 when it came out. My brother got it for Christmas that year, and he'd started it when I took a look at it. I remember thinking, "There's enough room on the menu for a second save file, right?"
Wrong. I overwrote the save file. Looking back on it, I'm just glad he hadn't gotten all that far; I felt bad enough back then as it was. I got my own copy a couple of weeks later, and things went pretty smoothly from there, even though I completely missed the Master ball and ended up KOing Kyogre because I was unable to catch him, and I hadn't learned that saving before encountering a Legendary was practically protocol. Following the Braille messages to get the Regi Trio was fun, though; I remember my Mom using the Braille alphabet later that year for an Easter hunt for me and my Brother, and that was when we got Emerald (Which I kinda liked better, though Sapphire will hold a place in my heart forever.)
I guess we're all like that back then. There's always a time where we're just like that, back when we were young. I guess that brings back memories... and I know a lot of memories!

I think I'm both grateful and sad that I do not have any siblings, now that you've mentioned it. Who knows what could have happened...

Still...

Third generation is really old at this point, huh? Yet, for some reason, it's what I remember most vividly.