Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Information Kiosk > Announcements > News Archive > Crystal Islands

Notices

Search this Thread
Old April 4, 2010, 02:25:31 PM
Kyurem

Default Crystal Islands PokeDex Alpha 5: Moves, Locations, Speed

The fifth alpha of Crystal Islands' PokeDex sees light on Easter Sunday with several improvements. The most notable of these are the new move dex, which allows you to see detailed information on every move. Different Pokémon now also list their egg moves and tutor moves, while the TM moves have been condensed where possible. Location methods (like surfing) are listed for all Pokémon locations, and each Pokémon's egg groups are listed, along with all the Pokémon they are compatible with from each one. Finally, as mentioned a few days ago, each Pokémon's footprint and cry is available. To hear the cry, you must be using Mozilla Firefox 3.5+, Google Chrome 3+, or Opera 10.50+. Safari will not work (and most likely won't in the future due to lack of codec support), and all versions of Internet Explorer, including IE9, currently do not work for the same reason, codec support.

Its also worth mentioning that much of this release focused on speeding things up. Previously, every page load cost around 200-400 SQL queries, a somewhat insane number. However, it is now decreased to around 15, which should mean faster loading, while not having sacrificed any information (it should probably have been this way from the start).

Beyond this release, the PokeDex will see its last content updates in Alpha 6, the next and final alpha. Expect to see some more information in the move dex, an improved search (at least the ability to search move names), some more detailed location data for Pokémon, and who knows what else. After that there will be a few Beta releases, focusing on the user interface (such as listing general data, move data, location data, and sprites in separate pages, offering an inline IV calculator for Pokémon, etc.), and a few release candidates, who will focus solely on fixing bugs, cleaning up the code, and speeding things up. Then, the 1.0 release of the Crystal Islands PokéDex. Expect this around late May or early June. We will likely start a 2.0 Pokédex in July depending on what we don't get done in the betas.
Old April 4, 2010, 02:42:57 PM
Giratina

FW, you really are doing a great job on the site. I dunno how you can do it.

Keep up the great work.
Old April 4, 2010, 02:43:03 PM
Haxorus

You really out done this PokeDex FreezeWarp. Nice work!
Old April 4, 2010, 02:45:55 PM
Giratina

Yeah, what Legend said... I took a look at it, and I have to say, the Crystal Islands Pokedex is much better than Serebii's Pokedex which I use pretty often.
Old April 5, 2010, 10:20:45 AM
Giratina

Like always, good job FreezeWarp.
Old April 5, 2010, 02:10:37 PM
Administrator

Lookin' really awesome! Once I get my new layout up, I'll add a search box that links to it.
Old April 5, 2010, 02:52:51 PM
Volcarona

This.
Pokedex.
is.
EPIC.