Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old August 29, 2010, 12:47:54 AM
Administrator

Default The Serious Chat Thread

To go along with the standard chat thread on General, this thread is for discussing whatever is on your mind in a serious fashion.

I'll start.

Have you ever considered learning a foreign language? I'm learning Japanese, and I learned a little Spanish.
Old August 29, 2010, 01:20:06 AM
Shaymin

I have been considering picking up French again, But I'd need to get a library card again before I can attempt to rent out learning cassettes or translator books.
I would take a language class during school, but the schedules have already been made up, in addition, they rarely let the seniors change classes around. Mainly an attempt to show how grown up the seniors have gotten since arriving. Also I'm not the big type on tutoring.
Old August 29, 2010, 01:20:28 AM
Shaymin

I've been learning French for the past 10 years, and I love it. I'm also starting to learn some German using some "teach yourself" CDs and with the help of my step-dad who is fluent in German. Later on, I plan to learn Spanish and maybe Japanese.
Old August 29, 2010, 03:36:08 AM
Giratina

I've learned a bit of Spanish. I can't speak it much, but I can read the mexican constitution and understand much of what they say.

I've also considered learning Japanese to help with my anime and manga hobby, and Russian because I like it.

Although because of how different they are to English I doubt I'll get very far with them.
Old August 29, 2010, 04:24:28 AM
Giratina

My languages are all over the place. .-.
In Junior school I did some French... But then that stopped for some reason...
In High School I've been doing Spanish and German, but at the start of next term I'm not doing Spanish any more, but I'm continuing with German. I'm also trying (sort-of) to learn Japanese by myself at home. It's hard. D:

Last edited by Ningamer; August 29, 2010 at 04:24:50 AM.
Old August 29, 2010, 05:14:11 AM
Giratina

I am currently fluent in Arabic, which is my first language, and English, which is considered a foreign language for me. I used to learn French from kindergarten until grade 8. I know a lot of words in French and I can make basic sentences, but grammar is the part which confuses me the most.
I'm thinking of continuing to learn French on my own, but I'm not really sure about it.

Last edited by Shadow; August 29, 2010 at 05:17:43 AM.
Old August 29, 2010, 06:12:40 AM
Giratina

If you think it'll help you in the future, do it. In fact if you want to get into college or a good job, knowing multiple languages helps a lot.
Old August 29, 2010, 08:11:53 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredvcxz View Post
If you think it'll help you in the future, do it. In fact if you want to get into college or a good job, knowing multiple languages helps a lot.
It depends on where you live. Here in Middle East, the most important language for you to know if you want good job is English, since Arabic is the main language here. As long as you know English, you will not face any trouble in joining a college or a having a job. French comes as the second language, but not as important as English.

If I wan to speak about myself, then I can say that I am fluent in English, which is a foreign language. I know French, but not that much, as I didn't continue studying it due to IGCSE. I had to choose a language to study for IGCSE, and I chose Arabic. But being in Lebanon is quite helpful, as Lebanese talk half Arabic and half French in their daily chat. I was interested in Persian, and am still interested in it, as it is a very old language, and is close to Arabic, but it does take a lot of time, and I don't really have the time.
If I want to continue studying languages, then I want to continue studying French and Persian.
Old August 29, 2010, 01:15:11 PM
Kyurem

Languages really are very useful. I learned German in 3 years when I lived in Berlin, and when learning a language it REALLY helps if you are in the country. Naturally it is pretty hard to get as lucky as I did, but it makes a huge difference. Not only are you learning the language in school, but you are also completely immersed in the culture everywhere you go.

I'm taking Spanish class in school now, but it is not amazing. When I was learning German we often had classes where we did nothing but talk about things we liked and anything that came on our minds in German, and it is much better than going through useless drills and worksheets. I mean, isn't the whole point of learning a language having the ability to speak it?
Old August 29, 2010, 01:45:23 PM
Giratina

Quote:
On top of that, I'm personally interested in learning multiple languages because it makes me more knowledgeable. The thing is, I often find it hard to do so, especially on my own, so a starting point would really help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazamaster View Post
I'm taking Spanish class in school now, but it is not amazing. When I was learning German we often had classes where we did nothing but talk about things we liked and anything that came on our minds in German, and it is much better than going through useless drills and worksheets. I mean, isn't the whole point of learning a language having the ability to speak it?
This is exactly my thought as well. When I used to learn French, the school focused on grammar and vocabulary more than speaking the language itself. Plus, we used to have 3 classes per week, and since we had a good number of students in class, we couldn't progress very much (especially with the misbehaviour of some students). That's why even after 8 years of learning French, I'm still not very good at it.

Last edited by Shadow; August 29, 2010 at 02:38:29 PM.
Old August 29, 2010, 02:35:35 PM
Giratina

I haven't yet seen my new German class, but I'm guessing it'll be pretty small. Of the 30-or-so people on my old class, there were only three or four of us who actually chose to continue into Year 10. And there were only two German classes before. Hopefully with a smaller class we'll get through more, and faster. Going slowly bothers me, because I know that I can learn a lot faster, but instead we have to wait for the slower people (i.e. the people who don't actually want to learn a language so they misbehave) to finish before we move on.
Old August 29, 2010, 03:15:19 PM

I've taken two semesters of Japanese at the local community college. It was something that peaked my interest, and I needed another class, and the only foreign language my school offers is Spanish, unless you dual enroll. I have to really pursue it on my own if I actually want to learn more. It's not fun trying to learn a language by yourself.
Old August 30, 2010, 07:36:28 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I am currently fluent in Arabic, which is my first language

I used to speak Urdu, although I wasn't literate. My dad taught it to me (he's Pakistani) but since I don't see him often and he speaks fluent English I have no use for the language, so I forgot how to speak it. I don't know if Urdu is a branch language of Arabic but it sounds very similar to me.
English is apparently my second or third language; according to my mother I spoke Spanish as a child, but I hardly remember any of it apart from what I learned last year in Spanish 1. I'm continuing classes this year.
Old August 31, 2010, 02:04:25 AM
Rayquaza

Urdu is like a combination of Arabic, Persian, English and French. They say it has some words of Indian, but I am not sure. The letters of both Urdu and Persian are nothing but the letters of Arabic. The letters of the old Turkish language were also Arabic letters, but they changed their letters to what look like English ones. Arabic is as old as Hebrew. They are cousins actually.

Last edited by Shadow; August 31, 2010 at 02:59:31 AM.
Old September 2, 2010, 06:03:12 PM
Regigigas

I'd love to learn Japanese for obvious reasons, but I don't foresee that happening in the near future. I think French would be an easy language to learn somehow, despite the fact I know learning any language is difficult.
Old September 3, 2010, 02:22:00 AM
Giratina

To be honest, I don't see the need for learning Japanese other than for Pokémon and the like. I mean, it's not as popular a foreign language as Spanish or French, for example.
Old September 3, 2010, 07:29:02 AM
Volcarona

I've learned some Japanese (thanks to My Japanese Coach). I used to be quite good at French but I've forgotten most of it. :/

Last edited by zsaberslash; September 3, 2010 at 07:30:16 AM. Reason: slight captalization error
Old September 3, 2010, 08:10:24 AM
Giratina

I think it's about time we made a list of users in Serious.

We should also make a small guideline of "serious" topics, or something similar.
Old September 3, 2010, 08:02:28 PM
Celebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
To be honest, I don't see the need for learning Japanese other than for Pokémon and the like. I mean, it's not as popular a foreign language as Spanish or French, for example.
True. However, I do believe people who learn it are either planning to visit Japan (like from a lifelong dream), like anime and is just interested in Japanese as a second language, or because it's one of those exotic/different languages. Of course, someone could learn it just to brag.
Old September 6, 2010, 09:33:14 AM
Giratina

What do you think is the best way to learn a language?

I think the best way is to go to a school to learn the basics, and enough to hold a conversation on most topics, followed by staying in a country that uses that language for a time. Most foreign language teachers at my school have done this.
Old September 6, 2010, 09:41:51 AM
Celebi

Quote:

I think the best way is to go to a school to learn the basics, and enough to hold a conversation on most topics, followed by staying in a country that uses that language for a time. Most foreign language teachers at my school have done this.
A program like Rosetta Stone.
Old September 6, 2010, 10:45:42 AM
Giratina

I was looking into that, but couldn't get one because of the price. Once I get a job I'll definitely try it, though.
Old September 14, 2010, 01:57:04 PM
Haxorus

I actually took Spanish I in 8th grade. Then when I moved to Georgia (from Las Vegas, NV), they didn't offer it in 9th grade, so I had to wait until 10th to take it. I had to start at Spanish I again. Now that I'm in 11th grade, I'm in Spanish II, finally.

If anyone is interested in learning a language, I definitely recommend Spanish.

Me gusto la Clase de Espańiol mucho.

Last edited by Yoshizard; September 14, 2010 at 01:57:37 PM.
Old September 15, 2010, 07:57:29 AM
Giratina

I've managed to catch very few words/sentences in Spanish, such as gracias, amigo and hasta luego, from random sources. I find Spanish interesting to learn, so I think I'll have to choose between it and French.
Old September 15, 2010, 02:29:30 PM
Kyurem

Quote:

The BEST way? Although quixotic, actually moving to a country and living there while learning the language is best, without a doubt. I picked up German in 3 years after living there for three years, and German is NOT an easy language. The sheer fact that you see it everywhere you go is exactly what bashes it into your head. This is why I don't see why anyone would take something like a high school course in Russian or something, since you are barely getting ANYthing out of the course. What good is learning a language if you can't apply it at all?
Old September 15, 2010, 07:33:07 PM
Celebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazamaster View Post
...and German is NOT an easy language.
German is effing HILARIOUS when spoken. One reason why I want to learn it. I demand to hear you say something German (Germen?).
Old September 16, 2010, 10:13:44 AM
Giratina

Kaz is right, German isn't easy. It's not THAT hard when you compare it to other languages (Like Tagalog), but it's not easy nonetheless.
In German today I picked up a few useful sayings: "Du bist verruckt!" (You are crazy!), "Du bist sehr doof" (You are very stupid), and "Du bist argerlich" (You are annoying). I'm pretty sure I'll be able to put those to good use with my brother. I'd like to go to Germany for a few weeks to help me learn, and my school occasionally does exchange trips and the like, so I might look into that.
Old September 16, 2010, 12:22:23 PM
Giratina

Pronouncing German and learning a few phrases hasn't been too bad for me because I'm part German/Austrian, so it's in my blood. I'm also very good at pronouncing other languages, probably because I'm very good at English and most of the languages I attempt to speak are similar.
Old September 29, 2010, 06:08:28 AM
Celebi

My Dad made me learn French because I was going to a language school. He thought you "must" know a language to join it. I'm not good at it, but i'm in the top language set.

Last edited by RotomGuy; September 29, 2010 at 06:09:07 AM.
Old October 28, 2010, 03:27:19 PM
Regigigas

I took Spanish for a semester last year, and I'm taking German next semester. My mom says Spanish is more important to learn than German, but I think I'm going to continue taking German because I like the language more (and all my friends are taking it). I also may want to learn Japanese.

I am really interested in "constructed languages," languages which were artificially made by a person or group. One is Ido, which combines six of the major western languages and has no grammatical or verb irregularities. I made several dozen flash cards for it, but I stopped trying to learn it about a year ago. I probably won't start again until I can get this book on the language.

Last edited by Leaftail; October 28, 2010 at 03:31:03 PM.
Old March 3, 2011, 05:32:31 PM
Keldeo

I'm thinking about taking about learning a new langauge, I just need the ability and the assets to help me.

Anyways, since I'm going to bump this let's start something fresh.

I've actually been thinking about what I'm going to try to be and all that, I'm thinking about going to college. What should I major in? I'm thinking about Computer Science, but is that a good choice for me?

Anyways is that a wise decision?
Old March 3, 2011, 05:43:12 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
I'm thinking about taking about learning a new langauge, I just need the ability and the assets to help me.

Anyways, since I'm going to bump this let's start something fresh.

I've actually been thinking about what I'm going to try to be and all that, I'm thinking about going to college. What should I major in? I'm thinking about Computer Science, but is that a good choice for me?

Anyways is that a wise decision?
If you like or are good in math, it wouldn't be the worst thing. General problem solving and logic are also must-haves for CS.
Old March 3, 2011, 05:46:08 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezeWarp View Post
If you like or are good in math, it wouldn't be the worst thing. General problem solving and logic are also must-haves for CS.
Hey, thanks, that's good to know. I'm good at math and I can solve a lot of problems, but I haven't done much math for almost two years...

I guess I should take a refresher and pretty much relearn just about everything I've forgotten.
Old March 4, 2011, 02:53:16 PM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
Hey, thanks, that's good to know. I'm good at math and I can solve a lot of problems, but I haven't done much math for almost two years...

I guess I should take a refresher and pretty much relearn just about everything I've forgotten.
That would be a good idea based on what I've read. Employers like to see college graduates with skills in math because it seems that so few people have those skills (maybe they just didn't give math a try). I do see promise in you, after all, math can lead to careers in engineering or business, but that depends on what your interests are.
Doesn't mean you'll need to major in math, just that taking math courses is a good investment.
Old March 7, 2011, 10:44:42 AM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Have you ever considered learning a foreign language? I'm learning Japanese, and I learned a little Spanish.
I actually took Japanese 101 when I was in college the first time. The speaking and romanji were super easy for me to catch onto. The hiragana...not so much. I had to drop the class on the last day to keep from failing because of it. :/
Old March 28, 2011, 06:56:30 PM
Servine

I've been learning German for 4 years now through my high school. Like learning anything else, it takes a ton of time and effort and patience. Japanese looks really hard to learn! It seems like it would take forever just to learn to write the symbols correctly. Japanese writing is really pretty though so I guess that's the payoff