Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > PokéNews

Notices

PokéNews Non-staff should post news on Pokémon General.

Search this Thread
Old August 4, 2010, 03:01:50 AM
Rayquaza

Default Black and White to feature only Gen V Pokémon pre-National Dex

Stated in the Director's Blog, written by Junichi Masuda, Pokémon Black and White will only contain monsters from the fifth generation up until enough completion to receive the National Pokédex. Junichi Masuda's reasoning was to allow players to start anew and get a fresh experience, regardless of whether they were new to the series or veteran trainers. Masuda wanted to try to revive the spark from the Red and Green days for all players.

In addition to this, the route numbers start over from 1, instead of continuing around 400. This emphasizes the isolation Isshu has from the rest of the regions. As Isshu appears to be based on Shanghai, China, while the rest of the world is based on parts of Japan, this is most likely the reason for the renumbering.

Sources: Bulbapedia, ゲームフリーク:増田部長のめざめるパワー » ・第170回・

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; August 4, 2010 at 01:31:34 PM. Reason: Don't just steal news from another site. ORIGINAL NEWS, please, not just copy-pasta.
Old August 4, 2010, 04:30:42 AM
Regigigas

Does that mean that there will be no new evolutions of Pokemon from previous generations?
Old August 4, 2010, 04:33:48 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues View Post
Does that mean that there will be no new evolutions of Pokemon from previous generations?
The information isn't clear enough. We might get new evolutions, but we would only get them after getting the National Dex.
Old August 4, 2010, 05:15:06 AM
Landorus

That makes sense, I guess. I hope there are more epic looking pokemon to counter the disgustingly cuteness.
Old August 4, 2010, 06:00:47 AM
Charizard

WHAT, no Pikachu in the regional Pokedex, no Geodude, no Zubat, no Abra, No Machop, those are all Pokemon that appear in EVERY regional Pokedex, without those in the game, we have no region, we have no Pokedex, we have no Box........

He's joking, right, RIGHT!?

Last edited by Masterge77; August 4, 2010 at 06:01:37 AM.
Old August 4, 2010, 09:11:27 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterge77 View Post
WHAT, no Pikachu in the regional Pokedex, no Geodude, no Zubat, no Abra, No Machop, those are all Pokemon that appear in EVERY regional Pokedex, without those in the game, we have no region, we have no Pokedex, we have no Box........

It is actually shocking not to have Pikachu and the other basic Pokémon, but if you look carefully at the Pokémon that have been revealed, some of them seem to be replacing the ones we know.
Old August 4, 2010, 09:19:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:

Your complaining about no Zubat and Geodude?
Old August 4, 2010, 09:23:30 AM
Landorus

Just because they're not in the Pokedex doesn't mean they won't appear. In FRLG you could get Espeon/Umbreon before the National Dex. As well as some others.
Old August 4, 2010, 09:31:48 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idno58 View Post
Just because they're not in the Pokedex doesn't mean they won't appear. In FRLG you could get Espeon/Umbreon before the National Dex. As well as some others.
They won't appear before the National Dex, but will appear after the National Dex.
Old August 4, 2010, 09:44:20 AM
Giratina

That's good news because now we will have a fresh beginning. Therefore, we won't feel as familiar with Pokémon B/W as with the previous games.
Old August 4, 2010, 09:47:13 AM
Zoroark

NO PIKACHU!!!!!!! I approve of this update =D
Old August 4, 2010, 09:48:52 AM
Regigigas

I dunno about this. There seem to be a lot of Gen V pokemon I want to use, but how many are they going to introduce? Will there be one of every type? Will there be enough to fill gyms and teams? And what about Luvdisc? How are the evolutions going to work without any previous pokemon available?
Old August 4, 2010, 10:01:19 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
That's good news because now we will have a fresh beginning. Therefore, we won't feel as familiar with Pokémon B/W as with the previous games.
That's what the director wants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sableyed View Post
I dunno about this. There seem to be a lot of Gen V pokemon I want to use, but how many are they going to introduce? Will there be one of every type? Will there be enough to fill gyms and teams? And what about Luvdisc? How are the evolutions going to work without any previous pokemon available?
I read before that there will be like 100 or more new Pokémon. They will be enough.
Old August 4, 2010, 10:23:34 AM
Haxorus

:l

This means, that this will be the first game in a while that has not featured my crew...

What will become of my Witches?

At least Desukan is still in... ~.~;

All of the other Gen V Pokémon are laaaaaaaaaaame though... Dx What am I gonna do?!
Old August 4, 2010, 10:28:53 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by .name//Technomancer View Post
:l

This means, that this will be the first game in a while that has not featured my crew...

What will become of my Witches?

At least Desukan is still in... ~.~;

All of the other Gen V Pokémon are laaaaaaaaaaame though... Dx What am I gonna do?!
Many more Pokémon are gong to be revealed. There is a chance you will like other ones.
Old August 4, 2010, 10:54:46 AM
Charizard

Seriously guys, a Pokemon game without Pikachu!? That's INSANE!!!!! It's like Mario without the mushrooms, or Zelda without the Triforce, or Megaman without the spikes, you take Pikachu out, you put an end to the franchise, without Pikachu, there is no Pokemon, there is no game, there is no anything, only nothingness. Have these people forgotten that it was Pikachu who MADE this franchise what it is today!? He's the bloody mascot, and you cant have Pokemon without Pikachu!!!!

And we can't have a Pokedex with less than 151 Pokemon, if there were only 100 new Pokemon introduced exactly, then there would be no game. I don't even LIKE most of the 5th gen Pokemon, the only one I even LIKE is Tsutaja. It is against my policy to use only Pokemon from the current gen, I have to use multi-gen Pokemon in my team in order to keep the balance of multiple generations, especially Raichu, as without Raichu, I cannot beat anyone, not even my rival! Most importantly, I learned that there is a list of rules for making a Pokemon game, including a fangame, and the regional Pokedex has to contain 150 or more Pokemon, as well as these specific Pokemon evolution lines:

Required Pokemon    
Pikachu
Abra
Machop
Geodude
Zubat
Goldeen
Magikarp

These Pokemon are REQUIRED to be in a regional dex as according to the universal rules of Pokemon (this is why these Pokemon are in the Pokedexes of each region), in other words, Game Freak is breaking their own rules. Well then, if this is a so called "Continuity Reboot", then why don't you just write Ash off the anime and change the mascot to Chirami or something. eh Game Freak!?
Old August 4, 2010, 11:02:57 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Seriously guys, a Pokemon game without Pikachu!? That's INSANE!!!!! It's like Mario without the mushrooms, or Zelda without the Triforce, or Megaman without the spikes, you take Pikachu out, you put an end to the franchise, without Pikachu, there is no Pokemon, there is no game, there is no anything, only nothingness. Have these people forgotten that it was Pikachu who MADE this franchise what it is today!? He's the bloody mascot, and you cant have Pokemon without Pikachu!!!!

And we can't have a Pokedex with less than 151 Pokemon, if there were only 100 new Pokemon introduced exactly, then there would be no game. I don't even LIKE most of the 5th gen Pokemon, the only one I even LIKE is Tsutaja. It is against my policy to use only Pokemon from the current gen, I have to use multi-gen Pokemon in my team in order to keep the balance of multiple generations, especially Raichu, as without Raichu, I cannot beat anyone, not even my rival! Most importantly, I learned that there is a list of rules for making a Pokemon game, including a fangame, and the regional Pokedex has to contain 150 or more Pokemon, as well as these specific Pokemon evolution lines:

Required Pokemon    
Pikachu
Abra
Machop
Geodude
Zubat
Goldeen
Magikarp

These Pokemon are REQUIRED to be in a regional dex as according to the universal rules of Pokemon (this is why these Pokemon are in the Pokedexes of each region), in other words, Game Freak is breaking their own rules. Well then, if this is a so called "Continuity Reboot", then why don't you just write Ash off the anime and change the mascot to Chirami or something. eh Game Freak!?
It is actually shocking not to have a Pikachu. I think it is going to be in. I think. Just for your knowledge, Game Freak doesn't care about what you will think. If it has already decided about these games, then nothing will change. The best thing you can do is not to buy these game. I advice you to start liking the Pokémon, as they are free to break their own rules after all.
Old August 4, 2010, 11:42:22 AM
Landorus

Quote:

Required Pokemon    
Pikachu
Abra
Machop
Geodude
Zubat
Goldeen
Magikarp

Dude Calm down It's not that bad.

Last edited by Idno58; August 4, 2010 at 11:42:36 AM.
Old August 4, 2010, 11:54:27 AM
Shaymin

So this means I can't trade over a Shinx until after I get the National Pokédex? Come 'ere Shimama, you'll be my bud for now.
Anyways, that sounds like a really cool idea!
Old August 4, 2010, 12:09:58 PM
Zoroark

Quote:

Required Pokemon    
Pikachu
Abra
Machop
Geodude
Zubat
Goldeen
Magikarp

U mad?

If you ask me, it's a good thing for the series. They're shaking things up a lot this gen, which I really like. A bit of something different is always good.
Old August 4, 2010, 12:36:12 PM
Kyurem

Mmm this is interesting news. I'm not too disappointed by it, since it will be kinda cool to play with only new Pokemon. Well I'm kinda lying by saying that, since I am still importing an Abra to my game to use .

Oh, and on the topic of evolutions, I think that it will work like in Diamond and Pearl. Pokemon like Tangrowth and Weavile were Sinnoh Pokemon, but were not included in the Regional Pokedex that ended at Manaphy (unlike the Platinum dex which included Pokemon like Tangrowth and Weavile.) As such, the Isshu Regional Pokedex may not include Pokemon such as the Luvdisc and fabled Chimecho evolution, but once the National Dex is added they may be available.
Old August 4, 2010, 01:32:16 PM
Administrator

Rewrote the entire article. Please don't just copy something from Bulbapedia and call it a day. Even if you cite your source, this is still plagiarism.
Old August 4, 2010, 01:37:36 PM
Rayquaza

Well I'm relieved to see no more overcommon Zubat, Tentcuel and Geodude in the wild.
Old August 4, 2010, 08:28:19 PM
Mudkip

I find this to be a really interesting gimmick...and I like it.
Like people have said before, no zubat, tentacool, or geodude, and the game will be limited to just new pokemon. It won't feel like "just another sequel" by seeing the same old pokemon along with a some newcomers. I think it'll feel like a really fresh experience, even if I don't like all the pokemon.
Old August 4, 2010, 09:05:10 PM
Haxorus

Unless there are a hundred and fifty or more new Pokémon, I'm going to rage.

That post is vague, too. Does that mean we can't import new Pokémon until we gain the National Dex, or that they simply won't appear in-game, in the wild?

Do want know. :l
Old August 5, 2010, 02:54:29 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazamaster View Post
Mmm this is interesting news. I'm not too disappointed by it, since it will be kinda cool to play with only new Pokemon. Well I'm kinda lying by saying that, since I am still importing an Abra to my game to use .
I don't believe you will be able to import anything. I think you can access to the PokéShifter after getting the National Dex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
Well I'm relieved to see no more overcommon Zubat, Tentcuel and Geodude in the wild.
I share the same happiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .name//Technomancer View Post

That post is vague, too. Does that mean we can't import new Pokémon until we gain the National Dex, or that they simply won't appear in-game, in the wild?

Do want know. :l
I think it will be clarified later on. It should be. It seems they want us to be anticipated with the vague information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Rewrote the entire article. Please don't just copy something from Bulbapedia and call it a day. Even if you cite your source, this is still plagiarism.
Sorry. I never knew that. I will make sure this will never happen again.
Old August 5, 2010, 09:41:44 AM
Keldeo

personally, I think it is a time to start all over in the games, while it is sad that i can't use any old Pokémon from times back, i can at least test run these new Pokémon it actually looks like a new game going back to its roots.
Old August 5, 2010, 02:20:55 PM
Shaymin

I'm guessing the way the evolutions of older pokemon will work is that you will have to transfer them first. I'm ok with this, as long as I can still trade the older generations into it,(which from what I saw you still can)
Old August 5, 2010, 02:26:06 PM
Giratina

I guess this is sort-of like Red/Blue until you get the national dex then. You only get that region's Pokemon, so it's completely new. This could either be great or awful. Let's hope it's the first one...
Old August 6, 2010, 12:22:43 PM
Volcarona

This is pretty interesting idea. It would feel like playing in the first generation again. If course you can't transfer older generations until after the elite four but you get use to the region pokemon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
You only get that region's Pokemon, so it's completely new. This could either be great or awful. Let's hope it's the first one...
Well we haven't know all the pokemon region yet so we wait and see.
Old August 6, 2010, 01:06:12 PM
Volcarona

I wouldn't expect it any other way.
I wonder, though, if non-generation V pokemon just start appearing once you've completed the criteria for the National Dex, or if there's going to be some sort of swarm doohickey like in HGSS. Personally, I'd rather just have them appear.
Based off of Shanghai, huh? That's closer to the region hoenn's based off of than hoenn is to the region Sinnoh is based off of. Far away in pokemon world =/= far away in real world.
Old August 6, 2010, 01:11:44 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by A'bom View Post
I wonder, though, if non-generation V pokemon just start appearing once you've completed the criteria for the National Dex, or if there's going to be some sort of swarm doohickey like in HGSS. Personally, I'd rather just have them appear.
That brings up a good point. When you do get the National Dex, WHERE will you find the rest of the Pokémon? Maybe there will be a new area with all the old Pokemon.
Old August 6, 2010, 01:42:18 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
That brings up a good point. When you do get the National Dex, WHERE will you find the rest of the Pokémon? Maybe there will be a new area with all the old Pokemon.
Maybe the old pokemon appears on new areas you couldn't went until beating the elite four and I pretty sure that some of the old pokemon will be appear in pokemon safari zone.
Old August 6, 2010, 03:06:27 PM
Kyurem

I'm not too worried on HOW to get old Pokemon. Gen. 4 used The Pokeradar, Swarms, Safari Zone, Dongle Method, and various other methods to get all of the non-legendaries in the National Dex, so I imagine Game Freak will re-use some of those ideas and add new ones.
Old August 6, 2010, 10:44:27 PM
Celebi

You could travel to the different regions like in HGSS.
But seeing as Isshu is in China, you will have to go very far.
Old August 7, 2010, 09:46:43 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotomGuy View Post
But seeing as Isshu is in China, you will have to go very far.
Actually, Isshu is said to be based on a part of the US.

I also agree with Kaz. We shouldn't worry on how to get old Pokémon. For a fact, we know one method, that is, PokéShifter. I am sure that we will get another methods of catching old Pokémon, and hopefully, the methods will be creative and nice.
Old August 13, 2010, 08:57:02 AM
Celebi

Aha! Aparently to get new old gen pokemon to appear, see them in the dream world! So now Luxray must get a Musharna to see her beloved shinx, MWAHAHAHA-HAha...ha.... I HAVE TO GET MUSHARNA TO SEE ROTOM! NOOOOOOOO!

Last edited by OMGITSJAD; August 13, 2010 at 09:32:04 AM. Reason: :|