Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire > Gen VI Competitive Battling

Notices

Search this Thread
Old December 18, 2013, 06:18:34 PM
Keldeo

Default Mega Kangaskhan banished from OU

So it would seem that a majority of the people on Smogon's public Facebook can't handle their decision to ban things maturely, regardless of which side they're on, and I was reminded of this yet again when they decided to ban Kangaskhan.

So that made me wonder, in terms of banning stuff in general, what's your stance on these things? If you even follow Smogon's tier lists at all, which I've noticed a few people don't?
Old December 18, 2013, 06:24:36 PM
Celebi

I'm very Very Glad this occurred cause look.
It K.O's Physical walls with EASE.
It's Scary ._.
Old December 18, 2013, 06:31:34 PM
Kyurem

Right now before Pokebank comes out, I dont really care what current bans are as im still going to use them till i actully battle someone that also follows there tiers. But for the random people i battle im using whatever. People on my friends list, i might actully play with the current tier list unless told otherwise.
Old December 18, 2013, 08:33:09 PM
Kyurem

I just pretend Smogon never existed when it comes to tiers. Doesn't exactly make me many battling partners.
Old December 18, 2013, 08:35:08 PM
Giratina

What's in a tier? I raise Pokémon based on what I like and what I'd like to try. The ban on Blaziken didn't stop me from hatching and training a perfect Mega Speedboostiken. And I've always wanted to try a Kanghaskan, maybe I'll do that in 2014.
Old December 18, 2013, 10:08:34 PM
Administrator

Yeah, that dang thing is evil. I tried using a freshly-caught one (not going for good IVs nor EV training) with its Mega Stone. It swept against in-game players.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; December 18, 2013 at 10:08:43 PM.
Old December 18, 2013, 11:31:30 PM
Kyurem

I dont like smogon banning things so early. Everytime im about to try a freshly breeded and evd mon, they go and ban the dang thing before i get to use it. Look at garchomp, i wanted to use it one time, and before i got the game he was ban. They ban things before people with the gamecards get to use them.
Old December 19, 2013, 12:15:38 AM
Kyurem

Good riddance. People were arguing that Kangaskhan deserved a bit more time before this ruling, but that extra time would only have proven how necessary this ban is. The fact that this thing could wreck just about every Pokemon was ridiculous, and its ludicrous to expect people to carry niche counters like Sableye just to ensure that they don't get obliterated by this thing.
Old December 19, 2013, 12:32:29 AM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazamaster View Post
niche counters like Sableye just to ensure that they don't get obliterated by this thing.
Yeah, when you have to carry specific counters in mind for one single Pokémon like Sableye or Rocky Helmet Skarmory, that's usually a sign that something's a little bit overpowered.
Old December 20, 2013, 03:14:30 PM
Regigigas

Glad for the ban. Un-tauntable Swords Dance (add that Sableye is the only thing reliable enough to cause a status on it), GREAT bulk (It's relatively hard to take down unless you have a Fighting type/move, and that's not even granted given Sucker Punch), Priority, and it's coverage. It can hit anything while boosting it's Attack and sweeping your team with Sucker Punch. It's happened to me until I started to carry at least 1 Ghost type or something with Will-o-Wisp and maybe a Fighting type. This seemed almost mandatory since everyone online seemed to be using this thing which disrupts the meta-game and that's a no no.

Everything was starting to revolve around countering M-Kang, and that's just one Pokemon from the opposing team. Say they've got Volcarona or Garchomp in there as well. -_-

Edit: If they would remove any boost from the second hit, I can see this thing in OU. But because of that second hit (aside from the boost), it's definitely Uber. Oh, and it's fast. Forgot to mention it's base speed.

Last edited by Sub-zero; December 20, 2013 at 03:20:39 PM.
Old December 21, 2013, 03:06:12 AM
Giratina

I know Mega Kangaskhan was a complete bulldozer, but.. To ban it to Ubers? Imo, Mega Kang was strong, but stoppable. So was Mega Gengar. I've never had much problem with either.. I've had a LOT more problems with the likes of Talonflame/Aegisash than Gengar/Kangaskhan.
Old December 21, 2013, 12:42:43 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOMxTRAINER View Post
I know Mega Kangaskhan was a complete bulldozer, but.. To ban it to Ubers? Imo, Mega Kang was strong, but stoppable. So was Mega Gengar. I've never had much problem with either.. I've had a LOT more problems with the likes of Talonflame/Aegisash than Gengar/Kangaskhan.
Sounds like you need Magnezone. I couldn't get one with HP Fire, so I stuck with Ground, which has helped me take out opposing Electrics and some Steels.

As for Talonflame... Well, x4 Rock weakness.

Edit: Also, if you're playing Doubles etc., Quick Guard is your best friend for both Talonflame and Meowstic. I have my Machoke with it because Hitmontop is too mainstream.

Last edited by Sub-zero; December 21, 2013 at 12:47:01 PM.
Old December 22, 2013, 12:48:50 PM
Kyurem

I beat a mega kang really easy lastnight, I battled a japan player and someone else that had one, and all i did was use will-o-wisp on it and it was no threat. To me Mega Kang is to easy to beat. As for mega gengar, only 1 person i seen use it was during a-our little tournament we had a month ago.
Old December 22, 2013, 01:00:37 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
I beat a mega kang really easy lastnight, I battled a japan player and someone else that had one, and all i did was use will-o-wisp on it and it was no threat. To me Mega Kang is to easy to beat. As for mega gengar, only 1 person i seen use it was during a-our little tournament we had a month ago.
Yeah, I can agree with that, but you can't always guarantee a burn. What if your WoW Pokemon faints earlier in battle? Who carries WoW on several Pokemon in a team? I don't have a big problem with M-Kang because I run Intimidate like crazy, but I can see this thing as a huge team sweeper. BUT, I will say that Kang and Mawile have gotten pretty darn predictable with Sucker Punch. Stalling to deplete it's PP is your best bet, but I'm pretty sure they'll figure out you're stalling after 2 turns. :/

Note: In doubles, this thing would most likely be protected by Safeguard. So status is out of the question. Now you're screwed. xD

Edit: As for M-Gengar, I honestly think this thing was banned just because of Shadow Tag. It is VERY frail, so priority moves coming from something like Scizor will easily get rid of it.

Last edited by Sub-zero; December 22, 2013 at 01:02:52 PM.
Old December 22, 2013, 01:18:50 PM
Celebi

Okay.
When you need Obscure counters or checks to base around one pokemon and not the others it means something is decently overpowered
Will-O-Wisp...okay that goes down.
Intimidate..that goes down as well.
The fact that it can break Physical walls in 2-3 Turns. Being bulky and add to the fact it has one weakness and is bulky enough to take a hit from one and retaliate
It deserved to be banned.
Old December 22, 2013, 01:50:18 PM
Kyurem

My bulky Gourgest was the one that used will-o-wisp (he used sucker punch) Then i pretty much used seed bomb till he died.
Old December 24, 2013, 12:03:05 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
My bulky Gourgest was the one that used will-o-wisp (he used sucker punch) Then i pretty much used seed bomb till he died.
Lol, I'd say you just got lucky it wasn't a variant that has Crunch on it's moveset.
Old December 24, 2013, 12:47:09 PM
Charizard

I've never been big on tiers. I usually just use whatever. I like to find the strong points in whatever pokemon I have. Tiers don't really matter to me. Now if it were a specific tier tournament, then I'd follow it. Otherwise, not really.