Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Information Kiosk > Victory Road Network Support

Notices

Victory Road Network Support Suggestions? Errors? Comments? Questions?

Search this Thread
Old January 28, 2011, 12:52:44 PM
Volcarona

Angry Half-working VRIM is better than half-broken VRC

I can hardly use VRC anymore. Every time I post, I get a mySQL error, or my login times out, or the chat freezes (literally, the program itself locks up), or I get a dead refresh. I can't post anything without having to log back in each time I post.

It's causing me a lot of frustration and I'm probably not going to use VRC anymore.

So I hear that VRIM is wonderful. Why can't we have that, even if it's in Alpha testing. At least, there's a better chance of that working. I can't count the number of times I've bashed my keyboard, screamed at the monitor, and trying to post my frustration, only to run into another flaming mySQL error.

I don't want to wait until February for VRIM. VRC is broken and I can't use it. I can't even log in anymore because of mySQL errors.

Does anyone else share my frustration?
Old January 28, 2011, 12:58:51 PM
Regigigas

Yeah, I've had all of those problems off late myself. While I have nothing to do with the actual Alpha Testing or actual coding/development of VRIM per say, I'm not quite sure it the Alpha would be released this early. Cat (to my knowledge, anyway) wants it to be released when it's as good as can be, and live up to all the expectations that have been built. If Alpha suddenly gets released, then all the momentum up to this point would be lost. I agree that VRC is a pain lately, but there are reasons not to let VRIM out early despite this. I'm relatively neutral to whether it is or not, but it's best to keep that in mind.

(I seriously do feel your pain, though. I've almost completely decided against using VRC lately due to the reasons you mentioned.)
Old January 28, 2011, 01:13:17 PM
Charizard

Try redownloading it, that's the only advice I can really give
Old January 28, 2011, 01:16:49 PM
Keldeo

I have to agree with Aura that Cat wants it to be realeased so that it doesn't have to many issues. The problems with realeasing it when it not fully functional is that there could be a lot of down time and if everyone moved over you could end up multiplying and issue leading to a mess for both Freeze and Cat to work out. I personally have to say that I don't want VRIM (VRC 10 as i usulaly call it) out untill the users can fully enjoy it and not have to worry about it diying every five minutes, cause I don't enjoy when that happens on VRC and VRIM would be just as irritating.
Old January 28, 2011, 01:28:13 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMan View Post
I have to agree with Aura that Cat wants it to be realeased so that it doesn't have to many issues. The problems with realeasing it when it not fully functional is that there could be a lot of down time and if everyone moved over you could end up multiplying and issue leading to a mess for both Freeze and Cat to work out. I personally have to say that I don't want VRIM (VRC 10 as i usulaly call it) out untill the users can fully enjoy it and not have to worry about it diying every five minutes, cause I don't enjoy when that happens on VRC and VRIM would be just as irritating.
I understand that VRIM isn't ready yet. I'm just really frustrated with VRC. I don't want to rush anything if it really needs time, but at the very least, I want someplace to chat with people.

Is there a VR IRC chat that people can use in the meantime. A lot of major Pokemon forums have it. Why not use that?

By the way, VRC dies in less then five minutes when I log on. Like one or two.

Last edited by Armed Floatzel; January 28, 2011 at 01:29:02 PM.
Old January 28, 2011, 01:29:36 PM
Kyurem

Well, for what its worth I'm not against its public (beta/alpha) release. Cat, however, has blocked me repeatedly, so go complain to him

Last edited by FreezeWarp; January 28, 2011 at 01:29:50 PM.
Old January 28, 2011, 01:29:37 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed Floatzel View Post
I can hardly use VRC anymore. Every time I post, I get a mySQL error, or my login times out, or the chat freezes (literally, the program itself locks up), or I get a dead refresh. I can't post anything without having to log back in each time I post.

It's causing me a lot of frustration and I'm probably not going to use VRC anymore.

So I hear that VRIM is wonderful. Why can't we have that, even if it's in Alpha testing. At least, there's a better chance of that working. I can't count the number of times I've bashed my keyboard, screamed at the monitor, and trying to post my frustration, only to run into another flaming mySQL error.

I don't want to wait until February for VRIM. VRC is broken and I can't use it. I can't even log in anymore because of mySQL errors.

Does anyone else share my frustration?
Raegquit much? If it's THAT big of a deal you can just use the main chatbox. Just because the alpha/beta testers say that VRIM is great doesn't mean that it's not just as buggy or crash-happy as VRC is. Be patient and wait for the full release. Hell, I mean, I am.
Old January 28, 2011, 01:31:51 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post
Raegquit much? If it's THAT big of a deal you can just use the main chatbox. Just because the alpha/beta testers say that VRIM is great doesn't mean that it's not just as buggy or crash-happy as VRC is. Be patient and wait for the full release. Hell, I mean, I am.
Actually, it never dead refreshes. Jus' saying.
Old January 28, 2011, 01:33:05 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post
If you're talking about the actual program, then main is exactly where I have the most problems. If everyone could visit every room in VRC and chat, then I wouldn't have to worry about dead refreshes.

There is no VR chatbox anymore. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't be complaining right now.
Old January 28, 2011, 01:40:33 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed Floatzel View Post
If you're talking about the actual program, then main is exactly where I have the most problems. If everyone could visit every room in VRC and chat, then I wouldn't have to worry about dead refreshes.

There is no VR chatbox anymore. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't be complaining right now.
*Cough*
But I do see where you're coming from. VRC used to be fine, with the very occasional dead refresh or error. But lately it's been appalling, so I'm never on it anymore. I'd like to see VRIM come sooner, but if Cat doesn't want to release it yet then Cat doesn't want to release it yet.
Old January 28, 2011, 01:44:26 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
*Cough*
But I do see where you're coming from. VRC used to be fine, with the very occasional dead refresh or error. But lately it's been appalling, so I'm never on it anymore. I'd like to see VRIM come sooner, but if Cat doesn't want to release it yet then Cat doesn't want to release it yet.

Why didn't I see that?

Thanks for the link, Nin.

I just hope this doesn't start crashing too. :l I do think that VR should have an IRC chat as a sort of backup if something goes horribly wrong with VRC (including the link you just posted).

Last edited by Armed Floatzel; January 28, 2011 at 01:45:39 PM.
Old January 28, 2011, 01:51:13 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
*Cough*
I would just like to point out (to Armed and whoever hasn't seen it) that this link has existed for a while. Click the ChatBox Full link at the top of the page.
Old January 28, 2011, 02:03:13 PM
Administrator

I can't let VRIM be released before I've helped Freeze iron out the security issues of the features being added. The program also needs to have minimal annoyance from error messages that don't affect its usage and retry posting on underlying connection errors without killing the message. I seriously don't want to let it out until it's running the best we can get it, and I still hold the projected release date at late February.

As for VRC having so many troubles lately, I will need to talk with KingOfKYA. I have seen the MySQL errors plenty of times, and those have only happened ever since MySQL was moved to the root server. It has gotten faster, but it has also lost connections every now and then, as you may see from the error messages.

I cannot guarantee VRIM's stability once a large number of users are on it, but I can say that I was able to keep 28 active connections in all the rooms on it at the same time with minimal slowdown. VRIM is on a different virtual machine than victory road, so, unless the whole server goes down, the forum will not have much of an effect on the chat and vice versa, even if one of the virtual machines locks up.

IRC? Sorry, but that's just a no. I have my reasons, but it would really take too long to explain, and I've done that too many times before.
Old January 29, 2011, 12:21:00 PM
Volcarona

One of the biggest problems about VRC is that on slow connections it is very painfully to use. Because it refreshes the html page 2 times a second. Cat didn't know how to handle the small data chunks at the time. So every time it retrieves chat updates it all of the last 20 messages. rather than what changed. Which is fine for a connection like mine 20mbs + but looking at your connection at less than 1mbs its going to error more. I could rant about how i added programing variables so later when cat learned how to do it propperly ( he has now) that he just had to turn it on. However he and free decided to start over. That is why it is takeing so long, they scraped the old app completely.

In addition the mysql issues I haven't been made aware of. When i get back from my class today i will go see whats going on. Because i have not seen the same behavior on victoryroad or freezwarps stuff.
Old January 29, 2011, 06:38:56 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfKYA View Post
That is why it is takeing so long, they scraped the old app completely.
So this will be completely new, or is it based off of VRC? And will the old versions still be usuable- not that a lot of users would want to, but just a curious question. I can also verify the HTML refresh is heavy on low connections- based on downoad speed (and wireless speed) my connection peaks at 150 kb/s. Basically, one step above dial-up. It's fine, as long as you're not relying on a wireless connection with poor signal strength, and wired ethernet instead, there should be no problem refreshing the rooms.

Last edited by DashArmy; January 29, 2011 at 06:39:37 PM. Reason: these quotes always mess up, screw IE9 beta
Old January 29, 2011, 07:29:14 PM
Keldeo

Its a completely new system and had to be redone from the ground up pretty much the reason, as KYA said, that this is taking so long and personally I would like to see it working when it is out.
Old January 30, 2011, 10:11:35 AM
Kyurem

Plus, we're using this time to add a bunch of features that frankly border on crazy