Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat > Blogs

Notices

Search this Thread
Old October 30, 2012, 07:35:56 PM
Haxorus

Default JJ Joins the Blogosphere

Well, I decided to join the trend and start a blog. It seems interesting, and it could be fun. Hopefully I'll be able to keep it up. Hopefully. We'll see. I suppose no one knows much about me, so I figure I should get a few things out that I may talk about in my blog.

Facts About Me
1. I play horn in our school band, various ensembles and a youth orchestra. This may come up frequently. I kiiiinda have a lot of stuff going on related to that.
2. I speak French. Woot! I really love French and have been in French immersion since grade two. Unfortunately, in order to take advanced classes (IB courses, for anyone who knows what that is) I had to drop French. I still have a French class, but none of the rest of my classes are in French. I'm so scared I'm going to lose a bit of it, I am rather proficient at grammar, but without practice it kinda fades away... This leads me to my next point:
3. I am an IB student, as previously mentioned. The next two years are going to be a lot of work and stress, but will hopefully result in some good things.
4. What makes #3 worse is that I'm an extremely anxious person. I worry all the time. This is worsened even more by the fact that I am both a perfectionist and a procrastinator. However, unlike one of my friends (who is similar to me in this way) I don't hand things in late. This causes crazy stress for me. Ugh.
5. On a happier note, I love to read! This may come up from time to time as well. My favourite genre is fantasy.

Welp, long intro-ish thing. Now for the real stuff. Let's try this then, I suppose.

Tomorrow night, I'm going trick-or-treating with Lux. She's dressing up as Link, and I'm going to be Zelda. Sure, it may seem like we're too old to go out, but that's the fun of having younger siblings. Really, I should be set for the next 10 years or so. Or until my brothers want to stop going out. The party-poopers. I'll probably always dress up for Halloween though. I love doing that, and there are just too many costumes I want to wear for me to stop next year. I'll probably end up being some old granny still dressing up and handing out toothbrushes or something. "You kids be good now, and don't eatchyer toothbrushes!" ... Maybe not.

I'm going to be so tired though, because last night I had a big concert. Every other year, my school division gathers up players from various schools, gives them "hard" music (hard music for everyone else but the horns, I guess. I dunno.), causes them to miss half a week of school over the course of one week then sticks them in with some members of a professional orchestra at a large venue with a new conductor and they make music. Don't get me wrong, it was fun and a great experience. There are some drawbacks though. When you're not used to the conductor's style, it's hard enough. When you only get a dress rehearsal to get used to it, it's very tough. Top that with sounding different in a different locale, having different seating arrangements and the professional player having the actual score and you the simplified one (thus playing completely different things at the same time even though you're both second horns) plus a million other things, you don't get as high a quality performance as expected. It was a bit of letdown, but like I said, still a great time, great experience and a great performance.

Well, time to stop blabbering about music. Don't want to bore you to death with my tiny nuances.

Here's how today panned out:
In Chemistry, we were supposed to hand in a lab (ugh, hate labs) but I realized I didn't make any graphs for a lab that was to be marked on data processing so I had to do those at lunch. I don't think I did it right either, but whatever. It's too late now (or at least that's what I keep telling myself).

I then had Biology, which is painfully easy and crawling along at a painful pace. People take five minutes to copy down what took me two, and so I just sit there. The teacher's really nice and not very strict though.

In English, I had the most pleasant surprise. I was supposed to do a group presentation that I wasn't really ready for today, but it got pushed to Thursday because my teacher couldn't book the lab for any other time for another project we're working on.

The rest of my day was rather boring. Band was a letdown because our band sounds awful in comparison to all the other groups I'm playing in, and this is the one I spend the most time in. :/

After school, Lux was coming home on the bus with me so we could work on my costume for tomorrow and there were a bunch of people all crowded around a bench at the bus stop. There was a firetruck there and they were putting a neck brace on this girl. We walked to another bus stop and saw an ambulance pass by. Someone said they heard she was hit by a car, which seems likely, but I don't know for sure. Weird stuff.

Anyways, this has gone on far longer than I thought it would, so I'm going to stop now.

Au revoir!

(For some reason my blinking cursor has disappeared. :O)
(It's back now. Don't know where it went before I clicked "preview post". ... It's a ghost! D: )

Last edited by Gamernamerjj; November 5, 2012 at 06:38:48 PM.
Old November 4, 2012, 08:25:46 PM
Haxorus

*Sneaks in* Nope, I totally didn't miss a few days after saying this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamernamerjj View Post
Hopefully I'll be able to keep it up. Hopefully. We'll see.
Hopefully indeed.

Well, it's been so long I don't really feel like summing it all up. Halloween was lots of fun with Lux, we got a considerable amount of candy, yay! We lost the headpiece of my costume though. :< Even though my arms were bare near the elbow, my hands (which were in gloves, though not necessarily warm ones) were the cold part of me. Shame the weather never wants to be that nice for Halloween. It wasn't really that cold, it was just very windy.

Today, Lux and I (and two of our friends) went to Comic Con! It was loads of fun. My first con too. I saw soooo many things I wanted, but I had to restrain myself. I still ended up spending around $100 (including about $30 for food and my ticket).

Some cool things I got:

Skin for DSi (that I don't have) of Eeveelutions
Commission of Luxray and Gulpin
Nyan Cat hat
Star Wars necklace
Golden Snitch necklace
Pokémon figurines (Cloyster, Swinub and Diglett)

Well, off to study quickly before bed. I will not likely get a chance to post anything here tomorrow, so perhaps look for something Tuesday~!

Last edited by Gamernamerjj; November 4, 2012 at 08:25:59 PM.
Old November 5, 2012, 06:15:09 PM
Haxorus

Yay, I finally post two days in a row! I decided to post some pictures of the stuff I got yesterday.

Con Stuff!    

Click image for larger version

Name:	Comic Con 004.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	4078
Swinub, Cloyster and Diglett... This sounds like the start of a joke. As you can tell, Cloyster can't stand up by himself. ($6)

Name:	Comic Con 003.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	4079
Starters! ($5)

Name:	Comic Con 006.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	4080
The commission! It's wonderful. :3 ($12)

Name:	Comic Con 008.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	4081
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is hilarious. ($3)

Name:	Comic Con 007.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	4082
The skin for the DSi I don't own. ($5)

Name:	Comic Con 012.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	4083
I caught the Golden Snitch! ($10)

Name:	Comic Con 013.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	4084
I <3 Star Wars. ($10)

Name:	Comic Con 014.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	4085
And most importantly, my balloon flower. ($2)

The lady who did my commission forgot who Gulpin is. She's from Pixelated Toaster.

Today was pretty boring in terms of retelling what I did. I stayed home from school today, though I wasn't very sick, did homework and pigged out on junk food. Wheee~! Now I have to go watch Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe for an English presentation on archetypes and do math homework. Woot!

EDIT: How could I forget Nyan Cat hat?! I guess I'll post it tomorrow after obtaining a picture from Lux.
EDIT II: Pictures obtained! Lux insisted I also add a picture of Pedobear stroking her. Lulz.

Name:	Comic Con 015.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	354.2 KB
ID:	4086 Click image for larger version

Name:	Comic Con 016.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	324.6 KB
ID:	4087

Last edited by Gamernamerjj; November 5, 2012 at 06:55:23 PM.
Old November 11, 2012, 07:44:58 PM
Haxorus

So, uh, I'm back! Anybody miss me? I honestly have no justification for why I disappeared from here for a few days. I was a little busy, but not much more than usual. Strange.

Anyways, I'm back now and I have lots to talk about! So much so that I think I'll have to divide my topics in two, and write the other half tomorrow.

Therefore, today's topics are Remembrance day and snow, tomorrow's shall be my new iPhone and seeing Wreck-It-Ralph (barring anything more interesting that comes up). With that settled, let us begin!

Today is Remembrance day (which I've spelled wrong every time so far) in Canada, but unfortunately I haven't done much for today. Usually we watch the national service on TV, but we were busy this morning. Still, we had our typical school service on Friday (my history did a great job of MCing, it seemed so legitimate since he obviously knows what he's talking about) which was pretty typical of my school and for the most part wasn't very profound or thought-provoking in my opinion. It actually was two of my teachers who provided that. Before the service, my Biology teacher showed us a YouTube video that played the song "Highway of Heroes" with a picture tribute. For those of you who don't know, the Highway of Heroes is a highway in Ontario (I think) where soldiers killed in combat are driven when coming home. Anyway, the accompanying images and text were very touching and well done, apart from a few typos.

The other teacher that helped me observe Remembrance day unintentionally was my French teacher. My French teacher likes to choose a theme for the year. Last year's was travel, this year's is war. Early this past week we started to watch a movie called "Le rafle" or "The Round-up". It's a pretty recent movie, from 2009, which was incredibly well done. This has to be one of my favourite movies ever. I think every single person in my ~20 student class was touched, even the tough guys and the jokers and most had wet eyes. It was such an emotionally moving movie, I can't even explain it. If I hadn't have been in class, I would have cried more frequently than the one time I did at the end (which was actually not for the same reason as all the other times). The film is about France during World War II, when they collaborated with Nazi Germany. There was a round-up of many of France's Jews, many of whom had thought they were safe in France and had escaped from elsewhere. The story follows a Jewish family and the mainly the children of another and a French nurse who comes to provide medical care after the round-up. I'm doing a horrible job of explaining, and anything I say will not do it justice. Just watch the movie. It's incredible (though I have no idea how the English version is, I'm guessing it's subtitles but I'm not sure). I really appreciate my French teacher showing this to us, it was basically how I observed my Remembrance day.

Now, on to a less depressing topic: snow! Yesterday we had our first big snowfall of the season, and it's sticking. Yay! I love snow, it's fun to play with and when Christmas rolls around, it really feels like Christmas. Last year, we barely got any snow, which is freakish. We probably have more snow now than we did all last year! (I wish I could say I'm exaggerating, but I hardly am. Last year was very out of the ordinary.) As I was sledding with my brothers down the mound of snow in the middle of the street (we live on a cul-de-sac type thing), I kind of got thinking. I wondered what it would be like to be someone who had never experienced snow before. What would it be like the first time you saw it? The first time you experienced a Canadian winter? I always wonder things like this, wondering what exchange students at our school and immigrants from far away think of our society, of our culture, of our climate, etc. It's really something that fascinates me. Going back to snow, I find it hard to imagine not having snow. At all. It's a strange concept. Christmas would never feel right to me without snow. Obviously, I'm never going to live somewhere where it never snows. This makes mew think of something else: I like having a good balance of seasons. Sure, our fall only lasts a month and a bit before it's essentially winter, but I like having every season. Each one has its own perks (fall has leaves, winter has snow, spring is like a breath of fresh air and summer is fun for outside activities) and its problems (spring is flooding season here, not that it ever directly affects me; summer has mosquitoes and canker worms; fall is when school starts and winter is cold) so it all balances out.

Those are my two cents for today. Tune-in tomorrow when I (hopefully) write about my new iPhone and Wreck-It-Ralph. Maybe if you're lucky, I'll throw in the bonus story of the creature in my Biology class. See you soon! (Not really, that's a lie. I never see any of you. 'Cept Lux. Luuuuuuuux.)

Woah, wall of text much?

Last edited by Gamernamerjj; November 11, 2012 at 07:45:51 PM.
Old November 18, 2012, 03:18:12 PM
Haxorus

I am such a liar. >.< I'll try not to make anymore promises, because obviously I can't keep them. Anyway, on to the topics I had previously set out, not my boring complaining about myself.

Soooo, I got a new iPhone as of last Wednesday. It's pretty nice. The battery life seems to be worse than on my old phone, but I'm pretty sure that can actually be attributed to the fact I use this phone for more than just texting and calling, resulting in more usage, causing the battery to die sooner.

I'm no stranger to Apple products, but I have an iPad, so it's taking a little getting used to the smaller screen and therefore smaller keyboard. I'm sorely missing a physical keyboard since it's winter (okay, technically it's not winter but in every other sense it is). At least before I could sort of type something out with mitts on (though it was waaaaaaaaaaay slower and painstaking). I thought I'd have a lot to say on this topic, but apparently not.

Moving along then, I saw Wreck-It-Ralph last Friday, which I thought was a pretty good movie. The twist was really cool and totally took me by surprise. Another success by Disney, and another thing I don't have as much to say about since it's almost a week after I wanted to discuss it.

On to some recent news then! On Friday, I passed my road test! I was very nervous for it, but it turned out to be a lot less difficult than I thought. I still managed to get 30 deductions (if you get 50 you fail) but I didn't fail, so I won't worry about that anymore (at least, that's what I keep telling myself). I can now drive all alone, though I haven't had the opportunity yet. My parents will probably be too nervous. I think I'll be fine (as long as it's not driving downtown, that's scary even with my mom). I don't have my own car, nor do I think I'll be getting one anytime in the near future, so I'm stuck borrowing our van, I suppose. We have a car too, but it has a manual transmission, something I have yet to learn how to drive. Maybe once I do learn my parents will let me take the car to school, saving me a bucket-full of time (How much time would that be anyways?). I don't know if they'd go for that or not. We'll see, I guess.

Well, I suppose that's it for now. I think I'll sign off for tonight. Good evening, everyone!

Last edited by Gamernamerjj; November 18, 2012 at 03:20:01 PM.