Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you think of achievements/trophies?
I enjoy them and compete with my friends over them. 3 17.65%
I see them as a good way to keep track of my game completion and history. 6 35.29%
I use them to see what challenges to try next. 3 17.65%
I don't really care about them. 5 29.41%
I hate them such that I'd prefer games not include them. 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old March 7, 2014, 01:20:29 AM
Administrator

Default Your opinions on achievements and trophies

For those who have played games on a variety of consoles lately, you may have noticed little pop-ups stating that you have received an achievement, trophy, stamp, or whatever other name the system gives them. My question, though, is what do you folks think of them?
Old March 7, 2014, 01:35:10 AM
Keldeo

Depending on what type of thing they are I like them, they give me a goal to go after, in the case of U-play they are converted over to being able to get more content. Which feels rewarding. I'm not a huge fan of the one's that require you have gold or whatever multiplayer platform it uses, usually that costs money. Xbox live, soon PlayStation, being the worst culprit. In some ways they help you figure if your doing things right or how much of the story that you've completed. One that are references are my favorites. Such as the double rainbow in Borderlands 2.
Old March 7, 2014, 03:54:24 AM
Regigigas

Trophies and achievements are a good way to show game progress and to add challenges to help extend the life of a game. There's always that one achievement/trophy in each game that's very difficult or time consuming to unlock, and finally getting it gives a sense of pride and achievement [at least for some].
Old March 7, 2014, 03:00:22 PM
Giratina

I love them a lot, I'm somewhat of an achievement hunter. However, if it's a story game I'll focus on that first and the achievements somewhat flow in afterward. It also helps if the achievement titles are references. Two of the most annoying achievements in Sonic Unleashed were labeled with "Day Tripper" and "Hard Day's Night" so I couldn't care less how impossible it was. Plus, there was a "That tornado's carrying a car!" achievement in Sonic Generations.
Old March 7, 2014, 04:14:21 PM
Keldeo

Haven't played a console game in . . . how long, now?

I feel like a lot of them are pointless, though. I only really know Minecraft's achievement system so I'll talk about those. While "The Lie" and "Cow Tipper" and "When Pigs Fly" are humorous enough, they feel kind of pointless. I made a cake. So what? I made an axe? So what? I rode a pig off a cliff. So what? If I play for more than about ten minutes these are all things I'll probably do eventually anyway - even the last one - so why do I have to be informed when I do?
Old March 7, 2014, 04:45:38 PM
Zoroark

I personally dont care for getting all achivements, but I do however believe they add replayability to the game
Old March 7, 2014, 06:28:38 PM
Rayquaza

I don't care for them at all, especially since since of them are just there for a cheap joke.
Old March 7, 2014, 08:22:25 PM
Kyurem

The time i actully tryed to get these things are on Left 4 Dead. Cause i like replaying this game (when i get the chance) to see if i can get the hard stuff unlocked/Done.
Old March 8, 2014, 03:22:51 PM
Volcarona

They're a way of rewarding people and congratulating their progress. I honestly would love if Nintendo did it with adding some sort of achievement/trophies to their games as well such as beating a boss in Mario or Zelda. They are also proof that you did something in the game that friends didn't believe you could.
Old March 9, 2014, 10:31:22 AM

I never really cared about them. I find half of them to be silly rather than rewarding.
Old March 17, 2014, 07:47:46 PM
Regigigas

I like them. It's a good system to extend replay value and a good way to show proof that you have completed a game to it's fullest (according the trophies.)
Old March 18, 2014, 06:23:25 AM
Kyurem

I'm impartial to them most of the time, but I do like it when they either have clever names or show up for unexpected things (like finding the secret flip-the-bird move in Mirror's Edge). The only problem I have with achievements is with people who seem to devote all their time and effort into collecting them.