Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games

Notices

Search this Thread
Old April 4, 2014, 08:14:21 PM
Administrator

Default When is previewing a game spoiling too much?

It's time for another episode of "Yoshi revives an old discussion because of reasons"

This time we are going 3.5 years ago to before Pokémon Black and White were released. The internet was a buzz with information and any minor tidbit that could be discovered was quickly known by all. I wrote up this post asking others about their opinions on the matter. With the massive Mario Kart 8 info dump yesterday, it got me thinking about this topic again.

With all the media we have nowadays, it's easy to find out information the minute its discovered. Game developers run blogs where they constantly show off information about new gameplay mechanics, new characters, bits of the story, etc. Before even picking up the controller to start the game, you already have a good idea on what most of the game will be like.

Take for example Super Smash Brothers. Every few days lead developer Sakurai posts a new snapshot from the upcoming games. Each day, a new picture, another thing about the game you know before you even play it. Just glancing over the first few pictures I know a new assist character with their ability, updated move for a character, a new item, and two new stages. How does knowing these now affect how you will go into the game? It's one thing to see a new assist character right there on the page, but its an entirely different feeling discovering it on your own for the first time while actually playing the game.

This leads to the main topic of this discussion:

At what point are previews spoiling the game too much? Is it good to know more about a game so you know if it will be worth your money/time, or is it better to discover stuff on your own?
Old April 4, 2014, 08:27:06 PM
Volcarona

Well, it depends, honestly previews are alright for me. As long as they don't spoil the main core of the game. (the parts of games I'm usually engaged with) Gameplay trailers are just fine as long as they don't spoil the story/character's origins too much/how to nessecarily kill off a boss if it's a game with unique stradegy skills involved. In this case, spoiling a roster and maps of a game isn't a bad thing. If anything, that's a good way of getting you hyped up for when you actually get to play as a certain character. (i.e Mario Kart, Smash Bros) Much like a movie trailer, as long as you're not showing the core meat of the game within the trailer, it shouldn't ruin the surprise/fun of it.

Previews are just a way of showing what the game is going to be like, more reason to help justify a purchase, and if anything, cause them to run low stock due to solid sales at places like Gamestop. (if you guys remember the whole Fire Emblem Awakening pre order nonsense that happened, since they were off the roof) Most good previews of good games (in a way) end up showing all the small stuff to get you hyped for when you're actually going to be seeing the grand, enjoyable parts of the game for yourself.

Last edited by Charizard98; April 4, 2014 at 08:30:50 PM. Reason: P.S I hope I wasn't overproving my point too much on what I believed, just thought I'd make things clear for others to know.
Old April 4, 2014, 08:36:13 PM
Administrator

I think previews are alright as long as I don't preview too much of the game. I love the element of surprise, and I love being able to immerse myself in the game enough that I have no clue what's coming next.
Old April 4, 2014, 08:58:38 PM
Keldeo

I'll use X and Y as my main example because that's the only game I followed incessantly pre-release (up to a point) . . . I found myself trying harder and harder to avoid what seemed like heavily spoiler as time went on, and I do think they put too much out there. It sent something like this.

- New game? Okay.
- New Eevee and Megas. Okay.
- Like fifty of the Kalos native Pokémon. Erh, whatever.
- Like half of the important characters in the game. Er, whatever.
- This is Team Flare and this is what they do. Thanks, now they'll feel even more generic than they already would have.
- Like 80% of the named NPCs? Get out.
Old April 4, 2014, 09:28:09 PM
Giratina

You know, I used to believe that the more a surprise the game was, the more I'd enjoy it.

I think the best example, though heavily opinionated of course, is X and Y. Sure, they were good games and everything and I enjoy the battling mechanics and the enhanced breeding that allows someone like me to stand a chance against tournament veterans. One thing I especially wanted was to keep myself spoiler free the whole time from January to October. The first trailer is there to instill excitement and to get you hyped for what's in store. New features, beautiful landscapes, a taste of story but not a spoonful. The Pokémon Direct in January did that perfectly and I was so excited for it that I built up funds to buy both versions. I did my best and I avoided 98% of all spoilers and went and bought the games first day. It was fun initially, but as time went on I saw how bland and unappealing the game's story was in comparison to the previous generation. I felt so disappointed that I couldn't even trust Game Freak for their outstanding quality. From there I decided I wouldn't buy another game without having a large pot of info, and probably not at full price. X and Y are the reason I currently cannot afford to buy Super Mario 3D World, so it makes me extra frustrated.

With games like Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 8 there is no story, just oodles of content. Well, not so much with MK8, we already know there's gonna be 32 tracks and an assortment of vehicles and racers. A trailer should just show glimpses of action and whatnot, using starting characters and like nothing past Flower Cup. Showing off the (UNNECESSARILY BEAUTIFUL) N64 Rainbow Road in the trailer was going quite far (though it was kind of obvious) and is a pretty big spoiler. Of course, it's also another ploy for hype. If that's the retro track, imagine the brand new Rainbow Road.

The Smash Bros. Dojo is an example of taking it too far. It's building excitement and all, but also bit by bit of every detail. It's certainly not taking it as far as the previous Dojo, but we've probably already got half the cast and a pretty solid confirmation on their moves and plenty items. Since the site is updated every business day we'll probably have so much more by the time the game actually releases. I have no problem with it aside from the fact that they're not releasing any music for me to sample :I but I do know a few people who hate the fact that every little detail is being revealed through these pictures.

A certain amount of trust is needed to enjoy a surprise. That's something I lack.