Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games

Notices

Search this Thread
Old August 19, 2014, 07:50:23 AM
Volcarona

Default Project Unlimited

Hello, VR... I have returned from the dead, and became unlimited... and today, I am conducting an experiment that only VR members would be defiant enough to take the challenge. I call this: Project Unlimited. It is the new version of Team Lunacy, but in an experimental process. Here's how it works: Like TL, there will be two teams competing against each other... but the object this time is to "break a person's limit". Now you may be asking yourself, what the heck is this "Lunatic" talking about? Well, Here's the method of how we will achieve this goal:

-1 Playing Pokemon X/Y and the next gens to come.
-2 Adaptation
-3 Creativity
-4 Relevance

These are the variables I will test during this experiment.
Now for the interesting part.

You VR members whom are cordially invited to be Gunea Pig-- Er, I mean, members of this cause will be playing Pokemon like you know how... well, sorta.

But here are the rules:

....... THERE ARE NONE!

The only rules are set to test creativity: No double items, No duplicate pokemon, and No hacked pokemon.

But any and everything else is at your disposal!!!

That Means:

-Legendaries no matter what type are allowed
-Any and every move is yours to command
-All the items, including hax items are at your disposal

Again. Why am I testing this?

-I want to first of all, see at this time and age the true relevance of Smogon's foolish laws that people abide by like a cult.

-I want to test a therory, and that is, that we as trainers can conquer any situation, even if we have to change our method of how we combat it. So One hit KO moves can still be twarted, as can evasive boosts can be countered by moves that always hit, or even accuracy boost moves (Even moves that boost more than one stat, or decrease more than one stat.)

-To see if there is such a thing as a perfect team, or a perfect pokemon or moveset.

-finally, and ultimately, to enjoy the game the way I believe the original maker of Pokemon intenteded it to be enjoyed, and to see if it is possible at this time and age.

This is my endeavor for this project.

So far, the team names are:

Defiance- Through defiance, we will break the laws of restriction.
Freedom- Those who break the limits of impossible, are truly free.

Note: there is a good chance this may not work. But I won't give up until I truly believe there is no way for this to work. till then, I hope you guys are bold enough to take this challenge.

Coming soon.
Like this post if you are willing to take the challenge.

Comments are open.
Old August 19, 2014, 09:59:37 AM
Kyurem

Nytz i like the way u think. Hehe....MattyBrollic i declare that ur bounty will follow these rules, cause well your on the bounty list and this is perfect to see how creative u can be.
Old August 19, 2014, 10:27:00 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
Nytz i like the way u think. Hehe....MattyBrollic i declare that ur bounty will follow these rules, cause well your on the bounty list and this is perfect to see how creative u can be.
Sounds good! Im not losing to you again!
Old August 19, 2014, 10:30:35 AM
Volcarona

There is a good chance that all of you will use the most powerful pokemon you can think of, as well as the most effective movesets... but if my hypothesis supports this project's results, I surmise that you may start off with the most powerful pokemon that you can think of at first, but since no two minds think alike, that will change. It wouldn't suprise me if all of you will end up using competely different pokemon than what you all started off with at first. You all will have the option to use any moves, which helps support creativity, even OHKO moves, but you will learn that Evasion boost/ Accuracy reduction moves and vice versa can also be used, so will OHKO moves be effective? You say Mind reader/ Lock on to garuntee a sure hit? But will that be assured victory if Protect/ Detect is used? Fly? or even Dig?
I have the upper hand, My pokemon's speed boost is unmatched, garanteed speed ups every turn... crap! Quick claw took effect, NOOO! my plot is foiled?!
I have an Arceus... I am sure to win... wait, what?! He used transform with Ditto?!
My Mega pokemon is a sure force, My trump card if he's the last one standing... NO! Perish Song?!? Maybe if I curse, I can kill him before he destroys me in my three turns or death!!!

These are a few examples of the trials you all will be facing in this experiment.

Dark void... hehehe.... I'll put them all to slee-- Crap! Lum berry?! No!!! He knows magic bounce? Insomnia?!?!?

I hope you all have fun. And Good luck, trainers. ^_-
Old August 19, 2014, 10:36:56 AM

How fun! I'd be glad to participate in something like this. ^^
Old August 19, 2014, 11:05:02 AM
Volcarona

Well think of it this way Nytz... Without Smogons tiering systems, the meta game woyld look almost exactly like Ubers.
Old August 19, 2014, 01:15:38 PM
Regigigas

I'm like, totally missing the point here. So, we're to conduct regular battles with any items and any Pokemon? O.o This is gonna exclude Double Team/Minimize, no? Or not? Cause then Clefairy becomes a monster here.

Last edited by Sub-zero; August 19, 2014 at 01:15:58 PM.
Old August 19, 2014, 01:18:03 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-zero View Post
I'm like, totally missing the point here. So, we're to conduct regular battles with any items and any Pokemon? O.o This is gonna exclude Double Team/Minimize, no? Or not? Cause then Clefairy becomes a monster here.
i don't think it is! 0_0
Old August 19, 2014, 01:24:35 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyBrollic View Post
i don't think it is! 0_0
Well, kinda odd, then. I can see the point of this, but Sand Veil + Bright Powder is gonna be a pain. Chandelure and Clefairy with Minimize will be a pain, too. I'm saying because I've fought sets like that on wifi before. I lost, obviously.
Old August 19, 2014, 01:30:34 PM
Keldeo

No limitations, so long as it's legal?

Darkrai, Zoom Lens
Dark Void, Double Team, Dark Pulse, Focus Blast

Game on. (That was a joke.)
Old August 19, 2014, 01:37:42 PM
Volcarona

That's where creativity comes in. there are ways to counter evasion, there are moves that never miss, lock on + OHKO moves, even moves that improve accuracy and other stats, like coil, or hone claws. There are ways... I think we have to try harder... Thats the challenge. Creativity is the test. Still, I could be wrong. the test will run until omega ruby and alpha sapphire release date. If it fails, then I'll abort mission.

Last edited by Nytz; August 19, 2014 at 01:46:09 PM.
Old August 19, 2014, 01:46:12 PM
Regigigas

Doesn't Lock On have a chance to miss after evasion boosts/accuracy drops? Accuracy boosting isn't as prevalent as Evasion boosting either, considering that Minimize gives x2. I dunno, if anything, I feel this particular stuff should be kept out, period. I can handle Quick Claw, King's Rock and stuff. But that Evasion/Accuracy stuff is just.. Just cheap.
Old August 19, 2014, 02:02:16 PM
Volcarona

EDIT: Truth be told, there still are limits, but limits that are natural to the game's mechanics. Having a moveset just for countering may not be effective, since the restriction of only 4 moves per pokemon is something unavoidable, but that's the creative part to it. You may want to have a pokemon as a trump card (Perhaps a Powerful mega or legendary pokemon) and then a pokemon for annoyances. you may want each pokemon to have a "Finisher" move, (OHKO, Destiny bond, Perish song...etc), and maybe a STAB attack move or two depending on types or multiple types, and for the fourth move, a defensive move (Maybe protect/ Detect, or maybe a stat boosting move, stat reducing move... etc.) so now you make it a point for your team of 6 to have for example:
1- STAB move or two depending if your pokemon and their type or types.
2-Defense moves/ Counter attack moves/ Stat boost moves
3-Finisher moves/
4- Affliction moves/ moves to urk/ thwart your opponent's strategy (particularly dark moves, I've noticed.)

There are unlimited ways. A effective strategy is to take advatnage of crits, or evasion, maybe even force one to switch out in ways besides dragon tail or whirlwind, such as using a pokemon that your opponent will have to decide is it worth the risk of remaining on the field, or should I switch out to something else?

All these elements I believe are what will make this experiment work. If anything, it may not be better than Smogon's rules, but I have a feeling it will have just as much flaws as it does successes as Smogon.

I mean, what do we have to lose by trying? if anything, it's not to be taken seriously, and ultimately just have fun! Use any pokemon you want, do whatever you like... you most likely will have to use more than just 6 pokemon in order to truly experience the unlimited potential of this experiment.
Old August 19, 2014, 02:04:05 PM
Keldeo

That brings to mind, and this may not be the right thread, but what would happen if you weren't limited to six Pokémon and/or four moves?
Old August 19, 2014, 02:16:22 PM
Volcarona

I'll be honest and say that I'm a little skeptical.
Old August 19, 2014, 02:26:58 PM
Volcarona

I know. And to be honest, I'm well aware that this may not work. But I still want to try it out... that way I can make my final decision on if I'll continue to play this game or not. Literally, I have no will to even play pokemon. It's very possible, Omega Ruby and Alpha Saphire will be my last pokemon adventures. I see how Smogon tried to keep things fair, but lately in their attempt at fairness, they've also made some unfair decisions that literally make the game flawed in ways that are unseen yet present. Nowadays, most people who abide by smogon are buying half a game, wheras the other half is forbidden to be used outside of wifi, and half of the time, not even by the choice of the game creators. I already can see many flaws even in this, but I want to weigh out the flaws from the potentials that I also see in this before I reach my verdict.
Old August 19, 2014, 05:17:50 PM
Volcarona

Double Post

Taking all the flaws I detected in this project into thought, this project may end before it begins.

Smogon may have validity after all, loathe as I am to admit it.

Well... Probably won't play Pokemon much besides to complete the in game story.
Thank you all for at least showing support, but I think my verdict is reached.
Old August 21, 2014, 06:46:57 PM
Regigigas

It would work if creativity would actually be applied, but if this stuff were legal in "metagame" type play, people will stack items like Kings Rock on Para-Flinch Pokemon and Evasion stuff. It'd be awful. The game would center more on luck than prediction, hence why Swagger w/ Foul Play was banned.

I don't think this is a bad idea. For example, the OHKO moves. It takes 2 turns to set that up for a guarantee hit and can be canceled by switching with a chance to hit. Still pretty lucky, imo.

Last edited by Sub-zero; August 21, 2014 at 06:47:23 PM.
Old August 21, 2014, 06:59:26 PM
Keldeo

as I see it, the problem isn't Smogon, the problem is their fan base. Most of them are wonderful and nice and helpful and like Pokémon and stuff, but there are a couple very loud people you run into once in a while who get p*ssed off if you decide to bring two Pokémon of the same species to a battle, or ask politely if you can use a Roserade in an NU battle, or even if you just do something that Smogon doesn't care about but they personally don't like. And unfortunately it's easy to remember the one butthurt Smogonite instead of the five hundred normal Smogonites.

Also, I think we all can agree that pure VGC rules have issues. I'm pretty sure there is nobody who plays competitive who thinks Regigigas is worthy of a ban, or that having Double Team and Minimize set up in your face is an enjoyable way to spend your Saturday night. No, I don't think Aegis is worthy of being banned either, but I'd much rather lose the ability to play with Aegis than have to deal with knuckleheads who think I have the patience to play dice with evasion.
Old August 21, 2014, 07:41:19 PM
Kyurem

I like a rule to were u can only use a +1 evasion boosting move once as long as the pokemon remains out. (Not minimize as it gives u a +2 evasion)
Old August 23, 2014, 08:49:00 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
I like a rule to were u can only use a +1 evasion boosting move once as long as the pokemon remains out. (Not minimize as it gives u a +2 evasion)
This will probably work with having an item as Bright Power. I don't think anyone would like to take up a move slot for one use of Double Team. I can work with that, probably maybe.