Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games

Notices

Search this Thread
Old August 26, 2014, 01:53:12 PM
Keldeo

Default Some more DLC for Mario Kart 8

Not sure if they intended to publish these pages or not, but the UK Nintendo store page now shows some downloadable content for Mario Kart 8.

Animal Crossing
Legend of Zelda

There may be more I haven't seen yet. Or that they haven't published yet. Both are 7 British pounds (about $11.50).

Specifically, this includes a couple new retro tracks and characters.

So, what you all think of this? I was never a fan of paid DLC, especially for games that are already $60. It's not a direction I want to see gaming going in, because at this moment there is no limit to what they can't do if the companies build the hype enough. Doesn't mean I probably won't get it, though, it looks like they packed a fair amount of content into these two.
Old August 26, 2014, 02:42:18 PM
Administrator

More new tracks for Mario Kart 8!? Isabelle!? More Yoshi colors!? PRAISE ARCEUS!

Also multiple franchises, so now we have Nintendo Kart

Last edited by Yoshi648; August 26, 2014 at 02:49:04 PM.
Old August 26, 2014, 03:56:44 PM
Administrator

If I actually get Mario Kart 8 (which I probably will, considering it's the first one I've actually enjoyed a lot), I may wind up getting the Animal Crossing DLC.

I'd take a guess that it'd be $10 US.
Old August 26, 2014, 05:48:04 PM
Administrator

Alright, we got the official press release for the expansions!

They will be available this fall, and spring of next year for $7.99 each or $11.99 for both. Each DLC pack includes 3 characters, 8 courses (some retro remakes like Wario's Gold Mine from Wii, and other new ones (pictures show Animal Crossing, F-Zero, and Excitebike themed tracks)) and new vehicles (like the Blue Falcon from F-Zero).

Also starting tomorrow, if you preorder both packs you will get instant access to multiple Yoshi and Shy Guy colors. Also tomorrow is the release of the free Mercedes DLC which includes 3 vehicles.

More details can be found on the official page here.

Last edited by Yoshi648; August 26, 2014 at 06:02:39 PM.
Old August 27, 2014, 05:57:01 AM
Administrator

Update is out today, here is what we get:

Starting the game you will be presented with an update. It'll take a few minutes to download and install. Once the game starts you will see a Version 2.0 under the Mario Kart 8 logo on the title screen.

Once in the main menu, you will see another icon next to the Miiverse stamps that can be accessed by pressing Select. This is a new stats menu which shows favorite characters/karts/tracks, how many times you won/lost, drifts, coins (now you can see how far away you are from unlocking that next kart part), etc.

Another new menu item was added called Shop. Selecting it will first take you to the Mercedes DLC that you can download for free. After returning to the menu and going into the shop again you will be presented with the Legend of Zelda and Animal Crossing DLCs. You can pre-order one or both at this point if you wish.

If you pre-ordered both, when you reach the racer select screen, selecting Yoshi or Shy Guy will bring up a sub-menu where you can select which color you want (yay there's an orange Yoshi!). In addition, icons for Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach, Link, Villager, Isabelle, and Dry Bowser will appear on the select screen (depending on what you pre-ordered), but they won't do anything besides sit there teasing you for the next few months.

Next you will see the Mercedes DLC of three new vehicles and one new set of wheels. These all have a small Mercedes logo next to them.

Next on the track select screen you will see more cups added depending on what you pre-ordered. LoZ set gives Egg and Tri-Force cups, and AC gives Animal Crossing and Bell cups (first of each set being a modern cup, second a retro cup). Again these will just sit here on the menu teasing you until they are released.

Finally, a mini-map has been added on-screen during races so you don't have to keep looking at the game-pad. To access it you press select on the game-pad (yes you need to do it on the game-pad, it doesn't work through the Pro Controller or whatever else you use instead.). Also after a race, Next Race will be selected as the default option on the menu, instead of Watch Replay for those of us who like to button mash to get to the next race already.

Last edited by Yoshi648; August 27, 2014 at 06:28:50 PM.
Old November 13, 2014, 08:57:00 AM
Administrator

Legend of Zelda DLC is out today!

First you'll get a regular game update. This includes support for amiibo, allowing you to unlock costumes to dress up your Mii character. Compatible amiibos are Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Link, Captain Falcon, Kirby, Samus, and Fox. Once you scan a figure, the outfit is unlocked permanently (so yes you can borrow figures from friends to unlock them).

If you already pre-purchased the LoZ DLC, it will ask you to download it after starting the game and installing the update. It takes a bit of time to download, so be patient. After downloading the new content will be available.

New characters Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach, and Link join the races (geez, now we have FOUR copies of Mario and Peach....). New karts include off-road Tanooki Kart, Blue Falcon from F-Zero, B Dasher from Mario Kart DS, and the Master Cycle, a motorcycle based off of Epona.

Two new cups are added bringing in eight new tracks. Interestingly, cups now contain a mix of both new and retro courses, instead of keeping them in their own cups.

Egg Cup: Yoshi's Circuit from Mario Kart Double Dash, Excitebike Arena (a long oval track like Baby Park from DD. Contains lots of jumps to do tricks off of, and the jump placements are randomized each race), Dragon Driftway (a oriental themed track, plays similar to Mario Circuit), and Mute City (entire track is anti-gravity, and lots of speed boosters and sharp turns to make it like an F-Zero race. Also there are no coins on this track, hope you got something speedy).

Tri-Force Cup: Wario's Gold Mine from Mario Kart Wii, Rainbow Road from SNES (didn't we JUST get this re-made in 7? This is now the 4th game this track has appeared in. Also Rainbow Road in the MIDDLE of the cup? Weird), Ice Ice Outpost (a track with two strips of track you can jump between), and Hyrule Circuit (race in and around Zelda's castle. Coins have been replaced with ruppees, the slot sound for the items is LoZ based, and track obstacles such as Piranha Plants and bats have been replaced with LoZ equivalents).

Also of note, you can't collect Miiverse stamps for completing a Grand Prix with the new characters, or beating the staff time on the new tracks.

Last edited by Yoshi648; November 13, 2014 at 09:05:48 AM.
Old November 13, 2014, 02:31:19 PM
Keldeo

I just came to a realization (which most of you probably realized about a month ago): SNES Rainbow Road has now appeared in half of the retail Mario Kart games that have ever been made.

Appearances:
- Super Mario Kart
- Mario Kart Super Circuit
- Mario Kart 7
- Mario Kart 8

Absences:
- Mario Kart 64
- Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
- Mario Kart DS
- Mario Kart Wii

(And it's still one of the most difficult ones in the game. >:| )

Last edited by Dragonite; November 13, 2014 at 02:31:27 PM.