Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire > Gen VI Competitive Battling

Notices

 
 
  #1  
Old October 27, 2013, 07:45:29 PM
KrayzeeGuy's Avatar
KrayzeeGuy KrayzeeGuy is offline
Charizard
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Earth
Posts: 120
Post Gen VI New Move Viability Thread

I think we need to put more emphasis on just how much fun Generation VI has given us for competitive concepts. There are moves that now operate on completely different mechanics such as Electrify which modifies the opponent's upcoming move type to Electric, or Misty Terrain which only affects ground-bound pokemon, which begins to give advantages to ground-based teams for once.

With that, let's begin with discussion. Discussion is open to all four types of Pokemon Battle: Single, Double, Triple, and Rotation. Please give some sort of notation when discussing a move's worth and what type of battle its worth will be for.

Alright, here's what I'm pumped for in this gen from what I've messed with.

Rototiller [Triples Concept]

If Rototiller can be on anything but Diggersby then we may have some extremely viable Grass-based teams. Diggersby's base stats are so depressing I just don't think he'll be able to do anything for a team before dying pretty quick. This buff concept can be paired with...

Flower Shield [Triples Concept]

Flower Shield should probably be set up before Rototiller depending on the team it's on if you try for the double-support buff concept. Especially since a load of Grass types are with Synthesis which would lead to nice stalling while buffing. Of course this all sounds nice on paper, but during this entire series of shenanigans your opponent will be attempting to shred you a new one. Which the new Frost Breath could completely ignore (and be super-effective to) your attempts of Flower Shielding.

Fell Stinger [Singles Concept]

Fell Stinger can be interesting, if you have a team with Escavalier or Drapion, you can U-Turn/Volt Switch into them and use it as a good finisher to get a free +2 Attack. Granted this costs a move slot which may or may not mess up the full type coverage of the pokemon, but a +2 like that wouldn't hurt since Drapion most likely would just be a Night Slash/Poison Jabber. Drapion's natural resistances (only weak to Ground) would go well with a nice Assault Vest too, for a free Special Defense boost if you want to go 4 offensive moves.

Sticky Web [Singles Concept]

Sticky Web by far is being adored by the community as all entry hazards usually are. A free -1 Speed isn't something to scoff at either, granted it only affects ground-bound units on entry, if the opponent isn't a Trick Roomer, they'll find their lack of speed rather annoying.

Powder [Singles Concept]

Powder is an interesting move, it's Priority +1 which allows for some potential luring for a low health fire type into trying to get another Bug type down. The problem is that unless Egg moves allow for ANYONE but Vivillion has it. Otherwise every Vivillion would be a red flag of "POWDER INCOMING".

That's only a handful of things I'm really interested in this generation. I want to see what all of you think, counteropinions are also welcome.
  #2  
Old October 27, 2013, 08:40:58 PM
Alakazamaster's Avatar
Alakazamaster Alakazamaster is offline
Kyurem
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: My own Private Idaho
Posts: 2,400
Default

[Singles]
Have people been using Boomburst on Noivern? A base 140 Normal move with no drawbacks seems pretty great, and he's the only decent Pokemon to learn it.

Oh, and in regards to Fairy-type moves, Play Rough is a pretty great physical move. Azumarill becomes pretty great with it.
  #3  
Old October 28, 2013, 12:34:29 AM
kakashidragon's Avatar
kakashidragon kakashidragon is offline
Kyurem
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Where i belong
Posts: 2,055
Default

I hear that tyrunt gets rockhead as an hidden ability. So when it becomes its next evolve stage, that head smash starts to become not to friendly that dont resist it. Plus i might used that sticky move on one of my old teams that i used once back in 5th gen.
  #4  
Old October 28, 2013, 02:38:27 AM
KrayzeeGuy's Avatar
KrayzeeGuy KrayzeeGuy is offline
Charizard
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Earth
Posts: 120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazamaster View Post
[Singles]
Have people been using Boomburst on Noivern? A base 140 Normal move with no drawbacks seems pretty great, and he's the only decent Pokemon to learn it.

Oh, and in regards to Fairy-type moves, Play Rough is a pretty great physical move. Azumarill becomes pretty great with it.
I'm surprised, but people have not been using Boomburst on Noivern, most Noivern I've seen online are Scarfed or Spec'd and usually are Dragon Pulsing everything they can. I think Boomburst is incredibly useful because it's a safe move that can be used when expecting a Fairy switch-in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
I hear that tyrunt gets rockhead as an hidden ability. So when it becomes its next evolve stage, that head smash starts to become not to friendly that dont resist it. Plus i might used that sticky move on one of my old teams that i used once back in 5th gen.
Tyrantrum unfortunately gets horrid typing, with 6 weaknesses, three of which are some of the most dominant types that people love. However, it does have fantastic physical defense which may allow it to switch in on a majority of terrifying situations. If it can outdo Rampardos' terrible outlook on life, we may have a new Head Smasher since Mega Aggron loses its Rock typing.
  #5  
Old October 31, 2013, 02:57:55 AM
PHANTOMxTRAINER's Avatar
PHANTOMxTRAINER PHANTOMxTRAINER is offline
Giratina
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 3,430
Default

Aegisash using King's Shield in ANY type of game-format. The ability to just degrade a Pokemon's attack stat just like that feels so powerful!

Although this isn't a new move, Defog went from most useless HM, to a really good TM. Defog now removes Entry Hazards on both sides of the field!
  #6  
Old October 31, 2013, 04:50:36 AM
Twiggy's Avatar
Twiggy Twiggy is offline
Kyurem
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Somewhere interesting?
Posts: 2,102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzeeGuy View Post
I'm surprised, but people have not been using Boomburst on Noivern, most Noivern I've seen online are Scarfed or Spec'd and usually are Dragon Pulsing everything they can. I think Boomburst is incredibly useful because it's a safe move that can be used when expecting a Fairy switch-in.
Singles play, right? One thing I've noticed is that Boomburst is a sound move - blocked by Soundproof, but also ignores barriers no matter what ability.

One nice thing about Infiltrator Noivern is that...

Light Screen? Substitute? Barriers? It does not exist as far as Noivern is concerned.

Last edited by Twiggy; October 31, 2013 at 04:51:24 AM.
  #7  
Old October 31, 2013, 06:31:11 AM
Cat333Pokémon's Avatar
Cat333Pokémon Cat333Pokémon is offline
Administrator

 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Nevada
Posts: 10,353
Default

Don't know if it counts, but the weather nerf has definitely changed Ninetales' viability. Drought Ninetales feels difficult to use now, and it takes away the viability of strange sweepers that need the sun like Typhlosion.
  #8  
Old October 31, 2013, 11:17:24 AM
Tarellethiel's Avatar
Tarellethiel Tarellethiel is offline
Floatzel
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: In my own little world
Posts: 194
Default

[Single]
Is Topsy-Turvy a viable move to counter set-up sweepers and the like? I've heard that it can be used on teammates in doubles and triples, but what about singles? Is Malamar fast enough to do much with it?
  #9  
Old October 31, 2013, 09:32:26 PM
JDxImpetus's Avatar
JDxImpetus JDxImpetus is offline
Celebi
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California
Posts: 1,441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarellethiel View Post
[Single]
Is Topsy-Turvy a viable move to counter set-up sweepers and the like? I've heard that it can be used on teammates in doubles and triples, but what about singles? Is Malamar fast enough to do much with it?
Malamar has Base 73 Speed.
And Topsy-Turvy has no Priority. If it gets Hit by anything w/o a Boost it Can still be K.O'd before it matters..so setting up the Topsy-Turvy could be awkward
  #10  
Old November 1, 2013, 03:12:29 AM
TurtwigX's Avatar
TurtwigX TurtwigX is offline
Giratina
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Strawberry Field- permanent stay
Posts: 3,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDxImpetus View Post
Malamar has Base 73 Speed.
And Topsy-Turvy has no Priority. If it gets Hit by anything w/o a Boost it Can still be K.O'd before it matters..so setting up the Topsy-Turvy could be awkward
Sweepers might be out of the question with that speed, but how about those bulky slow walls? I know for one thing that Aegislash is ruined by Malamar.
  #11  
Old November 1, 2013, 02:43:23 PM
KrayzeeGuy's Avatar
KrayzeeGuy KrayzeeGuy is offline
Charizard
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Earth
Posts: 120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOMxTRAINER View Post
Aegisash using King's Shield in ANY type of game-format. The ability to just degrade a Pokemon's attack stat just like that feels so powerful!

Although this isn't a new move, Defog went from most useless HM, to a really good TM. Defog now removes Entry Hazards on both sides of the field!
King's Shield is definitely a powerfully known move. Granted it's only known by one Pokemon and may be able to be interpreted quickly, it still has many uses as long as you are not paired against a status inflicter.

Defog is a good topic of discussion, I hope to see Defog Skarmory become a thing, since now we have more options besides Rapid Spin to remove hazards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Singles play, right? One thing I've noticed is that Boomburst is a sound move - blocked by Soundproof, but also ignores barriers no matter what ability.

One nice thing about Infiltrator Noivern is that...

Light Screen? Substitute? Barriers? It does not exist as far as Noivern is concerned.
Yeah, Infiltrator didn't bypass Substitute before and that just made huge catches to niche Sub users like Breloom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Don't know if it counts, but the weather nerf has definitely changed Ninetales' viability. Drought Ninetales feels difficult to use now, and it takes away the viability of strange sweepers that need the sun like Typhlosion.
Especially pokemon that relied on Heat Wave for Doubles variety, with Heat Wave's mild nerf, Typhlosion being a good example, he's going to be hard pressed to get into a sweeping form without maintaining full health Eruptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarellethiel View Post
[Single]
Is Topsy-Turvy a viable move to counter set-up sweepers and the like? I've heard that it can be used on teammates in doubles and triples, but what about singles? Is Malamar fast enough to do much with it?
Topsy-Turvy is really interesting mechanically. I'm more interested in it in Doubles/Triples/Rotations than Singles just because of Malamar's underwhelming stats unless (ironically) you use a set-up pokemon for it. I'd advise using it to invert lost stats for a Super Power/Close Combat/Overheat-based move user. Unfortunately this is with the theory if you can live after doing these said moves at least twice for it to be worthwhile.

=======

Alright let me add a few new moves to the pool, I like where the conversation's going.

Terrains. [Double/Triple]

Electric Terrain/Grassy Terrain/Misty Terrain

I think Terrains are a terrific addition to the battle mechanics of Pokemon. Finally there is something that does -not- penalize something for being a Levitate user or a bird.

Misty Terrain

This terrain says no to status conditions. Everyone is in a wonderful wonderland of no Will-O-Wisp or Thunder Wave. Zap Cannon suddenly became a 50/50 shot of just doing damage to those ground-bound. Also for teams that are not Fairy-afflicted, they receive 50% damage from Dragon type moves. Pretty fantastic. (Albeit I haven't seen documentation on if it lowers damage received or lowers damage done, preferably the former,).

Grassy Terrain

This terrain treats all ground-bounders like they're holding Leftovers. Which I'm rather interested to see tried. Chansey has a whole new level of nuisance with a Grassy Terrain user. It also increases the damage of Grass moves by 50%. Simple in concept, potentially dangerous if used right. We're looking at you Venusaur.

Electric Terrain

Okay, this one is probably the biggest disappointment. However, I think it has a secondary effect that has not been documented yet because the other two Terrains have secondary effects and this one does not. If you are a fan of Electric Terrain. Congratulations. You are now immune to sleep.
Take that Darkrai.
  #12  
Old November 1, 2013, 10:40:02 PM
kakashidragon's Avatar
kakashidragon kakashidragon is offline
Kyurem
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Where i belong
Posts: 2,055
Default

Yeah that kings shield is used so much, every battle i did on thursday that had aegislash (or whatever) had this move. It was hard to hit it sometimes unless i brought in my physical wall to will-o-wisp it. Other wise he isnt that bad to face against. Now for them terrain's, i've seen the fairy field be used online (only once) but Xeneras was the one that used it. (lol i beat it with a carbink! )
Grass field sounds cool i gotta try it sometime.
  #13  
Old November 2, 2013, 02:30:04 PM
Sunny's Avatar
Sunny Sunny is offline
Keldeo
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Under yo bed. :V
Posts: 1,176
Default

Play Rough's 90 percent accuracy is the bane of my existence.

Last edited by Sunny; November 2, 2013 at 02:30:13 PM.
  #14  
Old November 3, 2013, 06:01:14 PM
KrayzeeGuy's Avatar
KrayzeeGuy KrayzeeGuy is offline
Charizard
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Earth
Posts: 120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Play Rough's 90 percent accuracy is the bane of my existence.
We can't have Azumarill feel that good about itself.
 
Thread Tools

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Victory Road ©2006 - 2018, Scott Cat333Pokémon Cheney
Theme by A'bom and Cat333Pokémon