Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Victory Road Gym League > Archived Gyms

Notices

Search this Thread
Old August 17, 2010, 12:09:55 PM
Giratina

Okay seriously, I've been facing this problem all day in Pokémon (DISALLOWED), and I don't know how to solve it. Whenever I try to connect to a server, an error appears saying: "Error while connected to server -- Received error n°1: The remote host closed the connection" and then I'm disconnected. I tried to connect to many other servers, but the same issue came up. Does anyone know why this is happening, and how can I solve it? I want to re-open my gym ASAP, so any sort of help is appreciated.

Last edited by Shadow; August 17, 2010 at 12:12:23 PM.
Old August 17, 2010, 07:40:14 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Okay seriously, I've been facing this problem all day in Pokémon (DISALLOWED), and I don't know how to solve it. Whenever I try to connect to a server, an error appears saying: "Error while connected to server -- Received error n°1: The remote host closed the connection" and then I'm disconnected. I tried to connect to many other servers, but the same issue came up. Does anyone know why this is happening, and how can I solve it? I want to re-open my gym ASAP, so any sort of help is appreciated.
I think I may know the problem. You may have made your trainer name one that is already taken by another user. To test it out, make your name something NO ONE would have ever taken, and try reconnecting. I had a problem very similar to this when I first started.
Old August 17, 2010, 07:48:53 PM

Actually Kaz, I've been having the same problem lately too for some reason. I'm not quite sure. I've only tried Beta Server with it, but I still get the same error as Shadow.

EDIT: I actually just got onto the Mysidia! server just fine. I think we just need to use a server other than Beta for the time being.

Last edited by Ditto616; August 17, 2010 at 07:52:20 PM.
Old August 17, 2010, 07:56:53 PM
Kyurem

Hmm I think the server is just down or something. I even re-downloaded Pokemon (DISALLOWED) just to see if there were updates or something, but no results appeared. I believe all we have to do is wait it out.
Old August 17, 2010, 08:47:07 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
Ok I think I can answer that, thanks to some experience against my friend.

Latias, despite the fact has slightly less attack/sp. attack power than it's counter-part Latios, can easily be a major threat to any Pokemon in the OU tier thanks to it's high Sp. attack and Sp. defense.

The biggest thing you have to worry about in a Latias is it using Calm Mind, and that is what my friends would always use - Calm minding Latias.

With this very common set, people could easily set up a sweeper that can out speed almost every counter in OU and de-wall anything.

I think that's why Latias is Uber, I could be wrong of course, but this is my guess.
I've been swept by a dragonite and a kingdra whom set up, and neither of those are discarded as uber, and dragonite has better defense too.
Old August 17, 2010, 11:11:24 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenade View Post
I've been swept by a dragonite and a kingdra whom set up, and neither of those are discarded as uber, and dragonite has better defense too.
Dude, anything that sets up can sweep you. >_> However, Latias lacks the more obvious counters that her fellow Dragons do. Dragon Dance Dragonite is severely countered by Mamoswine and Weavile, since the two pack a nice Ice Shard. Kingdra's only decent stats means that bulky waters (of which there are many) will easily wall the guy, and Latias was banned because of how few reliable counters she possesses, her amazing movepool, and her fantastic stats.
Old August 18, 2010, 12:12:58 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazamaster View Post
Dude, anything that sets up can sweep you. >_> However, Latias lacks the more obvious counters that her fellow Dragons do. Dragon Dance Dragonite is severely countered by Mamoswine and Weavile, since the two pack a nice Ice Shard. Kingdra's only decent stats means that bulky waters (of which there are many) will easily wall the guy, and Latias was banned because of how few reliable counters she possesses, her amazing movepool, and her fantastic stats.
Latias is weak to ghost, dragon, ice and dark as types, and with calm mind she is still completely vulnerable to physical moves. Outrage, ice shard, and anything that goes faster than base 110 can easily kill it.

If she doesn't set up, then it's even easier to kill, with any physical move, especially ice and dragon moves, outrage will own it, and many others carry moves that can easily win. Latias isn't that much of a threat.

Even if it isn't 4X weak, it is still walled by any special wall, and crushed by anything non-special attack oriented.

Also- Dragonite can use extremespeed to wipe out weavile, if ice shard doesn't KO, or if weavile has ice punch/night slash instead.

Last edited by Serenade; August 18, 2010 at 12:14:23 AM.
Old August 18, 2010, 02:32:52 AM
Giratina

Quote:
I think I may know the problem. You may have made your trainer name one that is already taken by another user. To test it out, make your name something NO ONE would have ever taken, and try reconnecting. I had a problem very similar to this when I first started.
Thanks a bunch, Ala. When I changed my name, the problem was resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto616 View Post
Actually Kaz, I've been having the same problem lately too for some reason. I'm not quite sure. I've only tried Beta Server with it, but I still get the same error as Shadow.

EDIT: I actually just got onto the Mysidia! server just fine. I think we just need to use a server other than Beta for the time being.
I just tried another, less popular server than Beta, and it worked fine for me.

Quote:
Latias is weak to ghost, dragon, ice and dark as types, and with calm mind she is still completely vulnerable to physical moves. Outrage, ice shard, and anything that goes faster than base 110 can easily kill it.

If she doesn't set up, then it's even easier to kill, with any physical move, especially ice and dragon moves, outrage will own it, and many others carry moves that can easily win. Latias isn't that much of a threat.

Even if it isn't 4X weak, it is still walled by any special wall, and crushed by anything non-special attack oriented.

Also- Dragonite can use extremespeed to wipe out weavile, if ice shard doesn't KO, or if weavile has ice punch/night slash instead.
Here's a good explanation by a member from another forums:
(It's not 100% accurate, but it still provides some decent explanation)

Spoiler Alert:    
Quote:
Latias is a phenominal support pokemon. If a team is ill prepared (basically meaning without a Pursuiter), Choice Specs Latias will smash humongous holes in the opponent's teams. By far the most common way for someone to beat Latias is to Pursuit it. In the current metagame the most common Pursuiters are Scizor and Tyranitar. These two pokemon beat Latias by revenge killing it. The reason they have to revenge kill it is because neither pokemon can freely switch into Latias's attacks. This is because a Specs Surf from Latias is a 2HKO to both. Not to mention other common switch-ins including: Jirachi, Bronzong, Snorlax, and Metagross are all beaten by Specs Latias. Bronzong can switch into Latias's attacks, but because he lacks a reliable form of recovery, Latias will eventually beat him. That means that any time Latias switches in you have to sacrifice one of your team members to then let Scizor or Tyranitar get a free switch in to Pursuit. This means Latias is guaranteed at least one free kill a game in the OU metagame. It is true Blissey is the one and only pokemon that can freely switch into any offensive move being used by Choice Specs Latias, but with Latias having Trick Blissey takes a large risk by switching into Choice Specs latias. This is because it is basically useless to the team if it is holding Choice Specs. So no matter how Latias is removed from play, you can be sure that she is making large holes in the opponent's team and crippling their Pokemon with Trick, all to make it easier for your main sweeper to exploit those holes. Whether or not Latias can come in and wreak all this havoc is not a question. Latias has a unique typing which allows it to switch in freely on many offensive types, including Electric, Fire, Water, Ground, and Fighting type moves. Since all of these move are resisted and Latias has such natural bulk it will have no problem coming in several times in this metagame.

If you have further complaints, please tell Smogon because we're not the ones who decide the metagame tiers.

Last edited by Shadow; August 18, 2010 at 02:33:28 AM.
Old August 18, 2010, 05:48:36 AM
Giratina

Quote:
While yes, Dragonite does have better physical defense (barely), it falls way short of the special defense. Latias is a major threat after just one Calm mind, being able to take down almost anything that doesn't wall special attacks.

In my opinion, Kingdra is only good if you can get some D-Dances up due to it's highest base stat only being 95. And dragonite can easily be countered thanks to it's fairly low speed.

With Latias, you don't even have to set-up to tear teams apart. An unboosted dragon pulse from Latias can KO Dragonite after Stealth Rock. (66% - 77%)

But asking me why Latias is uber is like asking why Salamence and Garchomp are Uber. Mainly because of high attack and fairly high speed.

Last edited by Quadcentruo; August 18, 2010 at 05:49:31 AM.
Old August 18, 2010, 06:10:13 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
While yes, Dragonite does have better physical defense (barely), it falls way short of the special defense. Latias is a major threat after just one Calm mind, being able to take down almost anything that doesn't wall special attacks.

In my opinion, Kingdra is only good if you can get some D-Dances up due to it's highest base stat only being 95. And dragonite can easily be countered thanks to it's fairly low speed.

With Latias, you don't even have to set-up to tear teams apart. An unboosted dragon pulse from Latias can KO Dragonite after Stealth Rock. (66% - 77%)

But asking me why Latias is uber is like asking why Salamence and Garchomp are Uber. Mainly because of high attack and fairly high speed.
It is already done. We follow Smogon, and we don't question Smogon about what they say. We won't change rules either. Therefore, anymore posts discussing this situation will get deleted.

Last edited by The Spirit of Time; August 29, 2010 at 04:22:43 AM.
Old August 18, 2010, 06:11:57 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spirit of Time View Post
It is already done. We follow Smogon, adn we don't question Smogon about what they say. We won't change rules either. Therefore, anymore posts discussing this situation will get deleted.
Agreed, you may delete that discussion.
Old August 27, 2010, 02:56:58 PM
Kyurem

Is a challenger allow to challenge a gym leader to a double battle?
Old August 27, 2010, 04:20:26 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotblast64 View Post
Is a challenger allow to challenge a gym leader to a double battle?
Technically you can, but it won't count as an official Gym Battle unless the Gym Leader says that it is. This is mostly due to the fact that many teams that are designed for Single Battles do not function marvelously in Double Battle form.
Old August 27, 2010, 05:00:37 PM
Kyurem

Thanks AlakazaMaster for answering my question. I got another one in a unoffical battle can you still get a prize?
Old August 27, 2010, 05:10:45 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Thanks AlakazaMaster for answering my question. I got another one in a unoffical battle can you still get a prize?
No, prizes are not typically given in matches that are not official battles, unless otherwise stated by the Gym Leader.

Last edited by Alakazamaster; August 27, 2010 at 05:10:59 PM.
Old August 28, 2010, 10:03:33 AM
Kyurem

I have a suggestion. How about there be a back up gym leader for when a gym leader need a break so challengers can still defeat all the gyms.
Old August 28, 2010, 12:05:05 PM
Giratina

Quote:
I have a suggestion. How about there be a back up gym leader for when a gym leader need a break so challengers can still defeat all the gyms.
I'm pretty sure we have back of gym leaders, but they are the leaders when requested by the true leader.
Old August 28, 2010, 04:25:15 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
I'm pretty sure we have back of gym leaders, but they are the leaders when requested by the true leader.
Why didn't Pikaluv1 and Aragornbird don't have a backup take gym battles?
Old August 29, 2010, 04:28:21 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Why didn't Pikaluv1 and Aragornbird don't have a backup take gym battles?
Backup gym leaders are too complicated and will cause a lot of confusion. It is much better to keep it like that, and it isn't a trouble to have some gyms closed. Nothing will really happen if some are closed.
Old September 6, 2010, 09:41:05 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
If you have further complaints, please tell Smogon because we're not the ones who decide the metagame tiers.
While yes, I'm certain that smogon is correct about many, many things in competitive battling, I am also certain that following any source as religiously as to simply allow them to decide ALL the rules is not correct either. My point is that we should decide rules for ourselves, rather than follow smogon, as they rely primarily on shoddy battle, which is not the real metagame; and is a simulator of the real metagame.

My philosophy is that we should battle accordingly to our rules that we decide through discussion, rather than just accepting that another site is correct. We are all entitled to our own opinion, just as smogon has its own opinions. In truth, if there is a source of set rules we should follow it should be the national pokemon ones used in official Nintendo oriented tournaments, as those are the ones that make the most sense given that our battling is the most official.

You would certainly never hear of smogon following some other sites clauses and rules, would you?

And in regards to a certain spirit of time- Please do not delete my comment, flame me, or pull out the banhammer, ok? Simply because you have authority doesn't mean you are right, and I really would like to see members have more say in discussions on rules and such.

Last edited by Serenade; September 6, 2010 at 09:44:56 PM.
Old September 7, 2010, 01:13:46 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
While yes, I'm certain that smogon is correct about many, many things in competitive battling, I am also certain that following any source as religiously as to simply allow them to decide ALL the rules is not correct either. My point is that we should decide rules for ourselves, rather than follow smogon, as they rely primarily on shoddy battle, which is not the real metagame; and is a simulator of the real metagame.

My philosophy is that we should battle accordingly to our rules that we decide through discussion, rather than just accepting that another site is correct. We are all entitled to our own opinion, just as smogon has its own opinions. In truth, if there is a source of set rules we should follow it should be the national pokemon ones used in official Nintendo oriented tournaments, as those are the ones that make the most sense given that our battling is the most official.

You would certainly never hear of smogon following some other sites clauses and rules, would you?

And in regards to a certain spirit of time- Please do not delete my comment, flame me, or pull out the banhammer, ok? Simply because you have authority doesn't mean you are right, and I really would like to see members have more say in discussions on rules and such.
If you clarified that from the beginning rather than arguing about Latias. we would have discussed with you our philosophy rather than discussing about Latias.

I certainly understand your idea of deciding our own rules, but remember, Smogon is a competitive university. The people of Smogon are experts in competitive metagame and are more experienced than anyone of us. Not only that, but they just don't decide it by themselves. They make a poll and a lot of experiments before announcing the result. Now, we do follow Smogon in the matter of tiers, but we don't follow every single thing. An example to that is that every gym leader decides what clauses he want to choose. Some leaders put nonstandard clauses as their rules, and some don't. We did gave freedom of choice.

Now if you can elaborate about the rules you want to enforce, change or create then please list them so that we can discuss them. However, I would like you not to argue about the tiers because we just follow Smogon in the matter of tiers.
Old September 7, 2010, 02:28:14 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Can you please specify what rules you want to be changed? When it comes to tiers, we just have no option but to follow Smogon's. Do you want us to run through all Pokémon and create our own custom tiers? Or do you want us to move certain Pokémon like Latias to a different tier, etc? If such major things are done, then new comers will be forced to learn what could possibly be a new metagame altogether. I, for one, will not be willing to change my team or do anything which is way too different from the standard, competitive environment. And I'm sure most people will not agree to do this, too.

In spite of that, we'd all appreciate if you were more precise about the 'changes' you're talking about, especially if they're minor ones (because this gives a bigger possibility to do them). Maybe then we can provide a more detailed answer and hopefully resolve this argument.

Last edited by Shadow; September 7, 2010 at 02:34:05 AM.
Old September 7, 2010, 03:24:49 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Can you please specify what rules you want to be changed? When it comes to tiers, we just have no option but to follow Smogon's. Do you want us to run through all Pokémon and create our own custom tiers? Or do you want us to move certain Pokémon like Latias to a different tier, etc? If such major things are done, then new comers will be forced to learn what could possibly be a new metagame altogether. I, for one, will not be willing to change my team or do anything which is way too different from the standard, competitive environment. And I'm sure most people will not agree to do this, too.

In spite of that, we'd all appreciate if you were more precise about the 'changes' you're talking about, especially if they're minor ones (because this gives a bigger possibility to do them). Maybe then we can provide a more detailed answer and hopefully resolve this argument.
Lol, I can't stay on too much later here, but I will say before I come back and post, that generation 5 should prove more a threat to you using your team than I do.
Old September 7, 2010, 05:30:07 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Lol, I can't stay on too much later here, but I will say before I come back and post, that generation 5 should prove more a threat to you using your team than I do.
What is that supposed to mean? Obviously when Gen. 5 comes out teams will be updated and all that. There is no way people would use the exact same teams once Black and White come out. XD
Old September 8, 2010, 05:29:18 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Quote:
What is that supposed to mean? Obviously when Gen. 5 comes out teams will be updated and all that. There is no way people would use the exact same teams once Black and White come out. XD
Alakazamaster's reply speaks for all of us. You want us to modify rules and change stuff even before the new games come out, which doesn't make sense because we would be creating our own metagame. This would deter challengers because it can be entirely different from the standard environment, and they wouldn't be willing to change their teams just to participate in the Gym League. Obviously, when B/W are released, the standard metagame itself will change, and sites like Smogon will have to update their information due to that. Therefore, all battlers will be forced to update their teams because the changes will definitely be massive.

Last edited by Shadow; September 8, 2010 at 05:33:27 AM.
Old September 8, 2010, 10:18:28 AM
Giratina

Question about registration: Do I have to have an in-game team ready, or can I use Shoddy or Pokémon (DISALLOWED) until then? I'd really like to be a gym leader, but I don't have enough competitive Pokémon to make a single-type team.

Last edited by Shadow; September 8, 2010 at 10:26:37 AM.
Old September 8, 2010, 10:29:07 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
Question about registration: Do I have to have an in-game team ready, or can I use Shoddy or Pokémon (DISALLOWED) until then? I'd really like to be a gym leader, but I don't have enough competitive Pokémon to make a single-type team.
You can use Shoddy Battle or Pokémon (DISALLOWED) initially, but you have to get your in-game team ready later on. You'll probably be given a time limit to get it done, such as one or two months. Until then, you can rely on simulators for hosting gym battles.

Last edited by Shadow; September 8, 2010 at 10:31:17 AM.
Old September 8, 2010, 03:27:07 PM
Kyurem

Should somebody update the Gym Leaders Social Group because Pikavlu1 is no longer the Ice Leader.

I can't download PO and SB so can I still be a leader? I want this job pretty bad. I was wanting this for a while now. It ok if Nin win I can wait a while for another opening.

Last edited by Aquablast; September 8, 2010 at 03:34:11 PM.
Old September 9, 2010, 04:35:52 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Should somebody update the Gym Leaders Social Group because Pikavlu1 is no longer the Ice Leader.

I can't download PO and SB so can I still be a leader? I want this job pretty bad. I was wanting this for a while now. It ok if Nin win I can wait a while for another opening.
PO and Shoddy Battle aren't a necessity to be a leader. We will update the group when the leader is chosen.
Old September 9, 2010, 12:39:32 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
PO and Shoddy Battle aren't a necessity to be a leader.
Thanks Spirit
Old September 10, 2010, 07:05:58 PM
Kyurem

OBJECTION HOTBLAST AND NIN! I wanted that position ever since I knew it existed. I just figured it out when you told me. I'm afraid I can't let you have it that easy.

All kidding aside...I'd like the job too, ya know...but if you don't wanna give up the position, I guess I can wait. :/
Old September 10, 2010, 07:30:26 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassPokemonFTW View Post
OBJECTION HOTBLAST AND NIN! I wanted that position ever since I knew it existed. I just figured it out when you told me. I'm afraid I can't let you have it that easy.

All kidding aside...I'd like the job too, ya know...but if you don't wanna give up the position, I guess I can wait. :/
Well technically Hotblast hasn't gotten the Gym yet, so it is not really taken. Right now we are considering a few members as new Gym leaders and tomorrow its going to be announced.
Old September 11, 2010, 01:45:55 AM
Keldeo

Well Idischarge seems to really want the position as well.

I think we should just have a competition to see who gets it~! Kaz's tourney coming up might be a decent way to decide.
Old September 11, 2010, 03:11:56 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Well technically Hotblast hasn't gotten the Gym yet, so it is not really taken. Right now we are considering a few members as new Gym leaders and tomorrow its going to be announced.
I thought the gym was be today or what was my yesterday because Shadow told me that on Thrusday. I told Grass I was trying but I didn't get the job.

Shadow said the winner will be based on the team so I don't think I will win but anyway it fun trying.

Last edited by Aquablast; September 11, 2010 at 03:57:49 AM.
Old September 11, 2010, 03:36:30 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post

I think we should just have a competition to see who gets it~! Kaz's tourney coming up might be a decent way to decide.
We are discussing this in PMs, and I don't think waiting for the tournament is a good idea. We already have the teams and we are seeing and comparing them to find the strongest. It is mostly settled, and the announcement will be there in no time.
Old September 11, 2010, 03:53:22 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post

I can't enter anyway and beside Plantgems and I only have one DS we can play at the moment because the other broken.

Last edited by Aquablast; September 11, 2010 at 03:54:36 AM.
Old September 21, 2010, 11:23:36 PM
Volcarona

Woah, woah, woah, I would very much have liked to apply for said gym position, and though I must accept that Nin got it, I'd like there at least to be some kind of notification via mass PM to everyone possible, so that there is an equal chance for everyone to submit an application! The first time we did the gyms, I was like, 3 days late, and immediately liked it, making it a priority to try to get a place. However, Ala had my type (Flying), even before I had a chance to read about it! Could be nice to have a bit of a chance here! Just because I'm late doesn't mean I'm that worthless at battling!
Old September 22, 2010, 07:51:03 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Woah, woah, woah, I would very much have liked to apply for said gym position, and though I must accept that Nin got it, I'd like there at least to be some kind of notification via mass PM to everyone possible, so that there is an equal chance for everyone to submit an application! The first time we did the gyms, I was like, 3 days late, and immediately liked it, making it a priority to try to get a place. However, Ala had my type (Flying), even before I had a chance to read about it! Could be nice to have a bit of a chance here! Just because I'm late doesn't mean I'm that worthless at battling!
For your information, even global moderators are not able to mass PM members, as it is only confined to administrators. To be honest, I really don't want to request an admin to mass PM whenever a vacancy rises in the Gym League, as it would be annoying and unreliable (since they have more important stuff to do). I can ask Cat to add the mass PM feature to global moderators, but I'm not sure if people would like to have constant emails whenever a gym gets removed. It might become too annoying, eventually.

Oh, and instead of coming here and complaining, maybe you should have noticed that JAD's Dragon gym has been eliminated, and that applications are still running for the empty spot...
Old September 23, 2010, 07:51:16 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
It is your job to come and check what is happening in the forums rather than complaining. It is not our fault if you were away.
Old September 23, 2010, 01:16:19 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
It is your job to come and check what is happening in the forums rather than complaining. It is not our fault if you were away.
Quote:
For your information, even global moderators are not able to mass PM members, as it is only confined to administrators. To be honest, I really don't want to request an admin to mass PM whenever a vacancy rises in the Gym League, as it would be annoying and unreliable (since they have more important stuff to do). I can ask Cat to add the mass PM feature to global moderators, but I'm not sure if people would like to have constant emails whenever a gym gets removed. It might become too annoying, eventually.

Oh, and instead of coming here and complaining, maybe you should have noticed that JAD's Dragon gym has been eliminated, and that applications are still running for the empty spot...
Ok Spirit, which response would you rather have gotten back? The end result of the idea was the same, yet Shadows ended up helping me quite a bit more, explaining other details of it, and even pointing out that JAD's gym was gone.
Old September 24, 2010, 10:01:26 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Ok Spirit, which response would you rather have gotten back? The end result of the idea was the same, yet Shadows ended up helping me quite a bit more, explaining other details of it, and even pointing out that JAD's gym was gone.
It was rather more of a comment rather than a reply. Shadow has replied quite well, but I wanted to tell you that it is your job to come and check now and then. I hope you understood what I mean in order not to continue with this already replied-to question.
Old October 2, 2010, 03:09:26 PM
Rayquaza

I've been having a lot of problems with users braking my gym's obvious rules and I think we should have stronger consequences for rule brakers. (as in possible warnings or infractions)

Last edited by Magmaster12; October 2, 2010 at 03:09:54 PM.
Old October 2, 2010, 03:31:18 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
I've been having a lot of problems with users braking my gym's obvious rules and I think we should have stronger consequences for rule brakers. (as in possible warnings or infractions)
Turning off your DS once they break a rule and banning them from your gym for a week or two usually gets the message through to them if they actually want to take part in the whole Gym League.
Old October 3, 2010, 06:16:56 AM
Rayquaza

You can also send any of the GL staff member your problem and we can deal with that person.
Old October 3, 2010, 08:52:03 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
Can you please explain what these challengers are doing? We might be able to give better solutions if we get more details.

Quote:
Turning off your DS once they break a rule and banning them from your gym for a week or two usually gets the message through to them if they actually want to take part in the whole Gym League.
Or, if that doesn't work, we can resort to warnings/infractions then temporary bans, if it comes down to it.

Quote:
You can also send any of the GL staff member your problem and we can deal with that person.
I advise you to use this way only if the problem is more complicated.

Last edited by Shadow; October 3, 2010 at 08:53:07 AM.
Old November 1, 2010, 12:29:07 PM
Pikachu

Post A quick question

I'm new and just wondering what all these threads to do with "gym badges" are for. I'm thinking your organizing events for online pokemon battles over these forums or is it something different.

Thanks in advance - Chris

Last edited by Shadow; November 2, 2010 at 06:30:39 AM. Reason: Moved this post and all associated posts after it to this thread.
Old November 1, 2010, 12:38:21 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I'm new and just wondering what all these threads to do with "gym badges" are for. I'm thinking your organizing events for online pokemon battles over these forums or is it something different.

Thanks in advance - Chris
Here at Victory Road we have our own Gym League, made up of ten of the best battlers here. If someone defeats a gym leader in a Pokémon battle, they receive the badge for that gym. You can check someone's badges in the community tab in their user profile. The badges don't really do anything other than prove that you've defeated that gym, but it's fun to collect them!

Last edited by Ningamer; November 1, 2010 at 12:39:03 PM.
Old November 1, 2010, 12:38:26 PM

We do have a gym league here at Victory Road. These are for that reason. Anyone registered is allowed to try. We do use Shoddy Battle, Pokemon (DISALLOWED), and just regular old Wi-Fi battles.
Old November 16, 2010, 04:06:10 PM
Kyurem

I have two questions do you have to take the prize if you win (I think the answer is no.) If a gym leader beat the league can they pick somebody to take a gym leader job for him?
Old November 16, 2010, 04:11:28 PM
Celebi

You are right on the first one, you don't have to but it would be good to take it , I'm not sure about the second one though but I think it is yes, again I dont know.
Old November 16, 2010, 04:20:08 PM
Kyurem

I don't think it is a yes but I hope it is so somebody can chose me in to the league.

Last edited by Aquablast; November 16, 2010 at 04:20:54 PM.
Old November 16, 2010, 04:22:34 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
I don't think it is a yes but I hope it is so somebody can chose me in to the league.
Yeah, that's how it works. Beat all of the gym leaders then you can kick one out and make your own gym in his/her place.
Old November 17, 2010, 03:02:30 AM
Kyurem

I mean if a gym leader beat the league can they pick somebody to replace a gym leader since they are all ready one?
Old November 17, 2010, 08:14:13 AM
Giratina

Quote:
I mean if a gym leader beat the league can they pick somebody to replace a gym leader since they are all ready one?
No, that's not possible. If someone beats the whole Gym League and they're already a gym leader, they cannot choose another member to substitute one of the gym leaders.

Last edited by Shadow; November 17, 2010 at 08:14:38 AM.
Old November 21, 2010, 05:27:00 PM
Kyurem

I have an question how many of the type of Pokemon do you need for a gym. I thought it was 3 but I saw somewhere it was 2.
Old November 21, 2010, 05:54:26 PM
Regigigas

It's three.
Old November 22, 2010, 07:41:49 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
I have an question how many of the type of Pokemon do you need for a gym. I thought it was 3 but I saw somewhere it was 2.
Can you please send me, in a PM, the gym leader who was using two of his type? It would be more helpful to send the team as well.
Old November 22, 2010, 11:53:42 AM
Kyurem

I never one use it I saw in an old thread about 2. I was asking because I want to try for Dragon now and the limited number of evolve Dragon type Pokemon and I want to see if I could use two but I will probably find another one.
Old November 22, 2010, 12:06:33 PM
Celebi

They dont have to be just Dragon, they can be multi-typed. Like so far if you make a Dragon team, if you make it as the Dragon Gym leader, and use OU, there are only 3 Pokemon to use, Dragonite, Flygon, and Kingdra
Old November 22, 2010, 04:34:49 PM
Kyurem

You never know. Is the Gym League ever go to have a special event?
Old November 22, 2010, 05:26:08 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
You never know. Is the Gym League ever go to have a special event?
Special Event? Now you`ve got me curious.....have anything in mind?
Old November 22, 2010, 06:39:11 PM
Kyurem

Okay, there's not going to be any "special events", so let's try to avoid bizarre and unreasonable speculation for now. If anything involving extra Gym Spots should come up, then everyone will be notified by the Gym League staff.

Last edited by Alakazamaster; November 22, 2010 at 06:39:55 PM.
Old November 23, 2010, 12:49:42 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Okay, there's not going to be any "special events", so let's try to avoid bizarre and unreasonable speculation for now. If anything involving extra Gym Spots should come up, then everyone will be notified by the Gym League staff.
I have an idea, what about we start to see who want to be a Gym League and if an opening come up than they get PM.
Old November 23, 2010, 01:05:01 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
I have an idea, what about we start to see who want to be a Gym League and if an opening come up than they get PM.
I have an idea, how about they just wait to see if a spot opens so that we don't have to waste time sending unneeded PMs to people when its not even that difficult to spot an open Gym League spot?

Really, we have things settled. We don't need extra help or input since the system already works.

Last edited by Alakazamaster; November 23, 2010 at 01:05:34 PM.
Old November 29, 2010, 09:26:05 PM
Regigigas

This isn`t anything necessary, but more of just an idea for an added bonus to Gym Battles. Pokemon (DISALLOWED) has a feature that allows the usage of Mp3s as a background tracks. I was thinking we could ask a Youtube user such as http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperiorLarxene to compose a Gym Leader battle theme for Victory Road that could be played during battles, with different variants based on the Gym Leader in question, similar to the remixes of the same theme used for Raikou, Entei, and Suicune in HGSS (again, nothing huge or crucial, I just think it`d be kind of cool.)
Old November 30, 2010, 06:58:08 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraKshatriya View Post
This isn`t anything necessary, but more of just an idea for an added bonus to Gym Battles. Pokemon (DISALLOWED) has a feature that allows the usage of Mp3s as a background tracks. I was thinking we could ask a Youtube user such as http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperiorLarxene to compose a Gym Leader battle theme for Victory Road that could be played during battles, with different variants based on the Gym Leader in question, similar to the remixes of the same theme used for Raikou, Entei, and Suicune in HGSS (again, nothing huge or crucial, I just think it`d be kind of cool.)
That idea does look creative. We don't really need any person to ask as I can convert any video to Mp3 easily. I will see what I can do about it. I will wait for some suggestions from the other GL staff, and then convert videos they suggested. You can suggest videos if you want.
Old November 30, 2010, 07:35:38 AM
Giratina

Quote:
This actually sounds like a fairly valid idea. The only difficult part would be to get someone to create the theme and then do alternative variants of it for every Gym Leader.

Quote:
That idea does look creative. We don't really need any person to ask as I can convert any video to Mp3 easily. I will see what I can do about it. I will wait for some suggestions from the other GL staff, and then convert videos they suggested. You can suggest videos if you want.
He said we need a Youtube user who can compose a theme, not just convert one into Mp3 format. Anyone can do the latter, after all.

Last edited by Shadow; November 30, 2010 at 07:38:49 AM.
Old January 2, 2011, 10:51:29 PM
Volcarona

Question

how many gym leaders are here and who are they?
Old January 3, 2011, 04:10:59 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucarioLOVER View Post
Your question would have been more appropriate if we didn't have this for you to look at. :\
Old January 3, 2011, 04:12:30 AM
Giratina

EDIT: Got ninja'd by Spirit, but I won't delete my post because it contains a more helpful response.

Quote:
You couldn't have asked another question which has a more explicit answer than this one. The Victory Road Gym League forum clearly shows that we have 8 gyms, so obviously we have 8 gym leaders. Here they are in order:

Water - Shadow
Flying - Alakazamaster
Dark - Blues
Normal - Sunny
Grass - [TRDRS]PokeTrader
Steel - The Spirit of Time
Psychic - LiteTheIronMan
Fight - Ditto616

Last edited by Shadow; January 3, 2011 at 04:18:48 AM.
Old January 4, 2011, 12:01:26 AM
Volcarona

Unhappy

sorry for my silly question sorry
Old January 4, 2011, 04:46:59 AM
Giratina

Quote:
sorry for my silly question sorry
It's alright; you're a new member, so you're not expected to know everything immediately. However, try to look around the forums before coming up with questions to make sure they don't have very clear answers/replies.
Old January 16, 2011, 04:51:27 AM
Cyndaquil

Quote:
Why not Pokemoneinstein?
Old January 16, 2011, 05:45:13 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeyBart View Post
Why not Pokemoneinstein?
The person doesn't really matter. But now that we are a bit busy, I don't see the idea getting implemented soon.
Old January 21, 2011, 06:19:09 PM
Mudkip

what happened to blues's gym?
Old January 22, 2011, 04:37:24 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlea53 View Post
what happened to blues's gym?
Blues has left due to a personal reason, and is yet to come back. Until then, his gym will remain closed.

EDIT: Actually, it seems that he just returned back yesterday. I have asked him whether he wants me to open his gym again, and now I'm waiting for his reply.

Last edited by Shadow; January 22, 2011 at 04:41:08 AM.
Old January 25, 2011, 11:37:19 AM
Kyurem

I got a good question (My guess the wrong place to ask, but it does concern the 5th gen.) For the Gyms here on VR are the 5th gen. pokemon even allowed to be used when these games comes out or Pokemon (DISALLOWED), or will the gym system be changed? Like i said sorry for asking this here but it did concern this Gen.

Last edited by Shadow; January 26, 2011 at 07:00:30 AM. Reason: Moved post to this thread.
Old January 26, 2011, 07:04:52 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
I got a good question (My guess the wrong place to ask, but it does concern the 5th gen.) For the Gyms here on VR are the 5th gen. pokemon even allowed to be used when these games comes out or Pokemon (DISALLOWED), or will the gym system be changed? Like i said sorry for asking this here but it did concern this Gen.
When the 5th Generation metagame is completely released by Smogon, gym leaders will have the option of holding Gen V battles in their gyms on Pokémon (DISALLOWED). Wi-Fi battles will be allowed once the American B/W are released, but the gym system might undergo some changes if seen necessary.
Old January 27, 2011, 10:21:40 PM
Kyurem

So the gyms have the option to battle through Gen. 5, so battles an be still Gen. 4 if the gym leader allows it when the english games come out?

Last edited by kakashidragon; January 27, 2011 at 10:22:15 PM.
Old January 28, 2011, 01:06:57 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
So the gyms have the option to battle through Gen. 5, so battles an be still Gen. 4 if the gym leader allows it when the english games come out?
The 5th generation metagame will become compulsory in every gym once enough time passes by. As for Gen IV battles, gym leaders will have the option of offering them or not.
Old January 28, 2011, 01:14:03 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
The 5th generation metagame will become compulsory in every gym once enough time passes by. As for Gen IV battles, gym leaders will have the option of offering them or not.
True, although I want to point out the time given to the gym leaders to prepare a team will be vast, since the metagame isn't stable yet, and it would take even few more months for it to stabilize.
Old January 28, 2011, 01:22:27 AM
Giratina

Quote:
True, although I want to point out the time given to the gym leaders to prepare a team will be vast, since the metagame isn't stable yet, and it would take even few more months for it to stabilize.
Of course. Gym leaders will be given a lot of time to prepare their Gen V DS teams not only because of the metagame changes, but also to ensure that they enjoy their games without rushing through them.
Old March 13, 2011, 10:23:25 AM
Kyurem

I got an question: Does ******* looks like this : l because my whole B/W team got it and I was going to use it for the Gym League?
Old March 13, 2011, 10:51:54 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquablast64 View Post
I got an question: Does ******* looks like this : l because my whole B/W team got it and I was going to use it for the Gym League?
Yes your BW team is bugged and you must put your Pokemon in the PC then release them.
Old March 13, 2011, 10:58:18 AM
Kyurem

I will probably keep them since one of them is Celebi.
Old March 13, 2011, 11:52:02 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post
Yes your BW team is bugged and you must put your Pokemon in the PC then release them.
xD That made me laugh quite a bit.

Anyway, AquaBlast, "*******" is a program which allows people to essentially "hack" their Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum save files to alter various attributes of the Pokemon in the game(s). It is not a virus your Pokemon can get, or anything of the sort.

On the other hand, if you mean "Pokérus", that is a virus your Pokemon can get, though it's pretty rare. However, it's actually a good thing, since it doubles the amount of EVs a Pokemon receives from a battle. To clear things up, since it is native to the Pokemon games and not illegal in any way, but more of a training "accessory", the Gym League rules probably permit it (I'm not one of the GL staff, but as a competitive battler I see nothing legitimately wrong with using Pokérus-infected Pokemon).

The icon you mentioned (a "smiley face") doesn't mean they have it, actually. It means they used to have the virus, though the positive effects will still remain. So I suppose the answer your looking for is "Yes, that is Pokérus", and "Yes, you probably are allowed to use those Pokemon in the Gym League."

Last edited by AuraKshatriya; March 14, 2011 at 12:34:54 AM.
Old March 14, 2011, 06:22:58 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
If it is the Pokérus you are talking about, then it doesn't matter at all. You can use a Pokémon that has been infected with it.
Old March 14, 2011, 02:08:42 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
If it is the Pokérus you are talking about, then it doesn't matter at all. You can use a Pokémon that has been infected with it.
Thanks Lord, I can use my team. That what I thought it was but wasn't 100% sure and I don't want to be banned again from the League or Site. Thanks Spirit and Aura, you're the best.

Quote:
On the other hand, if you mean "Pokérus", that is a virus your Pokemon can get, though it's pretty rare. However, it's actually a good thing, since it doubles the amount of EVs a Pokemon receives from a battle. To clear things up, since it is native to the Pokemon games and not illegal in any way, but more of a training "accessory", the Gym League rules probably permit it (I'm not one of the GL staff, but as a competitive battler I see nothing legitimately wrong with using Pokérus-infected Pokemon).
I am glad I got it now because like all my Pokemon does.

Last edited by Aquablast; March 14, 2011 at 02:11:21 PM.
Old March 14, 2011, 04:28:12 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Thanks Lord, I can use my team. That what I thought it was but wasn't 100% sure and I don't want to be banned again from the League or Site. Thanks Spirit and Aura, you're the best.
No problem
Old March 15, 2011, 02:04:41 PM
Kyurem

Pokerus is allowed, knowing me i've been at smogon and other places and they allow it.
Old March 15, 2011, 02:25:17 PM
Kyurem

I got a new question, I heard that in the new game there no auto leveled to 100 so what will we do.
Old March 15, 2011, 02:52:34 PM
Giratina

Quote:
I got a new question, I heard that in the new game there no auto leveled to 100 so what will we do.
Yes, the battle rules on Wi-Fi are astonishingly bad. There are only two options: Flat Battle and No Restricions. As the name implies, No Restricions means that all Pokémon remain unchanged, their levels, items, species, it's an everything-goes battle. Flat Battle, on the other hand, forces you to only use three Pokémon, which are all levelled to level 50. Certain species are banned, so some OU Pokémon like Jirachi, Mew and Celebi can't be used, either. We're truly in a bit of a pickle here. If only the infra-red battle options were available on Wi-Fi...
Old March 15, 2011, 03:41:46 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Yes, the battle rules on Wi-Fi are astonishingly bad. There are only two options: Flat Battle and No Restricions. As the name implies, No Restricions means that all Pokémon remain unchanged, their levels, items, species, it's an everything-goes battle. Flat Battle, on the other hand, forces you to only use three Pokémon, which are all levelled to level 50. Certain species are banned, so some OU Pokémon like Jirachi, Mew and Celebi can't be used, either. We're truly in a bit of a pickle here. If only the infra-red battle options were available on Wi-Fi...
I suppose we should banned Celebi, Jirachi, and Phione then.
Old March 15, 2011, 04:32:28 PM
Shaymin

Ubers are still going to be banned obviously, but every gym's going to have to reformat their rules for Black and White and most people are going to prefer PO or other battle sims now.

Every gym leader could just have 2 3v3 battles, rotating their Pokemon. B/W's online mode follows VGC rules for the most part in Flat Battle, with the exception of 4 Pokemon on one team and no event Ubers are allowed at all, so, yeah.

...or EVERYONE COULD JUST GRIND THEIR COMPETITIVE TEAM TO LV. 100 (which is probably what I'm going to do just cuz)
Old March 15, 2011, 04:44:47 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
...or EVERYONE COULD JUST GRIND THEIR COMPETITIVE TEAM TO LV. 100 (which is probably what I'm going to do just cuz)
That would be hard to do but I suppose people can get them up to Level 50 at least.
Old March 15, 2011, 04:48:39 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
That would be hard to do but I suppose people can get them up to Level 50 at least.
Many OU-tier psuedo legends and other Pokemon don't or won't evolve until >Lv. 50.
Old March 15, 2011, 04:52:19 PM
Kyurem

In Flat Battle all the Pokemon goes down to Level 50 like a Level 100. A level 1 won't go up.
Old March 15, 2011, 04:57:09 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
In Flat Battle all the Pokemon goes down to Level 50 like a Level 100. A level 1 won't go up.
Unless you're using NFEs and not training them at all no one's going to be using Lv. 1s, and my suggestion applies to No Restrictions where you can use 6 Pokemon as opposed to Flat Battle's 3.
Old March 15, 2011, 05:59:00 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Ubers are still going to be banned obviously, but every gym's going to have to reformat their rules for Black and White and most people are going to prefer PO or other battle sims now.

Every gym leader could just have 2 3v3 battles, rotating their Pokemon. B/W's online mode follows VGC rules for the most part in Flat Battle, with the exception of 4 Pokemon on one team and no event Ubers are allowed at all, so, yeah.

Have fun EV training when the only viable option for grinding is Audino xD
Old March 16, 2011, 04:06:02 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Oh crap. I never knew about this until now! I will have to discuss what to do with Spirit and Kaz, then we'll announce our decision in a couple of days.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by Shadow; March 16, 2011 at 04:07:17 AM.