Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games > Minecraft

Notices

Search this Thread
Old October 6, 2012, 03:52:19 PM
Giratina

Default The Redstone Thread

This thread is a rather general thread where you may discuss anything related to that one annoying material in MineCraft - Redstone. What you've built with redstone, what you want to build, what would be cool to build with redstone but isn't exactly possible - it's all allowed and encouraged.

On the server, I've managed to built a crusher trap for my skeleton spawner that leaves skeletons with exactly one HP so I can just take them down with one punch. It took quite a bit of redstone repeaters (being around 20-30 of them) and even required a piston pushing a charged stone out from the circuit to cut off the crusher piston. It's probably my most advanced redstone build, which isn't saying much when you compare it with other redstone builds that are much more advanced than mine (see: thejims' combination lock for his hideout on the Mindcrack server).

One thing I've always wanted to build since the release of 1.3 is a trap room using tripwires. I've thought about using dispensers that are hooked up to rapid pulser (see top right build in picture ), where the tripwires would set off the pulsers and the dispensers would rapidly shoot arrows, but the pulsers are a bit too fast for dispensers to register the charge being turned on and off that quickly.
Old October 7, 2012, 08:37:41 AM
Zoroark

I'm currently trying to build a redstone elevator. Still working out the bugs in it though.
Old October 7, 2012, 11:28:49 AM
Giratina

A contest was recently held to win a slot on the Mindcrack Fanserver, with the theme being 'Secret bases'. As a huge fan of the Mindcrack team I jumped straight at this, and came out with:

This includes a glowstone BUD, two Redstone Lamp BUDs, arrow detectors, a fishing rod detector, a smoothstone generator, a toggleable portal, a minecart-push detector and a crap ton of dispensers.
Old October 8, 2012, 05:10:32 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
A contest was recently held to win a slot on the Mindcrack Fanserver, with the theme being 'Secret bases'. As a huge fan of the Mindcrack team I jumped straight at this, and came out with:

This includes a glowstone BUD, two Redstone Lamp BUDs, arrow detectors, a fishing rod detector, a smoothstone generator, a toggleable portal, a minecart-push detector and a crap ton of dispensers.
Nin. Right now, you seem like the god of Minecraft to me. That was the coolest Secret Base ever! Did you win the contest?! And do you think any of those are possible on the Xbox version? Like the Fishingrod/Arrow Detector or the Smoothstone generator and stuff?
Old October 8, 2012, 11:27:44 AM
Giratina

Nin, all of your redstone contraptions makes Etho look like a novice redstone engineer.
Old October 10, 2012, 12:50:36 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOMxTRAINER View Post
Nin. Right now, you seem like the god of Minecraft to me. That was the coolest Secret Base ever! Did you win the contest?! And do you think any of those are possible on the Xbox version? Like the Fishingrod/Arrow Detector or the Smoothstone generator and stuff?
The contest is in the judging phase, dunno when that'll finish but there's some pretty tough competition. I hadn't played Minecraft in a while so I just decided to go all out!

The fishing rod detector is literally just a wooden pressure plate - You COULD use an arrow, but you'd have to wait for the arrow to despawn for the door to close. As for the arrow detector I'm not sure how that works in the Xbox version, but in the PC version if you shoot the top half of the block it'll activate a pressure plate on top. Again with the smoothstone generator, I'm not sure how that works in the 360 version but I think it'll just make cobble. Lava flowing into water makes smoothstone in the PC version, but that change came fairly late I think. :/ Obviously the Redstone Lamp BUDs won't work, but you could still use piston BUDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
Nin, all of your redstone contraptions makes Etho look like a novice redstone engineer.
As a huge fan of Etho I can say you're very, very wrong. Thanks!
Old October 10, 2012, 01:01:10 PM
Giratina

As for my own redstone designs, I'm currently trying to figure out the wiring for a light system that will turn on when you enter a room and turn off when you exit said room. This will be used for a castle idea I have on the VR server; seeing as rooms will be dark, the floor will have to be a block that is considered "transparent", and the most likely candidate is half-slabs. The wiring will either be set off by pressure plates or trip wires. Still working on it.
Old October 10, 2012, 01:34:47 PM
Giratina

Im not sure I get what a BUD is. :/ I read about it a bit in the MC wiki, but can't comprehend it.
Old October 10, 2012, 02:06:42 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Im not sure I get what a BUD is. :/ I read about it a bit in the MC wiki, but can't comprehend it.
Well, its full name is Block Update Detector Switch (aka "BUD Switch" or "BUDS"). Whenever you change a block, it notifies the surrounding block that it has been changed, which is why gravel and sand fall when you place or take a block right next to the gravel/sand. Using BUDS, you can send redstone signals whenever the area around it changes. They are a bit complex to setup for first-timers, but they have many uses.
Old October 10, 2012, 03:02:36 PM
Giratina

Soo could BUD's make door's similar to what Nin made? with the gold and stuff, cause that's what I really wanna do most
Old October 10, 2012, 03:15:27 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Soo could BUD's make door's similar to what Nin made? with the gold and stuff, cause that's what I really wanna do most
Most likely. BUDS can do pretty much anything that uses redstone.
Old October 10, 2012, 08:03:24 PM
Regigigas

I've only recently started hard-core tinkering with redstone, so a lot of my stuff isn't spectacular. Best thing I've made so far is a compact version of Jeb's Door.
Old October 11, 2012, 07:39:30 AM
Giratina

As a little test to see if I could redstone on the fly I tried to make a large Cocoa Bean farm a little while ago while recording a Let's Play. I've made an album on imgur for it: http://imgur.com/a/2BPLn

Or the Let's Play episode that I make it in:
Spoiler Alert:    

I've also built an arena on the same server, which I've made an imgur album again for. Not strictly entirely redstone, but y'know :
http://imgur.com/a/aYzWQ

Unlike the secret base, these two were built in survival on a server.