Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat > Blogs

Notices

Search this Thread
Old November 10, 2012, 08:47:20 AM
Volcarona

Default A diary of a hungry pink blob.

First of all, let me reintroduce myself and explain my long absent. I have been a member since June 22, 2010 and then went inactive around October 2011 due to a hectic senior year as well applying for scholarships and colleges. I love grass Pokemon especially Vileplume, I love to play video games, draw, and tennis. I used to hate running, after during the summer, I ran every weekend and now I love it. I am a reserved person at first, but depending on who I hang out with, you can see my silly side as well being sarcastic, kind, and not afraid of making a fool of myself once in awhile.

Senior year is one of the most stressful, craziest, awesome, and one of the most memorable experience in my life. I went through a couple of mental breakdowns, a lot of laughter, and Right now I am at college and living away from home. It feels like it was yesterday when I was a senior at high school. Field trips, IB exams, Vdex project, and having a job in the summer cause my long absent. I was hoping that I would be active again by starting with a blog and recording my daily life.

November 10, 2012

Woke up at 9am and feeling productive. I got my letter done for the mentor program and read some passages from the Bible. Every week, I exchange letters with a 6th grader from my former middle school. It's a nice way to feel like I can help someone as well getting to build a relationship with someone. Last night I went to Target and realized that I have to pay $40 for my medication. WTF. If the health insurance didn't kick me out and sent me the day before the health insurance info is due, I wouldn't end up having my family paying $1000 for insurance. Great. Welcome to the real world. I will plan to go to a meeting and then work out. Later on tonight, I will attend an event at my campus which should be fun.
Old November 11, 2012, 12:58:43 PM
Volcarona

November 11, 2012

Went to bed around midnight refreshing for the colorful Mew in Vdex project. Last night at the Diwali event was really fun! My friends and I watched people dancing and singing. We get to try Indian food which is good. I learned that Diwali is about family coming together and spend time with each other as well celebrating the triumph of good over evil.

Woke around 9:30 and did nothing except going on the computer. I got out of the computer around noon and ate lunch at the school's cafeteria. There's isn't much to choose from on Sunday since most people slept through the afternoon but the food is generally really good. Tonight the cafeteria will serve pot stickers which is one of my favorite foods at the cafeteria. Pretty much everyone craves it like it's crack which is pretty much describing how people are addicted to the pot stickers. I tried to take it easy with the pot stickers and food in general so I don't end becoming a freshman 15. In my spare time, I go to the gym and workout on weekends which helps me relief some stress from school.

There was a little bit of snow falling today this afternoon but later on it melted. Everyone made a big deal about it (which I am assuming these are the people who came from a warmer place). I don't see what's the big fuss about it but I was wondering the sudden weather change. It was 70'F yesterday and now it feels like it's around 30'F. Currently I suppose to do my writing homework, but I am procrastinating. It's hard to focus when you have so many distractions. I got better with not getting so attached with the computer, but at times I still end up getting distracted and not getting homework done. I better get off right now or else I won't get anything done...
Old November 17, 2012, 06:35:09 AM
Volcarona

November 17, 2012

Last night at the international event was really fun. My club and I went on the house and cook Banh Xeo and serve to the people who came. There is another club we share with and they served Kimbap which is like sushi except they put ham and cheese instead of fish.

Banh Xeo looks like an omelet except it is not made with eggs but with flour. We put pork, mushrooms, onions, and bean sprouts. It's pretty good with fish sauce.

It was pretty hectic because there's a lot people came to our house and our group was the first stop for the event. The International event is where people goes varies of houses and try out different food from other countries. I didn't go out to other houses but some of my friends brought back the food and I ate it. The best dish was the chicken with peanut sauce. There was so many people staying in the house and it was packed. A lot of people like our food and we ran out of plates and forks. We use cups as "shots" for people to eat the Banh Xeo and made a joke around it. The event overall was a success and we got some Banh Xeo left to eat. It was good.

I stay up until 1am and woke up 8am this morning. I normally don't wake up this early (usually I woke up around 9am) but I got a crap load of homework and studying for the tests on Monday and Tuesday. Can't wait until this is over so I can go home to my family and spend time with them.

Last edited by Kirby-Chan; November 17, 2012 at 06:52:11 AM.
Old January 6, 2013, 04:04:01 PM
Volcarona

January 6, 2013

Wow, it's almost 2 months I posted my blog. December kept me busy with finals and a lot of events where they give free food. And that's how I got Freshman 5. (Actually, I gain weight after I come back from home.) After all, I missed my mom's cooking and I never like the rice in my school. Hey, at least it's better then the rice in my high school because it doesn't taste like rice at all. During break, I watched Life of Pi, Rise of the Guardians, and Wreck it Ralph (for the second time). I decorated the tree and celebrated Christmas with my family. It feels good to be back home. I didn't care what I got for Christmas, I was wishing for people who don't have the time or the chance to celebrate the holidays have the chance for this year. And also the people who don't have a place to call it home.

I played Twilight Princess, and I got over the Lakebed temple. Which by the way, I HATE the dungeon so much. I have no idea what I was doing and I couldn't get to floor 3 or other places and spent an hour without having progress. This is the first time I used a walkthrough for video games. I used TheZeldaDungeon videos to help get out this temple. The boss battle was surprising easier than the dungeon itself. After that, I heard this when Zant appears in Lakebed to make the scene creepier. Anyway, right now I have the master sword and I will get to Gerudo Desert after I come back home. So far, I love the game and this is the first time I own a Zelda game (I played it when I was younger, I just never own the games).

I visited my old friends from high school and we talked for awhile and share our college stories. It felt great to talk with them again and I wished I stayed longer. My family and went to my grandma's house and celebrated my cousin's birthday. She just turned 2 and I played balloons with her and she loves it. Man, my cousin is really talkative comparing to me when I was a baby. I was really quiet and like to stare at the tv. I grew out of it when I was 4 and I started to play house and do things that 4 years old normally do.

Anyway, enough talking about my winter break. Today I read my homework assignment and was on the computer all day. Didn't do much today since I already did something yesterday. On Saturday, my friends and I threw a surprised birthday party to my friend and we ate chocolate cake. It was so delicious. After that, I worked out at a gym for about an hour (30 mins running & the rest is stretching). Then I went to downtown with my friends and explore to kill time. January is a relaxing time for us since we focus on one class. It feels like in summer again where my friends and I took one class for college and we did fun activities.

Yeah I should stop procrastinating (again) and do my homework.
Old January 12, 2013, 12:38:38 PM
Volcarona

January 12, 2013

Last night, didn't do much except hanging around with my friends and playing a game. It's refreshing from doing homework all the time during the first semester and spending time at the library. Done with half of my homework. Now I need to go to Cub Food or a store for looking at the food labels and the prices for the other half. I never knew small towns can be boring. In J-term in my college, 1/4 of the population is study abroad or either at home and there's barely anything in the campus. Sigh. Usually there's a lot of dances and events during the weekends, but since it's J-Term, there's little activity. I might watch "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" with my friends.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; January 2, 2014 at 12:50:28 PM. Reason: lol
Old October 14, 2013, 09:49:17 AM
Volcarona

October 14, 2013

-I will be popping up from time to time in Victory Road. College has kept me busy and it's hard to be connected here when I am gone for a long time.

Right now I am apply for the Nursing program and it's very competitive. The classes are even harder and studying the Human body is one of the hardest class I got because of the crapload of memorizing. And we are solely graded on tests.

Anyway, even though I am busy with college life, I still make room for pokemon. I still read pokemon news and play pokemon games online.

-And I watched Pokemon Origin (subbed). It brings out the memories of playing Fire Red. Ah. Good old memories. I caught my first shiny pokemon, Psyduck. And I caught Suicune by chasing all over Kanto.

My review for Pokemon Origin (warning,spoilers!). I pretty much agree on Dragonfree's opinion From the Cave of Dragonfree, so I will highlight what I agree on and also input my own opinion (so I don't just parrot off her opinion). I will go in-depth and compare and contrast between Ash (from Anime) and Red's personalities and look over who is a better train based on their battle strategies. Comments and criticisms are appreciated. If you disagree with me, that is fine so long as you back up your points. I do not want to see any comments without any support such as, "OMG, Red is a better trainer than Ash because he got all the badges in 4 episode."

Spoiler Alert:    
 I honestly thought this special has so much potential, but instead they decide to condense all of Red's adventure into 4 episodes which is not enough to flesh out the characters. It has really beautiful animation and music and I enjoyed watching it for the aesthetic reasons. The problem I have with the special is everything happens so much in little time. Because the special is condense to 4 episodes, I don't really see Red's relationship with his pokemon partners except on the superficial level. Yes, I hear Red is saying that he cares about his pokemon and his Charmander but the special only shows with superficial examples such as concerning the Cubone (that has his mom was killed by Team Rocket) and stopping Giovanni because using pokemon as tools is wrong. I have a hard time believing Red cares about his pokemon from a guy who did not even check on his Charizard after he was severely injure from the battle with Giovanni. He was more concern about stopping Giovanni and his plans than caring his own pokemon. Plus there isn't a lot of showing that Red cares about his pokemon except toward the end when he and Charizard were in the lake (before Charizard turns into Charizard X). Even then, it was at the end and most pokemon would feel that it is too late to show that Red cares about his starter pokemon.

But what about comparing to the Pokemon Anime with Ash? I saw a lot of people in Youtube saying that Red is a better trainer than Ash because Red got his 3 badges by the second episode and Ash was so slow to get his first badge. I find this logic absurd because Pokemon Origin is 4 episode long, so obviously Red must get the badges quickly because the special is so short. Just because Red earn his badges quicker than Ash does not mean he is automatically better than Ash. You got to look at their battle strategies if you want to compare who is the better trainer. In the Pokemon Anime, I have to admit, Ash wasn't the smartest trainer. He was rash and stupid (back then in Kanto episodes). He earned most of his gym badges in Kanto through gratitude, pity (from the gym leaders), or by luck). A few exceptions here, such as Ash's battle with Lt. Surge. This shows how Ash cleverly wins the badge by knowing which moves Pikachu can learn that Raichu does not know and uses Pikachu's speed to take down the strong Raichu. In the Pokemon Origin, even though Red learn the type chart, he doesn't choose the most effective attack against his opponent. In the fourth episode, where Red battles for his 8th badge, he order his Kabutops to use slash against Rhyhorn first. Which does not make any sense because it is not effective.

If you look carefully how Ash progress through his journey from Kanto to Jouto, you see that Ash has improved (even though it takes longer than Red, but come on Red's journey is told within a short amount of time) greatly. His Charizard didn't obey him at first, but then we see that Ash and Charizard's relationship has grown when Charizard started to recognize Ash as a strong trainer and appreciates when Ash took care of him when Charizard's tail was frozen. We can see how Ash and Charizard's relationship as grown and Ash really cares about his pokemon through his experiences with him and become a better trainer as a result. For Red and his Charizard, they bond together, but we don't see how their relationship grow in the special, they just tell us that they have a strong relationship despite that we don't see it at all. This is why Ash is a better trainer than Red because his compassion toward his pokemon and the fact Ash came up better battle strategies than Red (even during Kanto episodes).

Comparing to the anime, the battles in Pokemon Origin are mostly anti climatic and not very exciting to watch because they don't follow the logic of pokemon battles; trainers don't even think about using super effective attacks even though they have the advantage. How are you suppose to feel awe when Charmander took down an Onix by Scratch, one of the most weakest attacks in game.

Personality wise, Red shares some of the same traits as Ash. Both are naive, rash, and compassion trainers. Even though Red quickly changed into a competent trainer, his personality is dull because he doesn't really stand out much from the Shouen Hero type. Red just badges and winds badges and sometimes helps out pokemon and stop team rocket. That's it. We don't see Red's interaction with others closely unless the plot demands it. Ash still shares some of the shouen hero traits, but we, as the viewers get to see Ash stands out from characters from other Shouen series such as Yugioh, One Piece, and Dragonball Z. We laugh whenever Ash dresses up different characters such as Team Rocket (and sometimes as a girl!), whenever Ash does something dumb, and we feel sad (or angry in some cases) when Ash has to say goodbye to his friends. Ash has more personality when comparing to Red and that's why I think Ash is more interesting than Red. Despite what you think of Ash, viewers of the anime will remember Ash's personality more than Red's personality in Pokemon Origin. The main characters aren't memorable and are genetic. If the protagonist is uninspiring and a carbon copy of other Shouen characters, then the series is going to be forgettable. This is one of the reasons why there isn't much for Pokemon Origin except for people who played the 1st generation. Pokemon Origin is great for being faithful to the storyline of the 1 gen game along with wonderful background music and animation, but there's isn't much if you don't have any nostalgia for the 1st generation games.

Last edited by Kirby-Chan; October 14, 2013 at 09:49:56 AM.