Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology

Notices

Search this Thread
Old August 16, 2013, 06:20:30 AM
Kyurem

Default How big is not portable?

How big does an electronic gadget has to be to not be portable to you? Some people do think that even large-screen phones are stretching it, while others are perfectly content with a 15" laptop being carried around, so "portable" seems to have a definition that varies with the person.

Me? "If it fits in my backpack, it's portable."
Old August 16, 2013, 06:36:35 AM
Giratina

If it fits inside my pocket, then it's portable.

That's probably the biggest reason why I don't like the DSiXL and the 3DSXL. It's unnecessarily large for a portable system. I tried playing it one time and I could barely get it to fit. Nothing that uncomfortable is good. :I

I don't carry around large bags with me wherever I go. I'm destructive, so I only carry a bag when I need it so I can have it for a longer time. Surprisingly my school bookbag has been holding up well since 7th Grade, but it's done after this year. Laptops and tablets I see as portable depending on the occasion. Sure, they're easy to transport, but only with the right equipment. (Even then I still dislike having to keep track of my bag in a room or building full of untrustworthy people.)

I'd say if you have to hold it in your hand while you go out, it's not portable.
Old August 16, 2013, 06:39:42 AM
Rayquaza

I agree with Turtwig X, unless its something that requires like a lot of wires or has no battery, if it's small enough to fit in a backpack it's portable.
Old August 16, 2013, 09:24:14 AM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Me? "If it fits in my backpack, it's portable."
There you go.

Really though, if I can carry it without it being that big of a hindrance, it's portable.
Old August 16, 2013, 09:35:07 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
If it fits inside my pocket, then it's portable.

That's probably the biggest reason why I don't like the DSiXL and the 3DSXL. It's unnecessarily large for a portable system. I tried playing it one time and I could barely get it to fit. Nothing that uncomfortable is good. :I
I dunno what you're talking about, the DSi XL fits in my pocket fine :III
Old August 16, 2013, 11:41:48 AM
Administrator

If I can bring it around, it's portable. If I can fit it in my pockets, it's also convenient.
Old August 16, 2013, 12:02:17 PM
Haxorus

It mostly depends on the device for me. Usually, however, I see it that as long as it can be carried on hand/bag/whatever, it could be considered portable in some way.
Old August 16, 2013, 01:30:32 PM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
...unless its something that requires like a lot of wires or has no battery, if it's small enough to fit in a backpack it's portable.
^ This. As long as I can put it in my backpack and it only requires the charger at most, then it's portable.
Old August 17, 2013, 02:07:54 AM
Shaymin

Most of your opinions are mine as well. If I can carry it within a bag without much setup effort, Then it's portable. Fits in my pocket, then it becomes carry around everywhere material.
Old August 17, 2013, 05:14:50 PM
Regigigas

If I can fit it in my pocket or a bag, its portable. It also depends on how many wires I have to take with me. An xbox, for instance, isnt portable unless I use a bag. But I've taken it with me places.
Old August 17, 2013, 05:36:05 PM
Administrator

Y'know, that brings up a point. In the past, a portable version of something simply used to refer to something that could be moved from one location to another with relative ease. Portable computers often lacked batteries, but you could use them anywhere with a mains outlet simply by carrying it around like a briefcase.

I know Nintendo sells a kit designed to allow you to port the Wii between home and additional locations. I believe it is a bag with a handle that comes with an extra set of hookups.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; August 17, 2013 at 05:37:16 PM.
Old August 17, 2013, 08:18:55 PM
Administrator

Pretty much like everyone else if I can easily carry it in a backpack or something it's portable, and small enough to fit in my pocket then it's ultra-portable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Y'know, that brings up a point. In the past, a portable version of something simply used to refer to something that could be moved from one location to another with relative ease. Portable computers often lacked batteries, but you could use them anywhere with a mains outlet simply by carrying it around like a briefcase.
While on this topic, I present the Commodore SX-64. This was the first portable computer with a color screen (all of 5 inches). It weighed 23 pounds and the stand doubles as a carrying handle. It didn't run on batteries, but will still portable in the sense it could be easily packed up and used anywhere with an outlet.

And more on that topic, we do have a portable betamax player in our storage shed. It's a Sony SLO-340, the first portable betamax player/recorder. It does have a compartment for a large battery (ours doesn't have the battery anymore, but we do have the AC adapter). The entire unit is pretty heavy, and you had to carry it on your shoulder while supporting a large video camera on the other shoulder (definitely a good workout). Maybe I'll take it out and get some pics of it later.
Old August 17, 2013, 08:36:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
While on this topic, I present the Commodore SX-64. This was the first portable computer with a color screen (all of 5 inches). It weighed 23 pounds and the stand doubles as a carrying handle. It didn't run on batteries, but will still portable in the sense it could be easily packed up and used anywhere with an outlet.
Yep, that's pretty much exactly what I was referring to. And while we're at it, a lot of small TVs did (and some still do) have small handles on them to be lugged around, obviously not having batteries (not to be confused with actual battery-powered sets).
Old August 18, 2013, 01:35:09 PM
Giratina

I'd label anything that requires a mains connection and more than 5 minutes of setup as not portable. Sure, I can haul my Wii to my friend's house but it requires setup and mains power. I'd call my 17" laptop portable since it runs on a battery, though, despite being significantly larger than a Wii.
Old August 19, 2013, 08:24:16 PM
Floatzel

If it fits in my pocket, it's highly portable and I'm likely to always have it on my person. If it fits in my bag, it's somewhat portable and I'll have it with me if I may need it. If it requires two arms to hold and/or connection to a larger screen, I'm leaving it at home.
Old August 19, 2013, 10:07:12 PM
Linoone

Portable and pocketable are two different things to me.

When I was riding the bus all the time, portability meant pocketability. Now that I drive, if it can fit in a backpack, or even in my car, it's somewhat-portable.

The largest device that I routinely take places in my pocket is my Kindle (Standard, touch version)

The largest device that I used to take places was my 17 inch laptop (I now have a 14/15 inch one, so it's a bit easier to lug around)
Old August 23, 2013, 07:46:12 AM
Regigigas

For me portable means being able to fit in your pocket without it making a large bulge in it. If I can see or feel it [tight fit in the pocket] then it's not really portable.