Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General

Notices

Search this Thread
Old June 17, 2015, 07:05:54 PM
Kyurem

Default There was originally 190 Pokemon in Gen 1?

I am sure a lot of members here already knew, but I thought this would be fun to discuss. In an interview with Shigeki Morimoto, he revealed that there was originally going to be 190 Pokemon in the 1st Generation. There was 39 Missingno in the 1st Generation which implied that these 39 Missingnos were intended to be Pokemon. If you traded a Missingno to G/S/C, it will appear as a 2nd Generation Pokemon. The 39 Pokemon that were intended for the 1st Generation is Scizor, Shuckle, Heracross, Ho-Oh, Sneasel, Teddiursa, Ursaring, Slugma, Magcargo, Swinub, Piloswine, Corsola, Remoraid, Octillery, Delibird, Mantine, Skarmory, Houndour, Houndoom, Kingdra, Phanphy, Donphan, Porygon2, Stantler, Smeargle, Tyrogue, Hitmontop, Smoochum, Elekid, Magby, Miltank, Blissey, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Larvitar, Pupitar, Tyranitar, and Lugia. I think it would be to speculate why these 39 Pokemon were cut from the 1st Generation. Ho-Oh and Lugia were most likely cut because they figure that they could save them to be the mascot of the second generation games. Houndour and Houndoom were most likely cut because there was no Dark type in the 1st generation. Elekid, Magby, and Smoochum were most likely cut because there was no breeding. Raikou, Entei, and Suicune were most likely cut because they did not want to have two legendary trios. Have fun speculating, and please do not fight with anyone else about this because these are theories of why the Pokemon were cut not an actual fact from Gamefreak.

I got this information from Bulbapedia: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...eneration_I%29
Old June 17, 2015, 09:27:11 PM
Keldeo

Yep. I don't know many specifics offhand but apparently they cut down on the Pokédex somewhere near the end of development, maybe because they were already 6 years in and the larger Pokédex was slowing them down. Probably because they weren't as complete as they wanted them to be.

Also remember a few of the Johto Pokémon appeared in the Kanto/Orange anime; Ho-oh made itself known in the very first episode. Kind of surprised Togepi didn't show up in that list you posted, though.

Also the "there was no dark type" bit seems a bit odd to me, Ghost and Dragon already only had one evolutionary family in the entire type, and I have to assume adding the Dark type information would have only taken up a few bytes on the cartridge. Guess they didn't like it or something, the way they rebalanced Ghost and Psychic later in Gen 2. Who knows.
Old June 19, 2015, 11:42:23 AM
Volcarona

Even if there were meant to be 190 Pokemon in Gen I, I'm not exactly sold that those specific Pokemon were the ones meant to be in the Gen I games. It appears the way they programmed the Pokemon into Gen I was to insert each individual Pokemon in as they made them, probably to see how/if their ideas worked on a Game Boy. Who knows what happened to the 39 that got removed (if they aren't the Gen II Pokemon), but perhaps their idea or design just didn't work out when churned through into the GB graphics.

The main reason I believe the Gen II Pokemon aren't leftover from Gen I is because of the order. Other than Ho-oh being after Heracross, the order is a direct copy-paste of #212-#249 in the National Pokedex, starting with Scizor and ending with Lugia. That tells me that for Gen II, the Pokemon were all planned out/already made and inserted in in the order of the Pokedex. Along the way, somebody remembered the 39 empty Pokedex slots from Gen I, and they played some fill-in-the-blank to get all 251 Pokemon in before hitting 256 Pokemon indexes (Fun fact: Forcing a Gen II game to register 256 Pokemon seen/owned will made the number overflow and reset to 0, as seen in the linked video).

I don't think that those glitch Gen I Pokemon turn into actual Pokemon in Gen II because they were meant to be in Gen I, but because their hexadecimal ID numbers just happen to be the same (because they exist and are assigned to something in Gen II).

Last edited by ThePokeMan; June 19, 2015 at 11:42:37 AM.
Old June 19, 2015, 12:11:38 PM
Administrator

Here's a little something I've tried before. If you catch a MissingNo. in Red/Blue or Yellow (it's a little different between the versions) then connect with Gold/Silver/Crystal using the Time Capsule, the Pokémon will show up in the Gen II game as a Johto Pokémon.