Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games > Minecraft

Notices

View Poll Results: Should the basic economy features of Essentials be activated?
Yes. I need a way to make my useless items more useful and don't mind dealing with money 2 22.22%
Maybe, if it's just the Trade option. I don't want to deal with money. 3 33.33%
No. The server is fine as is. I'll just dispose of/store my useless items 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old May 28, 2012, 10:57:53 PM
Regigigas

Default Poll: Adding basic economy to the server

Me and Cat have been re-looking through some of the features that the plugins we use offer [mainly Essentials]. I noticed one feature that lets us use signs in various other ways. One of these ways is basic shop funtionality: Buy/Sell/Trade.

We've been giving it quite a lot of thought, and we might implement these as a way to "sell" unwanted items in order to "buy" better ones [like selling 16 netherrack for a netherbrick, etc]. However, this would require us to add the money variable to the game, which could end up overcomplicating things. So we're asking for opinions first before implementing anything.

Another thing to add is that there's also a Trade option that would keep money out of it, but this requires the owner of the Trade sign to occasionally check the sign, as unlike the Buy/Sell items it has a limited inventory.

So, should we leave the server as is, add on all the basic economy features or just use Trade?
Old May 28, 2012, 11:03:06 PM
Administrator

One problem with money is we'd literally have to value every single item and block, making it a bit complicated. I think we're fine with just trading.

Edit: Well, then again, trading needs worth too. Eh, I don't think Minecraft should have a monetary system. It just doesn't seem like that type of game.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; May 28, 2012 at 11:08:08 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 10:57:32 AM
Giratina

When I think of "trading," I think of trading one thing of important use for another thing of important use. Those uses give the items their own value outside of trading with other items.
When you add a currency system, the currency itself has no use outside of trading, thus making its value fairly minimal. I don't think a currency system is necessary in this server due to the low value of currency and the size of our MC community.

If the server was a large server (around 20-30+ regular users), everyone would be competing to find valuable items, such as iron and diamond. A currency system would be useful here so people can buy things rather than try to compete in a dig with others or have to go far away just to get something of use.
Old May 29, 2012, 04:30:07 PM
Kyurem

Sorry, but I'm just extremely disappointed at this. I was excited about it being a vanilla server at first, but then you just keep adding ****. Hell, I'm tempted to set up my own unofficial completely vanilla server for VR. I have a firewall running in the basement, maybe I can get Bukkit to run on that.

Last edited by NismoZ; May 29, 2012 at 04:30:22 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 08:23:58 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post
Sorry, but I'm just extremely disappointed at this. I was excited about it being a vanilla server at first, but then you just keep adding ****. Hell, I'm tempted to set up my own unofficial completely vanilla server for VR. I have a firewall running in the basement, maybe I can get Bukkit to run on that.
It's like he's reading my mind. Chest protection, keeping items and XP when you die, and repairing creeper damage I can deal with because it keeps your hard-earned stuff safe. An economy is superfluous.

We're gonna get an emerald-based economy in 1.3 with the testificates, so there you go.
Old May 29, 2012, 09:28:53 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post
This was just an idea for how to give large quantities of items that noone needs a use. I personally would love to keep everything as vanilla as possible as I've found that heavily-modded minecraft can get boring really quickly, but some minor augmentations help to enhance gameplay. Nothing too outlandish.

I'm curious to know what we've added so far that has drastically changed gameplay so it's nothing like vanilla. All the plugins we've added so far mainly enhance the backend, not actual gameplay [Lockette to keep your stuff safe, Deathcontrol to do the same, most of the other plugins help with behind the scenes stuff].