Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games > Tournaments

Notices

Search this Thread
Old January 9, 2010, 01:18:58 PM
Administrator

Default Tournament Start-up Guide - PLEASE READ FIRST IF YOU WANT TO HOST A TOURNAMENT

IF YOU AREN'T GOING TO READ ALL THIS, DON'T BOTHER ASKING IF YOU CAN HOST!

As you may or may not know, we here at Victory Road host monthly tournaments where our members can compete online with each other. If you would like to host your own tournament, PLEASE read the following first:

1. YOU MUST BE WILLING TO DEVOTE TIME TO THIS. Running a tournament does take time. You must be willing to spend time working on arranging the tournament, setting it up, and making sure it runs smoothly. You must also be punctual and willing to have things up in time. If you would like you can have a partner work on the tournament with you (you obviously have to find someone willing to help). This would actually be ideal since all the work isn't being relied on just one person and two minds (usually) are better then one.

2. YOU MUST HAVE PATIENCE AND WILLING TO WORK WITH OTHERS.. As you set up your tournament, people will be making suggestions on how it should run. Don't just toss them aside, you must be willing to be flexible. In addition you must be willing to help others. It's no surprise that the internet is full of noobs who can't take time to bother reading a few posts where their question has already been answered. You are going to be attacked with endless questions from people who can't seem to use the internet. You must be able to keep your cool, we don't want to drive people away. Just help them, they are interested in playing so take the few seconds to help them (because they can't obviously help themselves).

3. CHOOSE A GOOD GAME. Since we are a Pokémon-based board we would prefer Wi-Fi games available on the Nintendo Wii and Nintendo DS. However, it isn't just limited to those games. Provided the game is popular amongst the forum and many would be willing to play it, it is fair game.

4. PLEASE POST A REPLY TO THIS THREAD BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE. We don't want a bunch of threads clogging up the Tournament board of people who want to host a tournament. If you would like to host one please reply to this thread stating that you would like to host a tournament (and if someone will be working with you be sure to mention them as well) and that you would be willing to work on it. Also try to give him some ideas that you have in mind for your tournament. When you are given the good to go by an administrator, you can start up a thread on the tournament board THE MONTH YOUR TOURNAMENT IS TO BE HELD (so if you ask in January and a reply says you can hold the tournament in March, please wait until March to start your topic).

Once your tournament has been approved by Ditto616 and your tournament month arrives, please do the following:

1. Open a new topic here on the Tournament board titled "*game title here* Tournament - Discussion". Use this discussion to start gathering ideas on what you want for the tournament rules. Be sure to state things like the types of matches/battles, what is/isn't allowed, no hacking, etc. Other members will comment on any additional rules/changes to the rules. Please look them over and make any adjustments. If you see that people seem to be split on any rules then proceed to step 1a. If it seems everyone is on the same page with the rules then move onto step 2.

1a. If people are split on rules then you need to open a poll. On the tournament board create a new topic titled "*game name* Tournament - Rule Poll(s)". In here state the rules that people are split on and the choices that are available. I recommend doing this the week after you have started the previous discussion you did in step 1.

2. Please plan to make your tournament occur on the last Saturday of the month. People are out of school/work so they will be able to actually play. Also have a time set for when the tournament starts. We have been starting them at 12:00 PM Pacific Time as that gives us time to make any last minute changes and get everything ready to go. (Besides, who wants to wake up early on a Saturday anyway?). Please try to get online at least two hours before the tournament starts.

3. With all the rules set to go, start a new topic (again here under the Tournament board) titled "*game name* Tournament - Sign ups!". In here please restate all the final rules, and any other important information (such as when sign-ups close, when tournament will take place, etc). I also advice you put something like "Even if you aren't sure you will be in the tournament, sign up anyway so we have a place for you". It's easier just to drop someone from the bracket then having to find room to add them later. People will then reply stating they are in the tournament. In addition, feel free to inform Ditto616 that you are starting sign-ups so that he may put up a YouTube video ad on his channel to attract more members. For an example here is the one used for the Mario Kart Wii tournament.

4. The week before the tournament actually takes place, stop allowing sign-ups and lock the thread (if you don't have this power just PM a global moderator or higher and we will take care of it). Now with your list of participants, start working on your tournament brackets. Please try to have them done ASAP.

5. Since the tournament will be taking place on a Saturday, the Wednesday/Thursday before please remind Cat to set up another YouTube ad video to remind anyone who isn't a regular forum member. This step isn't required, and Cat said he doesn't really upload videos for tourneys much anymore, but you can still ask him.

6. The day of the tournament, please be online at least two hours before it starts. Start up a new topic on the Tournament board titled "*game name* TOURNAMENT TODAY - EVERYBODY PLEASE READ" (Yes, use all caps to get attention, this will be your most important topic on tournament day). Use this topic to re-state rules, what opponents should do when they see who they are battling with, etc. In here also upload the tournament brackets you have created. From here you can do one of two things. When people win the round they can post in that thread, or you can have them do so in another thread. I would recommend setting up another thread for the results (that way they are all in one place and you still have your bracket thread open for any last minute questions). Remember that if your results are in another thread be sure to link to them.
For an example here is the one used for the Mario Kart Wii tournament .

7. As people start posting the results of their individual battles, make sure you are updating the brackets. I recommend updating the brackets as results start coming in and only uploading them once an entire round is complete.

8. Once the tournament is over be sure you announce who the winners were. Please let Ditto616 know who the top four winners were (in order) so that we may give them their prizes of special PokéDoptables and Forum Experience Points. If you have any additional prizes you want to give out, be sure to handle those as well.

At this point your tournament is now over. Good luck!

Last edited by Yoshi648; February 27, 2011 at 01:01:03 PM. Reason: Ditto is now the official tourney organizer.
Old January 9, 2010, 02:58:56 PM
Keldeo

Hmm so Yoshi Cat told me your incharge of deciding who host tourneys. Would be ok for me to host the next monthly tourney after MKwii, or is it mod and assist mod exclusive? o3o
Old January 9, 2010, 03:08:29 PM
Administrator

Uh, did you even bother reading all that? I'm pretty sure I mentioned that you would have to PM Cat. And thank you for reminding me to add the disclaimer that if you don't bother reading it all then don't bother asking to host.
Old January 9, 2010, 04:13:17 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
Uh, did you even bother reading all that? I'm pretty sure I mentioned that you would have to PM Cat. And thank you for reminding me to add the disclaimer that if you don't bother reading it all then don't bother asking to host.
Was gonna ask before I read all of it, as I don't want to read a "how to host a tournement" guide if I can't host a tournement. =w= Also Cat told me before you were the one in charge of tourneys. Ill read if it is possible for me to host though.
Old January 9, 2010, 05:01:02 PM
Kyurem

I think that making this guide was a really good idea, becasue the tournaments on the site should be able to move smoothly, and hopefully not have an incident much like today's brawl tournament >.<

Also, is it allowed to run smaller tournaments that aren't fourm wide and are not the tournament of the month? Like a brawl tournament with 8 people or something? Winners obviously wouldn't receive prizes like rare pokedoptables, but they would take up some space in the tournaments section.
Old January 9, 2010, 08:07:32 PM
Administrator

You are allowed to run your own personal tournament as long as you get administrator approval. To do so, simply pitch your idea to either me or Yoshi and we'll probably approve it. (Make sure you put "Approved by _____" in your opening post.) You are allowed to make your own prizes for it.
Old January 10, 2010, 02:30:14 AM
Giratina

Can two people run a tournament, either personal or forum-wide? In other words, can two partners host a tourney? (After approval, of course)

Also, thanks for the guide. I was thinking of hosting a tournament sometime, and now I know where I can start.
Old January 10, 2010, 08:22:46 AM
Administrator

Absolutely, that would work better because all the work isn't relied on just one person.

*adds to guide*

Last edited by Yoshi648; January 10, 2010 at 09:39:48 AM.
Old January 15, 2010, 10:11:25 AM
Giratina

I have a lot of free time, especially on Saturdays, so I'd be happy to host a tournament. I'll PM Cat if I get an idea for one, and I'll be sure to do everything as quickly as possible while the tournament's going on. I'm gonna set the standard for tournament organisation! Yay!
Old January 16, 2010, 02:24:19 AM
Giratina

You should also state that GMT time zones are going to be the default time zones to be used for arranging tournament timings (after checking the new thread in the "Announcements" section).
Old January 17, 2010, 07:06:27 AM
Giratina

Lets say I hosted a tournament, could i join my own tournament?
Old January 17, 2010, 07:58:47 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
Lets say I hosted a tournament, could i join my own tournament?
Yes, I believe you can join it.
Old January 17, 2010, 08:45:49 AM
Administrator

Of course you can join in your own tournament! Just remember to stay on top of everything.
Old July 7, 2010, 01:49:22 AM
Administrator

IMPORTANT
Rule #4 was changed due to an overwhelming number of PMs about tournaments. If you want to host a tournament, reply to this thread with your ideas instead of PMing me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
4. PLEASE POST A REPLY TO THIS THREAD BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE. We don't want a bunch of threads clogging up the Tournament board of people who want to host a tournament. If you would like to host one please reply to this thread stating that you would like to host a tournament (and if someone will be working with you be sure to mention them as well) and that you would be willing to work on it. Also try to give him some ideas that you have in mind for your tournament. When you are given the good to go by an administrator, you can start up a thread on the tournament board THE MONTH YOUR TOURNAMENT IS TO BE HELD (so if you ask in January and a reply says you can hold the tournament in March, please wait until March to start your topic).
Old July 7, 2010, 02:15:58 AM
Rayquaza

Basicly the rules for this tournament is that pokemon are supposed to send out pokemon in this order.

Red
Brown
Yellow/White
Green
Blue/Black/Gray
Purple/Pink

All pokemon by colors can be refrenced here
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...A9mon_by_color

Switching out is banned
Moves like whirlwind and u-turn are banned
Sleep Clause will be in effect

I'm thinking of making the date being August 14th

Blues will also cohost.
Old July 8, 2010, 05:19:04 AM
Kyurem

Can I have a tournament in August because September will be bad and I try contact you in June.
Old July 12, 2010, 07:56:17 AM
Kyurem

Hmm, can I have a tournament for Mario Kart DS, please? *is slightly clueless*
Old July 15, 2010, 01:27:07 PM
Servine

I want to have a pokemon Heart Gold Soul Silver Legendary Pokemon Battle in July or August. PM me after you decide.

Last edited by hobobob; July 15, 2010 at 01:28:39 PM.
Old July 20, 2010, 01:50:57 PM
Giratina

You guys are CLEARLY not reading the original post at all.
You have to ask Cat if you can host a tournament.

*Reads over rules*
Wait, when did it change to asking in thread instead of PM-ing cat?

Last edited by Quadcentruo; July 20, 2010 at 01:52:41 PM.
Old August 12, 2010, 05:47:24 AM
Charizard

I know that there's already been a Brawl tournament, but if anything, would I be able to schedule one for September? If not, October?

It'll be either Vanilla Brawl, or Balanced Brawl, I'd like to set up a poll for tournament-interested to see their replies.

I'm kinda doing this because I used to set up tournaments often at my school, and I also missed the last tournament without even being aware it happened.
Old August 12, 2010, 10:57:08 AM
Volcarona

I was thinking about another Team Brawl tourney... Partners can be chosen and the rules will pretty much be the same as the last brawl tourney...
Old August 15, 2010, 11:23:50 AM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsaberslash View Post
I was thinking about another Team Brawl tourney... Partners can be chosen and the rules will pretty much be the same as the last brawl tourney...
If I am able to establish a Brawl tourney day, it can be easily done that both doubles and singles are doable.
Old August 17, 2010, 11:57:08 PM
Volcarona

I've asked cat, and he said I could but that VR wouldn't sponsor it, so can I go ahead and make a topic and start up a Hacked tourney?

And yes, I would hack entire teams for people, and send them to their DSs, etc. to make it work, provide prizes, etc.
Old August 29, 2010, 10:56:13 AM
Giratina

I'd happily host an ordinary Pokémon tournament. OU Singles with Sleep Clause, Evasion Clause, OHKO Clause and Species Clause.We haven't had a normal Pokémon tournament for quite some time.
Old August 30, 2010, 07:38:21 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
I'd happily host an ordinary Pokémon tournament. OU Singles with Sleep Clause, Evasion Clause, OHKO Clause and Species Clause.We haven't had a normal Pokémon tournament for quite some time.
I agree with Nin's idea.

I really want a standard Pokemon battle instead of mixing up the rules.
Old September 9, 2010, 01:31:19 PM
Kyurem

I want to try to host a standrard tourney and Ubers are allow.

Last edited by Aquablast; September 9, 2010 at 01:31:36 PM.
Old January 28, 2011, 11:57:26 AM
Kyurem

I have a idea of a metagame for a pokemon tournament (I can ask this here right? i dont see a spot for questions). You know the battle Dome in the battle frontier in pokemon emerald right, where you and your opponets choose 3 pokemon and you get to see your opponets team and choose 2 of your pokemon based on what you think they will send out when the battle begins. (sort of like PBR) but have it where you dont see your opponets team till the tournament begins, that way you cant cheat and change your team to counter the opponets team. But you have to register a team so you have to stick with the same team through out the whole tournament and such.

So what you think guys, i think it be fun and challenging to do this once and see what happens.

Plus i think the clauses would have to be kinda strict, like having the item clause, sleep clause, evasion clause, and some other clauses as well, and maybe have the battles be lv 50 singles.

Last edited by kakashidragon; January 28, 2011 at 12:01:33 PM.