Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Artwork, Music, and Fan-Fiction
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old June 30, 2010, 01:43:18 AM
Rayquaza

Default The winners of the Art Contest!

Judging has ended, and now it is the time to announce the results. First of all, I want to thank all those who submitted pictures and helped in making this contest a success.

In the beginning, I will post all the pictures submitted with their ratings and the comments mentioned. However, before I start, I must mention the judges to avoid confusion.

The judges were The Spirit of Time, EricThePelipper and someone who isn't in the forums, but I know personally. If by any chance a judge submitted a picture, he was replaced by PokeRemixStudio. So, I would like to thank all the judges, excluding me, for their effort in judging the pictures.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Achamo~Torchic
http://torosiken.deviantart.com/art/...rawn-168811728

Rating: 8 / 7 / 7
Total: 22
Comment of EricThePelipper:I love the simple theme of Fire/Water/Grass; you make it look so complex.

alternateshadow300
http://alternateshadow300.deviantart...achu-168824996

Rating: 9 / 8 / 9
Total: 26
Comment of The Spirit of Time: I like Sonic a lot. The Pikachu doesn't seem to be fine, or the Kirby's head.
Comment of EricThePeilipper: Very close to the original Brawl pictures, I like how it is 3 characters that can all be played on a Nintendo system.

EricThePelipper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3ux8...layer_embedded

Rating: 7 / 7 / 5
Total: 19
Comment of The Spirit of Time: Shading is necessary. It looks flat.

Fubab_107
http://www.victoryroad.net/picture.p...pictureid=1167

Rating: 5 / 5 / 7
Total: 17
Comment of The Spirit of Time: The quality is poor. I think you should focus on the original picture in order get a better image.
Comment of EricThePelipper: Very funny in style and the meaning of the picture, but sadly the art isn't as good as the originals. You will improve if you aim to.

Ningamer
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2954/entei.jpg

Rating: 9 / 10 / 8
Total: 27
Comment of The Spirit of Time: I love it. The picture is quite cool and sharp. The shading is good .
Comment of EricThePelipper: Amazing artwork! It would be nice if it was all darkened instead of just the head.

The Spirit of Time
http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/a...ses/img025.jpg

Rating: 10 / 10 / 7
Comment of EricThePelipper: : Realistic and captures the natural beauty of one the creatures of Earth.

blueumbreon
http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/a...entry_by_p.jpg

Rating: 3 / 5 / 4
Total: 12
Comment of EricThePelipper: Hard to see the features and the colors used don't look good together due to their darkness.

LoPun
http://lopun.deviantart.com/art/Snak...oark-169237771

Rating: 9 / 10 / 8
Comment of The Spirit of Time: I was going to give you an eight, but the yellow snake's eye was amazing, so I gave it a nine.
Comment of EricThePelipper: Well drawn and kinda funny lol.

Kirby-Chan
http://kirby-chan42.deviantart.com/a...irby-169378311

Rating: 8 / 7 / 8
Total: 23
Comment of The Spirit of Time: The color scheme is impressive. However, I don't like the colorful and happy theme very much. I also noticed that the tree is really good looking.
Comment of EricThePelipper: : Very original look similar to the original artwork and the background fits very well.
Comment of the person who isn't the forums: It is very simple. The colors aren't mixed and joined up well.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now that the results are shown, here are the winners:
Ningamer
LoPun
The Spirit of Time

They all received the same score, shockingly. I can say nothing but congratulations for Ningamer & LoPun.
The prizes are offered by EricThePelipper. I would like to thank him so much for his great offer. The prizes are TRU Dragonite, TRU Regigigas & Movie11 Shaymin. I request all the winners to send EricThePelipper a PM notifying him with everyone wants. Due to the tie, the winners need to discuss with each other about the prizes.

In the end, I want to thank everyone again for the participation. I don't want anyone to be upset with the results, as I tried my best to make it as fair as possible.

Just as a side note, if you guys think that this contest is a success, then we can make every 2~3 months an art contest but in more details. For example, an art contest which is only related to Pokémon, etc. What do you think?
Old June 30, 2010, 02:40:18 AM
Giratina

To be honest, some of the comments are useless/irrelevant, and some of the pictures were judged unfairly (deserved a higher/lower score). For next time, I suggest choosing better judges who are slightly more experienced in art and design. Also, judges shouldn't be allowed to participate because it would make it harder for members to win.

Other than those comments, I think it's nice to have an art contest once every 3-4 months because it is different than the other tournaments. Well done to all the members who helped in running it successfully.
Old June 30, 2010, 04:57:18 AM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
To be honest, some of the comments are useless/irrelevant, and some of the pictures were judged unfairly (deserved a higher/lower score). For next time, I suggest choosing better judges who are slightly more experienced in art and design. Also, judges shouldn't be allowed to participate because it would make it harder for members to win.

Other than those comments, I think it's nice to have an art contest once every 3-4 months because it is different than the other tournaments. Well done to all the members who helped in running it successfully.
I've been experienced in art for as long as I can remember, I've read up on it as well. I don't see a problem for judges to enter, I entered and lost. It is based on your skill to draw not on if a judge enters. They may have been judged poorly in your view, but I judged my complete honest answer.
Old June 30, 2010, 05:40:29 AM
Haxorus

Congratulations to the winners.
Old June 30, 2010, 07:31:59 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post

I agree with EricThePelipper. I chose the judges whom I was sure that they will be honest no matter what happens. Also, the judges gave a 10 to other members. I also chose 3 judges to make the judging as versatile as possible.
Old June 30, 2010, 09:50:37 AM
Giratina

(:
Thanks, guys!

AlternateShadow came really close. Merely one point off!

I'd like to have another art contest sometime. It encourages me to actually get off my backside and do something (while still on my backside, really...).
However, I don't think the judges should be allowed to enter. I think it makes it a bit unfair. And have different judges every time, methinks. (:
Old June 30, 2010, 09:53:21 AM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningamer View Post
(:
Thanks, guys!

AlternateShadow came really close. Merely one point off!

I'd like to have another art contest sometime. It encourages me to actually get off my backside and do something (while still on my backside, really...).
However, I don't think the judges should be allowed to enter. I think it makes it a bit unfair. And have different judges every time, methinks. (:
I don't understand why judges shouldn't enter...
I used myself as an example and I lost, fair game I say. I picture my entry with shading and I think it would have been better, but it was nice to draw something so challenging.

Different judges does sound nice though, b/c giving a score was difficult in a way lol, I rather not judge again.
Old June 30, 2010, 10:25:18 AM
Rayquaza

Of course there will be different judges. There is no doubt about it. Regarding what has been said that judges rated their own pictures, it is wrong. I specifically mentioned that if a judge submitted a picture, PokeRemixStudio rated their picture.

I will see about another tournament after few months.

Last edited by The Spirit of Time; June 30, 2010 at 10:40:25 PM.
Old June 30, 2010, 12:10:32 PM
Volcarona

I enjoy participate in the art contest and I will join more art contest in the future.It gets me motivated to draw.However, I think there should be categories for judging pictures such as technique, color, shading, or something like that so we know what the pictures are judge and why we get the score we receive.
Old June 30, 2010, 10:41:30 PM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby-Chan View Post
I enjoy participate in the art contest and I will join more art contest in the future.It gets me motivated to draw.However, I think there should be categories for judging pictures such as technique, color, shading, or something like that so we know what the pictures are judge and why we get the score we receive.
A good suggestion. I will be thinking of them in the future. Remember that this contest was the beginning, so it couldn't be that good. It will be better with such like these suggestions.

Last edited by The Spirit of Time; June 30, 2010 at 10:41:42 PM.
Old July 1, 2010, 06:45:51 AM
Haxorus

Congrats to everyone Nice work!

Regarding judges:

Everyone judges differently. That's okay, but when a judge has to be replaced (for any reason) the judging is thrown off. For example, Judge C has to be replaced with Judge D. C is more strict about art than D, so all the drawings C judged have a lower score because of his strictness. If D judged the same pieces (keeping in mind he is less strict), he would give them higher scores (they might not be too higher, but a few points can matter in things like these), messing up the results. In this competition, Judge C has judged everything else except his own. Judge D comes along and is more/less strict in judging. C gets a different amount of points because D judges differently.

Does this make sense? Judges shold not enter because the one substitute judge can screw up everything (I've had personal experience with this, and it got me very angry). Judges should remain constant throughout the entire competition.

If anything doesn't make sense, just tell me, and I'll try to fix it.
Old July 1, 2010, 07:03:58 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariothecellist View Post
Congrats to everyone Nice work!

Regarding judges:

Everyone judges differently. That's okay, but when a judge has to be replaced (for any reason) the judging is thrown off. For example, Judge C has to be replaced with Judge D. C is more strict about art than D, so all the drawings C judged have a lower score because of his strictness. If D judged the same pieces (keeping in mind he is less strict), he would give them higher scores (they might not be too higher, but a few points can matter in things like these), messing up the results. In this competition, Judge C has judged everything else except his own. Judge D comes along and is more/less strict in judging. C gets a different amount of points because D judges differently.

Does this make sense? Judges shold not enter because the one substitute judge can screw up everything (I've had personal experience with this, and it got me very angry). Judges should remain constant throughout the entire competition.

If anything doesn't make sense, just tell me, and I'll try to fix it.
I can't understand he whole judging C & D thing.
Old July 1, 2010, 07:18:34 AM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spirit of Time View Post
I can't understand he whole judging C & D thing.
So pretty much everything...

One person judges his way for every entry but one. For that one entry, another judge must come in. he judges his way, which is different. He might give that last entry more points than the other person would because his style of judging is different. Those few extra points given to that entry could boost it up to 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place. To prevent anything like this, judges need to be the same in the entire contest to make sure the same judging techniques are used.

Is this better?
Old July 1, 2010, 07:33:02 AM
Zoroark

Mario,

PRS only judged a judge entries liek say;

Spirit and I both entered, so we had PRS judge only our work so it was fair.
Old July 1, 2010, 07:58:44 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariothecellist View Post
So pretty much everything...

One person judges his way for every entry but one. For that one entry, another judge must come in. he judges his way, which is different. He might give that last entry more points than the other person would because his style of judging is different. Those few extra points given to that entry could boost it up to 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place. To prevent anything like this, judges need to be the same in the entire contest to make sure the same judging techniques are used.

Is this better?
Just to make you comfortable, PRS was very strict in judging. I received 10 from both the judges, but PRS gave me a 7. Eric also received a 7 from PRS. He was really strict in judging. I can see that Eric wasn't much strict in judging; he concentrated on the theme of the image. I concentrated on the details. The unknown judge concentrated on the theme as well.
Old July 1, 2010, 09:05:03 AM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricThePelipper View Post
Spirit and I both entered, so we had PRS judge only our work so it was fair.
But he may judge differently than you or Spirit

Quote:
PRS was really strict in judging. I can see that Eric wasn't much strict in judging; he concentrated on the theme of the image. I concentrated on the details. The unknown judge concentrated on the theme as well.
So, if PRS replaced Eric, the points would be different because of their different judging styles.
Old July 1, 2010, 09:43:16 AM
Rayquaza

True. I guess the results, other than mine and Eric, would have been lower. Anyway, this was a start, so it will be more accurate in the future.
Old July 1, 2010, 09:50:08 AM
Haxorus

Quote:
True. I guess the results, other than mine and Eric, would have been lower. Anyway, this was a start, so it will be more accurate in the future.
Thanks for listening to me The same thing happened when I was auditioning for the High School All County Honors Orchestra this past year. Someone who did not deserve second chair was judged by a middle school teacher (I'm pretty sure she wasn't even an orchestra teacher, maybe band) and got on everyones nerves.

Thanks
Old July 1, 2010, 09:56:45 AM
Giratina

And maybe next time some effort could be put into the prizes. I don't mind getting event Pokemon, but when the person giving them out gets them as easily as connecting to Wi-Fi at any time (Pokestation GTS) it's not really that great a prize (Considering almost anybody can do it).
Old July 1, 2010, 12:39:33 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
And maybe next time some effort could be put into the prizes. I don't mind getting event Pokemon, but when the person giving them out gets them as easily as connecting to Wi-Fi at any time (Pokestation GTS) it's not really that great a prize (Considering almost anybody can do it).
lol, but you didn't do it >.<

I got some real events that took forever for me to get, and you know if I only got 1 a copy I really doubt I'd give it out. Would you?
Old July 1, 2010, 01:32:55 PM
Haxorus

I don't understand what the big deal is. Why's everyone arguing because 2 of the judges entered?
Old July 1, 2010, 02:01:20 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricThePelipper View Post
lol, but you didn't do it >.<

I got some real events that took forever for me to get, and you know if I only got 1 a copy I really doubt I'd give it out. Would you?
1. Yes I did
2. I wouldn't give it out, no. I would give out a well bred and well trained good Pokemon though. Maybe...?
Old July 1, 2010, 03:52:19 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
1. Yes I did
2. I wouldn't give it out, no. I would give out a well bred and well trained good Pokemon though. Maybe...?
Nin, smart idea. I hope you become a future judge
Old July 1, 2010, 05:10:30 PM
Regigigas

these are good
Old July 2, 2010, 11:24:19 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
I was going to do so, but I didn't have Wi-Fi, so I had to ask Eric to be responsible for the prizes.
Old July 4, 2010, 06:36:32 AM
Giratina

Okay, let me start by explaining my first post:

Firstly, I suggested to disallow judges to participate because some of them may be pretty good artists, and therefore they wouldn't give a chance to other members to win. Secondly, as someone here mentioned, different judges may have different judging styles, and this has to be considered when picking judges for the next tournament. You don't want a very strict/lenient judge; you want sensible ones who give comments fairly. Thirdly, after reading some comments in this thread, a good list of criteria that can be taken into account when judging a drawing is this:

-Originality (2 points)
-Theme (2 points)
-Shading/Colouring (3 points)
-Details of image (3 points)

Total: 10 points

Based on this list, the judges give a score on every criteria for all the drawings which are submitted. In this way, the participant knows where his flaws were, and can work on correcting them later.

I hope I clarified myself now.
Old July 25, 2010, 07:18:43 AM
Mudkip

(sorry if counted as bumping, just active again now XD)

Congrats to the winners! And I need to use a better camera next time xD

I wished for a scanner 8D