Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat > Blogs

Notices

Search this Thread
Old October 31, 2012, 04:06:24 PM
Landorus

Default Hi, I'm Spiky! I'm knitting blogs!

Probably not the best title in the world, but yeah; I'm Spiky, and this is my knitted blog. Just to warn you now; this is probably going to contain lots of knitting, Minecraft, and music/Audiobooks, as that's usually what my days consist of.

10/31/2012

Happy Halloween to you all! We had our homeshooler's classes/activities today, and while the ones I'm in didn't go with a Halloween theme, per se, a lot of the people there were already wearing their costumes.

My first class, a singing class, went well (though I did get there late); we talked a lot about the Cause and Effect the performer has with the audience, and vice versa, and we played a game that helped to show how that worked. Basically, we used an imaginary ray gun that made people do something, depending on which setting it was on. There was the Sleep setting, the Fidget setting, the "Coo" setting, and the Gangnam Dance setting. I found out that I don't Gangnam very well. X3

Next was "Card Frenzy", where I played a game of Munchkin with my brother, the 'Teacher', and a couple of other people. If you haven't played Munchkin before, I highly recommend it; you have to try to get to level 10 first, and you can do so by defeating monsters. To defeat the monsters, you can play items and other bonuses to give you the advantage, or ask (Or more accurately, bribe) other players for help. But be careful; your opponents can play cards to strengthen the monster, weaken you, or even send another monster to battle you alongside the first. It's a bit complicated, but it becomes easier to understand with practice.

Well, it's about time to head to my Grandparents' to have dinner and go trick-or-treating. Have a good day, everyone, and all you vampires stay inside until dark, or else you'll SPARKLE~! *shot for making a Twilight reference*
Old November 1, 2012, 05:56:39 PM
Landorus

11/1/2012

Well, we had a blast last night; My Grandpa made some pulled pork sandwiches for dinner, which were awesome as always~ Then the grown-ups talked a bit while we were getting ready, Mom got some pictured of us in our costumes (I might be able to post mine when it's uploaded; Mom and Dad said it would be okay since the box covers my face), and then we went out. We made it around pretty much the whole neighborhood, though E3 did head back a bit early because she was getting tired. When the rest of us were done, we decided on the way back that we would knock on my Grandparents' door as a joke. I was lagging behind because my feet were starting to hurt, so my little siblings made it to the door before I did. All the same, I could still see what happened:
E3: *Opens door and looks out*
E2 and E4: Trick or Treat!
E3: *Closes door*
It was so funny! The expression on my sister's face when she was closing the door was just perfect. After we all got in, the grown-ups talked for a bit more while we sorted out our candy, then we left for home.

As for today, we had more homeschool stuff, starting with Minecraft. We didn't have a designated server up this week, so everyone was just sort of doing their own thing. I'm not really sure why, but all the yelling and such of the people playing really stressed me out today. And I was also trying to play in the Nether, which seems to have become really laggy again (though it might just be because I've only been to the Nether on this world a couple of times, so the chunks haven't been loaded many times yet), so that didn't help, either. In the end, I shut off my laptop about fifteen minutes before the class was over and waited outside until it was time to head to the next class.

Scrabble and Bananagrams went alright, though we spent most of it playing The Game of Life instead; we'd had several different games last week, and my sister and I were playing game of life, which everyone said they wanted to play--when it was five minutes 'til the end of class. So this week we got it out again so everyone could play. We had a few disagreements about the rules and such, but we did get a ways into it before the end of class. I think my sister won in the end.

After that, we went out to the car to eat lunch during the 15-minute break we get between classes. I was still feeling stressed, though it did lessen a bit when I got some food into my body. Even so, I didn't really want to go to the Online Learning class today.
I like it because it does give me some time to get onto Khan Academy, which I often forget to make time for while I'm at home, but it is sort of hard because me and my brother are the only ones that actually do Khan Academy, or anything to that extent. Most kids are playing games or watching videos. It can be a bit distracting at times, especially when I'm using a computer next to them. But anyway, something else came up, so my Mom drove me and my brother home (he didn't want to do it today, either).

So yeah, the rest of the day was just typical stuff; I got onto a knitting community site that I visit frequently and read some stories and such on there, my sisters found "Dolphin Tale" on TV, so we watched that, and now I'm here typing a blog post and trying to stay on top of the laundry. I'll probably watch some Minecraft LP's in a bit; Lorgon111, an LPer that I enjoy watching, made several uploads last night and earlier today, so I'll probably watch his videos while trying to get some more knitting done for the entrepreneur fair that's in two weeks. If the project is mindless enough that I don't have to constantly keep my eyes on it, I like to knit while watching videos.

Well, that's all for today. I hope y'all have had a good day, and remember: "Do not meddle in the affairs of knitters, for they carry pointy things and know how to use them."
Old November 2, 2012, 08:08:39 PM
Landorus

11/2/2012

Well, today was just the typical slow Friday; I spent most of the day knitting a cabled lip balm cozy for the entrepreneur fair and watching Minecraft LPs. The one I'm currently watching was filmed when the player, lorgon111, was playing on Halloween, so he's laughing at the fact that the mobs are wearing Pumpkins instead of helmets. I kinda wish I'd had a minute to check it out myself; between Homeschool stuff and going to my Grandparents' for trick-or-treating, I didn't get the chance. Oh well, maybe next year.
Oh, and on a somewhat unrelated note to other Minecraft players, does anyone else find the new spider walking sound to be kinda.. disturbing, I guess? That's not quite the word I want, but it's close. The wet zombie footsteps don't really bother me, nor the "shopping cart" skeleton rattling, but the spiders' scuttling.. *shudders a bit* It makes my skin crawl.

Anyway, tomorrow my siblings and I are going to head to my Grandparents' to sleep over for the weekend. I'm not sure if we'll be doing anything all that exciting, but I should hopefully get more knitting done while I'm out there. I hope I do, anyway, since the entrepreneur fair is two weeks from today.

Well, that's it from me today. I hope everyone had a good day today, and remember, "Life is like a coin; you may spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once!"
Old November 3, 2012, 08:00:48 PM
Landorus

11/3/2012

Today is the first day of our weekend-long sleepover at my Grandparents'. We didn't do a whole lot as of yet; my brother brought our Munchkin Cthulhu game with him, so we got it set up and tried to teach Grandma how to play. She won. They started a different card game a little later, but I didn't join in that one.

So... yeah, I guess that's it for today. Sorry today's update's so short. x3 I hope everyone's had a good day, and remember, "Without 'art', the Earth would just be 'Eh'."
Old November 4, 2012, 03:01:10 PM
Landorus

11/4/2012

Well, getting to sleep last night didn't go as well as I'd hoped it would; we were ready for bed by about 10:30, but my youngest sister refused to calm down enough to try and go to sleep, and E2 said he couldn't get to sleep because both my sisters were watching TV in the next room (they'd gotten permission). By the time we finally all got to sleep, it was probably about 1:00 AM. And then I THOUGHT I'd gotten up by about 8:30, but I forgot that the clock in there wasn't set for DST, so I'd actually gotten up at 7:30. So.. yeah, I'm tired. =w=

Well anyway, Grandpa made breakfast for us before he and E3 went to church, and then me, Grandma, and my other two siblings started to work on cleaning up the craft room.. by the time the other two got back from church, we'd gotten quite a bit of it done. It's not completely done, but it's a whole lot better than it was this morning (though now the couch is buried in empty cardboard boxes). See, Grandma? You can get things done when you put your mind to it.
As for the rest of the day, I think we're going to go see Wreck-it Ralph at 6:30 tonight; me and my sibling are pretty excited. Maybe I can get an hour or so of sleep before we head out.

Well, I guess that's it for today. I hope everyone has/had a good day today, and remember; "If 'Plan A' didn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters. Stay cool. "
Old November 5, 2012, 06:45:40 PM
Landorus

11/5/2012

Well, as I said on the last post, we went to see Wreck-it Ralph last night. All I have to say is..

Best. Animated. Movie. EVAR! (I say "Animated" because The Avengers is too awesome of a movie to be kicked off my favorite movie spot(s). x3)

Yeah, it was really great, as was the little short story thing before it. Though, we did kinda make my Dad nervous because both my Grandparents had left their phones at home and I couldn't answer mine since he called me in the middle of the movie (I had mine on Vibrate, so I knew when he was calling). But I called him as soon as I got the chance, so everything was alright.

So anyway, today wasn't too eventful; we got much better sleep last night than the night before, so that was good. I helped Grandpa make waffles for breakfast this morning, and we just kinda sat around doing our own thing until my Parents got there. We talked for a bit while Mom ran an antivirus check on our Grandparents' computer, then we packed up and went home. Dad got Little Caesar's Pizza for dinner, which is good as always, and I'm trying to keep on top of the laundry again, of course. x3

Well, that's it for today. I hope y'all have had a great day, and remember: "A simple 'hi' could lead to a million different things."
Old November 7, 2012, 08:36:38 PM
Landorus

11/7/2012

Oh wow, I didn't update yesterday, did I? Well, not a whole lot happened aside from my Teen Library Council meeting, though not much happened there worth noting.

Though, not much happened today, either; I caught the cold my siblings have, so unfortunately I didn't feel up to going to homeschool stuff today. Oh well, we all have our sick days. So I spent today watching Minecraft videos and trying to get some knitting done for the entrepreneur fair, which I found out is a week from today, not a week from Friday like I'd thought. I've really gotta get knitting now, plus I need more business cards and such made up, but I need my Mom's help for that, so I probably won't be able to get to it before the weekend.

Oh, something else I've done today is listening to the latest (and the last) Artemis Fowl book by Eoin Colfur. I've forgotten how much I love this series; I may have to go back and listen to them over again when I'm done with this one. I'll have some time, since I've already listened to the book we need to read for my Teen book group, BookTRON (which stands for "Teens Read Outrageously Now"), which was Fever Crumb by Philip Reeve, also a good book.

Well, that's it from me today. I hope y'all had a good day today, and remember to Stay back, human; you don't know what you're dealing with.
Old November 9, 2012, 08:11:39 PM
Landorus

11/9/2012

Yeah, I didn't update yesterday either. I would've, but literally nothing happened. x3

As for today, we went to the Thriftway over here for their annual holiday sample evening; It's sort of become a tradition for us to go to that each year. They had more samples that year than usual. The highlights for me will probably be the Umpqua 'Pumpkin Pie Ala Mode' ice cream, the one that had three different kinds of cupcakes (I chose a Pumpkin one, which was really good), the Eggnog one (I mean, really, it isn't the holidays until you have Eggnog), and one with Apple Cider, which the guy there had mixed with whole apples and spices right there at the table and served warm; there were sheets of paper with the recipe for the cider at that table. You can bet I grabbed one.

After that, we went to Sonic for dinner; me and all my siblings got the popcorn chicken, though I was the only one who got fries instead of tots. The chicken was good, though I kinda wished I'd had ketchup to go with them.

Well, that's it from me tonight. I hope everyone's had a good day today, and remember; "An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail."

Last edited by SpikyEaredPichu96; November 9, 2012 at 08:27:54 PM. Reason: It's Pumpkin PIE Ala mode. Brain, why don't you catch these things before the post is made? =w=
Old November 12, 2012, 05:21:17 PM
Landorus

11/12/2012

Yup, no updates over the weekend. I didn't think two days of knitting, Minecraft, and Youtube videos about Minecraft would be interesting, and I couldn't think of anything else to talk about, so.. yeah.

As for today, not too much more happened; I found the yellow yarn I use for the Joltik pattern earlier, so I'm trying to see if I can knit another one up before Wednesday. I'm feeling pretty confident as of right now; I've got half the pieces knit up already, and they go pretty quickly.

Anyway, I thought I had my BookTRON meeting today, so I had Dad take me to the library.. unfortunately, I didn't think to double-check the date until AFTER I got there, so it was only after Dad had left that I realized the meeting's next Monday. I tried calling him, but it was Mom that picked up; Dad had left his phone at home. So after mentally calling myself an idiot for not double-checking before we left, I went inside to look at the knitting books upstairs. I did check out a few; one with knitting comics and "essays", which are just various knitting short stories; one with patterns for knitted cakes (.. What? I like making knitted food, and I'd seen this one before so I wanted to check it out); one about people who do knitting as more of an art (I flipped through it while I was there; there are some pretty amazing things in that book); and one that I remember seeing in Powell's Books while my Grammy was visiting and I thought looked interesting, but I didn't get much of a chance to look through.

So yeah, I checked out the books and went to the lobby outside to wait for my Dad, but when I checked my phone, it said he'd already texted me. I hate it when my phone doesn't let me know when I get a text when it's on vibrate. Anyway, I went outside and found the car, and after I'd gotten in, my Dad (in his usual fashion) takes my hand, looks me in the eye, and says, "I'm sorry. I was hoping the brain damage would skip a generation.", at which point he started to chuckle and I rolled my eyes. Fathers. =w=

Well, I guess I should get back to my knitting now. I hope y'all have had a great day, and remember, "You can't start a new chapter in your life if you keep re-reading the last one."
Old November 13, 2012, 07:05:47 PM
Landorus

11/13/2012

Not much happened today; I've just been knitting as much as I can today for the fair tomorrow. I did finish the Joltik earlier this evening, and I'm currently trying to get another little pouch done, though it's not a disaster if I can't. I'm also listening to a cover of "Jar of Hearts" by Christina Perri on repeat. It's weird how that works, isn't it; you find one song that you like listening to, even if it's one you've heard several times before, and you can just listen to it over and over again all night without getting tired of it. But anyway, these guys do a lot of great cover songs and have even done a few originals, too; they're some of my favorites.

Well yeah, short update today is short. I hope y'all are having a good evening, and remember, "If you never chase your dreams, you'll never catch them."
Old November 15, 2012, 08:30:08 PM
Landorus

11/14-15/2012

Aw, I didn't update yesterday. I swear I was planning to. x3 Ah well, let's start with that then;

This is the last week of our homeschool "classes" until the Winter term starts, which is January 7th, so we were sort of saying our goodbyes until next term. There was also the entrepreneur fair after our classes, so I'd been busy that morning trying to make sure I had the tags on everything and such. As I was getting settled in during my "Sing you Heart Out" class, though, I forgot to make sure that I'd gotten the canned food for the "payment", which the people running the fair will donate later. So I stepped outside the door and called my Mom asking if she'd gotten some; she hadn't, but she said she'd take care of it. I was glad; I'd kinda started to panic there. x3

Anyway, after Singing was "Card craze"; the woman there that brings the Munchkin game sets also brought homemade Rice Crispie treats with her; she's so sweet~ I had to leave the Munchkin game early, though, to set up for the fair.

The fair went well as well; I set up at one of the empty tables, putting a tablecloth on it and setting my things up on it. It went from 2:30-4:00, but there were still a few people around after 4, so most of us waited another 15 minutes or so before packing up. I sold a little more than half of what I had (I didn't sell most of the littler stuff I'd made, which surprised me; I'd kinda thought those would sell faster than the rest of it), and I made $80.

Today was the last of our classes for the term, as we have nothing on Friday. Me, E2, and E3 went to Minecraft and played around; it was a full room today, and everyone was doing their own thing. I decided not to update my game to 1.4.4 so I could do a little playing on the VR server. About the only thing I wish is that we had a rule that dictates we should try and use mostly-inside voices; I understand that it's hard to keep quiet when you get excited, but do we really need to be that loud? It just stresses me out, especially because I can't really relate to what's going on.

After Miencraft was our Scrabble and Bananagrams class, which has pretty much turned into "Scrabble, Bananagrams, and other word games" class. x3 This week, we played a game called "Probe", which is almost like a combination of Hangman and Go Fish; You spell out a word face-down on your board for others to guess, and you can add blank cards to either end of the word to make it look like it's longer than it really is. Then on your turn, you draw from a different deck to see if you do anything special on this turn, such as Doubling (or Quintupling) the score on the first guess, if you get it right (there's numbers on the little boards which say how many points a card is), or adding 15 points to your score right off the bat. Then you ask someone if their word has a certain letter in it, and if you're right, they flip one of the letters over (you only have to reveal one, even if you have multiples of that letter in your word), but if you guess wrong, play continues to the next person. It was really fun for our first time. We decided not to do Khan Academy today, since no one was up to doing the 2:30 classes today.

As for the rest of the day, nothing much happened; we got Dominoes pizza for lunch (Ham and Bacon, anyone? ), and I've been knitting again. Time to get Christmas presents done!

Well, that's it from me tonight. I hope everyone's had a great day today, and remember; "People are like leaves: at some point in our lives, we all change."
Old November 16, 2012, 08:52:31 PM
Landorus

11/16/2012

Well, today was the usually-slow Friday, not much happened today other than LOTS of knitting. I'm knitting up a bunny plush for my cousin for Christmas, and I started it.. either yesterday morning or Wednesday evening, and I already have the main piece done, which is most of the toy; all I have to knit now is the two back feet and the ears. I was honestly expecting it to take longer than that. Maybe I can actually get something done for all my siblings, cousins, and adult relatives at this rate.

Also, I've been listening to a lot of Pandora music as of late, mainly Christmas stuff. The Christmas music won't come on the local radio station until next Thursday evening/Friday, and I'm impatient. So, I was listening to one of the Holiday stations I have up, and one song comes up that I remember from the Trans-Siberian Orchestra Holiday DVD (though the album Pandora showed me was different), and thinking about Trans-Siberian Orchestra reminded me of their version of Carol of the Bells, so I decided to pull it up. Oooh man, I got goosebumps for a second. Probably one of THE best versions of that song. EVER.

Well yeah, that's about it for tonight. x3 I hope everyone has a good Weekend, and remember, "Embrace every day; you never know when it will be your last."
Old November 18, 2012, 07:38:23 PM
Landorus

11/18/2012

Well, today was the usual visiting my Grandparents'. We had lunch, which was spaghetti, meatballs, and extra-cheesy Little Caesar's pizza (which I guess is cheaper than garlic bread); it was all really good. Then a little later we had apple coffee cake, which was AMAZING. My Grandpa makes some of THE best stuff on the planet. Just sayin'.

We also went through more of the stuff from the craft room; Grandma found some of her Mom's double-pointed knitting needles, and some of the tiniest crochet hooks I've ever seen that were mailed to my Great-great-great Grandma. It was pretty cool, looking through them; Dad even let me take them home, but he told me (again) that I really have to work on cleaning out my room and getting all the toys cleaned out and stuff.

Well, after that, I just kinda sat around and listened to the grown-ups' conversation. It's mostly stuff they wouldn't talk about with the other kids around (though I almost wonder if my siblings would even understand), but then again, I'm not really a kid anymore. And anyway, I'm so quiet they I pretty much blend into the background; my Dad seemed kinda surprised when I spoke up to ask him about the topic they were on currently. x3
Not much happened after that; we went home in kind of a roundabout way. I dozed off in the car for a while. I've been awfully tired these last couple of days.. maybe I should head to bed early tonight.

Well, that's it from me tonight. I hope y'all are having a great weekend, and remember, "Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect; It just means that you've decided to look past the imperfections."
Old November 19, 2012, 07:38:48 PM
Landorus

11/19/2012

I had my Book group at the library today (and yes, I made sure to triple-check the date before we left home. =w= ); we got settled down, for the most part, talked about the book (which is Fever Crumb by Philip Reeve), then did a few puzzles; the first two were just little brain teasers, but then we had a Sudoku puzzle that pretty much ate up the rest of our time. We did have a little time to work on making people to hang up in the Young Adult room upstairs, though I don't know if anyone actually finished theirs before time was up. After that, pretty much everyone filed out, except for me who stuck around to help finish cleaning up as I usually do.
My Dad came to pick me up just as we were finishing cleaning up, and after I made a quick stop to pick up the manga books for me and my brother for our Otaku Teens meeting next month, we went to WinCo to get Potato wedges and Chicken Strips for dinner, then went home. Oh, and you know what E3, the older of my two younger sisters, said to me when I came in? "How'd it go? Did it actually happen this time?" I've got a feeling they're never gonna let it go. =w=

Well, that's all this evening. I hope everyone's had a good day today, and remember, "Be careful with words; once spoken, they can only be forgiven, not forgotten."
Old November 24, 2012, 11:24:23 AM
Landorus

11/24/2012

Weeeeell I haven't done a good job keeping this updated, have I? I guess I should do it now while I'm thinking about it; I have a feeling today's just gonna be one of those stay-at-home-and-knit days.

Thanksgiving went well as usual; I got up a little earlier than I had been (though 10:15 still isn't much of an accomplishment if you ask me. x3), and I heard the parade on the TV downstairs and went down to look; I'd almost forgotten about it. Somehow. Anyway, I came down around the time some of the floats were on their way down; I don't remember the one I saw first, but it was one or two behind the Sesame Street one. And of course I saw the Pikachu balloon.. but did anyone else think it was weird that the ears were pulled down like that? I wonder if something happened when they were inflating it or something. Oh well.
Oh, and my Dad cooked up the Pillsbury Cinnamon rolls with the Hershey's chocolate frosting for breakfast. They're not quite as good as the ones from Cinnabon, but they're still pretty good. =w=

After a little while, we loaded up in the car to head to my Grandparents' for lunch after a quick stop at WinCo to get a veggie tray. I almost wonder how the business was fairing that day; we got an E. Coli warning Wednesday, and even though it was lifted Thanksgiving morning, I'm sure a lot of stores that have the bakeries and the deli were having trouble from that. Well, at least it didn't last longer than 24 hours.

Anyway, we got to my Grandparents', and hugged my Grandparents and cousins and Uncle. I'm so glad that my cousins could make it; we don't get to see them as often as we used to, with work and school among other things. It just makes it that much more special when we do see them.
Well, we ate lunch, which was all the good Turkey and Potatoes and Cranberry sauce (sorry stuffing lovers, I'm not a fan). My Grandpa makes the best cooking. Then we sat around and talked for a little while--that is, the adults sat around and talked, and I sat and listened. My brother and a couple of cousins were playing games in the next room, from Minecraft Tekkit to Zelda: Spirit Tracks multiplayer (my cousins had to borrow our DSes to play), while my sisters and other cousin were likely playing in the back room.
After a while, Grandpa also sliced the pies; we had both Pumpkin and Peach. I had a little slice of each (he cut them up pretty small, which I think everyone liked, especially me and my Dad), then I went back a little later to get more peach. Yeah yeah, Pumpkin=Thanksgiving and all that, I know; Peach just sounded good that day. Well at ~8:00, we all gave our goodbye hugs and went home.

Oh the Friday after that, the first part of the day went pretty much like any other day, then at about 6:00 we left to head to the mall for a bit. We made a brief stop at McDonalds since their new Peppermint Hot Chocolates and Mochas were only $1 if you got the small. The hot chocolates were pretty good once they cooled down enough to drink; my brother left his in the car because he still thought it was too hot.
Our first stop in the mall was JCPenny's because Mom wanted to look at the dishes she found online. We didn't get any, so I guess they weren't what she was looking for. After that, we pretty much just started looking around at the Christmas decorations. We did stop by one stall that had lots of pretty hair adornments, and when the clerk there saw us, she put some little flower clips in her hair to show them off; the way she did it, it almost looked like her hair was braided, with the clips put in at the twists. The clerk made a good choice with the clips; it was just SO E3. After experimenting with a couple more clips, one of which was magnetic, she took them out and we went on our way, though I have a feeling Mom and Dad will be going back sometime; my Sister really liked them, and she doesn't have the longest wish list in the world (she always says "I have everything I want", and she's probably one of the few kids [or maybe even people at all] who seriously mean it).

We also stopped by the big Nintendo stall for a bit to try out the WiiU, which is pretty darn cool. One of the games my brother was playing where he was using the tablet-controller, he was playing a ghost while the other kids were playing Miis with flashlights that tried to hit him with their light beams, and at the same time E2 was trying not to get hit by the beams, he was trying to get them from behind to, I guess, scare them into immobility. I stepped inside the stall to try the 3DS XL, and I have to say, it's MUCH more comfortable than my Brother's 3DS is. E4 also got to play Just Dance 4 at one of the different spots with the WiiU (they have several all around the booth), and she was rockin'. After that, we continued walking around, stopping to get some pretzel bits because we were getting hungry. Hot, buttery pretzel bread... can't beat it. =w=

We only made one more real stop after that; Build-a-bear workshop. Me and every one of my siblings have made at least one in the past (I have nine), and my Sisters both like playing with them and such, so we were looking around at the clothes and such to add to their wishlists. Oh, and some of the sounds you can add to the bears when you add them are popular songs, and we were kinda close to it when it played the preview for "Dynamite", and I got my brother's attention and kinda did the dance from Just Dance 3, which made him and my Mom laugh a little. When we went outside again, we found our Dad sitting at a table with a couple of drinks (the one we got with the pretzel bites didn't last long between us 6), and since that place's cookies were buy 2 get 1 free, he also got some chocolate chip cookies. They were really thick and gooey and SOOOO good.
After that, we decided to go home. We sliced up some apple and cheese and watched Kiki's Delivery Service before bed. We were all tired, but we'd all had a good day.

Well, that's about it. I hope y'all have had a great Thanksgiving Weekend, and remember, "Be yourself, because an original is worth more than a copy."
Old November 29, 2012, 05:50:32 PM
Landorus

11/29/2012

Well, if you guys want to know what I've been up to, this is pretty much it:

Knitting; Sleeping; Watching Youtube; Minecraft; Plants vs. Zombies; Cleaning out my room (somewhat).

Yup, that's it.

Well, I guess I should explain a bit on a few of these things so this post isn't extremely short, huh?

Alright, Youtube; I've been watching this gaming group called Team Hypercube, which I found out about because I follow one of the group's original channel, which is mainly consisted of her vlogs. One of the games they just finished doing a playthrough of is a card game called "Sopio" (for any of you that know Latin, the name has nothing whatsoever to do with what the name means). The idea is pretty straightforward; when you get to 1000 points, you win. However, there are both positive and negative point cards, so your opponents can bring your points down, and there are also cards with very interesting and complicated effects that can turn the game around veeery quickly. They got to play with the creator of the game (who is a friend of one of the Team Hypercube members), and it was interesting both during the "Quickplay" and the Review to hear about how the game came to be and such. I don't know if that's something that everyone would find interesting, but it's always been cool to me to listen to the creator of something explain their creation; it gives it a little more depth that way.

Moving on, I haven't been playing much Minecraft as of late; I guess I'm just really wanting to play on the VR server, but I can't since it hasn't been updated yet. Oh well, I started playing Plants Vs. Zombies instead.. man, I forgot how addicting that game can be. =w= I've already finished the main Adventure levels, and I'm currently trying to get more in-game money so I can buy all the Upgrade plants from Crazy Dave and try and get a good streak on Survival Endless. I found a guide one time that brought me through nearly fifty levels.. I wonder how well I can try to re-create that field from memory.

Well, that's about it from me tonight. I hope y'all have had a good week, and remember, "It's better to let go of something than to hold on to nothing."
Old December 4, 2012, 07:04:10 PM
Landorus

12/4/2012

Spiky, Y U NO UPDATE BETTER!?!?!? Oh well, there's not that much to report over the weekend; we did go to my Grandparents' for a little bit on Saturday, but aside from the fact that the chocolate cake my Grandpa made (That had cherries in it) was phenomenal, there's not much to report from that.

Anyway, today was my library's Teen Library Council meeting; we talked a bit about the volunteer work stuff, took a group picture, then played our ice-breaker game, which this meeting was White Elephant. For those of you who have never heard of the game, you have everyone bring a pre-wrapped gift; it's usually something kinda weird that's either something you already have that you don't use anymore, or something less than the preset budget limit (for us, it was $5). Then everyone puts them on a table or somewhere like that (we put them under the "mitten tree" that was in the room), and you draw numbers to see what order you go in; the first person picks one thing from the present pile and unwraps it for everyone to see, then the second person can either choose to take a new present and unwrap it, or steal a present from the first person, to which the new person go gets a new present instead. Play then continues until all the presents have been taken, everyone given the option to either unwrap a new present, or to steal one from someone else (it's probably a good idea to set a limit to how many times one object can be stolen).
I had drawn the last number in our group, which was good since I got to see what everyone else unwrapped beforehand, and I had stolen a pink and plaid hedgehog toy that I thought was really cute (inb4everyonethatreadsthisthinksitsuglyasheck), and it was almost time for someone to pick the last present/steal something else, when one girl who was late came in... the moment she stepped in, I thought "She's gonna take my hedgehog, isn't she?". And, naturally, she did. Oh well, I stole a little cow plush from someone else (which my Dad thinks looks like a dog toy or something, but my Mom and sister thought it was cute, at least), and the girl who took the hedgehog let me take a picture on my phone. Maybe I can make a knitted version... I'm already trying to work it out in my head. =w= After that, we talked a little bit about event planning and such (which is the reason for TLC), then cleaned up and left for the evening.

Well, that's about it for this evening. I hope everyone's had a great weekend and start to the week, and "May your longest list this Christmas be the one that counts your blessings".
Old December 8, 2012, 06:00:26 PM
Landorus

12/8/2012

Well, these last couple of days have been.. tiring. =w= Yesterday, we decided to go to Troutdale with my Dad (who was helping to manage the Frontier van) to watch the tree lighting and look around. Unfortunately, the drive took significantly longer than we thought it was going to; I don't know what's been up lately, but the traffic's just been awful. It'd be too early at this point to be because of Christmas shopping, wouldn't it?
Well anyway, when we got there, we went into the general store (like, an old-fashioned kind of general store. I love stores like that.), got some peppermint hot chocolate and some baked goods to snack on, then we looked around at the lights on the shops before heading back to the Square to listen to the School Choir singing a few songs before they turned on the tree. It wasn't a huge tree, but it was pretty. After that, we looked around a bit more before heading back to the car and hang around for a little bit until Dad was told he could go.
After that, we went to Wendy's to get dinner on the way to my Grandparents' (I don't think the traffic was quite as bad at that point, but it still wasn't great); my parents both had somewhere they needed to be fairly early this morning that we couldn't go to, so we were staying the night. Anyway, we all talked for a little while, then Mom and Dad left, and we were so tired at that point that we all just went to bed.

As far as Sleepovers went, we didn't do too badly; got to sleep at about 11:00, woke up at about ~8:20. Grandpa made chocolate chip pancakes for us for breakfast, then the ladies all got ready for a tea party that one of my Grandmas friends had planned, while the guys just got ready to go hang out elsewhere.
The tea party went alright; she had some good tea and foods, and we did talk for a little while, though the younger two girls got a little bored. I had brought my knitting (which the other ladies liked), so I was alright, but after about an hour and a half we called Grandpa to come and pick us up. Unfortunately, they hadn't eaten yet, and had just pulled into Hometown Buffet when we called them. E2 was pretty upset about it; he'd gotten pretty excited about it (he doesn't remember ever eating there, though I swear I remember him being there the one time I'd gone). We went by Popeye's chicken to get them food instead, which my brother liked, thankfully.
After that, we just kinda sat around and did our own thing until Grandma got the phone call from Dad saying to get everything ready so we could head for home. They got here, we got everything packed up while the adults talked for a bit, then we loaded up and went home. And yes, the traffic was still fairly bad.

Welp, that's it from me tonight. I hope y'all are having a good weekend, and remember, "Sweet flowers take time, weeds make haste."
By the way, I don't make up any of the quotes I post here; I just find them here or there, usually on the internet. If you know who any of these quotes belong to, let me know so I can credit them; I can't ever find the name where I look.
Old December 15, 2012, 05:46:51 PM
Landorus

12/15/2012

Holy mooshroom, has it really been a week since the last update? Wow. Well, most of the week has been knitting as usual, but there were a few things I can go into detail about (at least things most everyone's going to understand x3).

Well, I guess to start, my birthday was Wednesday, so we did the usual birthday lunch (though it was closer to dinner since Dad had to go into his office for a little bit first); I decided to go to Sweet Tomatoes this year as it sounded good, and we haven't been there in quite a while. The food was great as usual, and we did spend a bit of time sitting and talking. I also opened up my presents; I got the knitting needle set I'd asked for, the new knitting pattern book from an author/designer/whatever you call it that I really love the patterns from, a sock yarn sampler (which is just 15-20 grams of 20 or so different colors of yarn, usually from a few different companies), and the new Celtic Woman Christmas CD.
After we were finished eating, we went out and drove around for a bit to look at Christmas lights. We went down to one of the neighborhoods my Dad used to deliver papers for, so I did recognize some of the houses.
I also got a card from my Grandparents in Wyoming a couple of days later; they sent me $50. Thanks Grammy and Grandpa! (though I doubt they'll ever read this x3)

Today, we went out to my Grandparents' house to have cake and stuff with them. We usually do it with my Uncle and cousins as well, but we haven't heard from them in a while, so I guess they must've had stuff going on. Ah well. Anyway, we picked up the cake from Coldstone Creamery (though Dad almost forgot about it); it was a red velvet cake with dark chocolate-peppermint ice cream, which was covered with fudge Ganache. It was sooo good. Anyway, I'm getting a bit ahead of myself; we picked up the cake and went to my Grandparents', and we ate lunch (I'm sure I've said it before, but my Grandpa makes some of THE best stuff) and talked for a while. I pretty much just sat and listened, and did some more knitting. We also showed my Grandma my Dad's iPod touch (we mainly played fruit ninja). We left at a little after 5:00, since my Grandparents both have to go into work fairly early tomorrow.

I've also been playing a fair amount of Minecraft this week; I found a few surface dungeons in the desert (two zombie and a skeleton, though one of the zombie ones was right next to the desert temple I found when I first started this world.. I don't know how on earth I missed it), made a mob farm from one of the zombie ones (it's nothing fancy, just water pushing them into a hole that drops them down about 20 blocks; just enough to kill them with a stone sword, but not far enough that they die if they jump right before they get to the hole. It's my first trap/farm, though, so I'm proud of it), and found a stronghold. I haven't activated the End Portal yet (all twelve eyes are missing.. bad luck), but I have explored it pretty well; it has two libraries, which will be great with the Enchanted Books coming up in the 1.5 update.

Well, that's it from me tonight. I hope everyone's had a great week (I'll try to update a little more this next week), and remember, "Hard times always reveal true friends."
Old December 28, 2012, 06:23:25 PM
Landorus

12/28/2012

So, yeah, remember when I said I was gonna try to post here a little more often? I guess it didn't happen. x3 Well, I was fairly busy with knitting, then it was Christmas, and then there was packing to visit relatives in Wyoming, and we've been on the road since yesterday morning... And though we made record time (we got here 5:30 Mountain time ), I'm pretty tired. =w= As far as the traveling went, though, it was pretty good; the weather was great, we were more prepared than we were last year, and we stopped for the night this time, which turned out SO much better than trying to one-shot it again.. But yeah. This is just a quick entry to sort of revive this thing; I'm going to try not to be on the computer as much as I usually am for the ten days that we're out here, but I will try and keep this at least somewhat updated... Maybe I'll post what we did for Christmas if we have a slow day.

So yeah, that's all for tonight. I hope y'all have a great weekend, and remember, "Outside of a book, a dog is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it's too hard to read."
Old December 28, 2012, 06:41:34 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikyEaredPichu96 View Post
we stopped for the night this time, which turned out SO much better than trying to one-shot it again..
I can attest from my DC trip that one-shotting a long journey can definitely be tiresome. x3
Old December 28, 2012, 07:34:20 PM
Landorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post
I can attest from my DC trip that one-shotting a long journey can definitely be tiresome. x3
Yeah, and when we did it last year, it was especially bad because it was Wintertime; it gets dark at 4:30, and even when you're out the door before 8:00 in the morning, that still leaves a fair amount of the trip in front of you, not to mention we didn't bring any movies or anything, and then the weather got bad so it took even longer than we'd first thought it would be... We were all begging our parents not to ever do that again. =w= I know they did it again this last Summer, but I had gone earlier with my Grandma, so I didn't know how it went. I'd imagine it didn't go quite so bad because it was Summertime.
Old January 5, 2013, 08:33:05 PM
Landorus

1/5/2013

My word, where has the week+ gone? It almost seems like we got here only yesterday, and we're leaving for home on Monday... Oh well, all good things must come to an end. It has been a BLAST visiting family out here; we played a lot of games together, mainly Apples to Apples and Bananagrams, watched some movies, and just hung around and had fun. A few of the highlights are:

New Year's Eve: We all got together to have dinner (Which is amazing every night), and exchange Christmas presents with one another. This part of the family does it a little differently than some; they draw names out of hats to see who gets presents for which family member. The whole family is usually involved in choosing the gifts, especially when it's the younger kids giving the gifts, but they're always put in one name. From one of my two older cousins, I got a $25 Amazon Gift Card, two music CD's (Britt Nicole's "Gold". and Casting Crowns's "Casting Crowns"), and a 12" Spiky-eared Pichu plushie. <3
Some of the things the other family members got was pretty cool, too; My youngest sister got a Pikachu shirt and a Yoshi shirt (both Pink) and a soft blue hooded winter vest; one of my Uncles got a t-shirt with an electric guitar that actually plays (He said he thought of wearing it to his parents' place with a sweater over it and playing "Air guitar". XD Whether he'd actually do it or not, I don't know.)... I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting to mention, but I can't remember them right this second. =w=
After that, we played lots of Apples to Apples, and we had such a great time, we almost missed midnight, and didn't get to sleep until 2:00 in the morning. x3

The Hobbit: My cousin went to the theater the other night to watch The Hobbit, because she thought it would stop playing soon, and she invited me to go along with her. I never got into the book, but I did see the other movies, so I knew the universe and such. Without spoiling anything, in my opinion the characters weren't as memorable as the ones in the Trilogy, but the story was great.

And then just spending time with family was wonderful. I'm really gonna miss them when we leave for home...

Well, I suppose that's it for tonight. I hope y'all have had a great week, and remember, "You are who you are when no one is looking."
Old February 6, 2013, 06:52:38 PM
Landorus

2/6/2013

Hoooooo boy, it's been a while since the last update. Well, I'm just gonna say that not much notable has happened in the month in between. I've been wanting to do something other than just a what-happened-with-me-today entry, but I haven't had very many ideas. And yet, I get ideas for vlogs all the time... I guess either I have to try and incorporate those ideas into text, or convince my parents to let me post video blogs in my entries here should I ever do those. Something tells me the former option is going to be a whole heck of a lot easier.

So yeah, this is just a quick entry to say that I haven't given up on this thing yet. I guess I should talk about something... Oh! I did my "Spotlight" performance during my singing class today, which is basically just a Solo performance where the singer does the song -or, more often, half the song- and the teachers give opinions on the performance as well as advice on how to improve. The song I did was "On My Way" by Phil Collins (On of the songs from Disney's "Brother Bear"), which is almost perfectly in my range. The teachers said that I did a good job taking the advice they'd given me during past Spotlight performances, and gave me a scenario to be a part of to help me take it a step further; they asked three people to volunteer to be my "Bears" and to lead me around the room a little to help me to really get a feel for what the song is about and to get a better feel of my body as I was singing.
And that is actually very important; contrary to what a lot of people (even other singers) sometimes think, a singers instrument is NOT just their voice; their body is also a key part of it. Think about it, it's much more entertaining to watch/listen to someone sing when they're comfortable and confident with their entire being while still keeping within their presence, than when someone's just standing there as if everything from the neck down didn't exist, right? The body helps to portray the emotions of the song and the person singing it, and it really adds to the performance. And I've noticed myself, when I'm more comfortable within my own body, I feel like I catch on to the spirit of the song better and can really give more to the audience.
And it did make a difference; even when I did stop following my "Bears" and returned to the front of the room, I definitely felt a difference, and I could see that the others in the class could feel it, too. It was a lot of fun.

Well, that's it for this update. I'll definitely try to update it more frequently from here on out. x3 I hope y'all are having a good week, and remember, "Nothing is Impossible; The word itself says 'Im Possible'!"
(And yes, the lack of an apostrophe is intentional.)
Old March 7, 2013, 04:55:55 PM
Landorus

3/7/2013

So, remember when I said I was going to keep this thing updated? Yeeah, I guess that didn't happen. Well, let's try and pick things back up, shall we?

Last Saturday, the place we go to for our Homeschool activities had their kick-off to their online auction, the main event of which is a Talent Show. Most of the acts were singers; one girl, a friend of mine, did "Taylor the Latte Boy" and played it out wonderfully, and there was also one that did "Turning Tables" while playing it on the Piano, who was also amazing. There was also a "Play writing 101" act (Which was awesome and very funny), a String Quartet (Whose members were around eight or ten years old; they were spectacular), a couple of videos, and a trio of "Bollywood dancers" who were very fun to watch. I did a solo cover of "On My Way" by Phil Collins, as well as singing with the "Sing Your Heart Out" choir, which sang "Home" by Philip Phillips.
The Choir performance, which was the finale of the show, went extremely well in my opinion, especially as during the first "Ooh" and "Oh" parts of the song we were passing large boxes down the line and stacking them up near the front of the stage to form a large picture with them; a lot could have gone wrong with that particular part, but it was done pretty much flawlessly. We didn't stay very long after that; my parents talked around a little bit, and we went home. I was so tired that night. =w=

Things have been proceeding pretty much normally since then; the normal library and Homeschool stuff, and playing computer games during the evenings. The game I've been into most recently is called "Don't Starve"; as the name suggests, the main goal of the game is to live for as long as you can without Starving. There are also monsters that you have to watch out for; Spiders, Hounds, living Tree giants, that sort of thing. The graphics style is great, and the idea is pretty fun. The longest I've stayed alive is about 41 days; I might've been able to go for longer, but I wasn't paying attention in a swamp area and got ambushed by this tentacle thing. I didn't have much health left, either, so it only took one hit... Oh well, maybe next time.

Well, I guess that's it for now. Hopefully I can keep this thing updated more often.. I hope y'all are having a good time, and remember, "Never be afraid to fall apart because it is an opportunity to rebuild yourself the way you wish you had been all along." ~Rae Smith
Old April 20, 2013, 08:37:23 PM
Landorus

4/20/2013

Hoo boy... About a month and a half since my last update... I don't really have an excuse, honestly, I just haven't been updating. I guess I don't have much in the way of interesting stuff to talk about anyway, but.. yeah. Well, I would really like to try and keep on top of this more, so I'm gonna try. Starting.. now!

So, to start, my brother and I have gotten my Dad started on some of the Manga that we've read on our past Otaku Teen meetings at the library. The two we gave him to start on is Death Note (which was the last book until the meetings start up again in the Fall) and Black Cat. Personally, I really enjoyed Death Note, and am thinking about looking to see if I can put a Hold the next book in the series so I can continue it. For those who don't know, Death Note is about a top-grade High School student named Light, who finds a notebook called a Death Note that was dropped by a Shinigami, or "Death God", and starts using it to kill off criminals all over the world. The police soon get involved, and they bring out their best man to figure out what's going on and track down the killer. I found it really interesting, the way the two try to outsmart each other, both without letting themselves be seen by the other, and how Light experiments to figure out how far the Death Note's powers can be stretched.
My Dad said that he was starting to see the appeal of Manga, though he said he wasn't sure that my brother should be reading some of them (He's talking about Black Cat, which admittedly is a bit rough). E2 seems to be fine about it, though; the only one he's really expressed any discomfort with (That I can remember, anyway) is that part in the Haruhi Suzumiya one where they're blackmailing the computer group to give them one of their computers. I'm not going to say what happened, but I can't blame him.

Moving on, I don't believe I've mentioned this before, but my Mom has gotten me really interested in Crash Course, which is made by John Green and Hank Green and teaches things such as World History, Chemistry, Literature, that sort of thing. We've been watching World History together, but I have already finished both World History and Literature on my own. I do admit, however, that it does sink in more when you watch it the second time through. The first World History video is a bit lower-quality, for lack of a better term, than the others, so if you decide to check it out, I hope you'll at least wait to start that second episode before you make any judgement.

Also, something else I haven't mentioned, I'm hopefully going to LeakyCon this year!!! LeakyCon is the Harry Potter convention (though they have also welcomed other fandoms such as Doctor Who). They're coming to the town that is very close to where I live, and I was SOOO excited to hear about it. I'm working to earn enough money from my parents, who have already bought the ticket for me and told me that they'll pay for half of it. My parents are the best. :3 (Though of course they still would be even if they hadn't done that)

One of the groups that is coming to LeakyCon is the Cast and Crew from the Lizzie Bennet Diaries, and I decided to check that out so I would know about it when the event came around (And because it sounded interesting). It is a modern adaption of the book Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, that is told through "vlogs". I have never read the book, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. I thought it was a very entertaining series, and the actors are very good; if I hadn't known it was the adaption of a book, I might've believed it to be real.

Well, I guess that's it for today. I will do my best to work on keeping this updated more frequently. I hope everyone has been doing well this past month and a half, and remember, "Be happy for no reason, like a child. If you are happy for a reason, you're in trouble, because that reason can be taken from you." ~Deepak Chopra
Old April 21, 2013, 12:41:14 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikyEaredPichu96 View Post
E2 seems to be fine about it, though; the only one he's really expressed any discomfort with (That I can remember, anyway) is that part in the Haruhi Suzumiya one where they're blackmailing the computer group to give them one of their computers. I'm not going to say what happened, but I can't blame him.
I know that kind of stuff happens all the time in anime/manga, but considering that and the rest of the stuff that Haruhi does to Mikuru, I'm kinda surprised you're letting him read it as well. ._.
Old April 21, 2013, 01:35:25 PM
Landorus

Quote:
I know that kind of stuff happens all the time in anime/manga, but considering that and the rest of the stuff that Haruhi does to Mikuru, I'm kinda surprised you're letting him read it as well. ._.
Well, it's not like I really have a say in what he reads. He knows that if he really feels uncomfortable about something in the book, he doesn't have to read it.
Old June 11, 2013, 03:14:57 PM
Landorus

6/11/2013

Well... I'm just going to skip saying that I'm going to try and work on updating more often because it doesn't appear to be a vow I am able to keep. x3

Anyway... Leakycon is in 16 days!! I'm so excited I am literally bouncing up and down in my chair as I'm typing this. They posted the schedule yesterday, and I think they're right; I'll have to contact the Ministry of Magic to see if I can get a Time Turner for the weekend (Though I have a feeling that they've reserved them all for others at this point). I'll be going with my brother, and hopefully I'll be able to tell you all about the events we go to. I'll try to get some pictures as well, though I can't promise those, especially because my parents won't want me to post any that have us in the picture.

LeakyCon aside, I've also signed up for my library's Summer Reading again this year and have already checked out several books to read, most notably The Fault in Our Stars and An Abundance of Katherines, both by John Green. I might try and write up a review for them and the other books I got; we'll have to see.

Well I think that's it for today, just trying to keep this thing alive, if only barely. I hope ye all have a good Summer, and remember, "Haters don't really hate you, they hate themselves because you're a reflection of what they wish to be." ~Unknown
Old August 10, 2013, 04:23:08 PM
Landorus

8/10/2013

So yeah... I never did make that post about LeakyCon did I? Well, if anyone's interested... my Brother and I walked the 5K that was at the start and I got blisters that just got significantly worse as the conference continued (I had one in the center of each foot that was about 2 inches across by the time it was over. Yeah. Not fun.), but aside from that we both had a great time. We got names for books that others were reading (that I still have to look up), we attended the Nerdfighter meetup, sat and listened at some of the Lit Track events such as "How to Internet", "What's it like to be a writer?", and one about how authors and their publishers settle on covers for their books. We also listened at the Lizzie Bennet Diaries Extravaganza, watched people playing Muggle Quidditch, and helped to break the World Record for the most people wearing false mustaches. We didn't attend the rock concerts because by the time they came around (which was pretty late in the evening), we were tired and worn out, and that wasn't really our thing anyway. Long story short, we had a great time, and I'm hoping against hope that we'll be able to go to the one next year, which is in Orlando, Florida.

And yeah, aside from that, things have been pretty normal. The only not-normal thing is that I've been busy this past week with Driver's Ed, and I'll continue to be busy with it until the end of the month. As far as it goes it's been alright; one of the things I've noticed is that a lot of it, once you know and understand it, seems to be common sense. There is more that isn't, of course, but that's why I'm taking the classes.

Well, I guess that's it for today. I hope everyone has had a good summer, and remember, "Be careful how you're talking to yourself, because you are listening" ~unknown
Old September 12, 2013, 05:03:44 PM
Landorus

9/12/2013

Sorry I didn't update any sooner, between Driver's Ed and doing spreadsheets for my Mom, I didn't have a lot of time last month to update. The rest of the time.. I haven't had a lot of motivation to write, I guess. Well anyway, let's get on with it.

Last Friday was "Back to No School" day at Oak's Park, a little amusement park close to town. It's "Back to No School" because since school has started for pretty much everybody at this point, those who can attend are either too young/old for school or are Homeschoolers. It's much cheaper that day to get a ride bracelet too; the Deluxe bracelets (Which is a pass to all the rides and one turn on the bumper cars) are normally about $25 if I remember correctly, but on this occasion they're $11.
This year they also had a bunch of Homeschool-related booths in this tented-off area, as well as booths for things like Archery and Fencing, the latter of which E2 really enjoyed. It was a nice change from the ordinary this year; sometimes they switch up the rides between years and/or add a new one, but this year the only thing that seemed to have changed ride-wise was that they took out the "Lewis & Clark Expedition" Ride, which was just riding on a track in a cart meant to look like an old-fashioned minecart and looking at cartoon-style scenes of Lewis and Clark at certain points in their journey. It did look a bit worse for wear last year, and it's not exactly thrilling. A sign mentioned that there would be a new ride to replace it next year, so that'll be interesting to see.
But yeah, it's more or less the same thing each year, so you kinda know what to expect. I think the highlight of the trip this year for me when E2 and I went to the "Rock 'N Roll" ride, and as we were climbing up to get on (There wasn't a line when we got there) the ride operator that was holding the gate open saw my shirt and said "Pizza John! I love Pizza John!" I told him that I had gotten it at LeakyCon, and he high-fived me as I passed him. Then as we got off the ride, he held the gate open for us and told me "Hey, don't forget to be awesome!" and I made the Nerdfighter sign and said "Don't forget to be awesome!" Right back at him. That one little encounter made my entire day.

Moving on, Tuesday my brother and I went to the library for the Teen Library Council Social, which is the first TLC "meeting", except it's open to all. This year it was an Ice Cream social, and there were some pretty bizarre flavors; Mango Chili Coconut Milk, PB&J, Thai tea, Chai tea, Blackberry Sorbet, Honey Lavender with Lemon Cookie, Honey Cinnamon Custard, stuff like that, as well as three kinds of Mochi. We were all told to try as many flavors as we wished, and then vote for our favorite, the weirdest, the grossest, and the most surprisingly delicious. The only one I remember that won was the Chai Tea as the grossest by a landslide; it had what seemed to be little tea leaves mixed in with the Ice Cream, and the taste wasn't that great anyway. My personal favorite was the Honey Cinnamon, though the Blackberry Sorbet was a very close second. After that we talked about TLC and played a few games. My brother and I also signed up for the book groups before we left, and I got to drive home. It went pretty well, though at one point we were driving behind the Frontier Van that my Dad used to manage (at Farmers' Markets and such) and he said he was a little nervous about that. It would have been pretty ironic to end up driving into the back of his own van. X3

Well, I think that's about it for today. If anyone has any ideas of things for me to write blog posts about then let me know; I do enjoy writing these, but I don't have a lot of ideas aside from the occasional how-my-day-went thing, and most of the time there's not much going on for me to write about.

... Wait, did I just ask for comments? Hah, this is why I should be making Youtube videos; I'm good at commentary when I want to be, and I'm good at asking for comments towards the end.

Anyway, I hope y'all have had a good end-of-summer, and remember, "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." ~Unknown
Old September 12, 2013, 05:07:38 PM
Kyurem

No Spiky, you're unfit for being a Youtuber; you forgot to ask for likes, faves, and subscriptions as well.
Old September 12, 2013, 05:18:28 PM
Landorus

Quote:
No Spiky, you're unfit for being a Youtuber; you forgot to ask for likes, faves, and subscriptions as well.
Oh yeah, there's that isn't there?
Old January 21, 2014, 08:04:52 PM
Landorus

01/20/2014

I haven't posted since Septermber!? Holy Miltank.. Well, no time like the present to get going again, right?

October and November weren't extremely eventful (At least not so much so that I can remember anything significant), but December was extremely busy: Dad had told us back in July that we were planning on going to Disneyland during the first week of December, since the week after Thanksgiving was usually pretty dead (Though "dead" in Disneyland was still more people than I was really used to seeing all in one place).
I'd been meaning to write up a post about it for a while now, and I might still do that sometime soon if anyone's interested, but long story short we had a great vacation filled with Firework Shows, fun rides and cream cheese-filled pretzels. I did get a few blisters over those five days, though with all the blister band-aids that we'd been putting on my feet before even going to the park, it wasn't as bad as we'd been expecting; none in the middle of my feet like it'd been at LeakyCon (Though my little toes both got some pretty bad ones). All the same, we rented a wheelchair the last two days, which was also a help for my Dad since he could lean on it as we walked.

After coming back from that trip, we were home for about a week and a half, during that time was my birthday--We went to Red Robin for lunch, which was good as always. After that, though, we were on the road again, this time to visit my Mom's family in Wyoming for Christmas. We actually didn't get to driving until about 3pm, which is really late for us, so we only got up to Spokane, WA the first day, but after that we were rockin' and rollin'. I think we only made two or three pit stops that second day.
We had fun up with the family; games of Bananagrams, Pictionary and Picwits were played, Hallmark movies were watched, and laughs were had. We had "our" Christmas (me, my siblings, and my parents) on the 25th; my "Big" preset this year was an iPod 5th gen, which I'd been looking at for a while now because, although I love my tiny Sansa Mp3 and have used it a lot, I have lost it more than once because of how small it is. I also got a Professor Layton game, Boss Monster (a card game), headphones with a microphone, and two Pokemon B&W Plasma Blast TCG packs (one of which had a JIRACHI EX!), as well as other stocking stuff that I can't quite remember right now.
We also did gift exchange with the rest of the family a few days later, though we had different rules this time around; we each drew two names from a hat, and then we each had to get them something that was about ten dollars a person. I got two of my younger cousins (One's ten, the other five); for the older one (who, like many others in my family, likes Animal Crossing) I made a little pouch that looks like a Bell bag and put a lot of Chocolate coins inside, and I also gave him a little Wild World-themed plush toy that made sounds when you pushed a little button inside it (I believe the character was Goldie the dog). For the younger one, I got him these transformer-themed figures which made a bigger figure when they were all put together. They both seemed pretty excited about their presents. :3

Things have been pretty quiet upon coming home; Homeschool classes have started again, which have us all busy, and I had my Library's Teen book group yesterday, which was fun. I've also started trying to catch up on Brian's Minecraft Exploration and Tactics videos, though two episodes in and I'm already wanting to boot up my own game again and start a new world as well. Fun times.
It's also kinda hit me that I'm going to be 18 next year... It's kinda funny how you read books as a kid where the characters are in their mid-late teens and you think "Wow, 16 years old? They sound so grown up." (The later Harry Potter books were the ones I really remember thinking that), then re-reading the book or even just thinking about it and realizing that "Hey, now I'm that old." x3
I guess I'm gonna have to start figuring out what I'm going to do once I hit that point... Dad mentioned to me a couple of days ago that I may want to talk about if I want to get my GED or something like that, since a lot of places might not understand when I tell them that I had "A full homeschooled education"... and I should really start thinking about whether or not I want to go to college... eep.

Well, all this talk of the future is making me nervous, so I think Imma gonna boot up Minecraft and not think about that anymore. X3 Thanks for reading, hope you have a good day, and remember,
"Maybe our favorite quotations say more about us than the stories and people we're quoting" -John Green
Old February 24, 2014, 04:34:29 PM
Landorus

2/24/2014

So, yeah. It's been a while. I've been meaning to make a post for a while now, despite not many noteworthy things happening as of late. I was originally going to make a post containing my favorite Let It Go covers, but then... this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/lynn...b_4829648.html

Now, I firmly believe everyone has a right to their own opinion, and if this was just her saying "I read the Harry Potter books (or her new series that I don't remember the name to) and I just don't see why this got so hyped up, they're not that great", then I would've just walked away and not have given it another thought. But that's not what it's saying. This novelist thinks that J.K. Rowling should step down because now that she's writing more books (Not to mention in the Adult genre), people are scrambling to read them and not paying as much attention to other new books that are coming out... like her own, for instance. Yeah, if she really was trying not to come off as jealous, she failed. Miserably.

You can tell from the very beginning that, despite the this-isn't-about-jealousy bit, that it really is nothing but sour grapes. She starts off by dismissing the Harry Potter books as a simple children's series, despite not having even read them. Well, maybe if you had read them, then you'd see why it was such a hit for both younger and older readers alike. I've read children's books, YA books, and even the odd Adult book, and I can tell you that these books deal with themes that even a lot of "Adult" books don't like to get into too deeply, maybe because a lot of adults don't really understand it. I think this sums it up just about perfectly:

There's a bit of language at the very end, sorry 'bout that    

And then she goes on to complain about how Jo's book, The Casual Vacancy, has pretty much monopolized the rest of the Adult Crime/Mystery genre (which she just so happens to be writing in as well) with the way it "Crowded out everything else". That certainly isn't entirely J.K.'s fault; bookstores are going to put out what they think will sell well. I'm sure if they thought her books would sell that they would've found somewhere else to put them up. I feel like that bit especially was a little unjust.

Oh, and one more thing: J.K.'s books becoming "Overnight bestsellers" didn't happen without a lot of hard work. She was rejected by TWELVE different publishers with Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone before she got the green light, and even then she'd been told to get a day job because they never thought she'd be able to make money writing children's books. And they were ALL proven wrong. Her books received award after award, and they did something that was considered incredible: it got kids excited about reading, something which doesn't seem to have happened to such a degree since. Maybe this so-called "relatively ambitious" writer should focus more on writing her own books, rather than try to demean the well-earned success of another author. It seems to me that all she's managed to do is lose a lot of respect for herself.

*Sigh* Well, that's the end of that little rant. Anyway, I will be trying to update this thing more often (She says for the millionth time. x3). Thanks for reading, I hope you have a good day, and remember: "Seeing someone read a book you love is seeing a book recommend a person." - Unknown
Old February 24, 2014, 05:19:27 PM
Giratina

...Wait, Harry Potter was a kid's series? Does the term have a different meaning in Britain? I'm just asking because I found it way too intense to be considered that. My mom loves it more than I do; she has her very own set of Harry Potter books and refuses to let me touch them, so she bought a paperback set for me.

Success and fame doesn't just happen overnight. So what if JK Rowling is "it" because of the Harry Potter books? Success comes from a combination of talent and situation, and twice as much perseverance. You have to let it shine at the right place at the right time to get noticed, and keep a steady stream of that going. The Beatles got rejected by every major label in London before GENEROUSLY being accepted to audition for EMI. Making it is a difficult thing to do, and it requires a little luck if you're not born to superstars or extremely rich parents.

I think this girl's problem would either be jealousy or being a hipster. The latter is a bit too offensive, so I'd just say jealousy. Some people think that just because they're famous that means they instantly turn into monopolizing monsters who want to do nothing but eat cash. So, they can no longer do what they enjoy? Because JK Rowling is rich she just should do nothing more with her life? Rich people get bored like working class people, and she isn't the dumb overly-lavish rich person and so she does the sensible thing: what she loves doing, and she's good at it. Leaving the shelves to the other authors? I would've accepted "She should help promote some other writers," but the words she used were full of irritation. Or jealousy. I think it's jealousy.

One thing I'd love to point out though: I love how bookstores in London withheld the new Harry Potter books until summer so kids wouldn't cut school. That's revolutionary.
Old March 4, 2014, 08:20:12 PM
Landorus

3/04/2014

Wait, another blog post only a week after the last one!? Well, I guess that's what happens when you actually have some things to talk about. So.. let's get right to it!

This last weekend, the city that I live in held their 5th annual Yarn Crawl. What's a Yarn Crawl you ask? Well, it's an organized event for fiber enthusiasts (such as knitters, crocheters, spinners and weavers) to explore the many yarn shops in and around the city. What makes this different than other such Crawls is that, instead of being organized by a club or guild of knitters/crocheters/etc, it is planned in collaboration by the yarn shops themselves. This was my first year doing it, and it was a blast. There were eighteen different yarn stores to visit, and we made it to all of them during three out of the four days. We printed out these "passports" to be stamped at each store, and when we got them all stamped, we turned them in at the last store we were at to enter into a prize drawing, which none of us won (Although I did win a door prize at one store; a really pretty scarf kit ). The other thing that the stores do is that when you make a purchase at the store, you get a free pattern from that store. We didn't buy something at every store, though; Dad decided that he would buy the eBook for the knit patterns on Ravelry, so we wouldn't feel pressured to buy something JUST for the pattern.
But one of the things I loved about it most is that we got to see more of the city than we usually do. We were on the East side, the West side, Downtown, all over the place. We got mini cupcakes, visited a toy/hobby store with lots of video game-themed stuff, such as Minecraft, Animal Crossing, Portal, and Pokemon. He has more Pokemon plushies and figurines than I've seen anywhere before. I think he gets some stuff from Japan. And one cool thing about this area is that one minute you can be driving through this really wooded area with super tall trees, maybe a house tucked in here or there, and then, bam, you're in the middle of the city.
I actually kept my haul fairly small, compared to what I've seen of other peoples' hauls; I got 4 skeins of Sock Yarn, a Sock Yarn Sampler (which is a small bit of about ten different sock yarns; just enough to see how they knit up), a fabric Needle Case that I'd been looking at, and a yarn bowl (That's not a picture of mine, it's from the crafter's website. The head is more blue than the picture shows). There were several other skeins of yarn that I was looking at, but I had a hard time deciding, so I just decided to wait and think about it. Great self-control, right?

Also, Team Hypercube has just finished their Dokapon Kingdom playthrough, which they've been playing since they first started their channel a year and a half ago. There were several close calls that nearly ended the game, and while I won't say who won, it was SUPER close. And... I'm actually kinda sad now. This was my favorite of their series, and it's over now. I hope they decide to do Season 2, even if it isn't for another month or two. x3 In any case, if you're looking for a Playthrough channel to watch, I highly recommend them, whether it's for Dokapon Kingdom, Jetpack Unicorn, or one of their other video game/card game playthroughs.

Welp, that's it for tonight. I hope y'all have a great week, and remember, "Getting over a painful experience is much like crossing the monkey bars. You have to let go at some point in order to move forward." - C.S. Lewis

Last edited by SpikyEaredPichu96; March 4, 2014 at 08:43:32 PM.
Old June 17, 2014, 04:50:54 PM
Landorus

6/17/2014

Oh, my goodness, it's dusty in here. Just a sec, let me clean this out a bit.

*Cue the AC:NL Savannah carpet/wallpaper change scene*

There, much better.

So yeah, hi there. Haven't posted here in a while, have I? It's not like there hasn't been things going on once in a while; heck, I was at an unschooling conference a few weeks ago. I guess it just boils down to me not having the time/energy to write something up, and then I get distracted by other things and forget about it. But yeah, as Summer goes on I'm going to try to write things here a little more.

So, Summer. Homeschool stuff is out for the term, and so I have a little more free time on my hands... which I've mostly been spending playing either Terraria or Skyrim, watching Venturiantale videos and knitting on one of four projects I currently have on the needles right now, including a belated birthday present for my brother. Why can't I just focus on finishing one thing before starting another? x3
I've also signed up for my library's Teen Summer Reading, and while I do have one or two books that I'm planning to read, I would like some suggestions if anyone has some. Speaking of my local library, they have some pretty neat stuff going on this Summer for Teens, but I'm not sure what I'll be able to go to since I think my family and I are going to be pretty busy this Summer. They actually have a Teen Game Fest this Friday, but that also happens to be my Grandparents' Wedding Anniversary, so I can't go to that one. Oh well. x3

And... yeah, that's about it for now. Just kinda dusting this thing off. I hope you all have had a good day, and remember: "Maybe there's something you're afraid to say, or someone you're afraid to love, or somewhere you're afraid to go. It's gonna hurt. It's gonna hurt because it matters." -John Green
Old March 9, 2015, 08:33:17 PM
Landorus

03/09/2015

Well, it's been nearly a year since I've said anything in here. However, while I plan to make a proper blog post sometime this week, possibly tomorrow, today I just wanted to say one thing.

New Gravity Falls episode spoilers    
STANLEY PINES CONFIRMED SUCKERS!!!!      
Old April 19, 2015, 07:55:34 PM
Landorus

04/19/2015

Well, not surprisingly, I didn't post when I said I would, but I guess now is as good of a time as any. x3

... Well, no, part of the reason I'm doing this now is because I need to be working on the bookkeeping stuff for my Mom, but I can't seem to stay focused on it right now, so... yeah. Procrastination!

So... recent stuff. Last month was the Rose City Yarn Crawl (if you don't know what that is you can just scroll up a few posts and you should be able to find my explanation from last year ), and we had a blast. They only had 15 shops participating last year as opposed to the ~20 last year (a couple of stores went out of business, one moved to another state, and the others just decided not to be a part of it this year), so we were able to make better progress without stressing too much about making it to them all on time. I spent a lot more money than I did last year, but most of it was for certain patterns that I want to make, so I feel like it isn't as bad as if it'd all been impulse buys. I found that making a list really helps (although I admit that there were a few very vague items on that list, such as "pretty sock yarn for shawls, etc"; I felt like that way, while I was trying to stay focused on getting the things I needed for the projects I already had planned, I wouldn't be kicking myself for getting something on impulse. And really, if you've ever seen and/or held a skein of Three Irish Girls yarn before, I don't think you could blame me. )

Aside from that, things have been pretty much normal: homeschool activities have been going well; library events have been going well, though I haven't been going to as many as I used to since we're more or less on the other side of town now... Did I mention that we moved? I don't think I did. We moved; we've been living in the new house for several months now, but we're just finishing up sorting through our old stuff and moving it over; with work and stuff being as it is, we haven't had as much time and/or energy as we would've liked to get everything boxed up and moved out. That's going to be our main focus this week though.

Well, that's about it for now. I hope y'all have had a good week, and that this next week goes well for you too. :3