Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire > Gen VI Competitive Battling

Notices

Search this Thread
Old April 4, 2015, 10:16:41 PM
Volcarona

Default TPM's Teams

...and a story to boot!

(I've been contemplating whether or not to post this for a few months now, and just decided to throw it up.)

So, it appears I haven't posted in... 4 months to the day... and I haven't posted regularly in... oh my...

Well, what matters is I'm here now to share my competitive story, starting at VRGL 2.0.

After the first VRGL faded away, I knew I wanted to be a part of the new one coming up, and I knew I could be successful, since my original team actually held its own pretty well for being my first team.

VRGL 1.0 team (Gen 5)    

Ferrothorn @ Focus Sash
Brave
252 Atk/148 Sp Def/108 Def
Iron Barbs
-Spikes
-Stealth Rock
-Gyro Ball
-Payback

As the lead, Ferrothorn's first priority is to set up a Steath Rock. After that is done, he can either set up Spikes on top of that, or proceed to attack with a devastating Gyro Ball. With a nature that saps Speed, Gyro Ball's power will most likely fall between 100 and 150 against any foe. For anything that resists Steel, a 100-power Payback can be used as an alternative.

Bronzong @ Light Clay
Quiet
252 Sp Atk/128 Def/128 Sp Def
Heatproof
-Psychic
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Trick Room

Bronzong is mainly support in this case. Wielding a Light Clay, it can set up a dual-screen that lasts a whopping 7 turns. It can also use Trick Room to support the other members of my team and their low-Speed approach. If it ever comes down to a 1 on 1, Bronzong has Psychic to defend itself.

Metagross @ Wide Lens
Sassy
252 Atk/252 Sp Def/4 Def
Clear Body
-Meteor Mash
-Hammer Arm
-Zen Headbutt
-Magnet Rise

Metagross can be your worst nightmare here. With the aid of a Trick Room, it can move first and put a Magnet Rise up to stop Earthquake and/or Earth Power. Also, all 3 of it's moves pack a devastating punch. Meteor Mash, Zen Headbutt, and Hammer Arm have powers of 100, 80, and 100 respectively. Add STAB into the mix, and those go up to 150, 120, and 100 respectively. With a Wide Lens, they also become that much more potent. The accuracies of Meteor Mash (85%), Zen Headbutt (90%), and Hammer Arm (90%) all go up 10% with a Wide Lens equipped.

Empoleon @ Wave Incense
Modest
252 Def/252 Sp Atk/4 HP
Torrent
-Brine
-Flash Cannon
-Rain Dance
-Ice Beam

To finish off the Steel-types on my team, Empoleon is a Special attacker. the main strategy with him is to set up a Rain Dance. This does 2 things. It powers up his Brine attack, and it halves the damage done by Fire-types to the rest of the team for its duration. Flash Cannon gets STAB, making it a potent, 120-power/100 accuracy attack. In case of any lurking Grass-types, Empoleon also packs Ice Beam. As for Brine, it has damage that multiplies. Against a target with full health, it has 65 power. Add STAB, that goes up to 97.5 power. The Wave Incense adds 20% on top of that, bringing the power to 117. Along with a Rain Dance, the total base power becomes 175.5. If the opponent is at 50% health or lower, the base power becomes 351 after the multipliers.

Gallade @ Muscle Band
Brave
252 Atk/252 Def/4 HP
Steadfast
-Leaf Blade
-Psycho Cut
-Brick Break
-Trick Room

With the availability of Trick Room, Gallade can either overpower faster foes, or switch out to a slower teammate. With the use of a Muscle Band, the moves at Gallade's disposal become that much more devastating. With 2 moves that have a boosted critical hit ratio (Leaf Blade and Psycho Cut), you can expect some kind of crit hax to present at Gallade's arrival into battle. Even though both of the moves that Gallade gets STAB off of have a low power, they both bring something new to the table; Psycho Cut (105 with STAB) has a high crit ratio, and Brick Break (112.5 with STAB) can take out any Reflect/Light Screen the opponent uses.

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Brave
252 Atk/128 Def/128 Sp Def
Pressure
-Ice Punch
-Earthquake
-Pain Split
-Trick Room

Finally, Dusclops rounds off my gym team. Playing less to her own weaknesses, and more to the main weaknesses of the team, she packs a punch. With the Eviolite equipped, Dusclops' already amazing base Defenses of 135 each get 1.5x bonuses each, turning a defensive monster into an all-out tank. As if 190 base Defenses weren't enough, she can also Trick Room to get back to either Empoleon or Metagross for a sweep. Going back to my "playing to the main weaknesses of the team" statement, she has Ice Punch to deal with Ground-types, and Earthquake to deal with Fire-types.

I submitted my application with a new, more improved (probably over-gimmicky) team, and what do you know, I got accepted! I got to work raising my team when I remembered what I hated so much about the first team: the egg grinding and EV training. I didn't know all the little time-saving tricks as they transitioned into Gen 6, and it all made my head spin. Before I knew it, the deadline was on me and I had next to nothing done. I had to accept that I didn't have the time in the midst of high school to be able to complete the task of making this team, so I told Reun that I couldn't do it. The second team never saw the light of day, and in a way, never really got started.

VRGL Team 2.0 (Gen 6)    

Klefki @ Leftovers
Calm
Prankster
252 Def/252 SpD/4 HP

-Substitute
-Thunder Wave
-Spikes
-Toxic

Klefki is your standard lead with the added annoyance of having priority along with the possibility of it breaking into your house and/or car. As a lead, Klefki has the mission of wreaking havoc everywhere, while taking little to no damage itself. It does so through the use of +1 priority Spikes (for up to 3 layers), priority T-Wave, and priority Substitute to shield itself from damage. In an emergency, or in the case of a Ground/Electric type, Klefki can become an effective Toxic staller, just to add to the "fun" value it already carries.

Metagross @ Wide Lens
Adamant
Clear Body
252 Atk/252 SpD/4 HP

-Earthquake
-Meteor Mash
-Zen Headbutt
-Bullet Punch

It just isn't a Steel-type team without Metagross, now is it? This is a modified version of my original VRGL Metagross, to account for the Gen 6 Steel nerf. There really is no special gimmick going on with Metagross: it just punches and keeps on punching. The moveset focuses on power, with Bullet Punch added in for revenge killing potential. the Wide Lens improves the accuracy of Meteor Mash (85%) and Zen Headbutt (90%), making misses far less likely, and making Metagross more reliable as a whole.

M-Scizor @ Scizorite
Adamant
Technician
252 Atk/252 SpD/4 HP

-Bullet Punch
-X-Scissor
-Baton Pass
-Swords Dance

And now, we take a step into the stuff of nightmares. With Technician and STAB, M-Scizor gets a total of 90 power out of one Bullet Punch. This power on a priority move gets coupled with 150 base Attack and the possibility of a Swords Dance before launching the attack in the first place. Coupled with that is STAB X-Scissor (120 power), and Baton Pass, just in case we need to bring out...

Aegislash @ Muscle Band
Adamant
Stance Change
252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD

-King's Shield
-Iron Head
-Shadow Sneak
-Swords Dance

...yeah, that's gonna leave a mark. Aegislash kinda makes a moveset for itself, with King's Shield being vital in utilizing Stance Change. Swords Dance is both a way to raise Aegislash's Attack, and a way to keep it in Shield Forme for another turn to tank an attack. Iron Head is 120 power of pure death with a Swords Dance or two, and Shadow Sneak is 60 power of revenge kill in any situation. Simple, potent, deadly.

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Bold (or something, I don't remember)
Imposter
252 HP/assorted

-Transform

I actually used this in the last tournament, and it took out 3 Pokémon in one battle, where I lost 0-2. HP is the only thing that matters with Imposter, since the ability copies everything but the HP of the opposing Pokémon (including stat changes, which Transform can't do). The main draw of Imposter is this: You can use Imposter to become the opponent's mega evolution and thus have two on one team. The Choice Scarf means Ditto will almost always be faster than the Pokémon Imposter copied (barring a situation where the opposition also has a Scarf, then it's 50/50 who goes first). This means any sweeper, mega, etc. who has set up against my team can be copied and beaten using their own moves, and now I have their sweeper, all set up and tied up with a bow.

Vaporeon @ Damp Rock
Timid
Water Absorb
252 SpA/252 Spd/4 HP

-Rain Dance
-Ice Beam
-Surf
-Wish

So, my team maaaay be slightly weak to Fire. Only a little. How about a team player? Damp Rock and Rain Dance means 8 turns of virtually no Fire weakness. Vaporeon even has a couple of good special moves that the team lacks in Surf and Ice Beam. But the real threat this whole set carries, the coup de grace that wraps the whole team together, is Wish. Anyone facing this team gets to watch when Vaporeon uses Wish and passes it to any member that they may have spent a long time whittling down the health of. Aegislash can spend an eternity behind that shield, with 150 defenses. And now it just got healed to the tune of 50% of it's max health. Enjoy~

I decided at that point I was done with competitive battling, at least for the time being. If I didn't enjoy doing it, what was the point of making myself? The only reason I got into competitive battling in the first place was because of a realization one day looking at movesets, a realization of the potential a Pokemon could have with the right moves. I figured it would take a similar inspiration to spark the flame again.

8 months after leaving competitive battling, the Gen 3 remakes came out, I was amazed by what had happened to Hoenn. My most-played Pokemon game was Emerald, so coming back after so much time left me speechless. And the battler in me came out again. While I enjoyed the experience, the battler worked behind the scenes, making a team that was as quirky as my others but could still get the job done. That was the inspiration I needed, apparently. I returned to competitive battling after beating the Delta Episode, moving to NU, where that potential I saw in anything and everything could be exploited. I made a test team in a simulator, just to see if I could still make a team that could match others, even after all this time not battling. I went 3-0 in the first 3 battles.

NU team (Gen 6)    
Torkoal @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Flail
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume

Uxie @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Atk / 232 Def
Impish Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

Sneasel @ Eviolite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Ice Punch
- Swords Dance

Tangela @ Big Root
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Ancient Power
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Aqua Ring
- Confuse Ray
- Tailwind
- Surf

Probopass (M) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Thunder Wave
- Earth Power

But not every story has a happy ending. After those first 3 battles, I found that the original rush I experienced battling with my first team in 2012 and 2013 wasn't quite there anymore. It was replaced with a tiring, exhausting of the mind, that became prominent after I squeaked out a 1-0 victory in 40-turn stallfest. I wanted to like it, but the experience of battling was fighting back.

I turned back to my old mentality. If I don't like doing it, why am I forcing myself to do it? So I've stopped battling once again. In truth, I don't know if I ever really started again, or if I just came back one last time to make sure I knew it was over. As things currently stand...

-I do like making teams. Just thinking of the concepts that can be mashed together intrigues me, and I like to see what I can do.
-I do not like to assemble teams. It's tedious to me but required to get a legit team on a cartridge.
-I do not like to battle, which is weird to me, but employing a certain strategy over and over again just bores me now. The magic there's seemingly gone.

Will I ever come back again to competitive? Maybe, but at the moment I highly doubt it. Maybe an inspiration will come back again, something that changes my perspective and makes me want to do it again. However, at this time, I just want to think of ideas for teams, which was the first thing that threw me into competitive battling. As a deep thinking type of person, I'm content to leave ideas here and let them sit. Who knows, maybe someone will even use them, but that someone isn't me. Not now, anyway.

(I may post teams here in the future, check back occasionally!)
Old April 5, 2015, 08:10:52 AM
Volcarona

This is a really interesting thread with cool, and fun teams. I am sorry to here that you've lost your interest in competitive battling. I could provide you with some suggestions to help you potentially regain interest in battling, but if the love is truly lost then there's not much we can do! At least you will still be making cool teams!
Old April 8, 2015, 06:36:20 AM
Giratina

i remember you as a very tough gym leader to beat. but yeah, like you, i'm kinda losing some interest in competitive battling as well. also haven't posted as often as i've used to like you! maybe some day we will both be sparked in our interests of competitive battling again (:
Old April 9, 2015, 09:17:42 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOMxTRAINER View Post
i remember you as a very tough gym leader to beat. but yeah, like you, i'm kinda losing some interest in competitive battling as well. also haven't posted as often as i've used to like you! maybe some day we will both be sparked in our interests of competitive battling again (:
I think both of you should get back into it!
Old April 15, 2015, 04:22:39 AM
Regigigas

It's not your fault, honestly. It's just that the standard gameplay hasn't gotten a huge overhaul. SR, Rapid Spinner, Defogger, and everything is else a wall or some sort of set up swepper. Or priority, almost forgot. I hardly run either besides semi-walls. I try to make the best of the Pokemon by swaying away from set ups. Too standard.. If there was a more effective way of removing Pokemon who've set up outside of Roar/Whirlwind I think that standard play would be mitigated greatly.

Edit: Also more type balancing.

Last edited by Sub-zero; April 15, 2015 at 04:23:24 AM.