Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > The Media

Notices

Search this Thread
Old August 12, 2014, 01:21:58 PM
Administrator

Default Robin Williams hangs himself at 63

Okay, I really have to give this man his own thread here. If you haven't seen the news, read about it here. I dare you not to be upset while reading it. While I usually don't care about celebrity news, funny-man Williams may have affected a lot more of us than we may realize at first. He won a whopping 55 Oscars and was nominated for 67 more. He acted in dozens of movies and contributed otherwise to the creation of dozens more.

How many of these movies have you seen?
  • Mrs. Doubtfire
  • Hook
  • Aladdin
  • Good Morning, Vietnam
  • A.I., Artificial Intelligence
  • Jumanji
  • Happy Feet
  • Happy Feet Two
  • FernGully: The Last Rainforest
  • Robots
  • Man of the Year
  • Good Will Hunting
  • Insomnia
  • One Hour Photo
  • Bicentennial Man
  • Patch Adams
  • Flubber
  • Jack
  • RV
  • World's Greatest Dad
  • Toys
  • The Final Cut
  • Cadillac Man
  • Dead Poets Society
  • Night at the Museum
  • Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian
  • ...and a heck of a lot more
Of these, how many had an impact on your life? I'm pretty sure your answer is at least 1, unless you never watch movies.

The point is, Robin Williams was a great man who had many amazing (and even a few not-so-amazing) roles in nearly 100 films, and several generations of people will not forget him anytime soon.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; August 12, 2014 at 02:52:32 PM.
Old August 12, 2014, 02:41:57 PM
Giratina

Depression is a serious yet not uncommon affliction for many comedians and funny people in general. Hopefully this will bring more light to depression as a very REAL disorder and not just something "you can just get over."

I had to look through a list of movies Robin has been in. It was a whole lot more than I thought. I didn't even know he was Teddy Roosevelt in Night at the Museum. He and Amelia Earhart were my favorite characters. It's strange because I was just thinking about him and Zelda on Sunday... it really shocked me.

Just saying, you should add Dead Poets Society to your bulleted list.
Old August 12, 2014, 02:51:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
I had to look through a list of movies Robin has been in. It was a whole lot more than I thought. I didn't even know he was Teddy Roosevelt in Night at the Museum. He and Amelia Earhart were my favorite characters. It's strange because I was just thinking about him and Zelda on Sunday... it really shocked me.

Just saying, you should add Dead Poets Society to your bulleted list.
Exactly, there are way too many to list without cluttering up my post.
Old August 12, 2014, 03:29:59 PM
Keldeo

I honestly had no idea who the dude was until yesterday, but I think one of my friends put this to words way better than I ever could.

Quote:
Anyone can suffer through depression. Don't think that popular people can't get depressed cause they can. A lot people think. "He's so popular. He's so happy. He must have a great life." But stop and think.
If Robin Williams, a guy that changed many life's can suffer through depression and then killed himself, then it really true that popular people are truly free from depression?

PauseUnpause, a youtuber with 600K subs suffers from SAD.
SkyDoesMinecraft, a youtuber with 10M subs tried to kill himself once.

What I'm trying to say is that no one is immune to depression. The truth is no one is really immune to anything.

Just remember something. Please remember this.
A popular person is not a god, a lord, a king, or a powerful person. The truth is that they're a person like you and me. They have feelings. They cry. They get mad. They get confused. They get lost. They even fight there own demons.

You can be very shocked when you find out someone who you thought was happy, silly, and full of life, has depression. Trust me. It happens.

Never give up on life. It's a beautiful thing. It's a perfect gift.

Money is something you can always get back. You spead money, whatever you can always get it back. But time is not. Time is valuable. You can not get time back. You can get money back but not time. For every min that you're sad or mad. That's one min of not being happy and enjoying life.

If you were to die tomorrow. Would you be happy with what you have done in your life? Think about this. Ask yourself this. If not then change something.

Are you depressed? If so get help. You need to enjoy life. Don't waste it crying. Don't waste it cutting. Don't waste it beating yourself up.

Life is wonderful. You only have one life.
ONE LIFE.
That's it. If you waste that life you don't get another chance. Ever.

Always remember that people love you. I love you. I care for you. If you ever need to talk DM me. If you need someone to play games with DM me.

I love you all. <3

BreeZaps~
A 17 year old girl with autism.
Old August 12, 2014, 03:41:48 PM
Giratina

You didn't know about Robin Williams and his amazing daughter Zelda? Even if you didn't recognize him in his movies he and his daughter were blowing up all over the gaming community 3 years ago.

Last edited by TurtwigX; August 12, 2014 at 03:42:14 PM.
Old August 12, 2014, 05:30:19 PM
Volcarona

Saw this on the news not too long ago. It's pretty depressing, Mrs.Doubtfire was a personal classic I occasionally enjoy seeing. In terms of being a comedian, he's one of a kind. Rather then going for the purely obvious adult sex/racist jokes nowadays comedians so desperately try to get a laugh out of from the audience, his humor was something that could be enjoyable to both kids and adults. Worthy of being put on any comedy show.

R.I.P Robin Williams, you will be missed.

Last edited by Charizard98; August 12, 2014 at 05:31:30 PM.
Old August 12, 2014, 06:22:29 PM
Rayquaza

I have to post this

Old August 12, 2014, 06:46:24 PM
Giratina

I've seen many of his films, not gonna list every single one. But yeah I've seen things about his death all over, there were many trending hashtags on twitter and everything. It's so sad he's gone…

Did you know he was a wrestlers? I didn't until twitter and instagram pulled up pics of him in his singlet and headgear, makes it even sadder to me :\
Old August 12, 2014, 06:48:13 PM
Haxorus

Oh captain, my captain...
*loses his composure*
Old August 12, 2014, 06:48:55 PM
Zoroark

The feels are so heavy. Everyone will miss him.
Old August 12, 2014, 09:33:17 PM
Charizard

So sad to see him go. Never realized just how many films he was in until now.
Old August 13, 2014, 12:12:02 AM
Charizard

This made me so sad,I loved him in Jumanji so much... I wasn't really planning on going to go see the next night of the museum but I might now.. rip

Last edited by Music; August 13, 2014 at 12:12:51 AM.
Old August 13, 2014, 03:22:12 PM

It's said often that comedians are sometimes the most tortured of souls. His decision to take his own life is unfortunate, but at least we have dozens of movies and TV shows to fondly remember him by. He's gone, but never forgotten.
Old August 13, 2014, 11:08:46 PM

It's a sad day when anybody takes their own life, but when you're a great actor or comedian or some other person that can touch so many lives indirectly, it's a wave of sadness that sweeps across the nation. Hopefully this experience will also bring to light how bad depression and other mental illnesses are and what it can lead to without help. Rest in piece Mr. Robin Williams. You've touched my life, and your legacy will live on making people happy with what you've left us.
Old August 14, 2014, 10:14:28 AM
Giratina

This picture is awesome: