Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games > Minecraft

Notices

Search this Thread
Old September 9, 2012, 02:28:49 PM
Giratina

Default CTM Project

Currently I'm planning on making a CTM-style map in Minecraft. For those who don't know what "CTM" stands for, it means "Complete The Monument." The goal in a CTM map is to complete the monument given to you by collecting certain items and placing them in the proper area. A good example of this would be Vinyl Fantasy where you need to collect all 11 music discs and place them in the correct jukebox to beat the map or Uncharted Territory where you need to collect wool of every single color from certain areas and place them at the monument.

So far I plan on having players only use Bows for weapons and have no armor throughout the entire map, so they would have to carefully plan out each move and sneak their way through various areas full of hostile mobs. They would also be given pickaxes and other non-weapon tools to help them get through areas. I might add ores in various locations, but in small amounts so the players have to really think about when they should do with the ore (make sword, armor, etc.).

I don't have a lot of this project planned out though. Any help regarding area design (doesn't have to be detailed), the title, the monument, order of areas, mob placement, and pretty much anything else you can think of would be appreciated. Any help I use in the map will have credit given to the respective helpers in a credit section of the map. As I progress through the creation of the map, screenshots will be provided for what is complete.
Old September 9, 2012, 02:54:40 PM
Regigigas

What about a world based on biomes? With a piece of the monument in huge areas of biomes? An example would be a blue wool block in a snow biome, green in a jungle biome, red in a nether biome, etc.
Old September 9, 2012, 02:59:01 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
What about a world based on biomes? With a piece of the monument in huge areas of biomes? An example would be a blue wool block in a snow biome, green in a jungle biome, red in a nether biome, etc.
It's an interesting idea. It's just trying to make everything that might be a bit of an issue seeing as I'm making every bit of land on the map, so the more detailed an area is, the longer it will take. But that's to be expected of a large CTM map (just look at Vinyl Fantasy).
Old October 31, 2012, 05:26:58 PM
Giratina

*bump* I want to get started on this again. Before, when I wanted to start, I didn't really have a plan of what the world will be or how the player would traverse through the world, but now I have a basic idea of how the player will go through the world and what the world will consist of.

My ideas as of right now:
The World/Story
The story is about trainees(the players) in the Bow Master Academy and the trainees are given certain bows when they get to a certain area. The trainees must make it to a certain point in an area to obtain a block that will give them access to the next area until they make it to the final area and obtain the ultimate pickaxe. From there, they must go back to each area and find the gate to the depths of the area to obtain the wool and place it on the victory monument.

So the way the player(s) would traverse through the world would be they are given a bow with so many arrows, they have to make their way through mobs to get to a chest where they would be given a block (probably sand or gravel so they can't bridge their way to the next area) that they have to toss on a pressure plate that will build the bridge to the next area (sticky pistons pushing certain blocks to make a bridge). Seeing as the thrown block will eventually disappear, the pistons will have to be permanently activated when the pressure plate is tripped. The path will be linear for the first half, but once you get the pick to break the obsidian gates in each area, there will be an expanded area in which you will have to find the wool.

The Player
As mentioned above, the player (or players) will be given a bow with specific enchantments when they enter an area. The bow will generally be the recommended bow to use in an area (for example: one area might have a lot of pits, so a Punch bow would be recommended, then the next area might have Ghasts everywhere so an Infinity bow would be recommended). The players will not be given a pickaxe until the very end of the path, so players will not be able to craft swords or other picks until they get the ultimate pick at the end (as you could imagine, crafting picks out of stone would be pointless with the best pick possible). This also means you can't craft armor due to not being able to mine ores, so armor will only be given via chests you find. This will test the players ability to navigate areas in a skillful manner because the only major source of damage a player can cause to mobs is their bow and arrows and with scarce amounts of armor, they can't rush into an area recklessly.

So that's pretty much the basic idea of what I have planned for this project. The next thing that needs to be planned is area designs, the Bow Master Academy, and the Victory Monument. Any ideas on these areas or areas for players to navigate would be appreciated.

Last edited by Quadcentruo; October 31, 2012 at 05:27:46 PM.