Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > The Media

Notices

Search this Thread
Old December 21, 2009, 03:43:59 PM
Charizard

Default Favorite Hayao Miyazaki films

What are your favorite Hayao Miyazaki movies?
Old December 21, 2009, 08:03:53 PM
Keldeo

Default Re: Favorite Hayao Miyazaki films

Spirited away, I liked that movie alot~! =w=
Old December 21, 2009, 09:41:20 PM
Regigigas

All I've seen is Ponyo, and it was meh. I really should see more of his work though.
Old December 22, 2009, 01:03:27 PM
Shaymin

I really want to see Ponyo. I've seen Naussica, Totoro, Howl's Moving Castle, and Spirited Away. I like Naussica out of the four.
Old December 22, 2009, 02:29:18 PM
Giratina

...who?
Old December 23, 2009, 05:03:00 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredvcxz
...who?
You've never heard of Hayao Miyazaki?

Dude. He's like...a God of anime.

Let me pull up something from a really unreliable and inaccurate resource about him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Hayao Miyazaki (?? ?, Miyazaki Hayao?, born January 5, 1941) is a prominent Japanese filmmaker of many popular animated feature films. He is also a co-founder of Studio Ghibli, an animation studio and production company.

He remained largely unknown to the West, until Miramax released his 1997 Princess Mononoke. By that time, his films had already enjoyed both commercial and critical success in Japan and abroad. For instance, Princess Mononoke was the highest-grossing film in Japan until Titanic (1997) came out a few months later, and the first animated film to win Picture of the Year at the Japanese Academy Awards. His later film, Spirited Away, had that distinction as well, and was the first anime film to win an Academy Award, topping Titanic in the Japanese box office. Howl's Moving Castle was also nominated but did not receive the award.

Miyazaki's films often incorporate recurrent themes, such as humanity's relationship to nature and technology, and the difficulty of maintaining a pacifist ethic. Reflecting Miyazaki's feminism, the protagonists of his films are often strong, independent girls or young women; the villains, when present, are often morally ambiguous characters with redeeming qualities.

Miyazaki's films have generally been financially successful, and this success has invited comparisons with American animator Walt Disney. In 2006, Time Magazine voted Miyazaki one of the most influential Asians of the past 60 years.[1] In 2005, he was named one of the Time 100 Most Influential People.[2]

Anime directed by Miyazaki that have won the Animage Anime Grand Prix award have been Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind in 1984, Castle in the Sky in 1986, My Neighbor Totoro in 1988, and Kiki's Delivery Service in 1989.

He's even had a few specials dedicated to him when Cartoon Network was actually somewhat good, they held Months of Miyazaki and played his films.
Old December 23, 2009, 06:04:40 PM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny
Spirited away, I liked that movie alot~! =w=
I love spirtited away.
Old December 24, 2009, 05:26:59 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdhlite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredvcxz
...who?
You've never heard of Hayao Miyazaki?

Dude. He's like...a God of anime.

Let me pull up something from a really unreliable and inaccurate resource about him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Hayao Miyazaki (?? ?, Miyazaki Hayao?, born January 5, 1941) is a prominent Japanese filmmaker of many popular animated feature films. He is also a co-founder of Studio Ghibli, an animation studio and production company.

He remained largely unknown to the West, until Miramax released his 1997 Princess Mononoke. By that time, his films had already enjoyed both commercial and critical success in Japan and abroad. For instance, Princess Mononoke was the highest-grossing film in Japan until Titanic (1997) came out a few months later, and the first animated film to win Picture of the Year at the Japanese Academy Awards. His later film, Spirited Away, had that distinction as well, and was the first anime film to win an Academy Award, topping Titanic in the Japanese box office. Howl's Moving Castle was also nominated but did not receive the award.

Miyazaki's films often incorporate recurrent themes, such as humanity's relationship to nature and technology, and the difficulty of maintaining a pacifist ethic. Reflecting Miyazaki's feminism, the protagonists of his films are often strong, independent girls or young women; the villains, when present, are often morally ambiguous characters with redeeming qualities.

Miyazaki's films have generally been financially successful, and this success has invited comparisons with American animator Walt Disney. In 2006, Time Magazine voted Miyazaki one of the most influential Asians of the past 60 years.[1] In 2005, he was named one of the Time 100 Most Influential People.[2]

Anime directed by Miyazaki that have won the Animage Anime Grand Prix award have been Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind in 1984, Castle in the Sky in 1986, My Neighbor Totoro in 1988, and Kiki's Delivery Service in 1989.

He's even had a few specials dedicated to him when Cartoon Network was actually somewhat good, they held Months of Miyazaki and played his films.
TL;DR
Old December 31, 2009, 01:00:23 PM

Howl's Moving Castle was my fav.