FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old December 27, 2010, 09:22:31 AM
Zoroark

Default Could be an old one, but still an interesting question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia, on the 3DS
In February 2010, video gaming website Computer and Video Games (CVG) reported that a select "handful" of Japanese developers were in possession of software development kits (SDKs) for the Nintendo DS successor, with The Pokémon Company given special priority.
If we can assume this to be a true statement, why have we not heard anything of the Pokémon Company's title/s for the 3DS, yet? Are they developing a top-secret launch game? Are they developing lots of secret titles that they don't want to announce until near-completion? What are their motives, what are they trying and possibly succeeding in doing? Or is CVG just wrong? Pretty interesting, if you ask me.
Old December 27, 2010, 09:37:49 AM
Landorus

Well, I think this question is a bit confusing. Of course we haven't heard of the next pokemon titles, because B/W hasn't even been released in the US. Besides, Game Freak is still working on the B/W franchise, probably to make some extra stuffz and to release the third game of the generation (Like Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, etc.)

So, uh... no conspiracy here.
Old December 27, 2010, 09:40:45 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemoneinstein View Post
If we can assume this to be a true statement, why have we not heard anything of the Pokémon Company's title/s for the 3DS, yet? Are they developing a top-secret launch game? Are they developing lots of secret titles that they don't want to announce until near-completion? What are their motives, what are they trying and possibly succeeding in doing? Or is CVG just wrong? Pretty interesting, if you ask me.
I would imagine each and every game we hear about - including Diamond and Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver, and now Black and White were all in development 6-12 months before we even knew they were in the making. In fact, Diamond and Pearl, released in September 2006 in Japan, were confirmed to be in development before both the releases of LG/FR and Emerald.

With this in mind, they would need far more time than they were given to have made Black and White ready 3DS - plus, they wanted another game on the market for extra monez. Now, at this point, they are probably working on some secret game (all completely planned out) - the question is just what it will be. I would assume its either:
  • Pokémon Grey (/third game of B/W) or
  • The Remakes of Ruby and Sapphire (possibly the most likely in truth)

...So, any bets which will be first?
Old December 27, 2010, 09:49:19 AM
Zoroark

Well I would be surprised to find out that those games aren't in development. I was talking more along the lines of a Trozei, TCG, Ranger, MD, Colosseum, etc. game. A spinoff from the main franchise. I expect the R/S remakes to be made for 3DS, though I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Grey is. Nintendo has said the 3DS won't stop production of DS titles, so all of Gen V could potentially be on DS. I can't deny that it would be odd to have some of the Gen. V games on DS and some on 3DS, unless they have some sort of connectivity methods for trading and battling.

What I'd really like to see is a new Colosseum game, with Shadow Pokémon and everything. Those were great. But a Colosseum port would also be pretty awesome.
Old December 27, 2010, 10:35:24 AM
Giratina

I agree with FreezeWarp here; the new game(s) is probably still in the planning/early development phase, so it won't be revealed until enough promotion is done for Pokémon Black and White. I'm not sure what they are exactly hiding, but it can possibly be the third title following Black/White, the remakes of Ruby/Sapphire or just a spin-off title. As for the 3DS speculation, I don't think it would be a smart move for Game Freak/whoever is responsible for releasing the third title (at least) on the 3DS. Sure, it might make fans more inclined to buy the 3DS and therefore increase sales revenue of the new console, but the 3DS is definitely not going to be so cheap. It's probably safer for them to release it normally on the DS, or maybe make two versions: one for the DS and one for the 3DS. The possibilities are numerous actually, so it is very hard to predict what it might be from now.

Last edited by Shadow; December 27, 2010 at 10:36:52 AM.
Old December 27, 2010, 10:40:09 AM
Zoroark

My question remains what exactly this "special priority" implies, or means.