Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old April 8, 2011, 10:20:33 PM
Zoroark

Lightbulb Generation 5 Pokemon Console game discussion

Move me if I'm in the wrong place for this, etc., etc...

Hey guys. I've been thinking lately that, as with every new generation of handheld game, we'll be getting a relevant console game to go with it, so this is a discussion thread of what to expect/what you want in the next console game for the Wii/Wii sequel(?). In other words, I'm talking about PBR2 in so many words.

Now, as someone who has played through every single console Pokemon game (N64, Cube, and Wii), I obviously have my opinion about the ups and downs of the series of console games, but I genuinely believe they've gone down hill a bit with PBR (too much dependence on the DS games with only a few extras compared to every other console Poke game). The creator of Pokemon has also stated more or less his preference in handheld games right now (less focus on the consoles).

So now to the actual discussion. What do you think the sequel to PBR will have/improve on/do worst? Will it have mini-games and give us the ability to play our DS games on the big screen (we lost this after the Game Boy Box for 3rd gen)? Will we have a separate RPG for the Wii (not a large-scale one per-se but something like Orre)? Gym Leader Castle? Better wi-fi features? No wi-fi features? Battle Academy? Rentals like in PBR? Rentals like in Stadium? What?

Anything's game on this til they give us more details, but I'm more inclined they won't do things we've wanted for years (all regions in one game, battle all gym leaders, etc.). However, if you want it, post it.
Old April 8, 2011, 11:06:49 PM
Rayquaza

I would like to see PBR in a better version. It was criticized a lot, and I understand this criticism. It was a bit of a disappointment.
I would like to see improved battle system, in which the trainers are classified. You go up through ranks and start battling with youngsters up till you reach the aces, possible gym leaders, elite four and even a champion. Let them make different areas, and each area is inhabited by one level of trainers. Once you are done with that area, you gain the access to another. It will also be nice that when you defeat a trainer, or an area, you get the ability to swap members of your team with others that live in that area. It gives more diversity and some independence, as then, the player won't need the DS games to get a proper team. He would be able to improve his team with PBR on its own. Of course, the access to the games must be available for better coverage. I would also suggest to make the game faster, since it was really slow.
Old April 8, 2011, 11:26:02 PM
Regigigas

I think we need to console games: One straight 3d battler, like Stadium and PBR, and one RPG, like Colosseum and XD, perhaps a sequel. Also, I'd really like a 2d fighter, but I doubt that will happen.
Old April 9, 2011, 12:50:57 AM
Giratina

Here's a list of what I'd like to see:
  • Fully customisable battle rules (For local AND Wi-Fi)
  • An RPG similar to those of XD and Colosseum
  • A rental system like Pokémon Stadium
  • A PC storage system
  • A gym tower/battle challenge/something similar
  • MINI GAMES!
  • Everything else you'd expect (Multiplayer, DS connectivity, etc.)
Old April 9, 2011, 05:02:34 AM
Kyurem

I really just want a Pokemon Stadium 3 game to come out. I find that there are two types of console games: Stadium games and Adventure Games. Games like Stadium and PBR are in the first category while XD and Colosseum are in the second.

What was great about Stadium is that handheld games weren't necessary to play it. They had Rental Pokemon to use in the Gym Leader Castle and the insane amount of Stadiums, and there were also kick-butt mini games. Hell, I still play the game nowadays with friends, which really shows its longevity. PBR should have a few elements used in the next game, like how Wifi worked and the shop for getting useful items. Everything else about the game was a horrid disappointment though. There was almost nothing to do besides Wifi and regular stadiums. Funny how a game that came out 10+ years later had far less content than Stadium. And Rental Pokemon didn't even exist besides the awful ones that appeared on the free rental card you get at the start.

tl;dr version: Make another Stadium game. Draw a few elements from PBR, but mostly Stadium stuff.
Old April 9, 2011, 05:53:49 AM
Giratina

As mentioned in the posts over here (especially Ningamer's), the next console game should have a RPG which is unique and takes time to beat. It should have an interesting plot against a villainous person/team but on a minor scale as compared to the main titles on the DS. Aside from that, the game should contain fun mini-games which incorporate motion-sensing in some way, or allow multiple players to participate in it. The rental system is a good idea to include as well, and the traditional things, such as DS connectivity, should not be missed out.