Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General

Notices

Search this Thread
Old November 11, 2012, 07:44:02 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuniclus View Post
This can only be done on a Japanese copy of Diamond and Pearl, but you can use a Walk Through Walls glitch without using an Action Replay or a cheating device.

When you go to the Elite 4 and enter Aaron's room, you can directly face the blue door you came from and use Surf. The surfing animation will appear and you will go through the blue door, passing through the wall. This will allow you to walk practically anywhere in the Sinnoh region; even event-exclusive locations. If done right, you will be able to catch both Shaymin and Darkrai.

Evidence of this glitch being true is here:
The same can be said for the worldwide versions, being able to walk through the Mystery Zone, but it requires a much more complicated glitch; tweaking. The 4th gear setting (Super speed) on the bike allows you to go fast enough so that you can move faster than the game can load a new part of the map, thus opening up a void in, say, Jubilife City (Where the glitch usually takes place.) Doing so, you can walk through the void area, and with some risky tricks, leading you to either Newmoon Island or Seabreak Path (Where most people want to go.) The glitch in detail can be found in this video-

Note: It's boring, it's lame, it's time consuming, and it sucks. It was way easier to just download the events in Platinum.
Old November 11, 2012, 10:36:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
Through the use of external tools that allow you to walk through walls, you can beat all of the trainers in G/S/C without catching a single Pokémon. This is because if you get into a trainer battle while you have no Pokémon in your party, you are declared victor instantly. This works on every single trainer, including gym leaders, the Elite Four, and even Red.

Also, many of the sprites of 1st and 2nd gen Pokémon in Ruby and Sapphire are very similar, some being nearly identical, to their sprites from G/S/C with just some graphical improvements.

Oh, and Munna's design is based off the comment an NPC made in the original games. The NPC said "There should be a pink [Pokémon] with a floral pattern!"
This same trick does something very strange in FrLg. You white out and return to the Pokémon Center, after which Nurse Joy places an infinite number of Poké Balls. (Actually, it's some exponent of 256, but I'm not sure which.)

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; November 11, 2012 at 10:37:13 PM.
Old November 12, 2012, 11:19:19 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheKiller View Post
Giovanni was actually the good guy in Pokemon Red and Blue, the original ones. He had the silph scope and the master ball stolen and brought to him.
Actually, seeing as he was the leader of Team Rocket, who were using Pokémon for devilish causes, he is considered the bad guy. Plus, he didn't have the Master Ball stolen for him - the president of Silph Co. kept it hidden away as a prototype Poké-Ball.
The silph scope lets you see ghosts.
Ghosts are strong against psychics, such as Mewtwo.
While this is true from 2nd Generation and beyond, Ghost attacks did not affect Psychic types in the 1st Generation. This is assumed to be a glitch in development from what I remember.
The Master Ball can catch any pokemon, which most people use for mewtwo.
If you've watched the movie, you'll know that Mewtwo is hell bent on destroying the world.
It was more like Mewtwo was determined on showing cloned Pokémon are better than those trained by people.
Giovanni was trying to save the world and you stopped him
From what I remember, Giovanni was trying to control Mewtwo so he could fulfill his own evil plans.
Comments are in bold.

Also, I'd like to point out this thread is meant for facts that most people don't know. I'm pretty sure most people know the Silph Scope let you see ghosts and the Master Ball can catch any Pokémon, along with how Psychics are weak to Ghosts from 2nd Gen and beyond.
Old November 12, 2012, 11:26:27 AM
Linoone

Critical hits in the original Red/Blue were based off of speed, so fast pokemon like Jolteon got critical hits all the time.
Old November 12, 2012, 03:33:06 PM
Charizard

Floatzel and Ninetales are both the same height at 3' 7".
Old November 12, 2012, 03:37:16 PM
Giratina

Little Mac (from Punch-Out!!) weighs 107 lbs, which just so happens to be Hitmonchan's Pokédex number.
Old November 19, 2012, 02:10:51 PM
Charizard

Serperior has arms.
Old November 19, 2012, 02:22:21 PM

Stunfisk was originally going to be a Water/Electric type instead of a Ground/Electric type, and based off of an angler fish. (sounds quite similar to Lanturn)
Old November 19, 2012, 11:15:19 PM
Celebi

Rotom-S is the only Pokemon that can have a triple immunity to ground type moves. It's Flying type, the ability Levitate, and the item Air Balloon.

Irionically, if all these immunities were removed, it would be super effective.

Last edited by RotomGuy; November 20, 2012 at 02:14:43 AM.
Old November 21, 2012, 09:59:15 PM
Administrator

Normal type Pokémon using Normal type attacks do indeed receive STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus) at the usual 1.5x multiplier.

STAB is 1.5x if at least one of the Pokémon's types matches the type of the attack.

Types had strange glitches in the first generation, such as neutral attacks due to being doubly effective against one type but half effective against the other would show "It's not very effective" instead of no message.
Old November 22, 2012, 05:21:53 AM
Shaymin

According to an interview in Nintendo Power with Ken Sugimori, Shellos and Gastrodon were originally designed for Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire, but were not implemented in the final design.
Old November 22, 2012, 07:21:34 AM
Floatzel

Shedinja, despite having only 1 HP and less than good stats overall, works best in the Uber tier.

Gengar may or may not be an undead Clefable.

Drifblim, a Pokémon that can use the HM Fly to travel, is said to be very unreliable in reaching a specific destination by at least one Pokédex entry.

Spiritomb and/or Sableye can be given Wonder Guard without a cheating device. The move Skill Swap switches the user's and the target's abilities. Shedinja, Spiritomb, and Sableye cannot learn it. However, in a Triple or Double Battle, if one Pokémon uses Skill Swap on a Shedinja, and then uses Skill Swap on Spiritomb/Sableye, Shedinja will have the Skill Swap Pokémon's ability, the Skill Swap Pokémon will have Spiritomb/Sableye's ability, and Spiritomb/Sableye will have Wonder Guard. However, the Wonder Guard Spiritomb/Sableye can still be hit by status moves and affected by weather, so it can still be defeated by a burn, posioning, sandstorm, or hailstorm. Also, a Pokémon with Mold Breaker, Turboblaze, or Terravolt will still be able to hit it.

Last edited by Tarellethiel; November 22, 2012 at 07:23:48 AM.
Old November 22, 2012, 07:30:50 AM
Giratina

A Spiritomb or Sableye that have gotten Wonder Guard via team editors in the 4th generation games can still be hit by Fire Fang.
Old November 23, 2012, 08:41:18 AM
Servine

Blaziken is the first starter and fighting type (Meloetta can switch, and Arceus has every type) to get in Ubers.
Old November 23, 2012, 11:33:08 AM
Shaymin

Yanma weighs exactly the same as the male player character in Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. It shares this characteristic with Sudowoodo, Skuntank, Togekiss, and Fearow.

That is one heavy Dragonfly!
Old November 23, 2012, 12:02:27 PM
Volcarona

Hidden Power is classified as Normal-type. In total, it can deal damage of 16 of the 17 types. The one type it can't be is Normal.

Hidden Power's power (30-70) and type is determined by the Pokémon's IVs.

The most likely Hidden Power types are Fighting, Bug and Grass (7.8125%), and the least likely type is Dark (1.5625%).

If you have a perfect 31 IVs in every stat, your Hidden Power is Dark-type, 70 power. If you have 0 Ivs in every stat, your Hidden Power will be Fighting-type, 30 power.

Last edited by ThePokeMan; November 23, 2012 at 12:02:45 PM.
Old November 23, 2012, 08:54:56 PM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Swampert View Post
Floatzel and Ninetales are both the same height at 3' 7".
As are Larvesta and Whirlipede.

Unova seems to have mutant bug problems.
Old November 24, 2012, 12:50:05 AM
Administrator

Pokérus existed in Gen II.

(Wow, I took this picture 7 years ago.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pokérus Gen II.jpg
Views:	772
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	4154  
Old November 24, 2012, 05:44:05 AM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
-Snip-
Or the fact that Gold/Silver were SGB-Compatible for the most part? (Yes, Crystal got rid of that, but a border apparently exists for it based around the JP Version of Gold.)

Last edited by DiamondEdge; November 24, 2012 at 05:46:30 AM.
Old November 24, 2012, 07:19:57 AM
Celebi

Jigglypuff was originally going to be called "Pudding", and Wigglytuff "Custard".
Old November 24, 2012, 09:48:27 AM

In an interview with Ken Sugimori, he said that Tornadus was originally going to be red instead of purple/green
Old November 24, 2012, 11:27:23 AM
Servine

Slowbro and Slowking can learn fire type moves.

Lucario can learn every move with the word "-Pulse" in it.
Old November 26, 2012, 11:44:37 AM

The Reuniclus species line is the only line that can learn Thunder, but not Thunderbolt.
Old November 26, 2012, 12:07:00 PM
Landorus

Contrary to popular belief, Bug-Type moves do regular damage against Rock-Type and Bug-Type pokemon, rather than being not very effective. Therefore, one can use a Bug-Type move on a Rock/Bug Pokemon and still do regular damage.
(I just figured this out in the Multi-Train when my partner's Escavalier one-hit a Dwebble with X-scissor.)
Old November 26, 2012, 12:57:09 PM
Giratina

Kingdra was originally going to be in 1st generation still with its Water-Dragon typing, but seeing as the only weakness it would have would've been Dragon and the only Dragon type move in the game in that generation had a fixed damage amount, Kingdra was removed from 1st Gen and placed in 2nd Gen, where Dragon type moves were more common.
Old November 26, 2012, 04:03:07 PM
Charizard

Quote:
<snip>
That, and the anime is completely unrelated to the games.

Quote:

I knew this, I remember getting Pokérus in the same day on Crystal and Sapphire.
Old November 26, 2012, 11:52:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondEdge View Post
Or the fact that Gold/Silver were SGB-Compatible for the most part? (Yes, Crystal got rid of that, but a border apparently exists for it based around the JP Version of Gold.)
It's being run on Stadium 2, which actually has "hidden" compatibility with Crystal. Using Crystal with it unlocks a few icons throughout the interface (next to the Gold/Silver icons), but there are two interesting notes:
  • The Game Boy Tower shows a generic Game Boy Color border.
  • The option to partially load the ROM image from the cartridge is not available, and the game doesn't start until the entire thing is loaded into memory, which takes a couple minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotomGuy View Post
Jigglypuff was originally going to be called "Pudding", and Wigglytuff "Custard".
Jigglypuff is called Pudding (Purin プリン) in the Japanese version.

And now for two facts:

Zangoose and Seviper can breed with each other.

There exists a bug in Gen IV where trading Kadabra while holding an Everstone will not stop its evolution to Alakazam. (I believe you have to press the B button manually.)

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; November 26, 2012 at 11:54:52 PM.
Old December 10, 2012, 05:19:13 PM
Giratina

Sinnoh and Johto are linked through a mysterious connection of the Ruins of Alph and the Hall of Origin.
The Sinjoh Ruins somewhere to the north of Johto contain structures similar to that of Mt. Coronet and the Ruins of Alph.
While in the Ruins of Alph, if you tune your radio in the deeper part you can hear some of the melody from the Azure Flute.
The music used for the Sinjoh Ruins is a combination of songs from D/P/Pt; Dialga/Palkia battle, Giratina battle, Mt. Coronet, Hall of Origin, and Title screen. (I dunno about those last 2)
Plus, the Sinjoh Ruins event is the first and only time ever (well I dunno about only, but definitely first) that Pokémon has used real world photos.
Old December 10, 2012, 05:50:09 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Kingdra was originally going to be in 1st generation still with its Water-Dragon typing, but seeing as the only weakness it would have would've been Dragon and the only Dragon type move in the game in that generation had a fixed damage amount, Kingdra was removed from 1st Gen and placed in 2nd Gen, where Dragon type moves were more common.
This reason is why Gyarados is Water/Flying instead of the obvious Water/Dragon typing.

It's possible to walk through walls in R/B/Y without a cheating device, but it requires a combination of glitches, knowledge of how the game tracks steps, and a ton of Potions.
Old December 10, 2012, 06:13:12 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePokeMan View Post
It's possible to walk through walls in R/B/Y without a cheating device, but it requires a combination of glitches, knowledge of how the game tracks steps, and a ton of Potions.
You also have to have you entire team poisoned. After that, you need to pull off the Glitch City glitch up until walking out the door. The 500th step has to be jumping over a ledge too.

In the R/B/Y code, there is a hidden type known as "Bird." You can see this type if you look in MissingNo.'s stats. It's speculated that Bird was originally going to be the current Flying type, but was changed for unknown reasons. However, the Bird type was still left in the code without any sort of affect to the gameplay.
Old December 10, 2012, 06:32:12 PM
Volcarona

We could stay on the subject of R/B/Y glitches all day, there's so many things you can do with those games. So much potential for breakage~

Contrary to popular belief, having 2 Pokémon in a Double Battle or 2-3 in a Triple Battle go down in one turn in B/W/B2/W2 does NOT lock the game up. To properly switch in these situations, you have to enter the shift command for 1 Pokémon. When it goes back to the party screen, tap the fainted Pokémon in the top slot. When you try to shift in the second Pokémon, the game will continue as normal, and your 2 selected members will be put into the battle (for a triple-faint in a Triple Battle, do the same procedure with the second Pokémon that you did with the first, just shift it manually into the second slot). I don't know how well-known that is, but it seemed like something a lot of people had issues with.
Old December 10, 2012, 07:36:05 PM

Mr. Mime had 4 fingers in every game before FR/LG came out. Since then, Mr. Mime has had 5 fingers.
Old December 10, 2012, 08:19:44 PM

Five pokemon have a whopping SEVEN weaknesses: exeggute/exeggutor, snover/abomasnow, and celebi. Interestingly enough they are all grass types and three of the five are grass/psychic.
Old December 10, 2012, 10:01:23 PM
Volcarona

Scyther's Beta name was Stryke.

Last edited by LugiaDialga; December 10, 2012 at 10:01:32 PM.
Old December 10, 2012, 10:05:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugiaDialga View Post
Scyther's Beta name was Stryke.
That's Scyther's Japanese name, too (sutoraiku).
Old December 11, 2012, 04:57:48 AM
Giratina

Because there was originally going to be 190 Pokémon in the 1st generation, and we know for a fact that Rhydon was the first Pokémon created by the designers (shown with a Hexadecimal value of 01), you can see what Pokémon were scrapped for Gen 1 and were later placed in Gen 2.
Complete list of scrapped Pokémon for Gen 1    
Scizor
Shuckle
Heracross
Ho-Oh
Sneasel
Teddiursa
Ursaring
Slugma
Magcargo
Swinub
Piloswine
Corsola
Remoriad
Octillary
Delibird
Mantine
Skarmory
Houndour
Houndoom
Kingdra
Phanpy
Donphan
Stantler
Smeargle
Tyrouge
Hitmontop
Smoochum
Elekid
Magby
Miltank
Blissey
Raikou
Entei
Suicune
Larvitar
Pupitar (shows up as the MissingNo. "Kabutops Fossil")
Tyranitar (shows up as the MissingNo. "Aerodactyl Fossil")
Lugia (shows up as the MissingNo. "Ghost")

Fun fact: They created Ivysaur (Hex value of 09) long before they made Bulbasaur (153) and Venusaur (154). There's also plenty of other Pokémon who were created before their pre-evolved forms.

In Gen 2, however, they rearranged the Hex values of all the Pokémon so they would be in order of their respective Pokédex number.

Also, there is a glitch Pokémon in Gen 2 called "Glitch Egg". It is an Egg that hatched from an Egg. It acts as both an Egg and a Pokémon. You can deposit all of your other Pokémon into a box, but you can't deposit Glitch Egg. If you send out Glitch Egg into battle in Gold or Silver, the game resets instantly. In Crystal, however, you can battle with it, but knows no moves so it can only struggle. If you lose a battle with Glitch Egg in your party, it doesn't get healed back at the Pokémon Center, meaning if that's your only Pokémon in your party, you can go into battles with it and instantly end the battle because you technically have no Pokémon in your party. Also, the Glitch Egg weighs 6146.5 lbs in Crystal version at a height of 0'22". In Gold and Silver, it weighs 486.3 lbs and has a height of 5'7". It takes roughly 30719 steps to hatch Glitch Egg into another Egg.

Last edited by Quadcentruo; December 11, 2012 at 05:12:48 AM.
Old December 22, 2012, 02:00:21 PM
Shaymin

Kanto: Names are based on color.

Pallet Town: A palette is a set of colors, used in various means.
Viridian City: From viridian, a blue-green color.
Pewter City: Pewter is a metal alloy of copper, tin, and, traditionally, lead that has a gray color.
Cerulean City: From cerulean, a deep blue color.
Vermilion City: From vermilion, a reddish-orange pigment produced from the mineral cinnabar.
Saffron City: From saffron, a golden yellow color.
Celadon City: From celadon, a light grayish green color.
Lavender Town: From lavender, a pale purple color.
Cinnabar Island: From cinnabar, an orange-red mineral used to produce vermilion pigment.
Fuchsia City: From fuchsia.
Indigo Plateau: Indigo is one of the seven traditional colors of the rainbow, a blue-purple color. It also shares its name with the indigo plant. Its name therefore follows the theme of Kanto's cities (as a color) and Johto's cities (as a plant).

Johto: Names are based on plants.

New Bark Town: Literally, "new bark".
Cherrygrove City: Cherries are a type of fruit, while a grove is a multitude of trees near each other.
Violet City: Possibly taken from the color of the Chinese bellflower or from the plant, violet.
Azelea Town: From the plant Azalea.
Goldenrod City: From goldenrod, a type of yellow-colored flowering plant.
Ecruteak City: Ecru is a beige color, while teak is a type of tree.
Olivine City: Possibly from the words "olive" and "vine". May also come from the word "olivine."
Cianwood City: From the words "cyan" and "wood".
Mahogany Town: From mahogany.
Blackthorn City: From the plant blackthorn, a type of plant closely related to the plum.

Hoenn: Names are based on two words combined together, relating to a close bond between trainer and Pokemon. Also, the last part of nearly every city has something that signifies a place.

Littleroot Town: Literally, "little root."
Oldale Town: Combination of the word "old" and "dale."
Petalburg City: From the words petal and burg.
Rustboro City: From rust and a phonetic spelling of borough.
Dewford Town: From dew and ford.
Slateport City: Compound of slate, a type of rock, and port, a town with a harbor where ships can load and unload.
Mauville City: From mauve, a purple-pink color, and ville, a common suffix to names of villages
Vendanturf Town: From verdant, green, and turf, meaning land.
Fallarbor Town: From fall, one of the four seasons, and arbor, another word for tree.
Lavaridge Town: From lava, molten rock expelled from a volcano, and ridge, a raised land formation commonly associated with volcanic activity.
Fortree City: From fort and tree, referring to the tree houses that residents of the town live in.
Lilycove City: From lily, a type of water plant, and cove, a type of coastal landmark
Mossdeep City: From moss and deep, referring to the many areas where Dive can be used near the island.
Sootopolis City: From soot, which is expelled when a volcano erupts, and polis, the Greek word for city.
Pacifidlog Town: From Pacific Ocean, pacific, gold, and log, which is what the walkways of the city are made of.
Ever Grande City: From the words "ever" and "grand".

Sinnoh: Names are based on things that pertain to the place.

Twinleaf Town: Means bud, sprout, or set of two leaves.
Sandgem Town: From sand and gem.
Jubilife City: From jubilant and life.
Oreburgh City: From ore and the suffix burgh meaning city.
Eterna City: Eterna is a shortening of eternal, a word that is synonymous with forever
Floaroma Town: From flora and aroma.
Hearthome City: From the expression home is where the heart is.
Solaceon Town: From solace, meaning comfort.
Veilstone City: From veil and stone.
Pastoria City: From pasture land.
Celestic Town: From celestial.
Canalave City: From canal and lave.
Snowpoint City: From snow and point (as the northernmost point of Sinnoh, possibly referencing kissaki).
Sunyshore City: Derives from sunny, referring to its weather, and shore, as it is on Sinnoh's coastline.
Fight Area: The name seems to come from the fact that the Fight Area is not a city, however, it is a tiny port town built around the Battle Park/Battle Frontier, where many Pokémon battles take place.
Survival Area: The name may come from the fact that it is one of the most remote of the incorporated areas of Sinnoh, separated from all others by Routes 225 and 226, both of which feature very rugged landscapes.
Resort Area: The name may refer to the fact that this area is very peaceful, as well as the fact that the Ribbon Syndicate, into which only very skilled Coordinators can enter, is located here.

Unova: Names are based off clouds.

Nuvema Town: From the Portuguese word nuvem (cloud). May also be from the Latin novum (new).
Accumula Town: From cumulus cloud and "accumulate".
Straiton City: Corruption of striation, a series of parallel grooves in cloud formation that reveals the presence of rotation. Also contains "tri" (three). May also be from stratus clouds.
Nacrene City: From nacreous cloud, polar clouds that have iridescent luster. Also from nacre (mother of pearl).
Castelia City: From castellanus, a cloud species. Also, from the Latin for castle.
Nimbasa City: From nimbus cloud, clouds that produces rain and lightning.
Anville Town: From anvil clouds, anvil and ville.
Driftveil City: From cloud drift and the word "veil". May also be from velum (sail-shaped cloud).
Mistralton City: From mistral wind, mist, alto (high), a common prefix for cloud names, and -ton, a common suffix used in cities.
Iccirus City: From "ice" or "icy", and cirrus cloud, which contains high concentration of ice crystals.
Opelucid City: From opacus (opaque sheets of clouds), perlucidus (sheets of cloud with small spaces), and possibly translucidus (translucent sheets of clouds). May also be from opal. Additionally, "lucid" means "clear; pellucid; transparent: shining or bright," so it may be translated as "bright opal city".
Aspertia City: From asperatus (a recently discovered cloud formation) and aspire or aspiration.
Virbank City: From virga, bank, and possibly Burbank.
Lentimas Town: From lenticular cloud, a cloud that usually forms over a mountain.
Undella Town: From undulatus, clouds displaying wavy patterns. It could also be derived from "underwater" and "umbrella."
Lacunosa Town: From lacunosus, clouds characterized by a honeycomb pattern.
Flocessy Town: From floccus, a type of cloud whose name is Latin for "a tuft of wool" (possibly a reference to the Mareep in the ranch).
Himilau City: From cumulus humilis and humid. May also be from hula and luau.

Source: Bulbapedia
Old December 22, 2012, 06:36:48 PM
Zoroark

This is more to people who watched the Anime, but never played the game. Charizard can not learn Fly, not is it a Dragon type
Old December 22, 2012, 11:39:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheKiller View Post
This is more to people who watched the Anime, but never played the game. Charizard can not learn Fly, not is it a Dragon type
*could not

That was fixed in Yellow, and Charizard can learn Fly in every game since. You are correct that it is not a Dragon type.
Old December 29, 2012, 09:16:16 PM
Zoroark

Latias and Blaziken used to be the same pokemon
Old January 2, 2013, 06:54:12 PM
Administrator

Trick Room has an interesting glitch in BW (but supposedly not BW2). Under normal conditions, it inverts the Speed of all Pokémon to ever enter the field for the battle, so that slower Pokémon go before faster Pokémon. However, it is possible to out-speed the effects of Trick Room. If your Pokémon is so fast that its Speed is over 1,809, by usage of moves like Agility, abilities like Swift Swim, and/or items like Choice Scarf, then that Pokémon takes priority over all Pokémon with lower speed values.

Palkia is the Spatial Pokémon and learns Spacial Rend. I don't know why the spelling varies, though.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; January 2, 2013 at 07:14:13 PM.
Old January 5, 2013, 03:39:55 AM
Haxorus

Vulpix was originally going to be called "Foxfire" in Pokemon Red and Blue beta.
Old January 23, 2013, 06:13:42 AM
Volcarona

There is a Pokemon Day in Chile. Here's a video of Pokemon Day 2013.

Old March 24, 2013, 03:33:54 PM
Charizard

These are pictures of Whitney's Gym in Pokemon Gold/Silver and in Pokemon Soulsilver and Heartgold respectively. Whitney's main Pokemon is Clefairy.

Last edited by _.-Mew; March 24, 2013 at 03:34:46 PM.
Old March 24, 2013, 03:44:50 PM
Administrator

Oh, there was also a Pokémon Day in New York, proclaimed by Mayor Bloomberg and announced by Hulk Hogan (yes, the wrestler) on the 10th Anniversary celebration:

(Warning: shaky camera)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _.-Mew View Post
I remember seeing this some years back in a strategy guide.
Old March 24, 2013, 04:33:53 PM
Regigigas

If someone posted this I'm sorry.

When paras evolves into to parasect has blank white eyes and the fungi is massive this apparently implies that the fungi has taken over the body and parasect is technically dead or kinda zombified.... Wow...
Old March 24, 2013, 04:57:11 PM
Shaymin

Here are some Murkrow Facts

In the original Gen 2 games (GSC) Murkrow can only be found in the Kanto Region!
The Murkrow Family is the only family of pokemon who is able to learn Quash by leveling up.
Gligar and Murkrow are the only pokemon that have gender differences before the evolve and not after.
Old March 25, 2013, 12:52:41 PM
Charizard

If you unscramble the letters in Mareep, you get Ampere. The ampere is often shortened to amp, which is the SI unit of electricity.
Old April 17, 2013, 01:06:37 AM
Administrator

Joltik is a lot smaller than you might imagine.

Name:	Sylvester_Joltik_size.png
Views:	2182
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	4771
Old April 17, 2013, 02:11:43 AM
Giratina

Quote:

At first I thought you had meant to say Beartic and I was gonna feel all high and mighty correcting you. And then I saw the infinitesimal speck. My God.
According to Pokédex data, Beartic is 8'6". Joltik is a mere 04".
Old April 17, 2013, 07:52:43 AM
Haxorus

Quote:

Omg lol, in the games, it makes Joltik look so much bigger than it really is.
Old April 17, 2013, 01:49:27 PM
Giratina

Quote:

Well, what do you expect? Joltik is a... well, a tick.
And Beartic is a... well, a polar bear.

I mean, the average size of a tick is around 2 millimeters and the average size of a polar bear is around 2.5 meters. I will admit, however, that Joltik clocks in at an impressive 0.1 meter (or 10 centimeters, or 100 millimeters).
However, to think that a small tick could beat a polar bear would be reaching into biological warfare.

On a different note: According to Bulbapedia, if you were to throw a Pokéball at a Pokémon with a catch rate of 3 that is currently at full health, you'd have a 0.4% chance of catching said Pokémon. That means, statistically speaking, it would take you approximately 2,500 Pokéballs at full health to catch a Pokémon with a catch rate of 3 (statistically speaking, of course. Might take more or less depending on how lucky you are).

Last edited by Quadcentruo; April 17, 2013 at 01:54:01 PM.
Old April 17, 2013, 04:08:33 PM
Administrator

250, not 2,500.
Old April 18, 2013, 01:00:59 PM
Giratina

Quote:
250, not 2,500.
100(%) divided by 0.4(%), so 1 divided by 0.004 equals...
...darn it, Math, you're making me look bad.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:13:11 PM
Administrator

This one is quite a shocker. In the Trading Card Game, since Wizards lost its rights to publish the cards, TPCI has released every single Pokémon of the first five generations as cards...except one...

Kadabra.

My only theory is that Kadabra had been pointed out as being a bit of a "satanic" devil-worshipping symbol in the card game by various religious nuts around 2000.
Old May 10, 2013, 02:53:26 AM

Quote:
This one is quite a shocker. In the Trading Card Game, since Wizards lost its rights to publish the cards, TPCI has released every single Pokémon of the first five generations as cards...except one...

Kadabra.

My only theory is that Kadabra had been pointed out as being a bit of a "satanic" devil-worshipping symbol in the card game by various religious nuts around 2000.
Not quite... Kadabra hasn't appeared in the TCG (or in the anime after a Gen 3 episode) because of a person claiming copyright and slight Nazi symbolism.

Uri Geller was famous for his trick of "spoon bending" and he claimed that Kadabra was like a copy of his own identity. He also pointed out that his own name and Kadabra's name were strikingly similar when printed in Japanese text: ユンゲラー (Kadabra's name) and ユリゲラー (Geller's name). Another reason that Kadabra is no longer in the TCG or anime is because Geller sued Nintendo for 60 million yen for copyright infringement. Lastly, Geller claimed that the red star and markings on Kadabra's abdomen were symbols of the Waffen SS (military force of Nazi Germany).

In short, Geller was peeved that he thought Nintendo stole his identity and turned him into an evil, occult Pokémon.

The reason why Kadabra isn't featured in the TCG and anime anymore is because Nintendo probably wants to avoid lawsuits.
Old May 10, 2013, 04:44:21 PM
Administrator

Right, right. I had forgotten about that.
Old May 11, 2013, 10:07:53 AM
Joltik

Electric types have only one weakness: Ground. Thanks to this, there's one evolution line out there that has no weaknesses (Sort of like Spiritomb and Sabelye): The Eelectross line. Also, this means that a pure electric type that uses skill swap on a pokemon with levitate will also have no weaknesses.
Old May 11, 2013, 12:02:28 PM
Mudkip

I have one: Ditto is the one and only non-legendary pokemon that cant be level 1. 2 Dittos in the daycare will never produce an egg
Old May 11, 2013, 01:35:34 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLD View Post
I have one: Ditto is the one and only non-legendary pokemon that cant be level 1.
Actually, Ditto and Unown. Unown cannot breed and the lowest level that it is found at is 5.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:39:15 AM
Joltik

In Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky, when Riolu was introduced as a starter in Sky, it became the 1st starter to only be available in one of the game sets. (As in, Riolu was the only starter that couldn't be recruitied in EVERY game in that generation, because it wasn't able to be found in Darkness without Wonder Mail)
Old June 2, 2013, 08:50:40 AM

If a Pokemon uses Minimize, and if the opposing Pokemon uses Stomp, it will become more powerful.
Old June 2, 2013, 09:11:54 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
If a Pokemon uses Minimize, and if the opposing Pokemon uses Stomp, it will become more powerful.
Steamroller also becomes twice as powerful ^^

Earthquake and Magnitude deal double damage to an opponent in the invincible stage of Dig, and an opponent in the invincible stage of Fly will be dealt double damage if hit with Twister, Gust, Rock Slide or Thunder.
Old June 2, 2013, 11:25:45 AM
Zoroark

There was a illness named Pokemon. I think it had to do with cancer. Nintendo sued for legal reasons, and the name was changed
Old June 2, 2013, 11:40:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperEspeon25 View Post
There was a illness named Pokemon. I think it had to do with cancer. Nintendo sued for legal reasons, and the name was changed
That would be the Zbtb7 oncogene.
Old June 2, 2013, 01:16:30 PM
Rayquaza

Ursaring's number of claws has changed over time and between canons. In its original artwork, Ursaring has four visible claws; however, in its HeartGold and SoulSilver artwork, it has five claws. In the Generation II games, it has three claws. From Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire up to and including Pokémon Platinum, it has four claws. From HeartGold and SoulSilver onwards, Ursaring has had five claws in its game sprites.
Old June 4, 2013, 09:31:29 PM
Volcarona

Quote:

Kadabra.

Kadabra's card caused a controversy with a Psychic by the name of Uri Geller who tried to sue Nintendo claiming that Kadabra was an unauthorized parody of himself because Kadabra is depicted being able to bend spoons with the mind. He lost, obviously, however Nintendo did stop production of any further Kadabra cards after the Skyridge TCG set. The only other Abra and Alakazam card ever were from the Mysterious Treasures DP set with Rare Candies being common and an attack to evolve immediately. (I have both cards) I've seen this "story" on many sites, but you can view the controversy information here.
Old June 4, 2013, 09:36:07 PM
Administrator

I know. '^_^ I remembered that story after reading Reun's reply to my post.
Old June 6, 2013, 03:50:42 PM
Mudkip

I may have missed it but I dont think anyone has posted this one.
Ekans backwards is Snake.
Arbok backwards is Kobra.
Old June 7, 2013, 07:39:47 PM

I'll give a few more facts about Arbok.

Arbok's Pattern Problem

Throughout Pokémon generations, Arbok's sprite has undergone several minor changes in terms of its pattern. The reason for this could probably be because of Arbok's Red/Blue Pokédex entry:

"It is rumored that the ferocious warning markings on its belly differ from area to area."

In Gen 1, Arbok's back sprite had 2 zigzag patterns on its back. This error was fixed in Gen 2

In Gen 2, Arbok's back sprite was fixed, but the pattern on its chest was different. The implied face pattern on its chest has well-defined eyes with pupils and also a red mouth. Despite Arbok's Pokédex entry, it has a different sprite in Heartgold and Soulsilver even though they are from the same region.

The TCG also gave Arbok a different frontal pattern. Dark Arbok in particular features more menacing eyes as well as the addition of teeth to the red mouth.

Name:	dark_arbok2_1st_ed_team_rocket.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	4908

The original Pokémon Pinball also seems to give Arbok the pupils and red mouth pattern.

This error was also present in Gen 3 where Arbok is given the same distinguishable eyes and red mouth pattern. However, the Firered/Leafgreen sprite of Arbok fixes this error.

In gens 4 and 5, Arbok retains its fixed pattern in both its front and back sprites.
Old June 7, 2013, 11:43:05 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
In gens 4 and 5, Arbok retains its fixed pattern in both its front and back sprites.
if you didn't notice in 4 and 5 the back sprite shows rings around the entire tail on the back sprite but a gap in the front sprite where rings should be XD
Old June 13, 2013, 08:02:58 AM
Rayquaza

This one really got me.
Old June 13, 2013, 09:43:50 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
This one really got me.
In addition, the Dark type is referred to as the "Evil" type in Japanese. Its weakness to Fighting stems from the principle that a true fighting style trumps any kind of underhanded tactics used by a dirty fighter. Its immunity to Psychic and weakness to Bug stem from the same thing: While a true Psychic will be unable to see through the tricks and traps set up by a trickster, the single-minded nature of a Bug allows it to see straight through to the source.
Old June 13, 2013, 03:38:24 PM
Rayquaza

Based off that it'd be funny if Fairy is Super Effective against Psychic.

Although there are rumors it'll be Super Effective against dark, which makes sense.
Old June 13, 2013, 03:45:54 PM
Administrator

I'm pretty sure the entire type chart is based on something.
Old July 20, 2013, 04:10:19 AM
Rayquaza

Not only is the anime inconsistent about the height of Pokemon but they're also really inconsistent with the height of there humans.

The tallest character, Virgil is up to the same height as Beartic who is up to 8 Feet!

However in another episode he was only slightly taller then Cilan!
Old July 21, 2013, 10:36:51 AM
Linoone

It seems they do that in alot of anime. In FMA, Edd seems taller sometimes and in Soul Eater, Chrona and Death/Shinigami appeared to changed sizes multiple times.
Old September 23, 2013, 01:09:11 PM
Kyurem

Rhydon was the first Pokemon created.
Old October 12, 2013, 12:07:25 PM
Giratina

Pokemon X and Y are the first Pokemon games to leave off the word "Version."

The game intro music (the jingle heard on the 3DS menu) for X and Y are arranged the same. However, X uses high woodwinds and strings, while Y uses low brass.
Old February 9, 2014, 03:23:27 PM
Administrator

In Gens I and II, X Accuracy caused moves to ignore the accuracy check and therefore always hit.

Also in Gens I and II, "Elixir" and "Max Elixir" were misspelled "Elixer" and "Max Elixer," respectively.

Paralyze Heal had been known as "Parlyz Heal" in Gens I through V. Even though there were plenty of characters available to change the item's name to "Paralyze Heal" by Gen IV, it wasn't corrected until Gen VI. This trait similarly applies to Tiny Mushroom, Bright Powder, Silver Powder, Black Glasses, and Thunder Stone, all five lacking the space prior to Gen VI. Never-Melt Ice had previously been spelled as "NeverMeltIce."

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; February 9, 2014 at 03:32:09 PM.
Old March 9, 2014, 08:46:21 PM
Mudkip

The move waterfall was first introduced as an HM in G/S/C, but it was naturally learnable by Goldeen in R/B/Y
Old March 12, 2014, 01:44:41 AM
Administrator

These coins are legal tender in the country of Niue.Click image for larger version

Name:	Niue-Pokemon-Legal-Coins-Strange-Or-What.png
Views:	1919
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	6063
Old March 19, 2014, 12:34:49 AM
Administrator

In some Pokémon games containing a Game Corner, the exchange center is a separate building. This is because of gambling laws in Japan. In a Japanese pachinko parlor, you can purchase balls with real money for play in the machines, and winning can result in a payout of additional balls. The balls can be exchanged for prizes or tokens, neither of which may be converted into cash within the building to comply with Japanese laws that state that gambling with real money is illegal. However, exchange centers typically operate adjacent to pachinko parlors that allow tokens to be converted back into cash, and both establishments may have the same owner.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; March 19, 2014 at 12:35:33 AM.
Old March 19, 2014, 06:11:03 AM
Keldeo

Getting back to the type chart, has anyone figured out the Fairy type yet? The most I can find is this, which is fairly out of character with (most of) the rest of the type chart and in some cases (see: Steel) downright absurd.
Old March 20, 2014, 02:56:57 PM
Mudkip

99% of you probably know this, but Deoxys is named after the scientific name for D.N.A. (Deoxyribose nucleic acid) I think I spelled that right.
Old March 20, 2014, 03:03:33 PM
Keldeo

This is only a ridiculous coincidence, but Deoxys different forms' initials also correspond with a classic American play:

A
Streecar
Named
Desire
Old March 21, 2014, 07:33:46 PM
Mudkip

I'm not sure if this has been posted, but did you know...

That in Gen. 1, critical hits were determined by the speed of the pokemon? Because of this, Jolteon wrecked so much face.
Old March 21, 2014, 08:22:59 PM
Volcarona

Although Jolteon has higher speed, due to it's piss poor move pool in gen 1 and the omnipresence of Golem and Rhydon, Dugtrio was known as the king of critical hits because it was able to score them on the aforementioned rock types as well as other types it hit neutrally which made up for it's meager base 80 attack stat.

Last edited by MattyBrollic; October 5, 2014 at 06:36:08 AM.
Old October 5, 2014, 03:00:00 AM
Administrator

Alright, this is an incredibly random one, and I was reminded about it by a certain xkcd comic.

In Pokémon Channel, there is a TV channel called Relaxation Channel. When watching it, Mareep jump over a fence with a counter that displays how many have jumped while gentle music plays. Pikachu falls asleep while watching this channel. However, if you actually leave the game running for four and a half hours without changing the channel (or whatever causes the programming to reset), it will actually count all the way up to 5,000 before a commercial break.

I've attached two screenshots I took some years back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCI1274.JPG
Views:	528
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	6459   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI1275.JPG
Views:	532
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	6460  
Old October 8, 2014, 01:28:45 PM
Kyurem

Farfetch'd with the item Stick then uses "Slash" it will always result in a critical hit in Gen 6. (Not sure in older games too, but i only tested this in Firered so far)
Old October 8, 2014, 02:09:39 PM
Keldeo

Gen I has the weird thing where critical hit ratios are based on Speed, so fast things like Jolteon and Dugtrio could score critical hits almost all - if not all - of the time. The ratio did get doubled between Gens 5 and 6, and now there are a few ways to have a 100% critical hit ratio (usually involving Focus Energy) in X and Y.

Also, Frost Breath and Storm Throw have 100% critical hit ratios but I'm assuming you're not counting those.
Old March 18, 2015, 06:48:17 AM

There was a prototype legendary dog that went unused. (It was made by Muneo Saito who designed the legendary dogs) My guess is that it was eventually split into Suicune and Raikou.

Old March 19, 2015, 10:38:18 PM
Giratina

Quote:
There was a prototype legendary dog that went unused. (It was made by Muneo Saito who designed the legendary dogs) My guess is that it was eventually split into Suicune and Raikou.

This is it, these are your origins, Suicune! I'm gonna use my hyper-creative skills and name it Suikou. I'm adding that to my names for you.