Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming > Battling and Trading Archive

Notices

Search this Thread
Old May 21, 2012, 06:18:04 AM

Default PotW 8: Golurk

Pokémon Sprite 623
Pokemon of the week #8 is Golurk

Overview (From Smogon):
In a tier where Ghost-types haunt almost every team, Golurk struggles to make its presence felt. It has neither the sheer bulk of Cofagrigus and Dusknoir, nor the Speed of Rotom. What Golurk does have, however, is a unique typing and one of the best Attack stats in the tier. Not only can Golurk spinblock, but it can also single-handedly defeat most of the tier's common Rapid Spin users with its excellent coverage and powerful moves. Sadly, Golurk's secondary typing curses it with weaknesses to common Grass- and Water-type attacks. Fortunately, it also gives Golurk an immunity to Electric-type attacks, meaning the ghostly automaton can set up on common Choice Scarf users such as Galvantula and break through VoltTurn cores. Choosing to use Golurk over the many other Ghost-types is often a hard decision to make; however, if you want a spinblocker that can also double as an excellent offensive Pokemon or even a sweeper, then Golurk should be the perfect fit for your team.

Rules:
You can post as many movesets as you want. Just try to fit them into one post.
All movesets must be original. Meaning they must not be sets that are taken off a website.
Constructive Criticism is good, just no flaming or trolling.
Please try to be serious about the set and provide as much information as possible on how it works.

Base Stats:
HP: 89
Attack: 124
Defense: 80
Special Attack: 55
Special Defense: 80
Speed: 55

Form of Movesets:    
Name of Pokemon @ Item
Nature
Ability
EVs
-
-
-
-
DESCRIPTION
Old May 21, 2012, 05:39:54 PM
Giratina

Amazing PotW commitee, Reuniclus, always on the job when I have amnesia lol
Old May 25, 2012, 06:43:35 AM

I managed to make 3 Golurk sets. ^^

Trick Room Terror

Golurk @ Ghost Gem
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Nature: Adamant
Shadow Punch
Earthquake
Hammer Arm
Protect

This set is one that should be used on a Trick Room team. It can also work well in doubles battles when with a Bronzong with levitate as an ability. Protect allows you to phase any damage while Trick Room is being set up. Shadow Punch for a good STAB move; especially with the Ghost Gem. Earthquake is going to be your main attack for taking out opponents. Hammer Arm is a great move to use with Trick Room up; not only is it powerful, but it lowers your speed, which makes you faster while Trick Room is up.

Special Golem?

Golurk @Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Nature: Modest
Shadow Ball
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Focus Blast

I know this set is a little odd, but Golurk can have the potential to be a special attacker. When this Pokemon has max special attack and has choice specs as an item, its gets a 343 special attack stat as a result. Golurk is able to have a ton of special attacks, including the bolt-beam attack combination. Shadow Ball makes it have a good STAB move against Psychic and other Ghost types. Even though Golurk doesn’t get and special Ground attacks, it gets Focus Blast, which can deal with a wide variety of types. This set may also work well on a Trick Room team.

Spectre Polish

Golurk @Leftovers
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Nature: Jolly
Rock Polish
Earthquake
Shadow Punch
Stone Edge

Even though Golurk has 55 base speed, it can become a good sweeper with one Rock Polish. I’ve used a Pokemon similar to Golurk with the same base speed, and it was able to outspeed a Timid Moltres after 1 Rock Polish. Earthquake acts as a main STAB attack. Shadow Punch deals with pokemon that can avoid Earthquake; mostly Psychic types with Levitate. Stone Edge covers the pokemon who have the Normal/Flying. This set is definitely preferred if you want to use Golurk on a non-Trick Room team.