Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Pokémon General
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old March 16, 2011, 12:53:17 AM
Regigigas

Default Pokémon RéBURST

Well, to start things off, Chapter 1 was released on the 9th (in Shonen Sunday as a serialization, not in tankoban format as of yet), so what were your thoughts on the introduction to the series so far?

I personally found the concept of performing a "BURST" with a Pokémon quite intriguing, not that I've never this sort of thing done before, but I didn't expect it to be so boldly done in Chapter 1 of a Pokémon manga. Not only that, but unlike most manga where the trainer gets their Pokémon to fight for them all the time (granted, I think Pokémon Adventures is amazing), Ryouga actually fought off enemies by himself, not to mentioning lifting a boulder over his back. I do hope there is a more serious side to him as well, though, since having him as an overly-hyper character looking for a fight wherever he goes makes him less emotionally compelling, in my opinion, but again, this is only Chapter 1, so I suppose I can't make a complete judgement of him yet.

Also, for anyone who needs a brief explanation on how a BURST works, basically, a person uses a crystal called a BURST Heart which stores a Pokémon inside it, to combine with them and give the human the powers of the Pokémon, and a partial appearance of them. An example can be seen below with a BURST being performed with an Excadrill:

What makes things so interesting is that Ryouga's BURST was with Zekrom, which begs the question of just what role, plot-wise, Zekrom will play in the manga, and if it will be a recurring element, or only last for a story arc.

Last edited by AuraKshatriya; March 17, 2011 at 06:03:46 PM.
Old March 17, 2011, 11:03:39 AM
Zoroark

The concept of a BURST is... Interesting to say the least. I can see this working out, but I really don't want it to wiggle its way into the mainstream games. That could only end in disaster.
Old April 20, 2011, 03:41:21 AM
Servine

Nice...I wish there was different pokémon anime as there are different pkmn manga :/
Old May 13, 2011, 01:59:20 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeiDragunov View Post
The concept of a BURST is... Interesting to say the least. I can see this working out, but I really don't want it to wiggle its way into the mainstream games. That could only end in disaster.
A spin-off or two based on this manga could work, but I agree that it should be kept out of the main games.

Back on topic: We already have a BURST with Zekrom by the conclusion of Chapter 1?! This is either going to be a big hit, or a big flop. They just need to do this right.