Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology

Notices

Search this Thread
Old April 28, 2013, 11:06:08 AM
Charizard

Post Anyone know some good,inexpensive gaming PC parts?

I'm thinking about building a computer. All I have is a bottom end Windows 8 Toshiba Satellite laptop at the moment. I'm looking to get some good enough parts to be able to run Sonic Generations (from Amazon.com/Steam) and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II on max settings as well as the Portal series and Final Fantasy XIV and any other games I missed out on due to the lack of any current gen Microsoft or Sony consoles. It'll be my first build and I'm looking for a good list of components and some casing options for an inexpensive price. I'd like to run Linux and possibly Windows 7 (not 8 >.<) for any games and programs that aren't Linux Supported. Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 28, 2013, 01:06:54 PM
Giratina

I do know some good parts, but inexpensive parts is something I don't know. By the way, what is your idea of "inexpensive build"? What is the max you are willing to spend on parts total?

First things first, I'd check out this site: http://pcpartpicker.com
It compares the prices of each part from different sellers (for example: If you picked a particular mouse, it will give you the lowest price from a list of sellers). I'd do your research on parts before choosing. If you're going for gaming, Nvidia tends to outperform AMD video cards and Intel's i5 series of CPUs would be a better choice than AMD's CPUs.

Another thing you might want to check out is this place: http://www.kbmod.com/category/build-guides/
This site does monthly build guides at certain price intervals based on different budgets. Personally, for a realistic build that is meant for just gaming, my budget is $1000, but I have a higher budget for a build that is meant for gaming and recording at the same time (that budget being $2000).
Old April 28, 2013, 03:57:30 PM
Kyurem

Another site to check out: http://www.logicalincrements.com/
I bought my PC using that, and the price range goes all the way from $250 (at which point you're just better off getting a console) all the way to the ridiculous $3200 and above. Gives good benchmarks for the tiers and seems to be updated often.
Old April 28, 2013, 06:09:38 PM
Administrator

If you're interested in AMD APUs (and somebody doesn't buy it first), I'll sell you my AMD-A10 with matching motherboard and 8 gigs of RAM for around $230 + shipping. It can play most modern games at high (not extreme) settings.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; April 28, 2013 at 06:09:48 PM.
Old April 29, 2013, 02:12:00 PM
Charizard

It doesn't really matter what brand. As long as it's a good set of parts. Now that I think about it, price range...it doesn't really matter as long as it isn't insanely expensive or anything.
Old April 30, 2013, 05:59:52 AM
Floatzel

Sorry to tell you, but it's gonna be hard to find good parts that are inexpensive. If you want a good machine, you're gonna have to pay for it.
However, iBuyPower has some more cost-effective models built that you can buy. You're still going to need to spend some cash, but it's probably the cheapest you'll get. (In my experience, at least. Others may disagree)
Old April 30, 2013, 06:16:55 AM
Kyurem

Before I suggest anything, what's your exact laptop model, and what's inside it? That'd give me a nice way to see how much better the system needs to be.
Old April 30, 2013, 12:00:31 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx View Post
Sorry to tell you, but it's gonna be hard to find good parts that are inexpensive. If you want a good machine, you're gonna have to pay for it.
However, iBuyPower has some more cost-effective models built that you can buy. You're still going to need to spend some cash, but it's probably the cheapest you'll get. (In my experience, at least. Others may disagree)
Not quite true. You can have a computer with $500 worth of parts in it and still have pretty good performance rates on most games. Sure, you won't be able to run Battlefield 3 at Ultra settings while running a dual-monitor setup with the second monitor running Tekkit on Minecraft while it auto-mines a quarry, but you'll still be able to run most games at medium-to-high settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Before I suggest anything, what's your exact laptop model, and what's inside it? That'd give me a nice way to see how much better the system needs to be.
If it's a laptop bought from the store that was less than $1000 (which is the average cost of a gaming laptop), everything needs to be better. Your average work laptop cannot handle games very well.
Old April 30, 2013, 12:04:33 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
If it's a laptop bought from the store that was less than $1000 (which is the average cost of a gaming laptop), everything needs to be better. Your average work laptop cannot handle games very well.
Seems like you're a bit out of the loop, then, as I've noticed that it's actually now possible to get decent graphics performance out of non-gaming laptops. There's a reason why I'm asking for the exact model and specifications, as I might be able to think about what to do. Is getting new hardware really that important? I think the answer is yes if you're the type that wants to get out every inch of performance.

Still...

There's no denying that these days, even Ultrahook-class processors and a low-end mmobile GPU ispre than enough for most games. Seeing as it's a very recent computer, and it being a laptop, I need details. It might be bottom of the line, but if the integrated graphics are at least HD 4000-level... That's something I need to consider.

I do also recall some of them lower-end Satellites over here that come with an AMD graphics chip inside, and yet still stick with Intel processors. I guess I'm overthinking things, but for me, it's not enough information

Last edited by Twiggy; April 30, 2013 at 12:07:32 PM.
Old April 30, 2013, 12:42:43 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Seems like you're a bit out of the loop, then, as I've noticed that it's actually now possible to get decent graphics performance out of non-gaming laptops. There's a reason why I'm asking for the exact model and specifications, as I might be able to think about what to do. Is getting new hardware really that important? I think the answer is yes if you're the type that wants to get out every inch of performance.
Alright, let's take a look at a Toshiba Satellite C850D-ST3N01. This is one of the cheaper Satellites you can buy from Toshiba, meant for just general work/school use, which costs about $330 without shipping.
Its GPU? AMD Radeon HD 7310.
According to this page: http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Rad...0.70634.0.html It's a Class 4 GPU which is a pretty low-class compared to the other GPUs on the list.
According to the benchmarks, you'll get very low FPS at even the lowest settings on most games, assuming it manages to work. Also according to the benchmarks, the games will run with such a low FPS, they won't even be playable, or at least, playing them won't be enjoyable.

What about something more powerful and expensive from the Satellite series? In this case, the only one Toshiba decided to give me from the P840 series - The P840T-ST4N02.
The Graphics card (or rather, "Engine" as it says) in this case is "Mobile Intel HD Graphics" which is not helpful at all due to there being multiple Mobile Intel Graphics chips.
Let's assume that it has the most powerful version right now - the Intel HD Graphics 4000. Even with the most powerful mobile Intel HD Graphics in its system, it can't compete with just about all of AMD and Nvidia's current lineup of GeForce and Radeon models. (Source) Price tag on this model? About $1,100 without shipping.

Now look at a build I have dreamed up: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/MopeyJoe/saved/LhY
Take a look at the parts then the price. Without rebates and including shipping, it costs about $910 total and outperforms the P840T mentioned above and is about $200 cheaper. Only thing the laptop has over this desktop is you can take it with you places.

My point is laptops that aren't meant for gaming can barely play games and even ones that are meant for gaming still fall short when compared to desktops. While laptops do have the ability to play games, desktops will always be the better choice for pure gaming.
Old April 30, 2013, 10:50:22 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
Alright, let's take a look at a Toshiba Satellite C850D-ST3N01. This is one of the cheaper Satellites you can buy from Toshiba, meant for just general work/school use, which costs about $330 without shipping.
Its GPU? AMD Radeon HD 7310.
According to this page: http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Rad...0.70634.0.html It's a Class 4 GPU which is a pretty low-class compared to the other GPUs on the list.
According to the benchmarks, you'll get very low FPS at even the lowest settings on most games, assuming it manages to work. Also according to the benchmarks, the games will run with such a low FPS, they won't even be playable, or at least, playing them won't be enjoyable.

What about something more powerful and expensive from the Satellite series? In this case, the only one Toshiba decided to give me from the P840 series - The P840T-ST4N02.
The Graphics card (or rather, "Engine" as it says) in this case is "Mobile Intel HD Graphics" which is not helpful at all due to there being multiple Mobile Intel Graphics chips.
Let's assume that it has the most powerful version right now - the Intel HD Graphics 4000. Even with the most powerful mobile Intel HD Graphics in its system, it can't compete with just about all of AMD and Nvidia's current lineup of GeForce and Radeon models. (Source) Price tag on this model? About $1,100 without shipping.

Now look at a build I have dreamed up: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/MopeyJoe/saved/LhY
Take a look at the parts then the price. Without rebates and including shipping, it costs about $910 total and outperforms the P840T mentioned above and is about $200 cheaper. Only thing the laptop has over this desktop is you can take it with you places.

My point is laptops that aren't meant for gaming can barely play games and even ones that are meant for gaming still fall short when compared to desktops. While laptops do have the ability to play games, desktops will always be the better choice for pure gaming.

Hm. Now to think about it, you're right for the most part. Funny thing, this is possibly more of regional thing since I've noticed that stuff tends to be better over here.

I do have to agree on the part where an equivalent desktop is cheaper than a laptop, though, and I'd certainly suggest one. He might want to take advantage of Cat's deal (I hope Fuzzles won't mind missing it).