Yes, I still do, but I'm going to update soon. 0 0%
No, but other family members still have it. 2 16.67%
No, there's nobody in the house still using XP regularly. 9 75.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old February 1, 2014, 12:20:10 PM
Administrator

Default Who's still running Windows XP?

With the end-of-life date only two months away, is there anyone here still running Windows XP on any systems? If so, why? What about family members, and do you still support their computer problems?

Personally, all of my systems have been off Windows XP for a long time, but I jumped on Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 almost as soon as they became available. Thanks to Microsoft Dreamspark (a program by Microsoft that gives free software to students), I have enough licenses of Windows OSes later than XP that I shouldn't need to run it ever again. Of course, I do still have Windows 2000 on a backup laptop, which is worse.

As for other computers with XP, here's what we've got:
  • My dad's studio desktop - It's for music software, and it remains disconnected from the Internet to avoid viruses and such, thus this computer isn't a problem.
  • My step-mom's backup laptop - It almost never gets used, so it's not worth upgrading.
  • My grandma's laptop - She's getting a new laptop soon anyway.

One looming threat I've heard from many tech websites is that a lot of the hackers have been withholding information on major security holes until after support is dropped. That way Microsoft can't patch anything. I wouldn't want to be around for that.
Old February 1, 2014, 12:32:34 PM
Giratina

One of my old laptops that I still have runs XP. I use it occasionally because it holds some files that I still need from it, mostly music. It's like my little big portable flash drive There's no need in updating it because we have better computers all over the house, and it'd be a waste to purchase a new key to update this old thing. But it was my first laptop, so it has nostalgia value for me that I can't throw away.
Old February 1, 2014, 12:43:25 PM
Administrator

We have one system in the house still on XP, but it's just used for web surfing only so doesn't need OS upgrade.
Old February 1, 2014, 12:46:17 PM
Rayquaza

We have 9 working computers/lap tops in my house.

2 of them are in the basement one Macintosh from 1993 and a XP from 2003 both haven't been used in over five years.

The other computer in the house that has Windows XP was originally a Windows 98 but got updated and the only reason it's still used in my house is because it has a special program my Dad uses.
Old February 2, 2014, 05:37:36 AM
Haxorus

I have a 7-year-old computer in my office with Windows XP that I don't use as much anymore since I got a new laptop for Christmas, but my younger sister is now currently using it.

Though in the poll I voted that i wont ever update it, id more say that I dont have the ability to update since there is no reason to since we are thinking about getting rid of it once my sister gets her own laptop. But honestly, even after all of these years Windows XP on that computer works pretty decently and can load some programs pretty quickly (compared to the computers at my schools who even have Windows 7).
Old February 2, 2014, 06:55:42 AM
Kyurem

I've actually just installed Windows 7 on a downgraded-to-XP laptop a few days ago using its own COA for the product key to bring it to the present day with regard to support.

The laptop feels like a new new laptop
Old February 2, 2014, 11:05:16 AM
Rayquaza

What are the odds this video of corrupting a Windows XP got posted the same day as this thread.
Old February 6, 2014, 01:51:03 PM
Charizard

All of the computers in my home runs 7 now. The last PC that had XP was my old HP laptop but I upgraded that to 7 about 2 months ago. The old laptop actually runs Win7 pretty good but I still plan on getting a new laptop soon.
Old March 5, 2014, 09:29:36 PM
Kyurem

Apparently, Microsoft is going to drive the point home with notifications that their operating system is going out of support starting March 8. (Something tells me that we'll still be stuck with too many XP PCs...)
Old March 5, 2014, 09:38:31 PM
Keldeo

XP was a glorious operating system. My whole family's moved on to 7, 8 and 8.1 long ago, but part of me wishes I was still on XP. It had a couple weird issues (.zip files say hello) but it was lightweight - if configured with minimal spyware, it could get down to something like 100MB of RAM, while 7 and 8 easily use 20X that out of the box - and was as about as graphically simple as you could be while still being a GUI.

For better or for worse, technology is flying as fast as possible in the opposite direction. I miss XP . . .