Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Artwork, Music, and Fan-Fiction

Notices

Search this Thread
Old October 14, 2010, 05:52:28 PM
Regigigas

Default AuraKshatriya`s Subtitling Thread

Well, there doesn`t seem to be much discussion on the topic, but with regards to anime, subtitles typically play a vital role for people who don`t understand Japanese. My intent with making this thread is basically for it to serve as an area where people can ask for tips on subtitling, basic knowledge or explanations on the subject, and more. I may also make an attempt at recruiting some members for various Pokemon-related projects if I get the time and the permission to do so.

So post away!
Old October 15, 2010, 03:48:11 AM
Giratina

Will you subtitle a specific episode of the animé upon request? Or is this thread only dedicated for asking about subtitling and how it's done?
Old October 15, 2010, 05:35:11 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Will you subtitle a specific episode of the animé upon request? Or is this thread only dedicated for asking about subtitling and how it's done?
Both, sort of. I could subtitle specific episodes, but with my time constraints, I wouldn`t be able to complete it for a while, especially if I intend to add karaoke effects for the intro and ending. If this thread draws significant enough interest that there are at least a few people who are able to and interested in handling each job involved in making a hardsub, then yeah, I`d probably just start taking requests. If it`s something really short, than I could probably just do it on my own (episode previews are usually pretty simple, depending on the amount of dialogue and encoding time, they take about half an hour to an hour to finish up).

If I split all the roles up, the main ones would probably be:

1)Translation (Obviously the most essential part)
2)Capping (Refers to the actual recording of an episode or clip in high quality/high definition)
3)Timing (Also very important, requires large amounts of specificity to perfectly match the dialogue`s time)
4)Karaoke (Generally an extra, but it`s a nice finishing touch if there`s an opening and/or ending, as a song with lyrics playing mid-way through the episode, such as when Moukazaru/Monferno evolved)
5)Effect Templates (Basically determines the actual effects added to either regular or karaoke subtitles. Making them requires large amounts of math, so usually they`re derived from pre-existing sources)

Once all of this has been done, it`s saved as one file, and encoded onto the actual video itself, which can then be uploaded to a media viewing site or download site, etc for viewing. The last episode I subtitled completely was the episode where Ash battled Flint to convince Volkner to accept his challenge. It took me about two days, but only because most of the dialogue was composed of battle commands, and I had basically two full days worth of time to work on them and nothing else.

Last edited by AuraKshatriya; October 15, 2010 at 05:42:38 PM.