Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games > Tournaments

Notices

Search this Thread
Old January 31, 2012, 02:59:43 PM
Volcarona

Default February Mario Kart 7 Tournament - Discussion

Hello. With a good amount of members having got their hands on Mario Kart 7 on and around Christmas, I feel as though we should try a tournament for it. I am to co-host this tournament with AnimeHiHamtaro. Remember, this is not a sign-up thread, it is for discussion only.

RULES
- This will be single elimination within the forum's community. (Community code can be found here)
- A chatroom will be set up to make sure it all goes smoothly.
- The Maka Wuhu glitch shortcut is BANNED.

There are the basic rules for this tournament. Prizes are to be VRAC based, but are unknown at this time. It is to take place on the last Sunday in February, which is the 26th. This is so that I can be around to make sure everything goes smoothly as I am busy on Saturdays.

RULES EDITS:1

Last edited by isbragg; January 31, 2012 at 03:24:02 PM.
Old January 31, 2012, 03:06:58 PM
Administrator

Hmm, I don't think if having the most points over a two hour span is fair since not everyone can just play for two hours straight. The winner would essentially just be who has the most free time and doesn't have to do anything else as opposed to who actually is the "best" racer.

Then again, I don't know how we can really have old-fashioned bracket racing because you can't just connect with certain people over Wi-Fi (why did they take that out, the Wii version had it fine)

Last edited by Yoshi648; January 31, 2012 at 03:10:42 PM.
Old January 31, 2012, 03:09:29 PM
Giratina

Instead of having the winner be determined on who has the most points in the community, I say the winner should be based on several rounds of elimination play. It could be 4 people vs each other and whoever wins moves on in the round. Or if that can't be the case (due to lack of participants), it could be 1v1 for a few rounds until a winner is decided.

A community points-based tournament would be unfair to those who don't have as much free time as others in the tournament. That's why the elimination play is better for people on tight schedules.
Old January 31, 2012, 03:12:25 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
Instead of having the winner be determined on who has the most points in the community, I say the winner should be based on several rounds of elimination play. It could be 4 people vs each other and whoever wins moves on in the round. Or if that can't be the case (due to lack of participants), it could be 1v1 for a few rounds until a winner is decided.

A community points-based tournament would be unfair to those who don't have as much free time as others in the tournament. That's why the elimination play is better for people on tight schedules.
As Yoshi said, bracket-style single elimination is not possible on Mario Kart 7 due to how online play works in MK7. I do realize it's unfair, but what are we to do. I would like to know when on the 26th people can play so I can find a good time to have it go down.

Last edited by isbragg; January 31, 2012 at 03:17:15 PM.
Old January 31, 2012, 03:15:26 PM
Administrator

The only other thing I can think if is if brackets race in the Community one at a time. Ex: Bracket A races in there first, then Bracket B enters and races when they are done, etc. It will take a little bit of time to give everyone the chance to race, but at least there is down time for people who have other stuff to take care of.

Last edited by Yoshi648; January 31, 2012 at 03:17:18 PM.
Old January 31, 2012, 03:19:31 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
The only other thing I can think if is if brackets race in the Community one at a time. Ex: Bracket A races in there first, then Bracket B enters and races when they are done, etc. It will take a little bit of time to give everyone the chance to race, but at least there is down time for people who have other stuff to take care of.
Not a bad idea. I like it. A chat room to make sure a race is happening before another race starts could be set up.
Old January 31, 2012, 06:26:48 PM
Volcarona

The thing with Mario Kart is that the tournaments are very simple to set up, so there aren't a lot of things to be decided upon (banned characters, tracks, etc.) My only worry for this is if an odd number of people show up for tounament day.