Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > The Media

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 12, 2012, 11:20:24 PM

Default NFL and College Football Discussion Thread

What's this? A thread about sports?

I've noticed that there has been a lack of sports talk around the forum, and I don't know if that's because such few members of VR actually watch sports or because sports discussion isn't the norm around here. Anyways, I myself am I huge fan of all things football, so I would like to see who else on VR is too.

Whether it's NCAA Division I or the National Football League, I always watch football when the season comes around and even go to a game every chance I get. So basically, this thread is for anyone who wishes to express who their favorite players and teams are, and to spur healthy debate as the football season progresses and teams develop win/loss records. I also would love to see this thread pick up momentum during the Heisman race in college football.

Here is an example of a post I would love to see: "I think Tony Romo is a quality quarterback and has the potential to lead the Cowboys to the SuperBowl this year."

Here is what I WILL NOT tolerate: "Redskins suck! GO COWBOYS!" I want mature opinions, not hateful bashing of other teams. Posting such dribble will result in an infraction.

Last edited by Cyrus; July 12, 2012 at 11:27:18 PM.
Old July 12, 2012, 11:34:28 PM
Giratina

Oh, yes. Soo with Tebow on the Jets.. I'm not sure wether that's an advantage or disadvantage... I mean I LOVE TEBOW, I'm alright with the Jets but... I think what the Jets really need is a good quarterback. Tebow, I mean he wins games. He's an amazing sport. But the Jets can't win without a REAL quarterback. Tebow would be a better runningback then a quarterback at times. Sanchez, no. Just no. He's just... He disappoints me a lot. But idk, maybe the Jets will do better this year
Old July 12, 2012, 11:40:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTOMxTRAINER View Post
Oh, yes. Soo with Tebow on the Jets.. I'm not sure wether that's an advantage or disadvantage... I mean I LOVE TEBOW, I'm alright with the Jets but... I think what the Jets really need is a good quarterback. Tebow, I mean he wins games. He's an amazing sport. But the Jets can't win without a REAL quarterback. Tebow would be a better runningback then a quarterback at times. Sanchez, no. Just no. He's just... He disappoints me a lot. But idk, maybe the Jets will do better this year
Ohh yes, Timmy Tebow, arguably the most polarizing figure in all of sports. I agree that he makes a much better runningback given his skillset. Yeah, he won games as a starter playing for the Broncos, but everyone seems to overlook that Denver had a good defense and played a weak schedule. For what it's worth, I like the guy, I wish him well.

As for Sanchez, ugh...talk about overrated. Much like Tebow with the Broncos, Sanchez has been lucky to have such a great defense backing him up. People love to brag "Sanchez lead the Jets to two straight AFC Championship games". While that is indeed impressive, it's nothing to take into great consideration since the Jets' defensive unit has been great for the past years.

I really think that if Sanchez has another subpar year this upcoming season statistically, drop him like a bad habit and get someone else to start, whether that means drafting a guy out of college or signing someone in free agency.
Old July 13, 2012, 08:46:50 AM
Giratina

Thank you. Yes, THE JETS' BIGGEST ADVANTAGE IS THEIR DEFENSE. It's what gets them by.. I mean but you got great guys on there like Revis Island (Favorite player on the jets), but that's all. Honestly, the Jets need a GOOD quarterback..

Another thing- NOOOOOO WHY DOES MANNINGHAM HAVE TO LEAVE THE GIANTS?! Well, it was a great way to finish off that contract of his with that season. I mean the superbowl and everything, THE GIANTS ARE GEEZUS.
Old July 13, 2012, 12:51:37 PM

Quote:
Thank you. Yes, THE JETS' BIGGEST ADVANTAGE IS THEIR DEFENSE. It's what gets them by.. I mean but you got great guys on there like Revis Island (Favorite player on the jets), but that's all. Honestly, the Jets need a GOOD quarterback..

Another thing- NOOOOOO WHY DOES MANNINGHAM HAVE TO LEAVE THE GIANTS?! Well, it was a great way to finish off that contract of his with that season. I mean the superbowl and everything, THE GIANTS ARE GEEZUS.
Well, I guess the Giants didn't have enough cap space to re-sign him. Don't worry though, the Giants still have Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks. I think that's a great WR duo. I'm happy to see Manningham sign with the 49ers, hopefully he can be the 1,000 yard receiver they haven't had in a long time.

Last edited by Cyrus; July 13, 2012 at 12:52:00 PM.
Old July 13, 2012, 01:27:29 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
Well, I guess the Giants didn't have enough cap space to re-sign him. Don't worry though, the Giants still have Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks. I think that's a great WR duo. I'm happy to see Manningham sign with the 49ers, hopefully he can be the 1,000 yard receiver they haven't had in a long time.
Oh yes, Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz. Also, paired with a great QB too. Eli is amazing! He's definitely one of the main reasons the Giants were carried to the Super Bowl That and a great coach. TOM COUGHLIN (Is that how you spell it?). He's doing a great job
Old July 13, 2012, 01:39:56 PM

Quote:
Oh yes, Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz. Also, paired with a great QB too. Eli is amazing! He's definitely one of the main reasons the Giants were carried to the Super Bowl That and a great coach. TOM COUGHLIN (Is that how you spell it?). He's doing a great job
Yeah, Coughlin is a Hall of Fame coach, no question. Two SuperBowl rings kinda speaks for itself.

Going to switch up the topic here: got any thoughts/predictions about college football?
Old July 13, 2012, 11:16:45 PM
Mudkip

Quote:
Yeah, Coughlin is a Hall of Fame coach, no question. Two SuperBowl rings kinda speaks for itself.

Going to switch up the topic here: got any thoughts/predictions about college football?
I can't really say anything about predictions right now. I would have to wait until the football season begins. The only season I've been watching is NASCAR XD. My thoughts though about college football is different. I do enjoy watching the NCAA since there are a lot of teams going for the top spot. The only prediction I can think of is that at least one SEC team is going to be in the top 5 when the season is over. It usually happens.
Old July 13, 2012, 11:19:40 PM
Regigigas

I'll admit now to absolutely having no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to off-season discussion of any sport EVER. I'm interested to see how this season goes, but I'm honestly going to be scarce around here until the actual season starts.
Old July 13, 2012, 11:20:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokemonGameMaster44 View Post
I can't really say anything about predictions right now. I would have to wait until the football season begins. The only season I've been watching is NASCAR XD. My thoughts though about college football is different. I do enjoy watching the NCAA since there are a lot of teams going for the top spot. The only prediction I can think of is that at least one SEC team is going to be in the top 5 when the season is over. It usually happens.
Usually? That's putting it lightly. An SEC team has represented one half of the National Championship game for like what, 5 or 6 years straight? That's definitely a safe prediction to say the least. Do you have any predictions for who you think in the SEC will be in the BCS National Championship game this year, supposing an SEC team plays for it? I personally think Alabama has too much depth defensively to be stopped, so they have a good chance of repeating this year.
Old July 13, 2012, 11:24:40 PM
Mudkip

Quote:
Usually? That's putting it lightly. An SEC team has represented one half of the National Championship game for like what, 5 or 6 years straight? That's definitely a safe prediction to say the least. Do you have any predictions for who you think in the SEC will be in the BCS National Championship game this year, supposing an SEC team plays for it? I personally think Alabama has too much depth defensively to be stopped, so they have a good chance of repeating this year.
Alabama is definitely a safe bet. They've been good for years now. I'm possibly considering Florida but I'm not really sure. The other spot can go to anyone really. Oregon was in it I think last year idk I can't remember.
Old September 5, 2012, 08:30:31 AM

*bump*

I figured now is as good of a time as ever to try and revive this thread, seeing as how the first regular season NFL game is tonight - the defending SuperBowl Champion New York Giants vs. Dallas Cowboys.

I probably could have attempted a revival of this thread when the college football season officially started a couple days ago, but I chose to wait until today. Sooo I guess I'll try and get some discussion going here, and hope at least someone chooses to partake.

What matches for Week 1 in the NFL will you be paying attention to? I'm eager to see Peyton Manning's return to action ever since he missed all of last season with his recovery neck injury, so I'll be watching the Denver Broncos vs. Pittsburgh Steelers.

Last edited by Cyrus; September 5, 2012 at 08:32:23 AM.
Old September 5, 2012, 02:43:43 PM
Giratina

Definitely that Giants game! I'm excited to see them play once again!! I recently bought Madden 13 and I usually only play as the Giants Definitely by far my favorite team.. Oh and RG III on the Redskins.. I might have to be a part redskins fan.
Old September 5, 2012, 03:37:12 PM

Quote:
Definitely that Giants game! I'm excited to see them play once again!! I recently bought Madden 13 and I usually only play as the Giants Definitely by far my favorite team.. Oh and RG III on the Redskins.. I might have to be a part redskins fan.
I'll be paying close attention to both RG III and Andrew Luck's debuts as well. I'm still a bit surprised that rookie QB Russel Wilson won the starting job for the Seattle Seahawks since it seemed like for the longest time Matt Flynn was going to be the starter. As for the Giants vs. Cowboys game, I'm getting a bag of popcorn ready because it starts in less than an hour!
Old September 9, 2012, 02:15:55 PM
Volcarona

Well, I just saw David Akers tie an NFL record by making a 63-yard field goal against the Packers, making him the 4th person to do it (Tom Dempsey, Jason Elam, Sebastian Janikowski). I must say, when it hit the bottom crossbar, the crowd of Lambeau Field just had all of their hearts skip a beat.

Last edited by ThePokeMan; September 9, 2012 at 02:21:37 PM.
Old September 9, 2012, 02:20:25 PM
Giratina

Well.. The jets killed today! Too bad Tebow didn't get to play I was really hoping he would get his chance. And OMG NO. MY GIANTS</3 THEY LOST... I'm definitely a bit dissapointed by that one...

Like TPM said; David Akers is a boss, I think he's the best kicker in the league..
Old September 9, 2012, 02:23:07 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Well.. The jets killed today! Too bad Tebow didn't get to play
I actually heard that Tebow came in for the first play as a slot reciever, but I didn't hear much after that...
Old September 9, 2012, 02:32:32 PM

I'm currently watching my Carolina Panthers trying to rally from behind to win against the Buccaneers. Cam Newton seems to be having an off day, though...

Andrew Luck's debut was...unimpressive. Now I know he's a rookie, and this is his first full NFL game...and yes, I saw some great throws from him. But he just had that "scared rookie" look to me against the Bears. The Colts ended up losing by about 20, but even if Luck had played better they still probably would have lost. The Colts aren't just a complete team, while Chicago is in my opinion.

I was thoroughly impressed with the debut of RG III. His first offensive drive was a perfect 6-6 passing for about 30 something yards, which was a good way to start out a rookie like him - short and accurate passing plays to build confidence. And then on his next drive...BAM, a long pass play across the middle of the field that went for a TD. And this was all in the 1st quarter! He played an amazing debut game, and to everyones surprise, beat the Saints AT THE SUPERDOME. This kid has got major poise.

Last edited by Cyrus; September 9, 2012 at 02:33:39 PM.
Old September 9, 2012, 02:33:19 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePokeMan View Post
I actually heard that Tebow came in for the first play as a slot reciever, but I didn't hear much after that...
Yeah, he came in for a bit.. but all he really did was protect and things like that.
Old September 9, 2012, 02:56:17 PM
Regigigas

My packers are still playing right now I think though they might be done I don't have the channel at my moms house.

Last edited by john-li; September 9, 2012 at 02:56:48 PM.
Old February 2, 2013, 05:44:01 PM
Giratina

It seems like a great time to bump this;

Who do you want to win the Superbowl this year?: Ravens or 49'ers?
Old February 2, 2013, 05:55:16 PM

Quote:
It seems like a great time to bump this;

Who do you want to win the Superbowl this year?: Ravens or 49'ers?
Oh yes, the most exciting sports day of the year for me (and millions of others), the Super Bowl! I'm torn between the teams this year, both are very good and deserving of having gotten this far...but my gut is saying Ravens. They've defeated both the Broncos and the Patriots, both teams who were favored over the Ravens. And once again, most people are picking the 49ers as the "favorites". The Ravens seem to thrive on not being favored, so that's why I'm going to pick them to win. I won't be surprised though if it's a close game. Recent Super Bowls have been very tight contests.
Old February 2, 2013, 06:03:14 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Oh yes, the most exciting sports day of the year for me (and millions of others), the Super Bowl! I'm torn between the teams this year, both are very good and deserving of having gotten this far...but my gut is saying Ravens. They've defeated both the Broncos and the Patriots, both teams who were favored over the Ravens. And once again, most people are picking the 49ers as the "favorites". The Ravens seem to thrive on not being favored, so that's why I'm going to pick them to win. I won't be surprised though if it's a close game. Recent Super Bowls have been very tight contests.
Plus, this year is a very interesting one! A battle between brothers. Also, a lot of people seem to like the Ravens for Ray Louis' sake. It kind of sucks that he is retiring after this game... I hope he goes out with a bang.
Old February 2, 2013, 08:16:02 PM
Rayquaza

Had a dream earlier this week, 49ers 30 Ravens 42.

Ravens will win by getting ahead by scoring two touchdowns in the final quarter.

Last edited by Magmaster12; February 2, 2013 at 08:17:16 PM.
Old February 3, 2013, 05:06:03 AM
Volcarona

Here's what the official EA Sports Madden NFL simulation has to say.

Old February 3, 2013, 08:19:08 AM
Giratina

What's worse than having to go to a Super Bowl party when you don't like football? Having something important and fun you wanted to do that you can't anymore. Even worse? Disliking everyone at the place you're going to. This might actually be my first bad day since 2013 started. Ah well, nothing beats a good Super Bowl commercial. C'mon, Doritos, show me what you got!
Old February 3, 2013, 08:41:20 AM
Kyurem

Funny how not living in America means that I don't know, or care, about the Super Bowl.
Old February 3, 2013, 02:34:54 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Funny how not living in America means that I don't know, or care, about the Super Bowl.
The Super Bowl is just the final game of American Football (or "Hand-egg" as it's less commonly known as) for the season. Not sure why it gets as much attention as it does.
Old February 3, 2013, 02:46:16 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
Not sure why it gets as much attention as it does.
Football is pretty much the national sport. It's that time where people get together, eat snacks, and watch the half-time show (commercials for me.) Similar to, like, 4th of July parties.
Old February 3, 2013, 03:23:27 PM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
Football is pretty much the national sport. It's that time where people get together, eat snacks, and watch the half-time show (commercials for me.) Similar to, like, 4th of July parties.
It's the result of the held in energy from us not caring about Soccer like other country do.
Old February 3, 2013, 03:35:47 PM
Administrator

I dunno, I know some people who get so crazy about football (or play fantasy football) and will scream at the TV when their team loses.
Old February 3, 2013, 05:25:07 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
I would think hockey would get just as much attention considering it's an international sport, but it barely gets half as much attention. What makes American Football so American anyway? The fact that it's not actually football when looking at it from an international level?

Oh, for the record, my prediction on who will win the Super Bowl tonight is any TV Station that is broadcasting it because of all the ad revenue they will rake in. How many people watch the Super Bowl for the actual game?

Last edited by Quadcentruo; February 3, 2013 at 05:28:14 PM.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:07:55 PM

Well, the game is over - The Baltimore Ravens defeat the San Francisco 49ers, with a final score of 34 - 31.

It was a very exciting game, but only for the second half of the contest. The first half was all Baltimore, as they lead 21 - 6 at halftime, and even extended that lead 28 - 6 after returning the opening kickoff to the second half for a touchdown. Despite this huge deficit, the 49ers rallied and made it close, and even had chances to take the lead.

The most shocking part of the game though, wasn't a play or a call on the field by the refs, but of all things the lights going out in the stadium! Right after the Ravens got that second half kickoff return TD, most of the lights went out, as well as the scoreboard. The game was delayed about 35 minutes. A power outage at the SuperBowl...just when you think you've seen it all. Wow. xD

I enjoyed watching this SuperBowl more than any other previous one, only SuperBowl 42 was more exciting for me.

Last edited by Cyrus; February 3, 2013 at 08:08:29 PM.
Old February 4, 2013, 02:45:34 AM
Giratina

Well that was an electrified game!.... for the most part Oh my gosh, I can only imagine the memes that come out of this game! But I am extremely happy about this outcome! The Ravens had it from the beginning, but it got so exciting with the comeback. I really thought the 49'ers would come back, but Kaepernick just really messed up on that 2 point conversion. Oh my, what a game. And the best part for me was, my dad won his Super Bowl Pool betting thing, all because of that safety that happened at the end!!! That must have messed up SOOOOO many pools, but my dad won it all because of that play. $1010 in his pocket by this morning at work. (I'm getting $10 of that and that's enough for me xD)
Old February 4, 2013, 06:44:08 PM
Volcarona

The game was very exciting even though I didn't watch until about half way to the game. For the first time ever, I find the actual game more interesting than the ads (which I usually watch for them and the half time show). Both teams play their best and I am impressed the way the 49ers comeback. I thought for a moment they would win.

Then again, I tend to do something else when there's a commercial break and (not to mention there's a lot of commercials airing when the power outage came). There was one car ad for Ram and it was so long. I didn't watch too many commercials because I go on the computer and the ads were forgettable in my opinion. The only commercial I remember is the Bud Light ad with Steve Wonder.

Last edited by Kirby-Chan; February 4, 2013 at 06:45:47 PM.