Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > PokéNews
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

PokéNews Non-staff should post news on Pokémon General.

Search this Thread
Old July 20, 2010, 01:26:34 PM
Administrator

Default Beckett Media Sued by The Pokémon Company International

The Pokémon Company International sued Beckett Media, known for Beckett Unofficial Pokémon Collector, for upwards to $75,000 for publishing unauthorized scans of trading cards from several recent sets and using graphics in order to gain a profit through commissions.

Former PokéZam (previous location of Crystal Islands) owner, Alakazam (Sean Cooper), is an editor for Beckett Unofficial Pokémon Collector.

Sources:
Courthouse News
Bulbapedia: TPCi files lawsuit against popular magazine publisher

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; July 20, 2010 at 04:56:53 PM.
Old July 20, 2010, 03:26:29 PM
Volcarona

Ouch, 75,000 dollars. o.o
Old July 20, 2010, 03:34:55 PM
Charizard

I subscribe to the magazine and I find this dissapointing, but at least we have Bulbanews for the "Real life Pokemon" article, under the name "On the Origins of Pokemon" (so far, none of the Pokemon origins Beckett reviewed are ones that Bulbanews reviewed, but most of us know about Ninetales origins anyways) , and we have Serebii for getting the latest news from Japan, for the cards, there is okebeach and various TCG forums

I mean seriously, first, Viacom sues Youtube over copyrighted content, then various Manga Publishers take down Mangafox for the same reason, now THIS, sheesh, this year has been filled with copyright nazis suing the crap out of everything, what's next, Family Guy getting sued for the pop-culture it has referenced or parodied (free-domain my butt!)!?

Last edited by Masterge77; July 20, 2010 at 03:35:18 PM.
Old July 20, 2010, 04:55:34 PM
Charizard

Oh ****! I immediately thought of Sean (and I talk with him often there) when I saw the headline of this story. I suspect his job is done there.
Old July 20, 2010, 06:05:15 PM
Haxorus

Yech... That's a helluva fine.

I wonder how many times he's gonna have to hit The Elite Four to bring up that kinda cash...
Old July 20, 2010, 07:37:41 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterge77 View Post
I subscribe to the magazine and I find this dissapointing, but at least we have Bulbanews for the "Real life Pokemon" article, under the name "On the Origins of Pokemon" (so far, none of the Pokemon origins Beckett reviewed are ones that Bulbanews reviewed, but most of us know about Ninetales origins anyways) , and we have Serebii for getting the latest news from Japan, for the cards, there is okebeach and various TCG forums

I mean seriously, first, Viacom sues Youtube over copyrighted content, then various Manga Publishers take down Mangafox for the same reason, now THIS, sheesh, this year has been filled with copyright nazis suing the crap out of everything, what's next, Family Guy getting sued for the pop-culture it has referenced or parodied (free-domain my butt!)!?
Keep in mind this is because the magazine is profiting from Nintendo's copyrights, where most fan sites aren't.
Old July 20, 2010, 08:29:23 PM
Keldeo

copyright has gotten too ugly nowadays, an evil that is necessary and shouldn't be highly enforced, if that person claims that property as their own that isn't legally theirs, they are committing fraud, which is a felony here in the USA.

Last edited by JC; July 20, 2010 at 08:29:58 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old July 21, 2010, 04:24:13 AM
Rayquaza

Quite expected from a large company.
Old July 21, 2010, 06:00:04 AM
Charizard

Exclamation

I do not mean to change the subject, but do you remember the So Bad It's Good Megaman cartoon from Ruby Spears, do you know why it was cancelled, not because of low ratings as most people believe, but because of copyright nazis, while RS did have the rights from Capcom.... OF JAPAN THAT IS, Capcom of America wouldn't let it fly, this is because in Japan, Megaman is called "Rockman", and since Capcom of America owns all rights to the name "Megaman", the show was canned, AND RIGHT BEFORE THE THIRD SEASON COULD AIR AT THAT. This is one of the reasons why copyright nazis are such butts

Either way, by the looks of it, the third season would have been a little less corny and introduce a story arc, in it, Protoman would switch sides, and all the Robot Masters that did not appear in the series would appear, including all eight of the recently released at the time Megaman 6 Robot Masters

This is just ONE of the many things copyright nazis have done to popular franchises like this one, and apparently, Pokemon has now fallen victim to it as well.....

Last edited by Masterge77; July 21, 2010 at 10:18:26 AM.
Old July 21, 2010, 11:40:55 AM
Pikachu

this whole month has been full of copyright crap

First NCS, Chuggaa, others get suspended for false copyright claims and now this?
Old July 25, 2010, 02:31:51 AM
Giratina

Wow, a $75,000 fine is quite a lot.
Old July 26, 2010, 05:15:55 PM
Zoroark

Anyone remember when the 2nd gen was brand new, those really horrible pictures they had of them that appeared in like every issue? They were funny.
Old July 27, 2010, 11:03:40 AM
Landorus

Too bad I don't know what the heck BM is.
Old July 29, 2010, 11:08:59 AM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rederci939 View Post
this whole month has been full of copyright crap

First NCS, Chuggaa, others get suspended for false copyright claims and now this?
Those are not the only things that happened that have involved copyrighted material, Mangafox was sued by various manga-liscensing companies for copyright, then a girl is silenced for singing a song for charity

This whole month has been nothing but people getting sued for copyright, the only good thing it has brought us is that Viacom has lost the lawsuit against Youtube, and that's the only GOOD thing that has happened this month, everything else is this copyright bullcrap, and if it's not copyright, it's our idiot politics and the oil spill instead!

Last edited by Masterge77; July 29, 2010 at 11:09:11 AM.