Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you do a wipe and reinstall on your system?
Yes. 3 33.33%
No. 6 66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old February 26, 2012, 05:21:54 AM
Kyurem

Default Do you do a wipe and reinstall on your system?

Sometimes when your computer is bogged down by so much, it's easier to just start over and wipe everything (after backing up anything, of course).

I do it when I notice that I really, really need the speed back. Sometimes the computer just kinda... slows into a crawl under normal usage. It's a way to get things back to normalcy, though it also takes more effort than usual.
Old February 26, 2012, 06:28:31 AM
Administrator

Yeah, I usually wind up doing that once a year or so. Back up all my data, re-install OS, and then re-install programs only as I need them.
Old February 27, 2012, 03:33:15 AM
Linoone

I've thought about doing that, but seeing as the main machine that I use is shared by my dad and I, (two separate users), and noting how many files he has of his own on the C: drive, that probably wouldn't be on the top ten list of the smartest ideas I've ever had.
Old March 7, 2012, 06:03:54 PM
Giratina

I've had my computer for 3 years or so and the speed drop has been negative... so it's actually gotten faster. Whenever I noticed a drop in speed, I investigate the cause of that drop and solve it right then and there. I have yet to find an issue that I haven't been able to solve on the spot.

Long story short, no. I don't wipe and reinstall. Also, I don't have a way to backup my programs (unfortunately).
Old March 8, 2012, 03:41:16 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcentruo View Post
I've had my computer for 3 years or so and the speed drop has been negative... so it's actually gotten faster. Whenever I noticed a drop in speed, I investigate the cause of that drop and solve it right then and there. I have yet to find an issue that I haven't been able to solve on the spot.

Long story short, no. I don't wipe and reinstall. Also, I don't have a way to backup my programs (unfortunately).
Teehee~ I bought a 1TB external drive precisely for backup purposes. Now I don't have to lose huge amount of stuff everyone I have to do a wipe and restore.
Old March 8, 2012, 10:59:40 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Teehee~ I bought a 1TB external drive precisely for backup purposes. Now I don't have to lose huge amount of stuff everyone I have to do a wipe and restore.
You see, I would love to get a 1TB external specifically for backup purposes, but I can't afford such a thing because I don't have a job. That will be one of the things I buy when I get enough money to buy all the parts I want to make a better computer.

I'm just hoping my current HDD doesn't crash on me before I get a backup hard drive.
Old March 8, 2012, 12:28:03 PM
Charizard

I do it once a year. But normally I will just look for programs to remove that I don't use anymore or will never use, and delete some files that are useless as well. Then I turn it off and turn it back on and it is better and faster than before.
(I know it sounds stupid and stuff, but that's just how I do it.)
Old March 9, 2012, 02:41:55 PM
Pikachu

I don't wipe my drives clean, but I do reinstall my operating system, mostly do I have one partition for my downloads and documents and another partition for the operating system and games.

Basically, I use partitions as I have no backup drives.
Old March 9, 2012, 10:15:50 PM
Zoroark

I avoid that as much as I possibly can and solve most of my problems with system restore, norton ghost, or google and forums. I haven't reinstalled in 2 1/2 years and that's only because I put Windows 7 on as soon as I got my paws on it!