Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Information Kiosk > Announcements

Notices

Old November 23, 2017, 01:07:28 AM
Administrator

Red face The End of the Line for Victory Road

Next week marks the 11th anniversary of Victory Road. It’s certainly been a long journey of friendships, antagonisms, and programming adventures.

It is with a wave of emotions that I must finally retire Victory Road. I have a great amount of nostalgia for this place through my final high school years, all of college, and the first few years in the workforce.

Timeline

For me, this site was originally about taking a shot at running a community. I originally lurked around GameFAQs and enjoyed the prospect of a gaming-oriented forum. I gravitated towards a small board oriented around the development of a Wonder Mail generator for the original Pokémon Mystery Dungeon titles. In November 2006, I decided to spin up a forum of my own on the same service, but after a single user joined (Yoshi648) I let it rot. When the Mario Paint Composer bug bit, I joined the budding Mario Paint Hangout and built a few friendships. I quickly became an administrator, which made me yearn for running my own forum (again).

In the summer of 2008, I reinstated my own forum (creatively, the “Buizel.Net Forums”), invited a few folks, and promoted a few staff members. Within a few months, we had a solid community of a couple dozen members before I moved the Buizel.Net Forums over to a self-hosted phpBB installation. It wasn’t long until the activity really began to pick up as people wanted a smaller, looser forum to discuss Pokémon, healthy debates, and whatever else folks had on their mind. I had also started streaming video games, mostly Pokémon and Mario stuff.

By the following summer, I had renamed the site and forum to “Floatzel.Net,” and by the end of the 2009 had changed out the software to vBulletin and renamed the site “Victory Road.” We were also having tournaments for the fourth generation Pokémon games, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Mario Kart Wii almost every month. This was when the site got a proper chat, a flaky virtual adoption board, and a topsites listing. I’d also started working on the Victorydex project. Through the midst of all this, I had to try out different VPS hosting providers who oversold their systems until I got a dedicated server from HiVelocity.

Several staff members from the former PokéZam had helped with building projects, with FreezeWarp joining the administration and development staff. Within time, he took over development of the Victorydex, rebuilt the chat system, and made significant progress towards making a full-fledged game out of the idea of adoptions (which he named VictoryBattles). Another ‘Zam staffer, Shadow, brought us the Victory Road Gym League, where the best battlers of the forum could become Gym Leaders and give out badges to the victors. Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver hype was in full swing, and the users kept coming to trade and battle. With that activity also came some spammers and other users who kept the moderators on their toes. As Pokémon Black and White took over my full attention, much of the maintenance work turned to the moderators, but overall the community remained stable.

Over the next several years, we even started our own Minecraft server, which proved to be a constant headache as plugins updated at different paces while various bugs caused memory leaks and server crashes. On top of that, we had the arcade where you could play simple Flash games and record your high scores, the Pokékaki where you could draw whatever you pleased, and the Victory Road Adoption Center as the adoption-centric replacement for VictoryBattles.

As games like Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Pokémon X and Y came out in 2013, I could tell that interest in the forum was waning. The weekly user count began dwindling into 2014. I had begun to plan for Victory Road’s closure to coincide with my graduation from college and transition into a new part of my life, but I had wanted to wait until I had finished that new site I had always discussed (“VGVids”) before doing so. Some of the site features fell into disarray and members either left or loss interest in running things like the Gym League. When the cost of the server got to be too expensive for the load, KingOfKYA hooked me up with a VPS at ServerPoint.

The VGVids project was renamed to Lycanroc.Net and completed in late 2016. Stubbornness led to me delaying the closure until the end of 2017. The few remaining loyal users kept me company through the final years.

Roadmap

Please see the following dates for changes that should be expected in the near future.

December 1, 2017
Logging in on VRAC and the Pokékaki will be disabled.

January 1, 2018
The Pokékaki and VRAC will be fully closed and will no longer be online. Be sure to save any pictures you want to keep by this date. In addition, the remaining webpages on Floatzel.Net will be taken down.

January 8, 2018
Most content-creation features on Victory Road will be disabled. This includes: posting, editing, deleting, uploading attachments, uploading album photos, and sending private messages.

February 1, 2018
Logging in will be disabled. Also, large attachments will be deleted. Be sure to download any large files that you want to keep by this date.

Special Thanks

I’d like to give a special shout-out to the following members:
  • Yoshi648 – Running this place would’ve been impossible without him keeping constant watch on spammers and managing the staff.
  • KingOfKYA – He taught me a lot of what I know now about system administration, laid the foundation of my PHP and MySQL knowledge, and clued me into best practices before I could falter.
  • FreezeWarp – This guy developed many website products that were used by many forum members, especially the Victory Road Instant Messenger chat system.
  • PokeRemixStudio – He advertised the forum extensively through his popular YouTube channel and brought in a lot of like-minded individuals.
  • Shadow – He launched and ran the initial iteration of the Victory Road Gym League, giving us a stable battling community.
Of course, I’d also like to thank everyone who contributed toward the greater good and those who provided quality posts for others to enjoy and converse with. I will never forget many of the wonderful members we’ve had here.

Contact

I can be reached at cat333pokemon@aol.com or other locations listed here: http://www.lycanroc.net/contact/#links

Click image for larger version

Name:	zoroark-3ds-small.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	7043

“A journey is best measured in friends rather than miles.” – Tim Cahill

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; December 3, 2017 at 01:01:25 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old November 23, 2017, 01:07:57 AM
Administrator

Well friends, the day has arrived. Time to finally say goodbye to our old online stomping grounds Victory Road.

It's been a pretty wild ride to say the least. I've been here since the beginning, and watching our small slice of the internet evolve into a humble little Pokémon hideaway has been a neat journey.

I hadn’t really been part of any online groups prior to being here, aside from lurking or maybe asking a random question. This was my first true experience of getting to interact with people I’ve never met over a common interest. Victory Road started around the time I was getting back into Pokémon after not having been in it since the GameBoy days. It was certainly great to have a group of Pokémon lovers to discuss with and help re-kindle my renewed interest in the series.

Were we as big like the mainstream Pokémon forums? Of course not. We were special because what we lacked in numbers we made up for in community. We weren’t just a faceless number in a crowd, we were practically a family. We knew everyone, we made connections with others just because we liked a game with cute animals. For me personally, it was nice to log onto here and see familiar names to hang out with and discuss about whatever the conversation lead to. Being with others here made me feel like I was a part of something larger. Special connections with people I’ve never even met, technology is incredible!

Of course it wasn’t all fun and games, it came with it’s share of work as well. Kicking spammers, deleting posts, issuing warnings to trouble-makers, it seemed to never end. It was worth it though in order to maintain the peace of our little hideaway. Thanks to the many moderators who have helped out over the years, your service is much appreciated. And of course, a big thanks to my good friend Cat333Pokemon for coming up with this forum and the countless hours of devotion and hard work put into this place.

Well, I'm totally rambling at this point, so I guess I'd better wrap it up... It's been a unique experience, one I'll always remember. I’m going to miss all the friends I’ve made here. I hope enough people stop by one last time to say goodbye as well. If for whatever reason you want to find me and catch up on old times, I can be found on reddit under my new handle Yoshizard64.

Always strive to be the best, like no one ever was.

-Sincerely
Aaron / Yoshi648 - Victory Road Administrator

Last edited by Yoshi648; November 23, 2017 at 01:23:21 AM.
Old November 23, 2017, 07:03:41 AM
Kyurem

Aww man we closing up shop Well i to have moved from Pokezam to here as probably the only member left that originally came from there, its sad to hear this place is going down too.

Well i guess i got to be a gym leader for a short time and git to finally post some of art here, and i better grab my old photos i saved on here as backup.

One last thing for now, are you keeping the pokemon pets thing? I would love to keep using them if i deside to move on to another forum in the future.

My contact stuff:
Twitter @kakashidragon
Facebook- should be kakashidragon if u search it up.
Youtube- kakashidragon (should be this or with 2 at the end)
Discord-kakashidragon#9125
DeviantArt: kakashidragon
Tumblr: kakashidragon

So far thats it till i edit more in.
If u want to contact me: Twitter: @kakashidragon, Youtube channel: kakashidragon, Discord: kakashidragon#9125 Deviantart: kakashidragon Tumblr: kakashidragon

Last edited by kakashidragon; November 24, 2017 at 04:39:20 AM.
Old November 23, 2017, 08:08:16 AM
Keldeo

Well, here it is. I can't really say I've been around since the beginning, but it's been a wild four years. Computer's about to auto-restart so I'll keep it brief, but thanks to all the people I've met and Cat for relentlessly sending me comics of Dragonite eating various things and the people who've read my mindless dev blogs and battled with and everything else.

Contacts, in case you want to keep in touch:
Twitter
YouTube

(If you know any other of my contacts you can try those too, these are the ones I check most often)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20171123_105748.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	5.32 MB
ID:	7044  
Old November 23, 2017, 08:33:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakashidragon View Post
One last thing for now, are you keeping the pokemon pets thing?
Please see the Roadmap in the original post for VRAC (Victory Road Adoption Center). They will be gone January 1st.
Old November 23, 2017, 03:53:26 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
Please see the Roadmap in the original post for VRAC (Victory Road Adoption Center). They will be gone January 1st.
I did, but will any exsitng ones be alive still? Or will they be gone? Cause i can copy there links to something and have them forever unless it will disable later on that date?

Also lycanrock.net will be gone too?
If u want to contact me: Twitter: @kakashidragon, Youtube channel: kakashidragon, Discord: kakashidragon#9125 Deviantart: kakashidragon Tumblr: kakashidragon

Last edited by kakashidragon; November 24, 2017 at 04:38:32 AM.
Old November 25, 2017, 03:10:45 PM
Shaymin

F to pay respects

I spent my formative online years here. even if it’s been a long time it’s pretty bittersweet. you can find me on twitter if you wanna catch up.

see you next mission
Old November 25, 2017, 09:30:49 PM
Zoroark

Pull the trigger piglet

also thank **** for the drop

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; November 25, 2017 at 09:49:22 PM. Reason: Yes it is :P
Old November 27, 2017, 07:35:31 PM
Mudkip

Dear Victory Road members,

It has been a wild ride on this forum for a while. I remember first joining when there was the chat room. The spam was hilariously funny. (For me, probably not for the moderators.) There were so many memories that I just couldn't count them all! I enjoyed making "fusion-drawings" of Pokemon for people using paint. A lot of you probably thought I was dead when I vanished for 6.5 years. Despite that, I had a nice time learning how to actually play Pokemon. The arcade was fun, the games were easy to play, but hard to master. (Especially the air hockey one.) I wonder what games will be out there next...

Oh wait.. that's right! Monster Hunter!!

DatKrazyKiwi - YTB

"Don't let your dreams be memes."

-Brent/Kiwi/Clydemoose

The shrekkening slowly approaches.
Old November 27, 2017, 11:16:57 PM
Haxorus

this is a great community cat. i met some of my first and closest connections here and changed what i thought about relationships on and off the internet. your site played a role in many kids lives and i thank you for that even if i wasnt mature around the time i actually used the website.

thanks bros
Old November 28, 2017, 06:42:52 PM
Kyurem

Well heres a goodbye gift to you all for when the forums close.

Face reveal!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20171128_204017_Film1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	7050  

Old November 28, 2017, 10:08:51 PM

Sad to see this place go, but it's been fun. Just registering an account here has had a profound effect on my life through the people I've been fortunate enough to meet.

Old November 28, 2017, 11:14:28 PM

Quite some time has passed since since I joined back in 2011 as a rising junior in high school. I will say that this site caused a big turning point in my life. I didn't exactly have the best experience in high school, so meeting all the people here was refreshing. Being on here not only showed me how to accept others for who they are, but also to accept myself. Not to mention I'm currently living with a certain someone on here that I met 5 years ago. I could make a huge list of who to thank on here...but just believe me when I say thank you- to everyone who played a part in my time being here; you won't be forgotten. :]

Also!
99,999 page visits huh? You all must love me quite a bit to stalk me this much.

Name:	99999.PNG
Views:	6
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	7051

Lastly, if I had a closing line here for everyone, it would be this:
"Be truthful to yourself and those around you."
Old November 29, 2017, 05:47:17 AM
Kyurem

Feels like a little bit of my high school days are going away, year by year... and with the closure of this forum, it kind of makes me think how things used to be 5 years ago...

I still wonder how's TurtwigX these days. I think I talked a lot and stuff... along with other VR'ers.

Well, anyway. Anyone want contact, they can find me on Twitter at @AxAxAxew. It should have a Noivern theme going on.
Old November 30, 2017, 03:02:46 PM
Zoroark

I don't think it's even possible for me to put into words how grateful I am for VR. VR pretty much introduced me into the entire concept of online interaction as a kid and served as a huge step towards maturing me into the person I am today. I was definitely obnoxious back when I used this site, but if it weren't for the people I met on this little web forum, I wouldn't have anywhere near the same interests I have now and it would have taken a lot longer for me to gain social perspective and respect than it ended up taking. Seeing all these names again from 7 years ago as a current-day freshman in college is a very emotional thing for me.

Thanks for everything, Cat. I'll never forget VR.

Last edited by coteup; November 30, 2017 at 03:19:48 PM.