Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > PokéNews
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

PokéNews Non-staff should post news on Pokémon General.

Search this Thread
Old January 17, 2011, 11:23:18 AM
Regigigas

Default Shonen Sunday to Feature New Pokemon Manga Aimed at Older Fans

It has been announced, through posters and fliers at the Jisedai World Hobby Fair Winter 2011, that Shogakukan will be featuring a new Pokemon manga series in its Weekly Shonen Sunday. The name of the manga is currently unknown, however, it will apparently be aimed at older audiences as opposed to the other Pokemon manga (such as Pokemon Special) which are typically seen as being aimed at children. This is quite rare, as almost all Pokemon-related merchandising is usually directed towards children, and marketing it expanded on from there. Previous manga series featured in Shonen Sunday include Detective Conan ("Case Closed" in North America), and InuYasha. The new Pokemon manga will begin serialization is March, and is meant to be an attempt at "expanding the market".

Source(s):
[ www.PokeBeach.com ]

[ http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...y-mag-in-march ]

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; January 18, 2011 at 05:40:17 AM. Reason: Typos
Old January 17, 2011, 11:52:23 AM
Kyurem

I dunno, I really liked Pokémon special xD

Its interesting how 2011 is like a reboot for the Pokémon franchise (since Black & White clearly are trying to do some of the same thing). Eh, who knows - might work well.
Old January 17, 2011, 12:29:41 PM
Haxorus

I'm always looking forward to new characters.
Old January 17, 2011, 01:29:20 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezeWarp View Post
I dunno, I really liked Pokémon special xD

Its interesting how 2011 is like a reboot for the Pokémon franchise (since Black & White clearly are trying to do some of the same thing). Eh, who knows - might work well.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE fan of Pokemon Special, I plan on buying all the volumes. It's just interesting to see their trying something new.
Old January 17, 2011, 02:06:29 PM
Regigigas

I hope this gets translated. I'd love to read a Pokemon manga that's actually aimed at older audiences (even though I've never read a Pokemon manga in my life).
Old January 17, 2011, 02:07:46 PM
Rayquaza

I'm mainly just interested in what the premise is first.
Old January 17, 2011, 04:11:08 PM
Administrator

Considering the Viz translations of Pokémon Adventures (and to that extent, Pokémon D&P Adventure!) for North America already has quite a few adult themes, notably death of people and Pokémon, some comic mischief (I recall a few groin and urine jokes.), and a little bit of blood, I am a bit curious to see how this one steps up from that. I'm willing to bet more swearing and sexual humor. I dunno, it could be a lot of things.

I'm also curious how long before it gets a release here. Adventures took ten years before they started releasing the actual series (and not "best of" books), and books like Let's Find Pokémon were held back after the first three for about eight years, so it could be a while, but I'm sure it will eventually come out.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; January 18, 2011 at 05:38:07 AM.
Old January 17, 2011, 05:34:35 PM
Regigigas

I love Pokemon Special, should be interesting to see how this compares. I hope someone translates it.
Old January 18, 2011, 06:32:58 PM
Kyurem

I've never actually read a manga before, but I've always wanted too. This might be one I'll try to look out for, as it's Pokemon AND it's aimed at older fans. Which sounds interesting.
Old January 22, 2011, 08:32:51 AM
Servine

Too bad I don't have that much money. Otherwise,I'd be stocking up on Pokemon merchandise.
Old January 22, 2011, 11:24:10 AM
Volcarona

Interesting how Nintendo is trying to aim Pokemon to older fans. I think Nintendo is trying to keep older fans interested in the franchise appropriate to their age group. Pokemon is often aim with light themes such as friendship and working together. It would be interesting to see the darker parts of Pokemon being focus on the manga.
Old January 22, 2011, 11:27:29 AM

I have high hopes for this! I've always wanted Pokemon media to have more mature themes.