Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old May 16, 2010, 12:55:35 AM
Volcarona

Unhappy We just got a puppy, but...

I have mixed feelings over having a new dog. It's a Lurcher. While I'm happy that it's friendly and kinda laid back, I tend to think about the future a whole lot, and it's not looking good for me and my mom.

Why I'm happy:

1: It keeps my sister's behavior problems from getting any worse.

2: It's a puppy.

3: My sister actually gave it a proper name, rather than something silly or stupid (Ren and Stimpy for the turtles we used to have was EPIC FAIL).

4: So far, it hasn't annoyed me once.

Why I'm not happy:

1: Give it two months and my sister will 'forget' about our puppy. Which means that mom and I will have to look after it.

2: TRAVEL EXPENSES!!

3: When we finally move back to the states, I'm going to have to walk it at 1:00 AM, 3:00 AM, right when I wake up, right when I go to bed, etc.

4: If my sister starts feeding it from the dinner table, it will turn into another Kip, which is my oldest dog's name. Kip has a tendency to beg for food in the most annoying ways.

5: I'm worried that my sister is probably going to "MY PRECIOUS!" the puppy, not giving me a chance to see it.

6: I didn't want another dog. Coming back from the states the second time, we had to give up 5 pets because we couldn't afford to bring them over.

7: If we can't afford to bring all our pets on the same plane, we'll have to put them in quarantine for a long time. In quarantine, my oldest cat died of bone cancer and the staff did NOTHING to help. When my cat was cremated WITHOUT our permission, they tried to sell our cat's ashes back to us. :x

7b: I've seen the conditions in the quarantine place. They're horrendous. Kip nearly starved to death there; he looked dangerously thin.

8: Dad only got the puppy to stop my sister from misbehaving. He didn't ask me or mom if I wanted one. I would have said no.

What's your opinion on this? Should I look forward to the joys of having a puppy while at the same time, suffering the misery of future problems?

Last edited by Armed Floatzel; May 16, 2010 at 12:56:44 AM.
Old May 16, 2010, 01:23:28 AM
Shaymin

Thats a tough one. Would be hard to enjoy it if it's forgotten about. Then again, having a pet is fun. Honestly it could be good but it tends to shift to the bad end more.

Last edited by Fubab_107; May 16, 2010 at 01:23:41 AM.
Old May 16, 2010, 05:11:52 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atypical Floatzel View Post
7: If we can't afford to bring all our pets on the same plane, we'll have to put them in quarantine for a long time. In quarantine, my oldest cat died of bone cancer and the staff did NOTHING to help. When my cat was cremated WITHOUT our permission, they tried to sell our cat's ashes back to us. :x
That is pure evil right thar.
Old May 16, 2010, 08:26:07 AM
Administrator

Looks like most of your problems come from your sister and having to move.

How old is your sister? It would help if your parents had a talk with her about not feeding the puppy tablescraps, reminding her to properly feed it, and that the puppy belongs to the family and not just her.

The second problem is with you moving. If you do have to move and you can't bring your puppy with you then it may be best to either have any friends/family look after him, that way he doesn't go to be quarantined. That or it may be best just to put him up for adoption. At least then he can go to a shelter and he is a puppy so he shouldn't have problems finding a new loving home.

Quote:

7b: I've seen the conditions in the quarantine place. They're horrendous. Kip nearly starved to death there; he looked dangerously thin.
That is just so wrong on so many levels. There has got to be a place you can report them to, that just isn't right.

Last edited by Yoshi648; May 16, 2010 at 08:26:59 AM.
Old May 16, 2010, 11:16:33 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
Looks like most of your problems come from your sister and having to move.

How old is your sister? It would help if your parents had a talk with her about not feeding the puppy tablescraps, reminding her to properly feed it, and that the puppy belongs to the family and not just her.

The second problem is with you moving. If you do have to move and you can't bring your puppy with you then it may be best to either have any friends/family look after him, that way he doesn't go to be quarantined. That or it may be best just to put him up for adoption. At least then he can go to a shelter and he is a puppy so he shouldn't have problems finding a new loving home.

That is just so wrong on so many levels. There has got to be a place you can report them to, that just isn't right.
1: My sister had reached that magical age where she thinks she knows better than everyone else on the planet (14). If you've seen Drake and Josh, my sister is a lot like the little girl.

2: She never listens to me or my parents. "Middle-school arrogance" as my biology teacher said once.

3: Having a new pet for several years and then having to give it up is like Ash giving up Pikachu. Also, we don't move for four years. I'm thinking of the future.

4: If I was old enough back then when our pets were put through quarantine, I would have sued the company. Problem is, I'm still not old enough. I'm only 17 and the quarantine was 8+ years ago. I see your point, though. My oldest cat was 14 years old when he died. His name was Newt. Kip could have died also if he was in quarantine much longer. I've had him since we adopted him as a puppy. Now, he's 11 years old. No way I'm putting him in quarantine if he lives that long.
Old May 16, 2010, 11:30:43 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
1: My sister had reached that magical age where she thinks she knows better than everyone else on the planet (14). If you've seen Drake and Josh, my sister is a lot like the little girl.
My sister is like that. She's 15 currently, turning 16 in June and she thinks that I should take advice from her & care about her opinions. OHWAITIM17ICOULDN'TCARELESSABOUTYOUROPINIONSSTFU.
(Also, boy was that fun to trim down on the internet channel. >_>)
Old May 19, 2010, 03:40:36 PM
Mudkip

Code:
When my cat was cremated WITHOUT our permission, 
they tried to sell our cat's ashes back to us.
That's mean, I hope everything works out for you.
~Snow

Last edited by Snow; May 19, 2010 at 03:40:58 PM.