Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 30, 2011, 08:22:11 PM
Volcarona

Default What's your style of music? (listening or composing)

I'm curious to know, and I want to get this off my chest because I have this strange compulsion to tell the world about my music preferences.

You can either describe it and/or post youtube videos as an example. As for me:

I'm very instrumental and I taught myself how to compose. Music has also been a major source of inspiration for my fanfics, believe it or not.

Here are some of my favorites. Can someone put my style in words? I don't think it's tangible enough for me to describe.

My most recent favorite (found this today :) )    

Nice snippet, but it's sad that the best songs always seem the hardest to find.    

Paul Romero during the highlight of his career.    

A classic from Tomb Raider that I sadly didn't appreciate until recently.    

Last edited by Armed Floatzel; July 30, 2011 at 08:24:33 PM.
Old July 31, 2011, 06:39:38 AM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed Floatzel View Post
My most recent favorite (found this today :) )    
Isn't that from Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story?

Anyway, practically my main use for Youtube is listening to video game music.

Some randomly picked examples    

Last edited by LucarioMario; August 31, 2011 at 03:48:16 PM.
Old July 31, 2011, 08:33:23 PM
Kyurem

Does, "anything that sounds good" or, "has a good beat" count as a style?
Old August 2, 2011, 04:07:33 PM
Shaymin

My favorite genres are mostly anything that stay similar to rock and roll. I listen to a lot of grunge, particularly Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, but I also listen to stuff like AC/DC which is completely rock and Queen which is sort of glam and hard rock at the same time. I top it off with a bit of indie hipster ****, but the only hipster band I really got into was Arctic Monkeys.
Old August 2, 2011, 04:33:28 PM
Giratina

I tend to listen to things that are catchy - I like good drumming that I can get into, and memorable riffs. I don't listen to a wide variety of music, but so far I've found 3 bands that serve those needs: System of a Down, Avenged Sevenfold, and f(x).
Old August 2, 2011, 05:41:13 PM
Linoone

I generally tend to prefer rock music, though I do love electronic stuff as well. I love it when a band incorporates brass instruments in their music as well. Oh, and when they use violins/cellos too. That is sick.
Old August 11, 2011, 04:43:36 PM
Landorus

Most of the music I listin to is rock.
Old August 11, 2011, 05:12:49 PM
Charizard

I really like rock, punk, classic rock, classical, Irish music, and electronic. I listen to a little bit of everything really, though. Besides country of course (no offense to those who do).
Old August 11, 2011, 05:17:06 PM
Haxorus

I listen to gospel because my mom always listen to gospel. Since my mom won't let me listen anything else, I escape from it by listening to VGM.
Old August 12, 2011, 04:27:28 PM
Linoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimaRaichu View Post
I listen to gospel because my mom always listen to gospel. Since my mom won't let me listen anything else...
This is one of the most unfortunate things I have ever read. I'm sorry to hear that, my friend.
Old August 12, 2011, 04:49:46 PM
Zoroark

I'm the listening type.
If you are talking about genre of music-style, I'm more of the punk rock kind've girl.
Old August 28, 2011, 11:37:59 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed Floatzel View Post
I'm curious to know, and I want to get this off my chest because I have this strange compulsion to tell the world about my music preferences... I'm very instrumental and I taught myself how to compose. Music has also been a major source of inspiration for my fanfics, believe it or not
Once again, I return to bump an old topic. *sigh* This is gonna stop.

I gotta say... I also have a interesting compulsion to tell people of my musical preferences. (Probably because we both have Spectrum Disorders related to Autism and Asburgers. This is because usually the person with the spectrum disorder is very fixated to a few subjects. Totally related to me. I do however try to escape my comfort zone and appreciate other types of music because I know they're important. Anyways, I digress...)

I like compositions with preferably loud drums that have a nice solid kick. For me, they also gotta have good drum fills otherwise it usually doesn't appeal very well to me. A good riff or melody won't hurt and in fact, makes the song more fun to listen to.

To me VGM is a genre that is an art. Most people don't realize how hard it can be to make a certain kind of sound for a certain kind of game. VGM usually corresponds in tone and pace depending on the action. That's what this genre represents to me; Action music. I also happen to like electronica and classic rock even though I know little to nothing about the timelines or history about these kinds of music. I don't care; I still like these types of music. Jazz music personally I'd approve of too.

The funny thing about me is that I haven't really learned anything from music classes, but I'm usually able to compose a piece of music, usually by ear.

All my life I wanted to be a music composer for video games; VGM nowadays is usually dull and very, very plain in my opinion. Personally, I want to give it a little nudge in the right direction (that and maybe a Falcon Kick followed by a Bare Knuckle and a Grand Upper only to be expertly combo-ed by a Hydouken and a Chaos Blast ). I'd like to teach people who make tunes for video games how to have fun with making them again.
Old August 29, 2011, 12:32:03 AM
Zoroark

I hear mostly Drum 'n' Bass and the Electronica-stuff.But I listen to the old ´´Deutsche Welle´´ too (FYI: Nena's 99 Luftballons should explain).
Old August 30, 2011, 07:06:33 PM
Mudkip

I like most any music except for stuff with excessive screaming and heavy metal.
Old August 30, 2011, 07:48:10 PM
Haxorus

rock, metal, alternative, and classic can i say that much?
Old August 31, 2011, 02:53:48 PM
Giratina

I don't know much about all the different genres out there, but my favourite ones are pop, rock and R&B, including many of their divisions (teen pop, country pop, alternative rock, etc). I like to listen to new styles of music as long as the song has lyrics, a good beat and a catchy chorus/emotional message. And the one thing I absolutely cannot stand? Rap. I seriously don't like it nor do I like how mainstream it has become, so for me rap songs are ALWAYS a skip.
Old August 31, 2011, 03:19:21 PM
Kyurem

I am a huge fan of New Wave from the late 70's and early 80's. The B-52's, Lene Lovich, and Blondie all rank rather highly for me.
Old August 31, 2011, 03:24:26 PM
Haxorus

I have a weird variety of favorite music.

I have classical music, video game soundtracks (and parodies like Brentalfloss), and soundtracks from musicals. I'm very weird when it comes to music. At least in my perspective; I'm sure there are other people with wierder tastes in music.
Old August 31, 2011, 03:26:01 PM
Mudkip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariothecellist View Post
I have classical music, video game soundtracks (and parodies like Brentalfloss), and soundtracks from musicals. I'm very weird when it comes to music. At least in my perspective; I'm sure there are other people with wierder tastes in music.
Video game soundtracks are always one of the best. ^^ The same goes for musicals. Classical music is lovely, too.