Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games > Walkthroughs and Let's Plays
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old September 5, 2010, 10:53:48 AM
Shaymin

Default Lite the Iron Critic- Metroid: Other M

Well, I've beaten Metroid: Other M 100%, so I think that gives me the opportunity to review this game as a whole. As such, I'm reviewing my First Impression Review and editing it at neccesary, and in some cases adding new parts to it.

Original segments of the review will appear in my typical bold-red. New, revised segments and added-on content will appear like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteTheIronMan View Post
Metroid: Other M. The game I've been hyping about since 2009 when I first saw trailers. Granted, this disappointed me in the fact that it was NOT the oft-rumored sequel to Metroid Fusion, Metroid: Dread, it still caught me by surprise: A Team Ninja/Nintendo collab? How will this game work? Almost everything seen in previews was absolutely foriegn to Metroid fans: This was not a traditional Super Metroid-esque 2-D platformer; it wasn't a Metroid Prime style 3-D FPS game; and this was all coupled with the fact that it told an actual story a la Metroid Fusion. So what was this game, really? The answer, a blend of all three: A third-person shooter platformer Metroid game that told a narrative through cutscenes and spoken dialogue.

1: STORY

The following may reveal plot details from previous Metroid games.    
Metroid: Other M takes place immediately where Super Metroid for the SNES left off: The final battle between Mother Brain, Samus, and the baby Metroid. Samus is traumatized by the death of her "child" (The baby Metroid imprinted upon Samus as though she was its mother) and still feels responsible for its death. Shortly after her escape from Zebes, Samus recieves a distress signal from a derelict vessel, the Bottle Ship, where she encounters her old Galactic Federation squad, including her former CO, Adam Malkovich, and her old friend Anthony Higgs. After a rough start Samus and Adam re-acquaint themselves with the situation at hand and the two parties search the Bottle Ship for clues as to why the distress signal was sent out.

The story is told through beautifully animated cutscenes and spoken dialogue between characters, as well as interaction between them. This borrows from Fusion, which was the only Metroid game that ever told the player a direct narrative without them having to inferr what was occuring, like past Metroid games.
Samus's character is given a more fleshed-out, real personality, whereas the past games portray her as a typical silent protagonist with few hints at her actual back-story or character traits. This new take on Samus is (in my opinion at least) much more believable and very much appreciated as opposed to the almost surreal "galactic savior" she is seen as in previous Metroids. Other characters seen for the first time in this game (such as Anthony Higgs and Adam Malkovich) are also given well-written back-stories and character traits. The story also sets up some key components and give explanations for events that transpire in Metroid Fusion, and it fits great within the currently explained continuity. However, there are some slight but insignificant problems with the story, but for the sake of spoiler prevention I won't discuss them here. Since these problems are more in conflict with Fusion than they are with Other M, I revise my current rating of the story and give this component of Metroid: Other M a 10/10.

2. CONTROL SCHEME

This was something many Metroid fans were worried about when the game was announced: How the hell are we going to be able to do THIS using only the Wii Remote on its side?! I can safely say that all doubts I had about the controls of this game were quickly dispersed upon playing the tutorial sequence.

M:OM puts Samus in what are typically three-dimensional rooms, like the Prime games. However, what might seem like a 2.5-D game (See the New SMB games) isn't- Samus can move fully in the three dimensions provided, even though the movement is controlled by the Wii Remote's D-pad. Other controls are simple: Shoot with 2, jump with 1, enter Morph Ball mode with A. The scheme is very easy to adjust to, and although some might be worried that the lack of other control methods or at least the ability to attach the Nunchuk is missing, it doesn't deterr from the game one bit.

Then, there's the FPS mode Samus enters: When the Wii Remote is pointed at the screen, the camera angle pans to inside Samus's visor, a look clearly inspired by the Metroid Prime games. There are perks to being in this mode, however: Your look is fixed unless manipulated manually by holding B and pointing, and your position is also fixed on the point you were standing. This mode is usually used to investigate objects and fire missiles (the FPS mode is the only time Missiles can be fired, in fact.) This mode is usually used at leisure and doesn't pull away from combat much, since your enemies usually cannot move (much like yourself) when FPS mode is called for during battle.

Although the control scheme might look awkward at first, it works brilliantly. Any doubts I held about this game were put away as soon as I picked up the controller, and the controls feel smooth and responsive. I do have gripes about not being able to move in FPS mode, but if we could do that then it wouldn't be Metroid, it would be Metroid Prime, and the whole point of the game would be lost. I give the control scheme a 9/10.

3. GAMEPLAY

M:OM is obviously off the beaten path simply by looking at commercials and trailers. Team Ninja has infused Samus's typical run-and-explore method of travel with Dragon Sword-esque combat. Samus can now perform melee moves under certain circumstances when facing off against her many opponents, and these changes to Samus's arsenal are very, very welcome.

As mentioned earlier, the game relies heavily on cinematic to explain what's occuring. As a result, M:OM feels a lot like Fusion in that the story more or less forces you (although, in Metroid, "force" is hardly the right word) to go on a linear path. The typical exploration and backtracking elements of Metroid are still there, but not as focused upon as the main narrative is, which also gives the game a touch of Metroid Fusion since that game was also very linear and gave few opportunites to hunt for items.
This is, however, redeemed by the fact that there are a few very significant points of the game and story where you're basically given free reign over exploration of the Bottle Ship, so the aspect of Super Metroid where one can hunt for items at leisure and take in the sights of the environment still exists. However, this might not please fans who take to exploring right away, and are expecting something like Super Metroid where the whole game could basically be played backwards.

The gameplay of Other M is much like that of Fusion, although the opportunity to explore and hunt down expansions and the like is much like that of Super. However, despite this the "exploration" aspect takes a slight backseat to the action. My revised grade of the gameplay of Metroid Other M is 9/10.

4. PRESENTATION

As I've stated previously, visuals are everything in M:OM, and the presentation is absolutely gorgeous. The graphics are very Super Mario Galaxy, infused with a Metroid Prime flavor. The simplicity yet innate detailing of every environment is breathtaking, and it doesn't go too overboard with making everything look perfect as the Primes did. The cutscenes are also wonderful; everything in the narrative bits has to get across to the player, and boy does it get across well. There's not really much to talk about than what's already been said, but all that needs to be told is that the graphic presentation of M:OM is probably second only to their FPS brethren.

Metroid is also known for its fabulous soundtrack, and M:OM delivers. The music in Other M is mostly orchestral, much like previous Nintendo Wii games like Twilight Princess and the SMG series. It fits well within the defined atmosphere of Metroid: a claustrophobic, faintly terrifying dark enviornment where you're all alone despite contact with other characters here and there. A few tracks worthy of mention are the renditions of the main Metroid theme, and the new Ridley track. My absolute favorite is probably the Other M piano theme which can be heard on the opening menu after beating the game 100%.

Metroid: Other M has graphics that are only bested slightly by the Prime series, and it has an amazing orchestrated soundtrack that is the icing on this video game's delicious cake. I give the presentation of Metroid: Other M a 9/10.

5. FINAL

Metroid: Other M is an incredible new addition into the franchise. It blends Fusion's written narrative with a Super Metroid style of gameplay and puts it in an environment much like Prime. The control scheme is great, although most diehard fans won't appreciate the lack of alternate methods or at least a Nunchuk control scheme, but that's understandable and the given controls work well. The presentation is amazing, with graphics that are probably some of the best seen on the proprietary console, and a soundtrack that ties all of the game together much like the previous ones have done for other Metroid games. On top of all this, the added Hard mode given after fully completing the game will certainly provide a challenge to fans and adds replay value; and the Theatre Mode and Gallery Mode are neat unlockables after the post-game.

Upon revising my review, I now give Metroid: Other M a score of 93%.

Grading scale    

S = 100% (I've almost never played a video game this good. And I've played a lot of good games.
A = 99%-90% (There are minor flaws in the game but they're almost unnoticable and don't take away from the full experience. A brilliant video game.)
B = 89%-80% (There are a few flaws here and there that might induce eye-rolling, but the game is very spectacular and easily manages to shine despite these.)
C= 79%-70% (There are some things in this game that could've been taken out from the final product to make it much better than what it is. It's still a decent video game.)
D= 69%-60% (There's quite a lot of flaws with this game that take away from the full experience, but it's worth at least a rental or a used buy.)
E= 59%-50% (The game feels almost rushed in design. Very poor, not very enjoyable. Probably a licensed video game.)
F= 49%-0 (This game is absolutely terrible. It's shovelware and shouldn't have been made in the first place without a proper gaming studio backing it.)