Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old March 8, 2011, 11:35:33 AM
Giratina

Default Win7 Can't connect to internet (LAN works)

All the other computers are able to connect, and I'm able to connect from this one under other OSes (Posting using Xubuntu now, pretty good looking DE though obviously just GNOME defancified), and I was able to get my Windows Server 2003 virtual machine to connect, implying that there's a problem in my Windows 7 install itself.

I've already screwed around in my router (Yes I know what I'm doing, I'm using that term lightly) and I've disabled all my firewalls in case they're a problem. Any ideas? Will the great Technomancer rise from the dead and save me with a dose of bitter sarcasm?

After this Xubuntu session I'm going to back to 7 to see if anything's changed. I hope to god I don't have to reinstall :<
Old March 8, 2011, 12:16:59 PM
Giratina

Connect via LAN and find your WLAN drivers online, preferably from your computer's/WLAN adapter manufacturer's website. Some drivers don't seem to work when you install Windows 7, like my sound/microphone and webcam drivers, so I had to go get them manually from Toshiba's website.
Old March 8, 2011, 01:48:39 PM
Giratina

I mean I can connect to the LAN but the router won't let my computer go to the Internet. Sorry for being a bit vague there.
Old March 8, 2011, 01:53:19 PM
Volcarona

Can't you download the driver(s) on another OS that can connect to the internet and then just copy them onto 7 and install from there?

Last edited by zsaberslash; March 8, 2011 at 01:53:59 PM. Reason: Being a bit more specific
Old March 9, 2011, 11:17:01 AM
Volcarona

Windows users above your answers suck and have almost no base. I am speaking from a linux and cisco networking back ground. If it was a driver issues you wound not be able to see the lan at all.

Ok check in this order

cay you ping yourself ping 127.0.0.1? (if not you need to reinstall as you ip stack is damaged"very unlikely")

can you ping you default gateway? (192.168.1.1, 10.0.0.1 etc...)

can you ping 8.8.8.8? (if yes this means you can get to the internet)

can you ping google.com? (if above worked but this dosen't check you DNS settings.)

Last edited by KingOfKYA; March 9, 2011 at 11:21:22 AM.
Old March 9, 2011, 12:41:06 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfKYA View Post
Windows users above your answers suck and have almost no base. I am speaking from a linux and cisco networking back ground. If it was a driver issues you wound not be able to see the lan at all.

Ok check in this order

cay you ping yourself ping 127.0.0.1? (if not you need to reinstall as you ip stack is damaged"very unlikely")

can you ping you default gateway? (192.168.1.1, 10.0.0.1 etc...)

can you ping 8.8.8.8? (if yes this means you can get to the internet)

can you ping google.com? (if above worked but this dosen't check you DNS settings.)
Yes

Yes

Never heard of doing that before but will try later

No

After talking with my computer science teacher (Used to teach a college course on computers for A+ certification) he said I should flush the DNS or reinstall the card completely. Flushing DNS didn't work, so I'll try reinstalling.

EDIT: 8.8.8.8 went through fine.

Last edited by Jaredvcxz; March 9, 2011 at 02:07:58 PM.
Old March 9, 2011, 02:34:14 PM
Giratina

It be fixed

I tried reinstalling through device manager, but that didn't work. So, I dug around and found my mobo's driver DVD, and reinstalled the drivers. This worked.

We should still keep this thread open for a few days just in case the problem comes back and I can't fix it again.
Old March 9, 2011, 06:06:06 PM
Volcarona

Glad you got it but...

No offence meant but the A+ guys for the most part know the absolute basics of network. Most cant subnet or route properly.

That worked because you simple resed the network address and requested a new one from your router.

ipconfig /relese

ipconfig /renew

would have fixed it

HEres the last thing i would have told you to do.

Ok 8.8.8.8 ip googles free dns server

RUN" ipconfig /all" in comand line

look for a dns server listed

try to ping it

if it dosen't work (you can do this anyways)

go into you network setting and change the dns to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
http://www.mediacollege.com/computer/network/dns.html

Last edited by KingOfKYA; March 9, 2011 at 06:11:53 PM.
Old March 10, 2011, 12:04:35 PM
Giratina

Windows Update found an update for my 802.3 adapter. It broke after installing it. So, the latest Realtek ethernet drivers are bad for Win7x64, or at least just my computer. Now I can get back to SP1 (Wouldn't doubt that the drivers were meant for SP1 but WinUpdate didn't notice that I hadn't installed it yet or something stupid like that)

Last edited by Jaredvcxz; March 10, 2011 at 12:05:48 PM.
Old March 10, 2011, 02:02:19 PM
Volcarona

Like i said before that may have fixed it but the fact you could ping 8.8.8.8 means the network card was fully functioning. Meaning that in the osi model layer worked all the way to the top.

layer 4 which is where the driver would live in this model.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model
Old March 13, 2011, 10:24:07 AM
Giratina

So my NIC was still breaking, so I got a Cisco Valet wireless adapter. It was hell getting it set up because I suck at managing networks, but I got it set up anyways.

And KYA I don't mean to make you look like an ass, but my teacher does A+ and Net+.
Old April 3, 2011, 01:45:30 PM
Giratina

Realtek finally fixed the drivers, so I can return this PoS wifi dongle.
Old May 15, 2011, 10:51:22 AM
Giratina

FINALLY <3

I decided to get a Netgear GA311 Gigabit Ethernet adapter. It took a bit of working, but I finally got it <3

Windows 7 already has drivers for it, and the generic (I assume) drivers in Linux work.

now to replace this crappy router with the old Linksys that I misplaced <.<