Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old September 9, 2011, 11:14:47 AM
Regigigas

Default 3DS Circle Pad add-on confirmed

Nintendo has announced an add-on for the 3DS that will include a second circle pad and an R2 button. As seen on a leaked image from Famitsu magazine, the add-on fits onto the 3DS like a cradle.

Source: Kotaku.com, N-europe.com
Old September 9, 2011, 11:18:33 AM
Administrator

I'm still not going to buy into this being real until someone can provide better scans.
Old September 9, 2011, 11:39:45 AM
Zoroark

If it's real,then it's not usefull IMO.
Old September 9, 2011, 01:15:47 PM
Haxorus

I see absolutely no point in that accessory...
Old September 10, 2011, 08:12:25 AM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I'm still not going to buy into this being real until someone can provide better scans.
From IGN.com:

Old September 10, 2011, 09:08:21 AM
Haxorus

Looks a little... uncomfortable...

Last edited by alternateshadow300; September 10, 2011 at 09:08:43 AM.
Old September 10, 2011, 09:48:54 AM
Rayquaza

I am not going to buy a 3DS in the first place to buy this one. Plus, I find it quite useless too.
Old September 10, 2011, 10:03:48 AM
Administrator

I'm still trying to figure out if this was made by Capcom or Nintendo themselves. If Capcom, then it will probably just be a few time use add-on like the Guitar Hero strap for the DS games. If not, then I am a bit concerned where this is going. Will this be like the Wii Motion+ where other then a few select games it isn't really needed, or is this going to become something major? If that's the case, I can foresee a revision in the future. If it does become something necessary then those of you who purchased the original model are SOL because now you pretty much have to use this giant monstrosity (unless Nintendo does some trade-in program or something). Nintendo has stated before that there will be no "3DS Lite" since they took much of their design experience from the previous DS models into making this, but an entire control scheme is a big difference. Nintendo is holding a 3DS conference on Tuesday so we'll see what they say then.

This sure has been a wacky ride. Major price drop and a possible revision/major required accessory within a few months of launch? Nintendo really should have done their homework better before releasing this.

(Man am I glad I have patience when it comes to purchasing new systems)

Last edited by Yoshi648; September 10, 2011 at 10:04:46 AM.
Old September 10, 2011, 10:24:18 AM
Administrator

Well, looks like it is real. Still, pretty odd for them already to be releasing something like this, and I guess that means the 3DS will have a funny looking circle pad off to the right side now.

This very much smells like a redesign to me. The price drop could have just been a way to liquidate production so they could work on a new system. The new one may easily be upwards of 200 dollars, or the older one may have its price slashed again. Oh well, I don't regret buying my system at that time due to Wal-Mart's early price drop.
Old September 10, 2011, 10:36:11 AM
Kyurem

Hmm. It looks odd and.. uncomfortable.
I really don't know what this could be used for.

Ehh. Not like I have a 3DS anyways.
Old September 10, 2011, 10:55:03 AM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
This very much smells like a redesign to me.
Well, it doesn't look like a brand new system, just an accessory. Like the Guitar Hero add ons, or the GBA-slot rumble Paks (which I never knew how to get. Not to get too off topic, but does anyone know how people got them? I never saw them in stores).

But still, what would be the point of two circle pads? I was talking with a friend of mine and he said "Nintento doesn't want to leave out all of the left handed people" "Maybe it'll be used for Kid Icarus."

One, Nintendo has been doing that since birth. What console has every had two analog sticks, or have the stick on the right (or anything similar)(I'm not counting C-Stick on Gamecube)? And two, how is Kid Icarus going to get any easier with the addition of a second circle pad?
Old September 10, 2011, 12:20:05 PM
Kyurem

I personally find the addon absolutely pointless. They might be trying to make it somewhat like console controllers, and it might work very well with first-person shooters, but it makes it too big, ugly, and it's nothing like console controllers. I also distinctly remember not many FPSes being on the DS
Old September 10, 2011, 12:57:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariothecellist View Post
But still, what would be the point of two circle pads? I was talking with a friend of mine and he said "Nintento doesn't want to leave out all of the left handed people" "Maybe it'll be used for Kid Icarus."

One, Nintendo has been doing that since birth. What console has every had two analog sticks, or have the stick on the right (or anything similar)(I'm not counting C-Stick on Gamecube)?
It would most likely be for camera control. Like the c-stick was used in many GameCube games, or the right analog stick on the Xbox/PlayStation controllers and even the N64 if you count the C-buttons in place of the second stick. While many games use the second stick for camera controls, it can easily be used with the shoulder buttons to move left and right (how many times did you need a second stick to change the camera in Super Mario Galaxy?). Also I'm left handed and I can use the left analog stick just as fine as anyone right handed.

And for the DS Rumble Pak, it was packaged with Metroid Pinball and available standalone for like $10. Mine was purchased stand-alone at Walmart, and it was like the only place I ever saw it.
Old September 10, 2011, 03:17:22 PM
Haxorus

Okay, camera control. I can undertand that. But I still find it unnecessary for DS games, especially on the 3DS. There's the gyro, the touch screen, and the D-Pad (or the first circle pad if the game depends on the D-Pad more).

But there has to be something more than that for the Circle Pad. Nintendo wouldn't release an accesory to make better camera control for games after its release...or would they? I'm curious as to see what games utilize this new feature and how they do so.
Old September 10, 2011, 04:19:53 PM
Volcarona

I see a few connections with this and the Nunchuck, actually. So I think this might generally be used like it with a few differences in controls.
Old September 11, 2011, 02:15:06 AM
Kyurem

It seems like Nintendo wants their 3DS and WiiU controllers to look just about as similar as they can make them.
Old September 11, 2011, 07:53:18 AM
Giratina

Like everyone else over here, I really don't understand the point behind this circle pad; it looks ugly and uncomfortable to me. I hope Nintendo doesn't make it something major, otherwise existing 3DS owners might become angry and things will not be so good after that.

Last edited by Shadow; September 11, 2011 at 07:53:43 AM.
Old September 11, 2011, 02:13:55 PM
Administrator

What I meant by a redesign was that they'd release a redesigned 3DS soon with the second pad built in. This accessory is for those with the to-be-outdated system.
Old September 16, 2011, 03:12:38 PM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Like everyone else over here, I really don't understand the point behind this circle pad; it looks ugly and uncomfortable to me. I hope Nintendo doesn't make it something major, otherwise existing 3DS owners might become angry and things will not be so good after that.
Agreed. I hope that majority of the future 3DS games don't require it.
Old September 16, 2011, 04:15:08 PM
Landorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigN64 View Post
Agreed. I hope that majority of the future 3DS games don't require it.
Eh, Might just be somthing like the dsi XL, It can play the same games, but only has an add on, like the XL is bigger.