Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old February 1, 2011, 07:31:11 AM
Zoroark

Default Your opinion on Cloud computing

What is your opinion on Cloud computers like Google Chrome OS?

Wave of the future? Failure to launch? OR Something else?
Old February 1, 2011, 01:07:32 PM
Kyurem

...Google Chrome OS isn't, by any possible meaning of the phrase, "Cloud Computing".

Amazon EC2 and Microsoft Azure are the standard cloud computing platforms (the former generally considered dominant). Google Web Apps for Businesses could be considered by some to resemble a cloud platform as well.
Old February 1, 2011, 01:39:21 PM
Giratina

I can see where they'd be applied in business, but personal computers don't require it yet. There's plenty of power in a single machine for relatively cheap. Maybe in 10 or so years when internet rates and servers can effectively play games or something similar on a large scale could we adopt this on a wider scale.

Plus there's a lot of security involved, which may get in the way of things.
Old February 1, 2011, 06:05:57 PM
Administrator

In some ways, I embrace cloud computing, while in others, I don't like it. I could see it being a great way to protect your files but then you can't physically hold the disk with them on it, which is something I like (but hate for the physical media getting damaged or lost).
Old February 1, 2011, 06:51:14 PM
Zoroark

In Chrome OS, you can't do anything with local files. You are stuck in a browser window. Forcing you to use web apps like Google Docs, and Picnic. Over all I think Google Chrome OS has its place in the laptop world, and maybe for home users who do nothing but check their email.

For System Admins like myself they are working on a feature called "Chomemotting" which is basically Remote desktop. But I don't see it knocking Windows off my desk just yet.

Over all Great laptop for anybody who travels and only needs the internet, but if you need more stick with Windows (or Mac or Linux) for now at least.
Old February 1, 2011, 08:02:01 PM
Volcarona

Cloud is a meaning less buzz word. Can anyone describe what it does?
Yes, chrome is advertised as "cloud" but what does that mean really.
Quote:
"It meas its on google servers and i can not lose my stuff...."
So is hotmail aol etc... it has existed for a long time since really the "dumb terminal" and mainframe pcs days. Each cloud is really different you have the google cloud (applications, email) , then you have the Amazon cloud which is where you can do anything like a vps or dedicated server. Then you even have the cloud were using here that does virtural servers. Even linux and mac pcs have there own "cloud" because they are multi-user operating systems. I can send the gui accross any network and display on a remote pc. I can also do the reverse. The only pc that dosen't do this is the windows OS (yes it can have up to 2 users loged in) but you have to have pro or server os for that to work.

Yes its a rant but I don't care.

So what does cloud mean to me. Nothing.
Old February 2, 2011, 02:52:36 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfKYA View Post
Cloud is a meaning less buzz word. Can anyone describe what it does?
Yes, chrome is advertised as "cloud" but what does that mean really
Cloud computing means that all the computers are set up to be connected to a server farm that does all the work for them. If you made a map of the network it would be similar in shape to a cloud, from what I've seen.

And you're wrong on the fake definition you devised to fuel your meaningless rant, and the examples you thought up. You would be correct if we were talking about Internet NAS, though.

In more detail, Cloud Computing is remote computing. In this form, the client has no processor, no hard drive (Except some ROM to boot the OS), and only has a NIC, RAM, a GPU, and maybe a USB port or two.

In this system, the client will request what it wants from the server, the server will process it all, then send the output to the client. So, in effect, the client is just a monitor. I could copy and paste the entire wikipedia article that says basically all this in a level of detail I'm incapable of, but I think you'll be able to find it for yourself.
Old February 2, 2011, 03:33:53 AM
Kyurem

...Cloud computing is a term used to describe the scalability of cloud platforms like Amazon EC2/EC3 and Microsoft Azure. It is not, in any sense of the word, remote computing, nor is it any "Google" web browser, nor is it any single user-facing service like Hotmail or Gmail.

(Basically, I agree with KYA.)

Edit: Yeah, when I think about it its basically pointless to even debate it. It is nothing more than a buzz word; Oracle's Larry Elison (sp?) said it himself - they've been doing "cloud computing" for 30 years. Everything we're doing is cloud computing I guess... God I hate that term so much.

Last edited by FreezeWarp; February 2, 2011 at 03:35:34 AM.
Old February 2, 2011, 07:40:16 AM
Zoroark

Cloud computing is when the computer in front of you isn't doing to work. Have you ever used a Wyse Terminal, or any other thin client? The piece of hardware in front of you is doing nothing more than sending keyboard and mouse input to a Server. Who in return sends monitor output. Is that Cloud Computing? Why wouldn't it be?

What about when you use a web app like Google Docs or DeviantART Muro? Nothing is happening on the users computer.

They use the word "cloud" to refer to the Internet. Its used a little too loosely these days. KYA is right about Windows, Mac, and Linux having their own "cloud". But its not called a cloud. As I mentioned early, the word "cloud" is used to refer to the Internet, So yes and no to every computer having its own "cloud". Its the same technology, but used over WLAN instead of LAN. I haven't used Mac Remote Desktop but I have used Windows and Linux (Ubuntu) and Windows blows Linux out of the watter when it comes to Terminal Services.

Google Chrome OS is called "cloud" because it forces you to use webapps, so if you suddenly have your notebook destroyed, your files (the one you where working on if you where using Google Docs) are on the Google Servers. Your history, downloaded files, profile picture, and bookmarks (unless you set up Sync in Chrome, which you can do in Chrome on any OS) are all stored locally and will be lost.
Old February 2, 2011, 02:16:15 PM
Volcarona

Also to add the the INTERNET is a cloud definition. All that it means is that you don't care about exectely how you get there you just know where you going not really the the way. Go look at a network diagram.

Now on the topic of linux "cloud" see attached file the application Virtual Machine Manger is NOT running on my pc. Also note unlike termianl services it integrated with my window manger rather than the windows route of showing the entire desktop that why I like it better.

And before more people say we have no idea what we are talkign about or wikipedia is GOD.

I am studding and will get my first level cisco cert soon. And above me Buoysel has a A+ cert. So we do have some clue.

Congrats on the A+ by the way. Buoysel(also check out http://elance.com for some good paying freelance work Certs will help get jobs)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-5.png
Views:	331
Size:	810.0 KB
ID:	1766  

Last edited by KingOfKYA; February 2, 2011 at 02:18:19 PM.
Old February 2, 2011, 06:58:28 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfKYA View Post
Also note unlike termianl services it integrated with my window manger rather than the windows route of showing the entire desktop that why I like it better.
That is a new feature in Windows Server 2008 Terminal Services.
Quote:
I am studding and will get my first level cisco cert soon. And above me Buoysel has a A+ cert. So we do have some clue.

Congrats on the A+ by the way. Buoysel(also check out http://elance.com for some good paying freelance work Certs will help get jobs)
Not only that, KYA helps run the server that VR is hosted on.

Thanks for the link I was wanting to find a tech related job.

Last edited by Buoysel; February 2, 2011 at 06:58:45 PM.
Old February 4, 2011, 04:16:20 AM
Linoone

I'm not a huge fan of the cloud.

There are times where all I want to do is type something up, watch a video file, or play a game offline, and if Comcast decides to go out that day/hour I can't do that since there is no local storage.

I can see the practical application of it being used for backup of important files. But I would feel safer with having my important files away from the prying eyes of the internet, just in case.
Old February 4, 2011, 01:52:26 PM
Kyurem

Because Google Chrome OS and VR's server are totally the same thing...