Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > Pokémon > Other Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Black and White

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you play Pokemon competitively?
Yes 26 65.00%
No 6 15.00%
I want to 8 20.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 26, 2011, 04:57:48 AM
Shaymin

I have a pretty awesome team, I just need more time to actually play it, but yes I do sometimes competitively battle.

Prizes:
Old October 1, 2011, 03:30:18 AM
Keldeo

How'd I get better?
I got my ass kicked by Kaz a bunch, thats how. xD NOW THAT MAN WAS A TRUE RIVAL! We'd constantly compete and come up with different statedgys to the point where we knew how each other thought inside and out. That definitely drove me to learning new things about the metagame in order to keep up with him. =p

I didn't know you played competitively Ashy. =p

I'll tell ya what I know~ =w=

1) Don't be afraid to take risk: In the competitive scene everyones team has amaaaazing team synergy! They'll constantly be making safe switches to a pokemon that can counter yours. To stop this you gotta be brave, read who they'll send in and counter there counter! One turn can make all the difference in this game.

2) ANALYZE ANALYZE ANALYZE: I can't stress this enough! Read your opponent like a childrens book! Everybody has tendencys and habits when they play whether it be over-predicting, or under-predicting. Analyze them constantly during the match and learn there tendencys.

3) Develop team synergy: In this game you really are using a team. =p Make your pokemon cover for the others weaknesses and vice versa. You're only as strong as your weakest link.

4) Make unpredictable but productive moveset: Hurr ok well this one isn't a must, but its what I did alooot and man it helped! I constantly gave my pokemon weird, but good movesets. Everyone expects you too have a standard edition smogon moveset. It throws the opponent off majoooorly just by rearranging the EVs or altering a moveset so your pokemon fills a role that it usually wouldn't. It also earns you lotsa respect points. :3 Just make sure your pokemon can fill whatever role your thinking of. Your defensive zoroark won't be walling a lucario anytime soon. =p

5) Don't take advice from Sunny: He hasn't played this game competitively for like a year. :V

Last edited by Sunny; October 1, 2011 at 03:31:35 AM.
Old October 1, 2011, 08:35:40 PM
Kyurem

You know sunny, thats how i play sometimes. thats why i got so many different eved pokemon to mix it up alot. (Thats why my team will mostly be sort of random at time)
If u want to contact me: Twitter: @kakashidragon, Youtube channel: kakashidragon, Discord: kakashidragon#9125 Deviantart: kakashidragon Tumblr: kakashidragon

Last edited by kakashidragon; October 1, 2011 at 08:36:15 PM.
Old October 14, 2011, 03:39:36 AM
Kyurem

I play Pokémon for fun. If I do battles online, I will take care of competitive stuff, but I'm more into having fun. Not having a lot to worry about is a great thing indeed. (I do still train my stuff, though, just in case.)
Old May 24, 2012, 09:49:05 PM
Kyurem

So how many people have lv 100 pokemon for b/w for DS battles. Ive been waiting for more opponets to crush.
If u want to contact me: Twitter: @kakashidragon, Youtube channel: kakashidragon, Discord: kakashidragon#9125 Deviantart: kakashidragon Tumblr: kakashidragon

Last edited by kakashidragon; May 24, 2012 at 09:49:39 PM.
Old May 30, 2012, 02:58:53 AM
Zoroark

I joined the VGC 2012 competition and... kinda failed miserably. XD I plan on attending in the future and doing more research on the metagame.
Old May 30, 2012, 03:17:49 PM
Giratina

I started battling with EVs and everything in Gen 4 and I was okay. But all I really knew back then was what pokemon were powerful. I didn't know any strategy or anything but now I do. Coming to VR and joining other forums, helped me a lot!
Old June 16, 2013, 11:09:00 AM
Pikachu

I know it's been quite awhile since the last post, but i still think i should post my opinion over this topic. I think it has been a year since i got into competitive battles, and by far i'm really enjoying it. The main problem with me is with people who are "smogon****" and just take everything about battling seriously to the point where Pokémon are nothing but "chess pieces" to them. It's nice to battle with Pokémon you like, all you gotta do is see what your favorite pokés can do, and make a team with that they do best, that's all, but the whole smogon thing sometimes forces people to use pokémon just because they're stronger, what else they're going to lose. I really think that some people should not take everything to the edge, and just try to see the "fun factor" about the game.

Last edited by Reuniclus; June 16, 2013 at 11:12:08 AM.
Old July 3, 2013, 09:11:55 AM
Cyndaquil

Honestly, I used to be completely against EV training, nature breeding, and IV breeding, simply because the online forum I frequented was full of teams that people had that were identical to one another. I didn't want to fall into that mindless training of the same thing as everyone else, so I stayed away from it and continued my old way of training with just levels.

Somewhere down the road I realized what I was missing out on. I began breeding and training like I should have been, and eventually I raised a ton of great Pokémon.

I still stay away from online battling to avoid the sameness everyone seems to share, and I still manage to make my own unique teams and move sets with a few friends that battle with me whenever we get a chance.

TLDR; I agree with the idea that Maogi said about Smogon making Pokémon like "chess pieces" to them. Raise your favorites, be creative, have fun!

Poliwager Forums is a small, friendly Pokémon forum. Come visit us!
Old July 3, 2013, 02:41:02 PM
Kyurem

I actually started competitively battling somewhere around when B/W came out. I had no idea what EVs and IVs were at the time and I honestly could not tell what was going on. But now that I understand it more, I'm able to have more fun creating offbeat teams that have actually done pretty well for themselves. I surprise myself with how decently my mono-Grass team has held, even holding their own against teams that I shouldn't get even close to beating when it comes to type disadvantages. XD

Old July 3, 2013, 03:42:12 PM
Giratina

Hmm, well even though I'm quite a bit of a good battler, I suppose, I'm definitely not a competitive battler. Sure it's fun but I can't do competitions because I will always lose. My friend taught be the basics about EVs and IVs and so I went into that further because I like learning. I have a very effective way to speed through EV training and have great IVs in only a few minutes, but that's only just to battle for points or recreation. I focus mostly on giving love to my all Grass Type Team.
When all the things in the world start to fall apart, you can call on Team PokéHeroSmash! Turtwig, Infernape, Charizard, Pikachu, and Buizel! (Based off of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time)
http://i50.tinypic.com/24fyycx.png

Tags
competitive, pokemon, smogon