Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 25, 2012, 09:25:58 AM
Zoroark

Default What makes you "too young"

I'm not talking about being not too old to play toys or too young to play GTA, but the things like VCR and computers that separate the generations: the bracket of time you are born.

When I try to get deeper into constructed languages, I found a mailing list operating from beginning of this hobby on the Internet, and I didn't join because mailing lists seem too invonvenint for me, and what is newsgroup?: I am too young
I never use IRC: I am too young
Never bother to even browse newsgroups: I am too young
I don't use vi nor emacs: hackers older than me will laugh
I never use Lisp: too young
Pokemon Emerald is my favorite gen because it has nostalgic connections to me: Someone older than me who grew up with Mega Man and Mario laughed

Last edited by SpaceMan++; July 25, 2012 at 09:26:19 AM.
Old July 25, 2012, 09:35:29 AM
Rayquaza

I am too young I don't know what Windows used to exist prior Windows 95.
Old July 25, 2012, 09:59:50 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spirit of Time View Post
I am too young I don't know what Windows used to exist prior Windows 95.
I grew up with Windows 98 and XP, but I did know about the older versions. Blame tech magazines.
Old July 25, 2012, 11:47:31 AM
Charizard

Pokemon Sapphire was my first Pokemon game.
Old July 25, 2012, 03:41:39 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Swampert View Post
Pokemon Sapphire was my first Pokemon game.
Hah! Diamond was MY first!
Super Star Ultra was my first Kirby game, and I didn't know what Star Fox was until Brawl, even though I had Melee. I get nostalgia from things in 2007. I think that's it.
Old July 25, 2012, 05:52:29 PM
Administrator

I've never felt too old for some things, like old-school gaming, early DOS machines, phonographs (record players), and CRT monitors. I love learning about the roots of technology and not only seeing but also experiencing what it was like to use old devices. Even more, I love putting old tech to modern uses. Ever seen a USB 1 TB hard drive fully functioning on MS-DOS 6.0? Or MS-DOS beeping a modern tune? An NES doing the same? An old Nokia cell phone? A floppy disk booting in a computer with RAM measured in gigabytes? Demaking part of Pokémon BW to a GBC game? There's a reason I love this stuff. :3

I know another thing to add on to this. Older folks may laugh at how spoiled kids are with technology these days, especially with kids carrying $200+ phones (Please be quiet if you want to say your phone was less than that; that's how those contracts work.) and only using them to text friends all day and play games, or kids who are on Facebook all day.
Old July 25, 2012, 07:14:47 PM
Giratina

My phone was freeeee~ Well half my phone IS a PlayStation controller. What else would you expect me to do with it? Read? That's like soooo why I got a Kindle for Kwanzaaaaa~
I feel young when I relate "Classic Cartoons" to Chalkzone and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.
Old July 25, 2012, 10:56:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
I feel young when I relate "Classic Cartoons" to Chalkzone and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.
There's nothing wrong with that. Something that's classic means it's a defining symbol of quality for a given time period. Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies are often considered classics due to all the Warner Bros. icons they showed off. Many will likely argue that MLP: Friendship is Magic is now a classic cartoon.
Old July 25, 2012, 11:25:26 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
There's nothing wrong with that. Something that's classic means it's a defining symbol of quality for a given time period. Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies are often considered classics due to all the Warner Bros. icons they showed off. Many will likely argue that MLP: Friendship is Magic is now a classic cartoon.
Classic in the sense of youth and childtimes. Not like "That was an instant classic." It's one of the oldest things I remember watching.
Old July 26, 2012, 04:18:40 AM
Shaymin

I'm just gonna say it really depends on the environment you grew up in. If you were surround by older kids (like I was, mostly boys too) then you would've been introduced to things before your "time" at a young age, so nonetheless I'm very familiar with things that many kids my age would be considered too young to have enjoyed. I'm not even sure if that was the answer you were looking for, but I thought it'd be mildly relevant here.
Old July 28, 2012, 04:03:07 PM
Cyndaquil

I'd say kids have way too much nowadays. Now 13 year olds run around with iPhones and tablets, in my day, we had Pokémon cards and a trampoline.

Did I just say 'in my day'? Ah geez.