Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games

Notices

Search this Thread
Old March 5, 2014, 09:39:12 PM
Kyurem

Default The video game conversation thread

Feel free to talk about pretty much everything that doesn't seem to be worth its own topic (like random comments about a video game, or something more personal) here. (As long as it's within the forum rules, it'll be fine.)

I think... uh, I'll start.

Anyone intentionally buy a console or game after a significant delay?
Old March 5, 2014, 09:40:43 PM
Giratina

The only reason I bought my Wii U on my birthday was to get Earthbound That was ~a year after its release. If it wasn't for that I would've waited even more time for a better deal on the Deluxe version.

Last edited by TurtwigX; March 5, 2014 at 09:40:55 PM.
Old March 5, 2014, 09:44:13 PM
Keldeo

Normally, yeah. But if it's a game that just looks bloody amazing pre-release, like most main series Pokémon games and until recently Super Mario, I'll spend the extra $10 I could have saved through Amazon.
Old March 5, 2014, 09:47:25 PM
Giratina

Pokémon until now has appealed to me enough to buy release date. Whatever the sequel to X and Y will be... I'm studying it before I think of buying it. I feel let down. Most Wii U games it seems I won't be able to purchase until a price drop either. I... I can't afford a $60 game. I don't make honest money... I need Super Mario 3D World so badly...
Old March 5, 2014, 11:26:36 PM
Administrator

Just an FYI, I may actually separate a set of posts from this thread into its own thread if a significant discussion arises in order to make it easier to find. (Don't worry, you aren't doing anything wrong if this happens. )

I have never bought a console on its release, usually waiting for a price drop, sale, or enough games to come out. I have, however, bought several games at their releases. Interestingly enough, I bought Pokémon Sapphire on its release only two and a half months after first getting into the core series Pokémon games, during that time I had played both Silver and Red.
Old March 6, 2014, 02:32:12 AM
Kyurem

I usually try my best to not pay full price of PC games, as they usually end up in a deal sooner or later. (Even if it means years before actually playing it...)

On another topic, do you use a controller on a PC? (I almost never do that unless it's a platformer, then I might consider it.)
Old March 6, 2014, 02:59:58 AM
Giratina

Ugh, keyboard controls are the reason I refuse to do PC gaming now, even for games that run fine on my computer like Portal. Keyboard controls, as customizable as they are, are too far out for me to feel comfortable. I want someone to get a connector working for the Wii U Pro Controller so I can just plug in it through USB and play that way.
How about anyone else, keyboards vs. controllers? Hey look, another idea for a one-off thread.
Old March 6, 2014, 04:09:13 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
Ugh, keyboard controls are the reason I refuse to do PC gaming now, even for games that run fine on my computer like Portal. Keyboard controls, as customizable as they are, are too far out for me to feel comfortable. I want someone to get a connector working for the Wii U Pro Controller so I can just plug in it through USB and play that way.
Most current-generation PC games are designed to work well with the Xbox 360 controller. You might want to start from there.

Quote:
How about anyone else, keyboards vs. controllers?
I stick with keyboard and mouse for pretty much everything other than some platformers and emulation.

Quote:
Hey look, another idea for a one-off thread.
(This thread comes in handy when it comes to things like this )
Old March 6, 2014, 06:38:51 AM
Keldeo

If a game lets me really customize the controls, I'll try to set mine up like but buttons on a DS or other controller (WASD, [] and ;' ). (Never understood why everything defaults the controls to arrow keys and ZX. ) On first person/first person overhead games I'll use whatever the default configurations are, usually the mouse and WASD.

I may pick up an Xbox controller some time to try it out. (Plus I'd like to mess around programming things with one).
Old March 6, 2014, 07:22:58 AM
Haxorus

I quite like playing with a 360 controller. Certain games just feel better that way. I haven't played most of the games in my Steam library, mainly due to my slow internet not allowing me to download anything in a timely manner. Most platformers and indie games work very well with a controller, though.
Old March 6, 2014, 07:30:54 AM
Volcarona

Looks like the biggest reason I'm getting a PS4 is for 2 games for when they come out:

1. Final Fantasy versus
2. Kingdom Hearts 3 (Darn you, why couldn't you be for the Wii U?)

Speaking of Wii U, the only games I'm currently looking forward to now are Monster hunter 4 Ultimate, X, and SSB.
Old March 6, 2014, 08:15:04 AM
Giratina

I would do 360, but it just requires so much maintenance. I'd have to buy a Bluetooth adapter and I don't even know if my computer supports that... I just know the Wii U Pro controller has a USB charger, so I just want to add 2 and 2.
Old March 16, 2014, 01:39:44 PM
Volcarona

Any Rune Factory 4 players out there? how many hearts do I have to get to marry a batchelorette? I'm about to ragequit.

not sure if this was the right thread to post this...
Old March 17, 2014, 10:00:34 AM
Kyurem

I suspect that most people here just play things that everyone plays. (the games that everyone plays do have some kind of indescribable appeal, be it Mario Kart or Call of Duty... There's almost always an audience for both of them, and many more popular game franchises. Rune Factory? Not so much.)

On another topic, it sure looks like my games library is too big for my own good... This backlog is kind of getting out of hand. Guess that's what happens when you have so many things to deal with in life, and when that gets compounded by the fact that you can find sweet deals, or even bundles for PC games often.
Old March 17, 2014, 01:38:30 PM
Administrator

Backlogs? Don't even get me started. Counting only physical games, I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 titles. Throwing digital games on top, I've probably got over 700. Yes, I indeed blame sites like Humble Bundle and GOG for constantly having killer deals.
Old March 17, 2014, 01:59:12 PM
Mudkip

IM SO EXCITED FOR DRAGON AGE: INQUISITION.

I NEED MY QUNARI ROMANCE.
Old March 17, 2014, 02:27:50 PM
Mudkip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
Feel free to talk about pretty much everything that doesn't seem to be worth its own topic (like random comments about a video game, or something more personal) here. (As long as it's within the forum rules, it'll be fine.)

I think... uh, I'll start.

Anyone intentionally buy a console or game after a significant delay?
I'm waiting for a drop in XBone prices. I can only see myself playing Destiny and Titanfall. Maybe just Destiny.

Bungie makes good stuff.
Old March 17, 2014, 02:47:11 PM
Giratina

I'm still trying to determine if I want an Xbox One or no. I mean, Halo 5 is worth it, but... I don't want another expensive paperweight.
Old March 17, 2014, 04:09:53 PM
Keldeo

Up until recently I wasn't considering getting a Wii U. Then I remembered Mario Kart 8 is coming out, and getting a Wii U has become a legitimate possibility.

Of course, I still need to learn if it's possible to use one on a television that's older than I am and decide if I'd rather invest in a 3DS capture card or something similar with utility value. Or one of the thousands of amazing but obscure GameCube games.
Old March 17, 2014, 04:23:09 PM
Administrator

The Wii U will work fine on a TV lacking high definition capabilities. Simply use the cable for the Wii with it. I think all the games are in widescreen, though, so you'll always have bars on the top and bottom when playing on a 4:3 screen.
Old March 17, 2014, 05:27:00 PM
Volcarona

figured as much. It's a shame that Rune factory isn't that popular-- I think it's a really nice franchise.
Old March 17, 2014, 06:36:42 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
I'm still trying to determine if I want an Xbox One or no. I mean, Halo 5 is worth it, but... I don't want another expensive paperweight.
Honestly I would buy an Xbone over a PS4... but I don't really want either of them. There aren't many games and the ones there are don't look very interesting to me. I guess all of the developers are scrambling to make games for the new hardware... and on that note, I'm quite looking forward to E3 this year, now that the hardware has been out for some time. It'll either be really exciting or really disappointing.
Old March 17, 2014, 07:33:14 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post
Honestly I would buy an Xbone over a PS4... but I don't really want either of them. There aren't many games and the ones there are don't look very interesting to me. I guess all of the developers are scrambling to make games for the new hardware... and on that note, I'm quite looking forward to E3 this year, now that the hardware has been out for some time. It'll either be really exciting or really disappointing.
I know for a fact I'm not getting a PS4, Sony has long gone fallen out of my favor. But as a super fan of Halo I need to know the lineup for the Xbox One. Titan Fall looks somewhat interesting, but I think I'll wait till E3 before making any decisions. Not like I'd buy one before Smash Bros. 4 anyway
Old March 18, 2014, 02:52:43 AM
Kyurem

I'd strongly suggest that you wait until a game that you really want is out to positive reviews

(For online-only games, add some time for networks to cool down.)
Old March 18, 2014, 12:53:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
(For online-only games, add some time for networks to cool down.)
I think this can also be said for games that should be single-player but require phoning home.
Old March 20, 2014, 11:59:41 AM
Haxorus

I've been offered to trade Wonderful 101 and WWHD/Pikmin 3 for The Stick of Truth. Should I go for it?
Old March 20, 2014, 12:19:20 PM
Keldeo

I've been hearing a lot about this "Stick of Truth" game recently. Like, all over the Internet. Maybe I'm biased because I think South Park is stupid, but is it really that amazing?
Old March 20, 2014, 12:22:23 PM
Haxorus

I rented it a couple days ago. It's actually a really solid RPG. It's pretty basic, yes, but it's really fun to play and quite funny. It is an Obsidian title, however, so there are a couple bugs in the games still. (thoughts from someone who is not me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trfA...zT-Xvr070VaGsw)

(I still want more after I rented it, if that's any indication)

Last edited by blueumbreon; March 20, 2014 at 12:29:32 PM.
Old March 20, 2014, 03:23:53 PM

Pokemon Battle Trozei

Thoughts (Spoilers)    

Positives:
-New exciting way to line Pokemon up
-The rank system gives the game a bigger challenge
-The music is nice
-There is actually strategy involved, you need to try to line up a set of specific Pokemon first in order to get a super-effective hit

Negatives:
-The plot is nonexistant (yet)
-There are no hints or explanations to get certain special Pokemon
Old March 20, 2014, 06:16:46 PM
Rayquaza

I just got my copy.

Whenever I here the title I immediately think of this.

That game came out eight years ago and I still can't get that beat out of my head.

Last edited by Magmaster12; March 20, 2014 at 06:17:41 PM.
Old March 22, 2014, 08:22:33 PM
Keldeo

Call me stupid, but I only recently realized the value of Draco Meteor and similar moves.

Riding in circles trying to rack up enough happiness on all my prospective Dragons is a pain :\
Old March 24, 2014, 08:52:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonite View Post
Call me stupid, but I only recently realized the value of Draco Meteor and similar moves.

Riding in circles trying to rack up enough happiness on all my prospective Dragons is a pain :\
You could always spam Kelpsy Berries or other EV-reducing berries to make a Pokemon happier.
Old March 24, 2014, 09:03:48 AM
Keldeo

If I still had any : P (all my Pokémon are still in Black)
Could also spam the haircut guys or just transfer them over and be done with it, but . . . meh.

Last edited by Dragonite; March 24, 2014 at 09:04:13 AM. Reason: because emoticons are weird
Old April 13, 2014, 06:49:19 AM
Kyurem

I... it looks like I'm enjoying PC gaming a lot more ever since I got my Asus G56JR. It felt great to see games that used to be unplayable even at the lowest possible settings to fly at 1080p high.

It also didn't toast the desk, either!

Last edited by Twiggy; April 13, 2014 at 06:49:40 AM.
Old April 18, 2014, 12:06:14 PM
Volcarona

Just a question, but how many people here owns Kid Icarus Uprising?

Please like this post if you do have the game... I've been really wanting to see if it's worth making a clan for it, like TL. If enough people have the game, I may just do it.
Old April 18, 2014, 12:18:04 PM
Giratina

Me and Suicune love playing Kicarus Uprising. Little known fact: he bows down to me as his superior because he knows he'll never be better than me~
Old April 21, 2014, 06:53:36 PM
Keldeo

One of these days, I shall beat World 1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	qwefX79.png
Views:	669
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	6110  
Old April 21, 2014, 07:05:40 PM
Giratina

Quote:
One of these days, I shall beat World 1.
Please tell me that's Lost Levels and not the original Super Mario Bros.
Old April 21, 2014, 07:05:53 PM

Quote:
Me and Suicune love playing Kicarus Uprising. Little known fact: he bows down to me as his superior because he knows he'll never be better than me~
Is that so? Homing attacks seem to be a weakness of yours.
Old April 21, 2014, 07:07:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Please tell me that's Lost Levels and not the original Super Mario Bros.
Even then it's not too bad. I've beaten both of 'em loads of times.
Old April 21, 2014, 07:08:16 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuniclus View Post
Is that so? Homing attacks seem to be a weakness of yours.
And just like how slow you are with that reply, you get confused easily when I completely disappear from the map and then show up knocking you off the edge. I know it's hard to admit, but you just can't win against Turty~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Even then it's not too bad. I've beaten both of 'em loads of times.
That picture is of a Game Over on the first level.

Last edited by TurtwigX; April 21, 2014 at 07:09:09 PM.
Old April 21, 2014, 07:16:00 PM
Keldeo

You do not understand how bad at platformers I am.

Edit: apparently I'm just as good at attaching the wrong attachment : P
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	00002.png
Views:	620
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	6113  

Last edited by Dragonite; April 21, 2014 at 07:18:12 PM.
Old April 21, 2014, 07:20:18 PM
Giratina

Oh my God I feel so sorry for you. I remember when I used to be that bad. Then I got this total JERK of a friend who was all "I can beat the game without even looking a-hyuck!" and I had to learn how to get better so I could shut his mouth up. To this day we always race at every party we go to.
Edit: Oh, just to show how bad I was, I first beat the game legally in 2012. I first played SMB when SMB Deluxe came out on GBC.

Last edited by TurtwigX; April 21, 2014 at 07:21:23 PM.
Old April 21, 2014, 07:22:35 PM
Keldeo

Well to be fair, I'm slowly getting better. I did somehow beat 1-2 and 1-3 today . . .
Old April 21, 2014, 07:24:01 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Well to be fair, I'm slowly getting better. I did somehow beat 1-2 and 1-3 today . . .
I forgot what 1-3 looked like because I haven't been there in months The warp pipe is just so compelling I can't never skip it.
But in your defense, the SMB physics are incredibly stupid and SMB3 is a much better game.
Old April 21, 2014, 07:29:56 PM
Keldeo

The controls are stiffer than a board, too, I think that's what keeps tripping me up. Last platformer I played was NSMBW, there's a bit of a difference between them : P
Old April 21, 2014, 07:35:24 PM
Giratina

Quote:
The controls are stiffer than a board, too, I think that's what keeps tripping me up. Last platformer I played was NSMBW, there's a bit of a difference between them : P
The difference between NSMB and NSMBW ALONE is terrifying. It took me TWO HOURS to beat 1-1 when I first got that game. Then after 2 weeks of playing it I could never stop shaking my DS when I played NSMB. The newer Mario games are just so smooth you really have to be an NES fanatic or an Assembly programmer to truly feel the controls.
Old April 22, 2014, 06:04:04 PM
Keldeo

Finally beat a few more levels of SMB1!

. . . and then I accidentally overwrote my Restore Point on a Game Over screen and got sent back to World 1-1. Go, me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vfsIJkd.png
Views:	471
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	6114  
Old April 23, 2014, 11:41:48 AM
Haxorus

Anybody here play Advanced Wars by chance?
Old April 26, 2014, 01:05:35 PM
Keldeo

So I have discovered Missingno. exists in Harry Potter, too.

Unrelated, but I just remembered this:

Quote:
Then after 2 weeks of playing it I could never stop shaking my DS when I played NSMB.
MK7, in a car ride going through the mountains. Best gaming experience of my life.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FtMln4D.png
Views:	465
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	6131  

Last edited by Dragonite; April 26, 2014 at 01:12:14 PM.
Old April 27, 2014, 07:19:59 AM
Giratina

I feel like there should be an image combining Giygas and the Game Boy Camera error screen. This is a fantastic idea.

"Nessnessnessnessnessnessness....
w..h...o......a..r..e......y..o...u.....r..u..n..n ..n..i..n..g.....f..r..o..m?"
Old June 1, 2014, 07:43:34 AM
Kyurem

It feels strange to have a non-brick laptop playing current games at high, if not ultra settings, at 1080p.

So much power in a portable package.
Old June 6, 2014, 08:05:32 PM
Giratina

And so we've reached the very end of the work/school/IhavenothingtodowithmylifeGodsaveme week, and the start of the next is E3!!! I remember last year's all too well; Microsoft's hilarious misfortune, Sony's unnecessary cockiness, Nintendo unveiling Wii Fit Baby and how I made 4 drawings and a song... what might E3 have in store for us this year? *Crosses fingers for a near Smash Bros. release date*
Old June 6, 2014, 09:09:47 PM
Keldeo

Maybe we'll even get some real ORAS footage!

Also some news on Golden Sun 4. We know you're going to do it eventually, Camelot, stop beating around the bush! You even just finished your last big title!
Old June 6, 2014, 09:16:48 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Maybe we'll even get some real ORAS footage!

Also some news on Golden Sun 4. We know you're going to do it eventually, Camelot, stop beating around the bush! You even just finished your last big title!
Ooh yes, I'd love a reason to actually consider the game. Hopefully that includes some real music, it was oddly missing from the last TWO trailers.

Maybe we'll also get some more info on X and Bayonetta 2. Haven't heard much in a while, and yet they've still remained on my important list...
Old June 6, 2014, 09:28:47 PM
Keldeo

They promised a "large scoop" on the 15th. (Of course, relative to the last time they "promised footage" anything longer than about a minute and a half would be seen as a "large scoop.")
Old June 9, 2014, 04:03:42 AM
Kyurem

I just discovered NVIDIA's hidden frame rate limiter for games

Suddenly, no game has frame rate swings anymore. Locked 30 FPS is extremely nice for consistency and reducing perceived stutter.
Old June 10, 2014, 02:49:07 PM
Administrator

As an annual reminder, be sure to spend your expiring Club Nintendo coins soon!
Old June 27, 2014, 03:04:45 AM
Administrator

Well, I finally found the real definitions of the abbreviation "LP" when referring to gaming videos. It stands for two different, but related, concepts.

A "longplay" is a video play-through of a video game, intended to be complete, and may therefore also be a walkthrough. It does not need to be quick, as that would be a speedrun.

A "Let's Play" is a play-through of a video game accompanied by commentary. There are two forms of Let's Play. The video form typically is overdubbed with audio commentary and may be split into episodes. The screen form typically contains involves a set of screenshots containing text captions, usually with each segment being a post on a forum.
Old June 27, 2014, 12:48:57 PM
Joltik

Default MIIVERSE ADMINS SUCK

I'm Restricted... and for a pretty stupid reason too.
So me and my (Miiverse) freinds Are discussing how stupid and unrelated shrek and hatty are. and then we made little fight scenes with the doodler. so a brogre posts after my post "That's Why Donkey Is Here!" With A drawing of donkey.
So I Posted My reaction to my childhood favorite shrek character following a Pedo
(Shrek is love, Shrek is life Video) By Saying "Get out b4 you get *****". then the satanic force awakes from its slumber.
ADMIN!!!!!! Delete Post Here, Delete Post There, Then The Admin Deletes That Entire Conversation. I start a new one And The Admin Starts To Go Through my history and deletes almost EVERYTHING. the final deleted post was claimed to be sexually explicit. it Said "Go Watch Shrek Is Love, Shrek Is Life, Brogres Love That Stuff"
First of all How is that explicit? other than shrek is love, shrek is life, Which EVERYONE POSTS. Second its obvious that the admin Selected that to restrict me. third, the admins give you 3 crappy choices to tell the admin he screwed up. Admins SUCK. This Post Was Deleted By An Administrator.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; June 27, 2014 at 06:56:55 PM. Reason: This post was edited by an administrator. ;)
Old June 28, 2014, 01:55:11 AM
Administrator

Just a reminder: some Club Nintendo coins may expire on the 30th, so use them up ASAP.

I just hit platinum status. Unfortunately, I already own the two games I'm interested in on the Wii Virtual Console, so I had to settle for Kirby's Dream Land and Electroplankton.

(Is it just me or all the non-game prizes junk right now?)

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; June 28, 2014 at 01:59:08 AM.
Old July 27, 2014, 10:48:33 PM
Administrator

I decided to start a new file in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, and I saw this interesting e-mail rather early on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Snapshot_20140727_233541.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	6245  
Old July 28, 2014, 12:07:49 AM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
I decided to start a new file in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, and I saw this interesting e-mail rather early on.
Paper Mario used **** before it was popular. #hipsterswag

Last edited by CinnabarPyro; July 28, 2014 at 12:11:12 AM.
Old November 9, 2014, 03:49:14 PM
Keldeo

So my mom tried playing Portal today. It was . . . uh, interesting.

It's kind of weird, me and my sister were able to figure the game out instantly, but my mom and my cousin were completely lost.

Also, I started using the Pokéwalker again. That thing rocks.

Last edited by Dragonite; November 10, 2014 at 10:15:06 AM.
Old November 12, 2014, 05:21:30 PM
Administrator

I have spotted one of the rarest Atari 2600 titles, Swordquest: WaterWorld in the wild...but I'm not gonna pay $200 for it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20141112_004.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	6545  
Old November 12, 2014, 06:39:18 PM
Rayquaza

Hey Cat do you usually collect Atari games?
Old November 12, 2014, 07:23:22 PM
Administrator

Not usually. I'm just looking for a few specific classics. I've got about four dozen shovelware games that I don't really like/care about. (My grand total number of games is 100.)
Old December 5, 2014, 07:43:50 PM
Keldeo

I have the odd urge to buy Final Fantasy: Theatre Rhythm for some reason. I played the demo and liked it a lot, does anyone here have it and think it's worth the 30 dollars?