Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Video and Computer Games

Notices

Search this Thread
Old December 20, 2014, 10:25:52 AM

Default Rare Amiibo

As of now, Nintendo has released a total of 18 amiibo characters for Smash bros; the most recent wave being 3 days ago where characters like Zelda, Diddy Kong, and Little Mac were released.

Collectors of amiibo have categorized most of the amiibo characters; those that are mass-produced and those that have been discontinued from production. Of course, the ones that are discontinued are considered to be the most rare. Nintendo's production rates of individual amiibo are largely impacted by franchise popularity, which is why you always see Mario and Pikachu amiibo in stores with plenty of stock. It shows that Nintendo has a slight bias; mass producing the character that they feel are most popular while producing less of the characters that they deem as obscure.

The mass produced ones, such as Mario, Pikachu, and Link can be found in practically every store that sells amiibo. These ones are common and normally cost around $13.

Discontinued amiibo however, are much harder to find and get sold out in stores relatively quickly. The three notable amiibo that have been discontinued from production are Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Marth; Marth being considered the most rare.
Click image for larger version

Name:	amiibo-villager.jpg
Views:	1452
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	6591Click image for larger version

Name:	amiibo-wii-fit-trainer.jpg
Views:	1717
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	6592Click image for larger version

Name:	amiibo-marth.jpg
Views:	1557
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	6593
These are all believed to be sold out in stores at this point in time. Despite being sold in stores at $13 like other amiibo, people have taken advantage of their rarity and are selling these at nearly 5 times the price. I was looking on ebay recently, and each one seemed to be selling from around $50-60. Some people even bundle the three rare ones together for a price of over $100.

Rarity is not limited to just these three however, people are suspecting that Diddy Kong and Little Mac will be discontinued as well due to them being put into the category of obscure characters.

So how would you make amiibo more rare? How about only selling ones at certain stores? That's right, some future amiibo will only be sold at specific retail stores; like Shulk only being sold in Gamestop, Rosalina only being sold at Target, and Lucario only being sold at Toys R Us.

In addition to that, there are also amiibo defects that have also been popular among collectors. The defects tend to be more common in the amiibo that are mass produced.

Name:	Amiibo defect 1.jpg
Views:	1318
Size:	543.8 KB
ID:	6594
A Samus that had a cannon on both her arms instead of one that was sold for $2,500

Name:	Amiibo defect 2.jpg
Views:	715
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	6595
Or a legless Peach that was sold for $25,100
There's actually an article for this one:http://www.gamespot.com/articles/leg.../1100-6424149/

So yeah, amiibo are actually getting quite popular now among collectors. If you're like me and have a Villager amiibo, cherish it forever.
Old December 20, 2014, 12:02:13 PM
Keldeo

> $25,100 for an Amiibo

I don't often say this, but I think some people might be taking this a little too seriously.
Old December 20, 2014, 12:26:07 PM
Keldeo

Welp I'm going to have to try to find a Marth one since he is not going to be continued which sucks.
Old December 20, 2014, 01:03:12 PM
Celebi

Those 3 Amiibos are not discontinued, as I have been trying to tell everyone on GameFAQs. Nintendo just massively underestimated demand and still haven't put out a second shipment, likely due to Wave 2 currently taking up the shelf space.
Old December 20, 2014, 01:39:32 PM
Administrator

That Peach one didn't sell for $25k, those were mostly fake bids. No way would Peach missing one part sell for 10X the amount as Samus with an actual defect and having two blaster arms. Also viewing eBay there are tons of them with minor defects (missing paint, packaged improperly, etc).

As for the "rarer" ones, it's hard to tell if they are actually discontinued or just in short supply. Official Nintendo sources have claimed both of them.

Last edited by Yoshi648; December 20, 2014 at 01:39:37 PM.
Old December 20, 2014, 04:20:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuniclus View Post
Discontinued amiibo however, are much harder to find and get sold out in stores relatively quickly. The three notable amiibo that have been discontinued from production are Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Marth; Marth being considered the most rare.
Attachment 6591Attachment 6592Attachment 6593
These are all believed to be sold out in stores at this point in time. Despite being sold in stores at $13 like other amiibo, people have taken advantage of their rarity and are selling these at nearly 5 times the price. I was looking on ebay recently, and each one seemed to be selling from around $50-60. Some people even bundle the three rare ones together for a price of over $100.

Rarity is not limited to just these three however, people are suspecting that Diddy Kong and Little Mac will be discontinued as well due to them being put into the category of obscure characters.
Aw man, not the discontinuation rumor again. It's been debunked two weeks ago:
https://twitter.com/MKGLofficial/sta...58102857871361

As RotomGuy said, no amiibo are being discontinued at this time.

Anyway, I'm going to still need to snag the Lucario one, with it being only at Toys 'R' Us.

Also, just search eBay for "amiibo defect" and you'll get plenty of amusing, live results.
Old December 20, 2014, 09:22:21 PM
Keldeo

Oh, well that's good to hear that isn't the case at this point, then I won't worry about it to much. Got to love rumors, and me not double checking to make sure that they are true.
Old December 23, 2014, 09:58:56 AM
Volcarona

Can't wait for a Greninja Amiibo or perhaps Sonic